• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Loch Morar Monster (Morag; Mhorag)

This post on Dr Karl Shuker's blog mentions Morag along with some other lesser-known loch monsters. Some compelling eyewitness accounts...

Loch Morar has lost out in the celeb stakes to Loch Ness, but for my money it's a more intriguing place.

During WW2 my dad trained nearby (don't bother with the maths - he was a lot older than my mum) and was told by a wily old local - while being ferried across the loch on an exercise - that the whole Maggie thing had been made up. He was rowed back a couple of days later by another wily old local who swore blind he'd once paddled into the thing.

Isn't that just the way with monsters?

The only thing for sure is that many of the magical and otherworldly bodies of water that adorn the land of Scotland simply demand that something magical and otherworldly be beneath their glittering waters – because nothing that beautiful can just be normal.

During WW2 my dad trained nearby (don't bother with the maths - he was a lot older than my mum)

Same here, my old man was in WWII but I'm the age you'd expect his grandson to be. Maybe this is related to a tendency to overheat quickly?

It's from a site devoted to LNM sightings but this is a nice eye-witness account of Morag I hadn't heard before from 1975.

http://monster692.rssing.com/chan-6243047/all_p9.html

Includes this rather scary artists impression, click for larger.
View attachment 4306

I really like this 'portrait' of Morag; reminds me a bit of the Spicers and the "abomination" they claimed to have seen crossing the road near Loch Ness - as well as the primevally frightening quality about the very idea of lake monsters that so fascinated me as a child (not sure why; we lived hundreds of miles from any loch).

Also remember the Loch Morar film being shown on TV, I guess we pretty much all watched the same news back in the days of three channels...!

Agree about that witness 'portrait', it is the very essence of a lake monster

Reactions: BS3
Also remember the Loch Morar film being shown on TV, I guess we pretty much all watched the same news back in the days of three channels...!

Agree about that witness 'portrait', it is the very essence of a lake monster

Even as a fairly sceptical 'Fortean' I have to say there seems to be something more to lake monsters than simply tall tales, eels and misidentified logs. I feel like there's something in our brains, too: maybe an old memory of crocodiles and hippos and other submerged dangers. If you were postulating a Vallee-style 'phenomenon' there's certainly plenty for it to latch onto.

A mate used to spend his summer hols on Morar every year and he mentioned
the monster on a few occasions but I cant remember if he clamed to have seen it or not.

Even as a fairly sceptical 'Fortean' I have to say there seems to be something more to lake monsters than simply tall tales, eels and misidentified logs. I feel like there's something in our brains, too: maybe an old memory of crocodiles and hippos and other submerged dangers. If you were postulating a Vallee-style 'phenomenon' there's certainly plenty for it to latch onto.
We accept that people report ghost animals such as cats and dogs. In fact, I personally two people who have witnessed the same ghost cat at completely different times. So did some lumbering sea creatures find themselves stranded and thoroughly p*ssed off as the glaciers retreated and the land 'sprung' back up to create the lochs...?

Back