• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Postal Privacy: Securing Letters (Etc.) From Prying Eyes

Nov 2015
Undelivered letters shed light on 17th-century society

Mar 2021
Signed, Sealed, and Undelivered: Letters in Trunk Reveal Scandals and Intrigues of 17th Century Lives

Jun 2021
Hundreds of years ago, people developed ingenious methods to secure their letters from prying eyes – and they did it with only paper, adhesive and folds.

Late at night on 8 February 1587, an imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots composed her last ever letter to her brother-in-law. "Tonight, after dinner, I have been advised of my sentence: I am to be executed like a criminal at eight in the morning," she wrote. "The Catholic faith and the assertion of my God-given right to the English crown are the two issues on which I am condemned." With a sad acceptance of her fate, she asked him to take care of her affairs and pay her servants, wishing him "good health and a long and happy life".

After Mary had finished writing, she then began to fold up the letter to secure its contents. She didn't want her captors snooping – and particularly not her cousin Queen Elizabeth I. However, envelopes were not used in the 1500s – not least because paper was expensive – and there was no trustworthy postal service at the time.

Instead, Mary cut a thin strip from the paper margin, before folding up her message into a small rectangle. After poking the knife through the rectangle to make a hole, she then fed the strip through, looping it and tightening it a few times, creating a "spiral lock". No wax or adhesive was required, but crucially, if someone tried to sneak a look, they would have to rip through the strip, so her brother-in-law would know the message had been intercepted.

Watch a reconstruction of how Mary did it:

(and the reason for referencing the previous citations from @ramonmercado and @maximus otter is that the article goes on to discuss what seems to be the exact-same fantastic trove of unpaid / unopened / undelivered mail from the era 1680 -1706, which were retained by a married postmaster and mistress (Messrs Brienne & Germain) as a potential (but financially-unrealised) future investment.

Nov 2015

Mar 2021

Jun 2021
Hundreds of years ago, people developed ingenious methods to secure their letters from prying eyes – and they did it with only paper, adhesive and folds.

(and the reason for referencing the previous citations from @ramonmercado and @maximus otter is that the article goes on to discuss what seems to be the exact-same fantastic trove of unpaid / unopened / undelivered mail from the era 1680 -1706, which were retained by a married postmaster and mistress (Messrs Brienne & Germain) as a potential (but financially-unrealised) future investment.

That video how-to on letterlocking is fascinating. If only Mary’s encoding and message transmission technique had been as good as her letter security…

maximus otter

I just excited if my letters get delivered in a timely manner.

It is not so bad now, but last Christmas with covid and all, our Christmas Cards took 2 weeks to be delivered and a few never showed up at all.

Back