• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Longest Known Long-Exposure Photograph

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Long-exposure photographs depict the passage of time. They're usually done with pinhole camera setups, which can be quite crude. One common theme for long-exposure photos is a solargraph - an extended exposure capturing the sun's path(s) across the sky.

A solargraphy exposure begun in 2012, and subsequently forgotten until 2020, is believed to be the longest-exposure photograph ever taken. It was done with a beer can.

2012-20-Solargraph.jpg
Longest-exposure photo ever was just discovered. It was made through a beer can.

Eight years and one month ago, a Master of Fine Art student at the University of Hertfordshire fitted a beer can with photographic paper and created a low-tech pinhole camera. She then placed the can on a telescope at the university's Bayfordbury Observatory and eventually forgot about the project.

Now, the resulting photograph has been rediscovered — and it may be the longest-exposure photo ever taken.

"I had tried this technique a couple of times at the Observatory before, but the photographs were often ruined by moisture and the photographic paper curled up," photographer Regina Valkenborgh, now a photography technician at Barnet and Southgate College, said in a statement. "I hadn't intended to capture an exposure for this length of time and to my surprise, it had survived." ...

The photograph shows the sun's journey through the sky since 2012; 2,953 arcs of light tracing its path as the sun rose and set. ...

Prior to this photo, the longest-exposure picture was thought to be four years, eight months, taken by German artist Michael Wesely, according to the university. Wesely takes long-exposure photographs of various scenes, such as the renovation of the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York City. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/longest-exposure-photo-discovered-beer-can.html

For once, being forgetful paid off!

Back