• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lockdown Monster Flicks

That was terrible. Pretty much an all female 'Alien' at sea with excessive histrionic screaming & irrationality in the dark. Having invested ¾ of an hour I felt compelled to watch to the end & it didn't get any better. 3/10.
Me and 'the Mrs' tried to watch it last night and came to the same conclusion .. although we were a bit pissed to be fair but it was shit after the first ten minutes with no sign of getting any better .. just a load of breathy actresses trying to out do each other was our opinion. All female cast films can work as was proven with the excellent 'The Descent' so no idea what went wrong with this one ... the cheap CGI didn't help it.

Checking out blood on satans claw now

I liked it. Pre-dated Evil Dead with 'man hacks his own hand off'. Creepy kids & Linda Hayden. Portrayed medieval time pretty well. Also good fun in spotting actors - the Mr Kipling man, Bennie from Crossroads..

Me and 'the Mrs' tried to watch it last night and came to the same conclusion .. although we were a bit pissed to be fair but it was shit after the first ten minutes with no sign of getting any better .. just a load of breathy actresses trying to out do each other was our opinion. All female cast films can work as was proven with the excellent 'The Descent' so no idea what went wrong with this one ... the cheap CGI didn't help it.

The Descent crops up fairly often on freeview. Never watched it but will have a look next time as you're recommending.

The Descent crops up fairly often on freeview. Never watched it but will have a look next time as you're recommending.
You're in for a treat, it's extremely well shot, no gender stereotype bullshit or the character you like and the character you don't like spoon fed to you .. and a good example of the 'it's what you don't see that scares you' school of horror.

l haven’t seen it listed for quite some time, but a good creature feature is The Ruins. For once l shan’t provide a link to a synopsis, as the nature of the creature involved is a pivotal aspect of the film’s surprises.

I was put in mind of it because - like The Descent - it contains a truly horrifying First Aid scene.

maximus otter

Number 16: Demonwarp, 1988. The woods in the rural US are a dangerous place to be. In Demonwarp not only is a killer bigfoot on the rampage but there are zombies and an alien. Like a cross between Night of the Demon (1980), Dawn of the Dead and Phantasm. There are so many monsters i was expecting Godzilla to turn up.

Number 16: Demonwarp, 1988. The woods in the rural US are a dangerous place to be. In Demonwarp not only is a killer bigfoot on the rampage but there are zombies and an alien. Like a cross between Night of the Demon (1980), Dawn of the Dead and Phantasm. There are so many monsters i was expecting Godzilla to turn up.
He'll turn up, in the sequel!

Number 17: Grabbers 2012. A small Irish Island is attacked by Lovecraftian, blood sucking monsters. The only defence against them is getting pissed as fuck. 70s Doctor Who meets Father Ted. Nuff said.

Shock Waves (1977) and Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) a slightly obscure double bill, would make good viewing for anyone into horror.

Watched "The Monster" yesterday (2016).
Obviously owes quite a bit to Alien, but transplanted from deep space to a remote, rain-swept road in rural USA.
An initially antagonistic mother and daughter develop a strong bond (think Ripley and Newt, even down to the "they said there are no real monsters - but there ARE" dialog), when faced with a barely-glimpsed big nasty with far too many teeth.
Fair bit of gore and make-you-jump moments, but doesn't really add much to the genre:

Number 11. Blood Beach, 1980. A giant flesh eating worm is sucking folks down and gobbling them up on a Santa Monica (is that Father Christmas' name?) beach. Soundtrack by Sandy Shaw.

Ooh I saw this at the cinema - it had the tagline "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...you can't get to it." as a reference to (more commercially successful) Jaws.

In honor of the Arachnophobia thread, I bring you . . .
THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION !!!!!!
(Don't ask me how it is, I couldn't watch this in a million years.)

In honor of the Arachnophobia thread, I bring you . . .
THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION !!!!!!
(Don't ask me how it is, I couldn't watch this in a million years.)
But isn't that you operating the giant spider?

Yes, from the inside. As long as I avoid mirrors, I'm ok.

Number 18: Spasms, 1983. Oliver Reed fights a giant, psychic tiapan. After being bitten by a 30 foot, demonic serpent in Micronesia big game hunter Jason Kinkaid develops a psychic link with the monster. Underdeveloped sub-plot about a snake worship cult as well.

Just rewatched The Host (2006 South Korean monster movie). It was heavily influenced by SARS and is particularly relevant today because it has a lot of content about government measures re viral pandemics. Fun movie, too.

Just rewatched The Host (2006 South Korean monster movie). It was heavily influenced by SARS and is particularly relevant today because it has a lot of content about government measures re viral pandemics. Fun movie, too.

CGI was pretty good for its time, I recall. Got it on DVD somewhere.

Back