• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Logan Stones (Rocking Stones; Logans)

A

Anonymous

LOGAN STONES - encounters with...

I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has ever had any curious, bizarre, interesting (insert own adjective) encounters with Logan stones.

These are rocks or large boulders that are balanced on a stack after being seperated by erosion of one sort or another so that if you stand or balance on them in the right way they will rock. I know of a few personally down here in Cornwall, where there are plenty dotted about the moors.

I don't know of any general folklore about them but they always seem to have a presence all their own, and each has it's own beat and distinctive rhythm when they're rocked.... anyway this particular tale:

During the wee small hours leading up to the solar eclipse a couple or so years back I was waiting with a bunch of folks on Helman Tor near St. Austell, and introduced a good friend (in the shape of a burly Welsh ex-para) to the local logan stone. There's a naturally worn hollow in it where you can curl up while someone sets the boulder in motion. The weirdest of sensations at the best of times. It has a lup-dup type heart beat that resonates deep into the granite around it.

My friend was so enchanted by it all that he stayed curled up in there while the rest of our party moved off up the hill to wait for the eclipse (one of the few places in Cornwall where the cloud broke enough to get a good view!). After an hour he surfaced and found us again but mumbling and gesticulating wildly with his tongue sticking out, lisping like a good 'un & unable to say a coherent word for sometime ...which was a marked change from his normal very animated self!! He got it together after half an hour, still sounding like he'd just come out from dental anaesthetic and managed to tell us how he'd fallen asleep in the hollow of the stone after we'd rocked him and had woken feeling refereshed but with his tongue having gone totally numb.

There was no pain, then or afterwards, so we ruled out him biting his own tongue, but he was absolutely convinced that something 'other' had come and robbed him of speech. Being a fairly rational ex-forces type he laughed at his own suggestion of faeries (they're piskies in Cornwall anyway!).

He was really side swiped by his experience but delighted by it never the less ... and seeing this guy who could normally talk the hind legs of a herd of donkies it was certainly an out of the ordinary experience for me seeing him literally stuck for words.

So ... anyone else encountered or experienced the unusual around these things ... and why are they called logan stones?

Photo attached of said stone (with my sprogling onboard).

nope seeing as the only one ive visted is the non rocking Logan rock down tother end..... but as a collector of all things Cornwall and Fortean/Riplean id be interested in where they are... any experience with cup carveings at the top of toor?..as i think Carew said was often found?...i havent seen any but then not many tors down here Nr Falmouth.

sidecar_jon said:
nope seeing as the only one ive visted is the non rocking Logan rock down tother end..... but as a collector of all things Cornwall and Fortean/Riplean id be interested in where they are... any experience with cup carveings at the top of toor?..as i think Carew said was often found?...i havent seen any but then not many tors down here Nr Falmouth.

The stone at the other end of Helman does rock too ... honest. I only found it by accident the other day after thinking it was a misprint on the Ordinance Survey (asif!). But it takes a couple of goes and is only very slight.

Ckeck out an Explorer map of Fowey perhaps as well!

able said:
Photo attached of said stone (with my sprogling onboard).

Can't see any attachment?

We've got the norber erratics up here, huge boulders left by retreating glaciers. Dunno if they rock tho! There're a few near me on Ilkley Moor (if they haven't been toppled yet!) I'll try and get up there and find 'em... several have legends associated with them.

Edit; ah! Just seen the pic in the General Forteana thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOGAN STONES - encounters with...
... and why are they called logan stones?

Here's what Wikipedia offers on terminology and the source of the "Logan stone" label.
Rocking stones (also known as logan stones or logans) are large stones that are so finely balanced that the application of just a small force causes them to rock. Typically, rocking stones are residual corestones formed initially by spheroidal weathering and have later been exposed by erosion or glacial erratics left by retreating glaciers. Natural rocking stones are found throughout the world. A few rocking stones might be man-made megaliths. ...

The word "logan" is probably derived from the word "log", which in an English dialect means to rock. In fact, in some parts of the UK, rocking stones or logan stones are called logging stones. The word "log" might be connected with the Danish word logre, which means to "wag a tail".

Davies Gilbert suggested that the word "logan" comes from a Cornish expression for the movement that someone makes when inebriated ...
FULL ARTICLE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocking_stone

Back