• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

London Month Of Dead

Returning for the eighth year, many events sold out, tickets go very quickly. One or two are online I think.

https://www.londonmonthofthedead.com/
Never realised that Smithfield was originally called Smooth Field and doubled up as a place of public execution (Bloody Mary had some 200 martyrs put to death there) and meat market.
Would watching some poor sod being eviscerated or burnt at the stake put you in the mind for errm... a steak?

I would love to do the guided tour of Nunhead Cemetery. Back in the seventies a group of us used to do our martial arts training in the cemetery. It was a lot more private than the other option at Peckham Rye.

Our Sifu at that time had previously worked as a gardener in the cemetery and the place was full of open tombs and graves that had been plundered for the lead from the Victorian coffins. Our Sifu estimated you could get over a hundred weight of lead from one coffin.

The cemetery was forever making the local press, The South London Press, due to some of the unsavoury activities that went on in there with lurid stories of black magic etc., in the old chapel/church on the site.
It was reported that boys at a local school on the boundary of the cemetery were found playing football with the mummified head of one the residents.

The one thing I can personally confirm was the presence of a strange dude dressed entirely in black; we would catch sight of him watching us as we worked out. Whenever we spotted him he would shrink back into the thick overgrown foliage on the site before springing up elsewhere. I doubt there was ever a day we never saw him when we were there.

Back