London Explosions: Speculation / Discussion

taras

Least Haunted
[Emp edit: This thread is for discussion of the bombings - if you have news from a reputable news source then post it here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22742 ]

-------------------

And all the police are stuck up in Gleneagles dealing with the massive anarchist threat...

Wouldn't take a genius to see something was going to happen. I hope they prepared for it.

EvilPumpkin

Devoted Cultist
My God this is awful, is anyone near Tavistock Place? My colleague lives there and is worried about flatmates. Blair is making a speech at lunchtime to update us

CodenameThrow

Abominable Snowman
Just heard four or five bangs near to Leicester Square. It COULD just be lorries or something or maybe thunder as we can't see any smoke.

*absolutely shitting self*

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My London geography isn't very linked up. Would appreciate if someone could tell me: is the Guildhall anywhere near any of the confirmed explosion sites?

CygnusRex

Abominable Snowman
The Yithian said:
My London geography isn't very linked up. Would appreciate if someone could tell me: is the Guildhall anywhere near any of the confirmed explosion sites?
Guildhall is about 15mins walk from Liverpool street

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Thanks guys, Stepfather there at a meeting at 9am - and obviously no word due to phone networks failling.

*mild concern*

A

Anonymous

Hope you guys that have to work in the centre are all okay. Also hope you've got bikes.

I had to cycle into Central London, to work, a few times, in the early Nineties, because of IRA bomb alerts.

It'll be chaos, for the rest of the day, at the very least. :(

A

Anonymous

FuManChu said:
AndroMan said:
Because the Met. and M15 are all up there, too.
All the more reason to blow things up in haggisland. The terrorists these days, they just haven't got a clue, it's not like it was in the old days.
It's in the very nature of modern terrorism to go for soft targets. Unfortunately.

With all the brooh haha over G8, as well as the Olympics coming as a bit of a surprise, eyes may have been slightly off the ball.

NilesCalder

Justified & Ancient
Quixote said:
I'd just got the breaking news alert too, my thoughts are with all the London/SE members, keep safe.

We'll have this thread stickied for the time being.
Can we have a quick head count of our London members. Anyone heard from SK FoEx?

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Terror attack in London

Can't see a thread about this anywhere, pleases feel free to merge with one if there is one. Wasn't sure where to post this either!

What is going on! Have heard 6 buses blown up, 1 bus blown up, whole underground network closed, suicide bomber shot at Canary Wharf.

Anyone got any truth's?

CodenameThrow

Abominable Snowman
Conners and Jerry have radioed in OK

could this be an info thread and can we start a separate speculation/discussion one

that way we don't have to wade through reasoning to get the numbers when they come in.

People are trapped in Kings X but no more explosions for now. Seems to be done for effect rather than major damage.

Sirens everywhere around Leicester Square and we've been told not to leave the office. This is really quite terrifying

hokum6

Abominable Snowman
Nope and everyone is too busy running about like a headless chicken to give any information. Probably won't get any clear facts until tonight.

Am awaiting the moment when the Government uses this as an excuse for ID cards with baited breath. :?

A

Anonymous

It's all very sad and so unnecessary. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear in subsequent days from family members of some of the dead that the victims were opposed to the things the "Islamic" terrorists say motivate them to carry out these atrocities, i.e. territorial presence in in Muslim countries etc.

(An Islamicist group has just claimed responsibility - could be rubbish though).

As they're saying on the news, these attacks seem to be about impact rather than mass fatalities. They've created a lot of concern and confusion across the capital and the country at large, but fortunately, if I can use the word, there don't seem to be more than two men or women who have lost their lives. Obviously that will come as zero consolation to the families of the people who have been murdered, but hopefully you will appreciate that I'm not trying to understate what's happened, only trying to look at what these heartless mothers were expecting to achieve "tactically".

I say, let's get back into 80s/90s mode, remember what we did when the IRA were active on the mainland, and say "sod 'em", and stick with plans to head out to the pub, cinema etc in subsequent days regardless of these events. **edit - not today though. No-one go out today, just stay in with a cup of Bovril**

I watched Blair's statement a few minutes ago. The reporters commenting after it said that he seemed "visibly shaken". I must say that I found his pained mannerisms as affected as ever, but perhaps I'm just being cynical. I'm sure he is genuinely concerned, but he always comes across as so practised and artificial that it's hard to hell.

Fingers crossed that there aren't any more bombs waiting to get people once everything appears to have clamed down later today.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Well, a big pat on the back to Blair. All these terror suspects who were no threat to us and all those fundamentalists who were allowed to carry on preaching their hate ahve got what they wanted.
Nice one Blair.

A

Anonymous

McAvennie said:
Well, a big pat on the back to Blair. All these terror suspects who were no threat to us and all those fundamentalists who were allowed to carry on preaching their hate ahve got what they wanted.
Nice one Blair.
No point in speculating about that sort of shit, just yet, McA. These scumbags could have come from anywhere. Been almost anybody. Sitting nice and quiet for years.

We just don't know. Plenty of time for apportioning blame, later.

taras

Least Haunted
London Explosions: Speculation/Discussion

(Branched off from the main thread which is now for info only, I hope this is OK!)

Connors - Completely agree about Blair... looked like he was stepping up for his moment of glory. Remember Tony, this is the one they will show in 20 years time! Lots of pauses, now!

At one point the news ticker on BBC said "Government source says up to 20 dead" but it hasn't come back since..

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
FuManChu said:
AndroMan said:
All the more reason to blow things up in haggisland. The terrorists these days, they just haven't got a clue, it's not like it was in the old days.
Is that supposed to be funny?

lordborealmark2

Devoted Cultist
I'm lucky that I don't have anyone close to me in London, and my girlfriend was due to travel down there for work tommorow. There's no way she's doing that now.

Not wanting to be grim or panicky here, but if anyone's in any of the other big cities just be careful, as there's always a slim possiblity that there may be other targets, although my gut instincts tell me that they've achieved the distress and disruption they were after.

Anyway, my thoughts are with everyone from here down that way.

owenwhiteoak

Devoted Cultist
Fortean Towers

Just to reassure you...

The Dennis Publishing office is only a few hundred yards from Tavistock Square -- but the FT team are all okay. David is stuck at home because of the tubes being out of action; Bob and Paul always work from home and Val wasn't due in until this afternoon, so we at least are safe for now.

I wish the same were true for those caught in the blasts.

CodenameThrow

Abominable Snowman
OK I'm guessing that the four or five bangs I heard earlier were NOT explosions as we have heard nothing. Police have confirmed seven full stop.

Maybe controlled blasts? Maybe just very, very heavy lorries - they sometimes make loud bangs on the road round here.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Min Bannister said:
FuManChu said:
AndroMan said:
Is that supposed to be funny?
Assume it's the Blitz-Spirit

Yith "More Open Than Usual" Ian.

Cider3

Ephemeral Spectre
Since he's stuck in the middle of it all with no chance of getting home tonight, I think that you're right Yith.

A

Anonymous

Some news info...a friend in New York reports that the news there says that the mobile phone network network around London was literally switched off in case phones were used to detonate devices.

This might explain why, when I tried to dial mobile numbers from a landline, I didn't get the "busy" tone you associate with a full network at concerts or New Year's Eve etc., but just a line-dead sound.

My own phone still functioned for GPRS but remains completely dead for GSM.

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
Yep if people want to post news in this thread:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22742

and talk about it here we'll try and keep things sorted. Its going to be a chaotic day.

Also we'll keep merging other threads although if someone wants to start one in Conspiracy later to look at the non-mainstream angles on this that would be fine.

Anyway hope the London FTMBers and their families are fine.

Soooooooooooo timing.

During the G8 and immediately after the Olympics are given to London (I wonder why they waited until after) - are the police numbers seriously down? Not that it matters as there is little chance of catching such bombers.

I am also interested to hear them jumping on the Al Qaeda explanation so early when we've actually had more deaths caused by random nutters (although coordinaitng a sequence of blasts across London suggests a group it could still be a lone lunatic - and of course this is wrtten when there are ny 2 confirmed deaths and I'm afraid the numbers will climb - just a suggestion not to jump to conclusions quite yet). Lets hope this doesn't turn into a Birmingham Pub Bombing situation.

Anyway stiff upper lip, spirit of the Blitz, etc. and lets hope this is the end of it (sometimes secondary bombs are set up to catch emergency services) ~fingers crossed~

hokum6

Abominable Snowman
Tony Blair has said terrorists will not succeed in destroying "our values and our way of life" after blasts hit London's transport network.
Blair has been getting tips from Dubya's speech writer! Noooo, not our freedoms!

From the BBC comments section:
I suppose, to be honest, my first thought was G8, Olympics, somebody does not want London to celebrate.
Oh come on.