• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Yourself In A Mirror & See Yourself Transformed

Re: Perception

spicedjellybeans said:
rynner said:
In a pub in Salcombe, Devon, there used to be a picture on the wall (maybe it's still there)...

Seen from across the bar, it appeared to be the picture of a skull, but seen close up it was in fact a picture of a young woman sitting at her dressing table, which had a large, oval mirror.
the images submitted earlier no longer show up, so I am submitting them..
Similar, but different! The versions I copied off here were these:

skullwoman1.gif
skullwoman2.jpg

Re: Look in a mirror, and you might just see something looki

Anonymous said:
lately, i have noticed some odd things in my mirrior.
you see my bathroom is right by the family room, so i can watch tv in the mirror, anyway, lately while brushing my teeth i will watch tv, but out of the corner of my eye, it looks like i'm looking at myself, except, my face is all messed up. it almost looks like a demon is looking at me, its really freaky, go try it with your mirror see if you see the same thing.
just go up to a mirror stand faceing it but look at a reflection of something else in the room, keep staring at that something, and you will start to notice that it looks like you are looking at yourself.
anyway this really freaked me out when i saw it the first few times. so anyway thats it.
Another old thread I feel compelled to add my comments on...

Basically, this effect happens as your eyes go out of focus from staring at one image too long. Try it by staring at a face in a magazine - the effect will be the same. The image starts to blur and the eyes appear to grow very dark and big.

McAvennie_ said:
levantateymira said:
At my middle school (Yorkshire, early 1990s) there was a superstition that if you stood in front of a certain mirror in the toilets and chanted "Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle, Jack Kendle" you'd see the devil in the mirror - or possibly see your own eyes turn red, I can't remember.

I've always wondered why it was the name Jack Kendle. Is anyone else familiar with this? Did it maybe come from a film or something?

We had that at my junior school (Bucks, late 80s) but I can't remember what it was you were meant to say. I always found something unsettling about the toilets in schools when you were alone. Perhaps it is the silence in what is an otherwise noisy place, or just as child being in a room alone. Dunno, always spooked me a bit though.

On two occasions in my family home as a child I was sitting on the loo at night when the lightbulb directly above me came loose and smashed on the top of my head. These were bayonet fittings not screw-type.

At my secondary school in Oxfordshire we had an identical thang, it involved repeating the name Jack Candle three times infront of the boy's toilet mirror. The devil would be released by this action but not necessarily viewed in the mirror, moreover the devil would appear at an unspecified later time. How we knew these intricacies I don't know.
We didn't have anything that exciting at my secondary school, we used to get bits of toilet paper then soak them in the taps then splat them on the ceiling .. it was called 'soggy doggy', a sort of early teens frustrated freestyle 'art' ceiling based paper mache experiment.

Back