• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

London Ghost Books (And Other British Ghost Books)

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Spinning off from the London Underground thread, where we have been discussing books...I wonder if anyone can recommend a couple of books about ghosts/haunting in London that I can buy?

I have in mind:

One which has some easily digestible "anecdotes"/interesting stories.

And one which is more of a geographical guide.

(I think this thread will then branch out into thoughts on ghost books of the British Isles.)

I have found the following to be well reviewed online for consideration:

Haunted London - Charles Fowkes

Haunted London - E Ashley Rooney

Haunted London - James Clark

Haunted London - Richard Jones

Haunted London - Ross Guthrie

The West End Ghost Book - Paul Fitz-George

Walking Haunted London - Richard Jones

(I own the excellent London Lore by Steve Roud, which is more of a general folklore book with some ghosts included.)

Last edited:
Spinning off from the London Underground thread, where we have been discussing books...I wonder if anyone can recommend a couple of books about ghosts/haunting in London that I can buy?

I have in mind,

One which has some easily digestible "anecdotes"/interesting stories.

And one which is more of a geographical guide.

(I think this thread will then branch out into thoughts on ghost books of the British Isles.)

I have found the following to be well reviewed online for consideration:

Haunted London - Charles Fowkes

Haunted London - E Ashley Rooney

Haunted London - James Clark

Haunted London - Richard Jones

Haunted London - Ross Guthrie

The West End Ghost Book - Paul Fitz-George

Walking Haunted London - Richard Jones

(I own the excellent London Lore by Steve Roud, which is more of a general folklore book with some ghosts included.)
I can recommend Walking Haunted London.

Also there are the following

Haunted West End Theatres - Ian John Shillito and Becky Walsh

Haunted London Pubs - David Brandon and Alan Brooke

Haunted London Underground - David Brandon and Alan Brooke

I'd recommend Della Farrant's Haunted Highgate. The History Press's series of local ghost books can be very hit and miss, but this one is top notch. As I've stated on the Weirdest Ghost thread, in relation to Highgate's famous ghostly chicken!:

I don't have it to hand just now - but I'm pretty sure that Della Farrant in her book Haunted Highgate casts quite a lot of doubt on the authenticity of this rather attractive story.

Unlike too many authors of such locale specific books, Farrant has clearly done plenty of legwork herself, rather than simply reiterated local tales without recourse to research and interviews. Highgate is a notoriously haunted area, with a significant local interest in it's own culture, history and lore - and although it's often suggested that this is a 'well-known' and ongoing phenomenon, I'm pretty sure that Farrant struggles to find anyone local who has heard of any recent manifestations, and I'm not sure that the story is even particularly well-known in the area, compared to other supposedly paranormal ones. It seems to be one of those stories that has more of an online life than it does in the real world.

Farrant also does a pretty good job of demolishing the Bacon stuffed chicken story - already debunked in several histories of Bacon and his life. So the Pythonesque WW2 era story of an RAF man encountering the partly plucked chicken in a blacked out Pond Square (the specific locality of the alleged manifestations) after hearing an apparent replay of the event - hoofbeats, the sound of carriage wheels coming to a sudden halt, squawking chicken - may all be a replay of an event that never actually happened.

The author does make one interesting suggestion in regard to a particular story regarding the chicken allegedly disappearing into a solid brick wall. There is a very narrow alley leading off Pond Square - on a dark night, or a foggy afternoon, and with the witness situated at a certain angle to the event, a chicken running off the square up this alley might actually appear to be disappearing into solid masonry.

It's worth pointing out that Farrant is not by any means a serial debunker - she clearly does believe that there's a lot of oddness in the area, but is obviously just not convinced about the chicken thing.

And yes, she is related to that guy - although her book is admirably neutral on certain related subjects.

Probably goes without saying that Swains Lane and the Highgate Cemeteries get a fair bit of coverage, but Farrant also covers more modern, and less well-known events

I'd recommend Della Farrant's Haunted Highgate.

The History Press's series of local ghost books can be very hit and miss, but this one is upper end of the spectrum (and has a foreward by Alan Murdie – which is a kind of recommendation).

As I've stated on the Weirdest Ghost thread, in relation to Highgate's famous ghostly chicken!:

I don't have it to hand just now - but I'm pretty sure that Della Farrant in her book Haunted Highgate casts quite a lot of doubt on the authenticity of this rather attractive story.

Unlike too many authors of such locale specific books, Farrant has clearly done plenty of legwork herself, rather than simply reiterated local tales without recourse to research and interviews. Highgate is a notoriously haunted area, with a significant local interest in it's own culture, history and lore - and although it's often suggested that this is a 'well-known' and ongoing phenomenon, I'm pretty sure that Farrant struggles to find anyone local who has heard of any recent manifestations, and I'm not sure that the story is even particularly well-known in the area, compared to other supposedly paranormal ones. It seems to be one of those stories that has more of an online life than it does in the real world.

Farrant also does a pretty good job of demolishing the Bacon stuffed chicken story - already debunked in several histories of Bacon and his life. So the Pythonesque WW2 era story of an RAF man encountering the partly plucked chicken in a blacked out Pond Square (the specific locality of the alleged manifestations) after hearing an apparent replay of the event - hoofbeats, the sound of carriage wheels coming to a sudden halt, squawking chicken - may all be a replay of an event that never actually happened.

The author does make one interesting suggestion in regard to a particular story regarding the chicken allegedly disappearing into a solid brick wall. There is a very narrow alley leading off Pond Square - on a dark night, or a foggy afternoon, and with the witness situated at a certain angle to the event, a chicken running off the square up this alley might actually appear to be disappearing into solid masonry.

It's worth pointing out that Farrant is not by any means a serial debunker - she clearly does believe that there's a lot of oddness in the area, but is obviously just not convinced about the chicken thing.

And yes, she is related to that guy - although her book is admirably neutral on certain related subjects.

Probably goes without saying that Swains Lane and the Highgate Cemeteries get a fair bit of coverage, but Farrant also covers more modern, and less well-known events and more modern hauntings – including a fairly extensive outing to the Hillcrest Estate. On further reading around the subject, it seems that some of the ‘legwork’ I assumed in that original recommendation might be the product of her husband’s earlier research – however, it appears she’s built on the original, and this is definitely not one of those books that exclusively regurgitates other sources verbatim, or almost verbatim.

I have a couple of other London focused books in the series: I think I found Haunted West End a little disappointing (it’s a long while since I read them – so I may be being unfair), but Haunted Lambeth a more satisfying read. As I said – I think that whole series can be a bit variable in quality.

Another satisfying read - not specifically ghost centric, but with many of excursions in that direction - would be Peter Bushell's London's Secret History. Out of print, but second hand copies are available - and even the hardback is reasonable priced. A good read, and an easy must for a Londonist.

Much more location specific is Noah Angell and Francis Gooding's Ghost Stories of the British Museum. Although a fairly recent publication, I think this is maybe hard to get a hold of now - but worth looking out for.

Again, quoting myself from elsewhere:

...It's more of a pamphlet, at only around 25 pages, containing eleven separate stories from staff of all stripes. The stories are presented as pretty raw, verbatim transcripts with no authorial intervention. They are also somehow very satisfying - you'd expect an arena as spectacular and dramatic as the British Museum to encourage equally spectacular claims, but although the tales clearly do reflect some of the drama of the surroundings and the object contained within, they never fly away into the unnecessarily theatrical, and all the stories have a tone of raw and unadulterated experience.

For the size of it, it wasn't cheap (I reckon it cost me about 40 pence per page), but I'm happy to have put my hand in my pocket as hopefully it's funding what is an ongoing project with - fingers crossed - a much more substantial publication at the end of it...

There was a suggestion that this might have been a bit of a tester for a larger project - I really hope so.

Last edited:
Two good books, now out-of-print but you may be able to get them 2nd hand from Abebooks:

Walking Haunted Greenwich Part 1: The Old Royal Naval College
Walking Haunted Greenwich Part 2: Deptford to the Dome

Both are by Malcolm C. Godfrey and published by Time For Greenwich. As I recall, Part 2 was easier to get hold of, and I had to hunt around quite a bit for Part 1.

I also have Haunted Wandsworth by James Clark, The History Press, but can't remember if it is any good. Likewise with Mysterious Kingston by Barbara and Tracy Russell, Roebuck Press, almost certainly out of print.

Around Haunted Croydon, out of print, by Frances D. Stewart is good. You might be able to pick up a second-hand copy.
I also have Mysterious Wimbledon by Ruth Murphy and Clive Whichelow, about which I remember nothing, but is probably another out-of-print book.

I forgot to mention Ghosts of the Tower of London by G. Abbott which is a good read, written by a retired yeoman warder.

Also, I forgot that I had recently put Haunted Lambeth by James Clark on my Amazon wish list... now ordered!

Last edited:
There is also:

London Underground Ghost Stories by Jill Armitage Bradwell books small paperback but has photos of some locations and some stories.

Ghosts of London by H.V.Morton Methuen 1st published 16th Nov 1939 and reprinted many times (Mine is 1959) is not a ghost book but details some aspects of historical London (Historic in 1939 remember!) Hansom cabs, Lamp lighters, a herb shop, etc interesting background to the world some of the ghosts may have known.

I also have Haunted Wandsworth by James Clark, The History Press, but can't remember if it is any good.
I just dug out Haunted Wandsworth to refresh my memory - I couldn't remember it because it was still in my (enormous) "to read" pile. I had started it but got bogged down in a lengthy treatment of the "Poltergeist Prince" case, which didn't much interest me because I've read the dedicated book, which has James Clark as coauthor, funnily enough. To be fair, the summary in Haunted Wandsworth is a decent summary, and a skim through the rest of the book gives me the impression that it's better than some local ghost books (the ones that make me really annoyed are the ones that don't respect their subject matter - I have a book, somewhere, where the introduction was pretty much "this is a load of silly gullible nonsense, but here we go).

Last edited:
Picked this booklet up in a local Charity shop (in Farnham) yesterday. It is signed by the author.
It was published in 1993. Only had a brief skim through so far but it has accounts of hauntings I have never heard about before. I might put some of them on here when I have had a proper read.

Attachments

• DSC_0119-1.jpg
    DSC_0119-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Picked this booklet up in a local Charity shop (in Farnham) yesterday. It is signed by the author.
It was published in 1993. Only had a brief skim through so far but it has accounts of hauntings I have never heard about before. I might put some of them on here when I have had a proper read.

Please do post extracts.

We are generally able to accept anything that does not almost fully replace the original.

And if texts are long out of print we might not even notice then.

I bought that when it first came out (I used to live in Farnham). I would have thought it was earlier than '93 because I had moved out by then, but I still spent lot of time there visiting friends, so maybe I picked it up then. It is very good.

Edit: Just checked my copy, yep 1993, I have vague memories of staying with friends when I bought it (they lived in a flat in a converted church, with arches running along the living room, and perhaps slightly haunted itself).

Last edited:
Ghosts of London by H.V.Morton Methuen 1st published 16th Nov 1939 and reprinted many times (Mine is 1959) is not a ghost book but details some aspects of historical London (Historic in 1939 remember!) Hansom cabs, Lamp lighters, a herb shop, etc interesting background to the world some of the ghosts may have known.

You set me on a search for this. A little tatty, but it turns out it's a first edition. Here's the contents page and two sections that give the flavour of the writing.

I've seen that photograph of the lamplighter before, but it's still magnificently evocative.

20230605_233743.jpg20230605_233758.jpg20230605_233811.jpg20230605_234004.jpg20230605_234035.jpg20230605_234102.jpg20230605_234132.jpg20230605_234212.jpg20230605_234235.jpg20230605_234253.jpg20230605_234316.jpg

Remember how I said that our local history society was writing a book about local ghosts?

Well I found it! Bought myself a copy and gave it a good readthrough. Thought 'I really must post this on the forum - there are several stories in here that I've never heard before, and lots of hidden tunnels and cellars and stuff.' Now I have absolutely no idea where the book is. It's in here somewhere...

A comment above made me think: are there any ghost books that are long out of print/not copyrighted that you'd like to see?
I had the chance to quickly flick through two of James Wentworth Day's books at the millennium library in Norwich and they are a cracking good read. My wife, who's not really into the subject agreed with me.

A comment above made me think: are there any ghost books that are long out of print/not copyrighted that you'd like to see?
I had the chance to quickly flick through two of James Wentworth Day's books at the millennium library in Norwich and they are a cracking good read. My wife, who's not really into the subject agreed with me.
I like Harry Ludlam's ghost books. Seems at least one is on Kindle now. :)

Not sure about copyright or whether they are still in print anywhere, which would need checking, but from my collection.

Haunted England: Christina Hole: Batsford 1940

Lord Halifax's Ghost Book: Charles Lindley, Viscount Halifax: Geoffrey Bles Pt 1,1936 ; pt2 1937 one vol 1939

Unbidden Guests: William Oliver Stevens: Allen &Unwin 1949

Phantom Footsteps: Alasdair Alpin MacGregor: Robert Hale 1959

The Ghost Book: Alasdair Alpin MacGregor: Robert Hale 1955

Ghosts of Old England: Terence Whitaker: Robert Hale 1987

North Country Ghosts and Legends: Terence Whitaker: Grafton: Pt 1 Yorkshire Ghosts and Legends 1983 this ed (expanded with Lancashire 1988)

Haunted Houses of Great Britain: Joseph Braddock: Dorset Press NY: 1991

Haunted Houses: Charles G Harper: First Pub 1907 Cecil Palmer, pbk ed Senate: 1994

I haven't read some for a while so the quality varies, but if anyone wants more details let me know. I can't post pics at the moment because of ******ing BT and Openreach (see whinge thread)

Edit to add:

Phantom Britain, This Spectre'd Isle: :roll: Marc Alexander: Frederick Muller: 1975

Haunted Inns of England: Jack Hallam: Wolfe 1972

Haunted Gardens: Peter Underwood: Amberley: 2009 Not that old but an unusual subject

True Ghost Stories of the British Isles: Bounty Books: 2005 A collection of stories by and told to various Authors

Last edited:
Not sure about copyright or whether they are still in print anywhere, which would need checking, but from my collection.

Thank you.
Added to my list of things to buy when I have some spare cash.

If there are any fairly recent books that interest you, it's always worth checking over on Audible. Some are available as audio books.

You set me on a search for this. A little tatty, but it turns out it's a first edition. Here's the contents page and two sections that give the flavour of the writing.

I've seen that photograph of the lamplighter before, but it's still magnificently evocative.

View attachment 66781View attachment 66782View attachment 66783View attachment 66784View attachment 66785View attachment 66786View attachment 66787View attachment 66788View attachment 66789View attachment 66790View attachment 66791
I have this, also a first edition :)

Please do post extracts.

We are generally able to accept anything that does not almost fully replace the original.

And if texts are long out of print we might not even notice then.
Apologies for not posting anything yet from this booklet. We had some very bad news recently so my attention has been elsewhere.

Wot, no mention of Peter Underwood"s Haunted London?

I read a lot of Underwood's books in the library when younger and haven't revisited many since.

Have most or them made the digital transition?

My other re-readings of 70s and 80s popular (Fortean) publications have mostly been a pleasure.

read a lot of Underwood's books in the library when younger and haven't revisited many since.

Have most or them made the digital transition?
Most of Underwood's output is now on Kindle, yes, and very reasonably priced (Haunted London currently £7.80). Essential reading and very readable (not always found together).

Wot, no mention of Peter Underwood"s Haunted London?

And - I sort of hesitate to mention it - there's also, of course, Elliot O'Donnell's Ghosts of London.

An author who's stories it's always worth viewing with some scepticism.

That said, listening to the Quantum Mechanics podcast episode - Mica Paris and the Wandsworth Haunting - I seem to recall the similarities between her and her family's experience, and a not so well known (and entirely unknown by them) Elliot O'Donnell tale, were pretty intriguing.

And besides, he was always a good read.

I just recently bought a second-hand copy of Ghosts of London: The West End, South and West by J. A. Brooks, 1982, Jarrold. It is a decent read, leaning more towards historical ghost accounts. I saw it wasn't listed here so worth noting.

I already posted this on Time Slips forum but going post it again on this thread.

Back