• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Logo gogo: bear with me, or, is this just bull?

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
This is very odd.

I now can't find anywhere on the internet (well, I've only searched for a couple of minutes, but....) an example of the clever, distinctive logo that comprised of a line-drawing of a bear, and a bull, facing-off against each-other. And somehow the line between them was both a bear, and a bull....

Was it the trade-mark for the NYSE?

Why, when I search for images, does it no longer appear to exist....? Only simpler boring, non-inventive ones seem to predominate, from Google image searches.

I'm certain my memory of this uniquely-clever logo design is a real memory. Well, in my reality it is.

Help! Has the internet obliterated this symbol? Some bizarre IPR cull??? Or am I in a parallel reality?

No, that's my point.

The
definitive one has utterly vanished, and isn't reappearing during searches. All we see are these generic unmaginative stock ones, that you've linked to.

Aghh! Please tell me I haven't slipped into another dimension.

(Presumably in this world, the Eiffel Tower is still a bigger version of Blackpool Tower; which, in turn, is a smaller version of the Eiffel Tower?)

Are you sure it's not a mild variant on false memory syndrome? I get this when I remember, say, a photograph and when I see the actual picture it's been reversed in my memory or some detail is different, but I've been so sure of my false version it makes me wonder.

I had this today where I was showing a colleague a photo of me with her new boyfriend taken in a drunken state at a post-event closing party.

I was explaining to her how her beau was holding a red balloon on a string and due to the height difference AND me standing on a step it looked like he was a tiny child.

Then I found the picture and it was me holding the balloon, which gave the photo an altogether more creepy angle, but nonetheless was not what I had distinctly remembered.

I had an intense bout of false memory not too long ago. For years I would mention to my wife a moment on short-lived 1980's UK kids TV show "Number 73" when Iggy Pop was a studio guest and simulated sex with a cuddly stuffed polar bear toy (thrown to him by a member of the cast) to the strains of his song "Real Wild Child", or "Wild One" or whatever it was called. As a child watching it at the time, I found this hilarious. (And, to be fair, still do). For years, I assumed my memory of this incident was incredibly vivid. Anyway, my wife and I were watching one of those cheesy "I love the 1980's" type TV shows when the infamous Iggy footage was shown (the first time I had seen it since the original screening); except it wasn't a polar bear, it was a large, stuffed, standard brown teddy bear that he picked up from the side of the stage.

Up until that moment I had been positive it was a white, fluffy polar bear Mr Pop had been dry-humping, thrown to him by an unwitting presenter.

Last edited:
No, that's my point.

The
definitive one has utterly vanished, and isn't reappearing during searches. All we see are these generic unmaginative stock ones, that you've linked to.

Aghh! Please tell me I haven't slipped into another dimension.

(Presumably in this world, the Eiffel Tower is still a bigger version of Blackpool Tower; which, in turn, is a smaller version of the Eiffel Tower?)
Perhaps this was the logo of a particular stockbrokerage firm that's now out of business - hence the disappearing logo?

Perhaps this was the logo of a particular stockbrokerage firm that's now out of business - hence the disappearing logo?
I strongly believed that the (apparently?) now-disappeared infinitely-clever logo was for either the investment sector on a generic basis, or for the New York Stock Exchange.

I'm vague about the organisational respresentation ....but not about the specifics of the logo design.

This is weird.

I strongly believed that the (apparently?) now-disappeared infinitely-clever logo was for either the investment sector on a generic basis, or for the New York Stock Exchange.

I'm vague about the organisational respresentation ....but not about the specifics of the logo design.

This is weird.

Perhaps something a little more like this?
http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp7865892.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I did used to see something similar, I think on the CNN stock market reports. I didn't pay close enough attention to note the details you mentioned, but it does sound familiar. It was a line drawing of a bear and bull at any rate. Whether it was a CNN logo, a NYSE logo or a specific firm that was sponsoring the report, I don't know.

ETA - thinking about it, the dominant image was a line drawing of the Wall Street bull statue, but I'm sure there was a bear in there somewhere. Can't find it in an image search either, though.

ETA again- my spouse says he's never seen anything like this :eek: but is insisting that the NYSE would never have a bear anywhere near its logo, being that it's bad luck. He says it's much more likely to have been something a news organization drew up for its financial report.

Since everything I know about the stock market you could stuff in a gnat's ear, his guess is better than mine. *shrugs*

Hopefully that's the last of the edits for now.

Last edited:
No, these sketch drawings aren't even close.

The reason why this mystery is really sticking with me is that, in my plane of existence, the trademark/symbol that I distinctly remember seeing, was:
  • uniquely-clever, in it's graphical design
  • an attempt to be symbolically-representative of the investment sector, both at a glance, and when subjected to deeper analysis (nb I can expand upon what I mean by this, extensively)
  • fairly-widespread in it's use (though I fail completely when I attempt to quantify this)
  • genuinely iconic (though, it would seem, only to me....and not at a swastika/peace symbol/crucifix level of iconicity, but: very nearly)
Some possible explanations
  • Pre internet-era symbol only ever seen in print, analogue tv and old adverts?
  • Disappearance associated with an economic slump or financial house closure?
  • Design was 'so good', that the copyright IPR holders sought, and obtained, a Google all-territories withold-and-refrain order? (this sounds odd, but a variation upon this may have occurred)
  • Google ImageSearch (and other coprepending/ herd-vector algorithmic based search engines) may just be masking the sought target, because of their demo-dynamic natures. If I succeed in finding it, it then becomes findable by others.....perhaps almost a differential calculus inverse Googlewhack.
I'm not letting this one drop.

If it's a test, then I can do nothing but accept the challenge. If it's an effect (FMS) then I must do everything except ignore it. And, if it just suddenly appears, I shall be slightly-more satisfied with the world.

If it was once all over the Internet, it can't have disappeared altogether - at least not all in one go.
So, that makes it all the more baffling.
Good luck with your new life mission.

Was it this one?

bull_bear.png

This Escher-influenced design incorporates numerous bull/bear combos; it doesn't sound like the one you are looking for, but it is clever.
CBRE_BullBear.jpg

This Escher-influenced design incorporates numerous bull/bear combos; it doesn't sound like the one you are looking for, but it is clever.
CBRE_BullBear.jpg
I thought I'd seen most of Escher's stuff - clearly not!

Back