• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Loch Morar Monster (Morag; Mhorag)

austen27

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A very convincing account of a lake monster here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/opencountry.shtml

Ewan Mac Donald hires boats and fishes the Loch. He tells Richard the secret of Loch Morar, a secret to match any in the Highlands. The pitch black, inky depths of the Loch is home to a monster. Morag, the monster of Morar has been sited for centuries and was even mention by St. Columba but the locals are reluctant to talk about it, they say people will think they are exaggerating or fabricating stories to drum up tourism but whatever the truth Ewan's story seemed credible.

He claims to have spotted the monster twice and it bears a remarkable similarity to the it's more illustrious neighbour at Loch Ness. Black and long with a number of humps as it glides through the water but it appears to be a timid beast and camera shy. Ewan, at least, has no doubt of its existence.

You can listen to the programme again on the website. (The local theory is - giant eels!)

Im going to post a translation of the Danish site soon - it'll just take some time.

Recently, last month in fact just before he went to mongolia to look for the death worm, Richard Freeman, Davey Curtis and Lisa Dowley went on an expedition to loch Morar for the Centre for Fortean Zoology.

It's up on the CFZ website now, should you care to follow the link...
http://www.cfz.org.uk/expeditions/morag/morag.htm

Very good read there! loch Morar, lots I didn't know! 1000 ft deep ! great report!

Excellent site Lord Flashheart - it would be intersting to get more info on eunuch eels however , as I feel this is an angle well worth examining . There was a thread on these boards a while back :

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13998
Link is obsolete. The current link is:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/eunuch-eels.13998/

Last edited by a moderator:
But for those who seek the true creature behind these stories, the most telling line below speaks of the slow moving dark hump seen in the loch at the end of the nineteenth century.

Why? unless you can propose some sort of rationale for accepting one and dismissing the other I'm having the mermaid.

I think you seek neither "cnap dubh" nor mermaid, oldrover.

I don't believe in anything in the lochs as you say, my point is what evidence do you have to say that there is.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but this is a cryptozoology forum, where these things are discussed.

Well clearly (to me anyway) these people from Victorian times were claiming to see something dark and hump like very much in keeping with modern sighting descriptions of the "upturned boat" variety.

What it was is an entirely different matter. The first thing is to establish a similarity of circumstances.

Roland

Yes but they're also claiming to see mermaids, I feel that this calls into question how seriously, or perhaps how literally any of the accounts should be taken. Also if you want to rely on eye witness testimony, unless of course you can show reason why not, you have to treat sightings of mere-folk and anomalous black humps equally. Just because one may seem more plausible to our modern way of thinking isn't reason enough to favour it. After all, and I'm really not trying to be funny just giving my opinion, to someone like me both seem equally unlikely.

I read a UFO book once which claimed a contactee went to Loch Ness and spoke to a talking alien Nessie. Should I treat that equally with other modern single hump sightings?

Roland

Of course no one would seriously expect you to, but on the other hand why not? I'm not being critical of your particular position I'm thinking more of the wider point, if a researcher is going to rely on eye witness testimony and they select only the bits that make sense to them then all they're doing is building a skewed argument which only says what they want to hear, rather than examining objective reality.

I'm not saying that applies to you personally just that it's a natural pitfall of anecdotal evidence.

Can't see anything.

Nope. All I see is islands.

Here's a screenshot

Link
Link is dead; photo MIA.

EDIT: Large image changed to clickable link by WJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
gerardwilkie said:
Here's a screenshot
Spare me!

I've seen more convincing monsters in a fire, or in clouds or in the leaves of trees.

In fact I saw a very convincing dragon in a tree in the car park of my local recently.
With the wind, it appeared to be weaving its head about, and snapping its jaws!

@gerardwilkie - You are obviously using Windows 7 as I do. There's a handy "Snipping Tool" in the Accessories folder - you can post far better screen shots with that than the old PRTSC.

I hear Justin has a photo of it on an old hard drive. I'll have a word & get him to post it.

From link -

In February 2004 two Canadian tourists came upon a 25-foot eel floating in the shallows of Loch Ness. At first they thought it was dead but when it began to move they beat a hasty retreat.

Sorry for slightly derailing things but does anyone know if there is any truth in this statement? I've never heard of such a report before.
I saw a very badly decomposed carcass of what looked like it could have once been an eel, about six feet long. It was in the shallows of a small lake among some disused lead mine workings, up on the moors.

It's from a site devoted to LNM sightings but this is a nice eye-witness account of Morag I hadn't heard before from 1975.

http://monster692.rssing.com/chan-6243047/all_p9.html

Includes this rather scary artists impression, click for larger.
Loch-Morar-Land-Sighting.jpg

From link -

Sorry for slightly derailing things but does anyone know if there is any truth in this statement? I've never heard of such a report before.
I saw a very badly decomposed carcass of what looked like it could have once been an eel, about six feet long. It was in the shallows of a small lake among some disused lead mine workings, up on the moors.
I don't know the truth of the report you describe, sorry. I do think the 'big eel' thing has merit though.

A six foot angillla anguilla would be around 20lb at least I'd have thought.

Back