• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lockdown Monster Flicks

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Beat those lockdown blues with some ace monster movies,.

Number 1. The Boogens. Weird horror from 1981. They just had to go and re-open that old Colorado silver mine. Now something nasty and hungry has awoken. Why oh why won't people listen to grizzled old miners tales and warnings?

Number 2. Horror Express, 1972. Something is running amok on the trans-Siberian express! Its a zombie yeti possessed by an etheric Lovecraftian entity that sucks your brains. Only two gallant Englishmen can stop it, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing . Telly Savalis turns up as a Cossack too. Runs very like a 1970s Doctor Who story.

Number 3. Q: The Winged Serpent. 1982. Richard Roundtree and David Carradine are two New York cops investigating everyday crimes of human sacrifice and some huge winged monster plucking people out of penthouse swimming pools and off skyscraper constructions sites. Only Michael Moriarty's low level crook knows where the monster's lair is.. A Mexican dragon worship cult has literally prayed the winged serpent god Quetzalcoatl back into existence, and its hungry. Quite possibly the best horror move ever made.

Number 4. Island of Terror, 1966. Peter Cushing is a boffin investigating weird deaths on an island. People are turning up with their bones sucked out as wibbly-wobbly corpses. The culprits? Silicates bone sucking, lab bred horrors, an awful side effect of a failed experiment. Again, feels like Doctor Who (real Doctor Who not modern toss).

Number 5. Night of the Big Heat, 1967. Released in the US under the great title Island of the Burning Dammed. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are fighting monsters on another island. This time its strange deaths seeming to be spontaneous human combustion. The torried monsters look like giant fried eggs.

Last edited:
Number 6. Abominable Snowmen. 1957. Peter Cushing gets into some scrapes. Here he is searching for the yeti (hey i've done that!). The yeti is not quite the monster it seems. Written by Nigel Kneale of Quatermass fame. Also features Mr Brown from Sykes.

Last edited:
Number 6. Abominable Snowmen. 1957. Peter Cushing gets into some scrapes. Here he is searching for the yeti (hey i've done that!). The yeti is now quite the monster it seems. Written by Nigel Kneale of Quatermass fame. Also features Mr Brown from Sykes.

I have this on dvd somewhere in a 50 movie collection called 'Legengs of Horror/Terror' it's a little cheesy, but watchable.

This could be good ..

abeasterbunny.jpg

Number 7: Lair of The White Worm 1988. One of the few cases of the film being better than the book. Bram Stoker's novel is dis-jointed and rambling. The film is much better. Peter Capaldi (the last true Doctor) fights a giant, white, supernatural serpent and its worshipper. Amanda Donohoe looks saucy as f**k. Loosley based on the legend of the Lambton Worm.

Number 8: TerrorVision 1986. Comedy horror. A dysfunctional American family (swinging mum and dad, gun nut grandad, punk daughter and wimpy son) install a new tv satellite dish that picks up and alien monster. Features a really hot Elvira knock off.

Number 9. Troll 1986. in seven parts (sorry) Michael Moriarty of Q The Winged Serpent fame plays Harry Potter (honest!) and fights a fairy incursion led by an evil troll called Torock.

Number 9. Troll 1986. in seven parts (sorry) Michael Moriarty of Q The Winged Serpent fame plays Harry Potter (honest!) and fights a fairy incursion led by an evil troll called Torock.
I used to have that on VHS.

Number 10. Night of the Demon,no not the classic based on M R James Casting of the Runes but a 1980 video nasty that bigfoot cast as a serial killer. The hairy hominin rips his way through campers and fisherman with gay abandon for no apparent reason. He sort of looks like the 1970s tv Hulk painted brown with bits of shagpile carpet on him.

I have this, and Troll 2 (yes, I know they're unrelated, but they're both worth it!) - I shall be viewing both films as a double feature tomorrow night!

I'm partial to the Trollenberg Terror/Crawling Eye myself. (Not sure why it has two different titles.)
Psychic woowoo meets decapitating space invaders in an Alpine village. Includes a funicular chase scene.

I'm partial to the Trollenberg Terror/Crawling Eye myself. (Not sure why it has two different titles.)
Psychic woowoo meets decapitating space invaders in an Alpine village. Includes a funicular chase scene.
Quite a few films have more than one title.

I feel drawn to 'Attack of the giant leeches'. If you google it, the costumes look... what is the word...? Terrifying I suppose. Amazing. A modern version would not be the same.
I can imagine--I'd be terrified by an attack of the normal sized leeches!

Number 13 Death in The Water 2018. An all female crew of environmental activists are tracking illegal fishing vessels. They are about to have a bad day as their engine breaks, a massive storm builds and they pick up an unconscious man from the sea who just happens to be harbouring a deadly deep sea parasite.

Lockdown Monster Flicks: Number 14: Monster from a Prehistoric Planet 1967. An expedition from Japan looking for new animal exhibits travels to the South Pacific and finds a baby dragon. They take it back to their park in Tokyo but soon the three hundred foot fire spitting mum and dad turn up to get their baby back. The dragons look like Godzilla mated with Mrs Rodan.

Number 15: Blood on Satan's Claw, 1971. A ploughboy turns up an inhuman skull in 17th century England. Before you can say Behemoth there is a teenage devil worship cult growing patches of the deamon's skin on themselves and led by the trouser tee-pee inducing Angel Blake (Lynda Hayden). The best folk horror movie ever.

Number 13 Death in The Water 2018. An all female crew of environmental activists are tracking illegal fishing vessels. They are about to have a bad day as their engine breaks, a massive storm builds and they pick up an unconscious man from the sea who just happens to be harbouring a deadly deep sea parasite.

That was terrible. Pretty much an all female 'Alien' at sea with excessive histrionic screaming & irrationality in the dark. Having invested ¾ of an hour I felt compelled to watch to the end & it didn't get any better. 3/10.

Checking out blood on satans claw now

Back