• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Looking For a True Fortean Story That Took Place In One Of The Great Lakes (Possibly Lake Erie)

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Staff member
This was something I read in a book I checked out from the local library (I think). I have no idea what book, as this was ages ago. Unfortunately, my Google-Fu is failing me, so I'm wondering if anyone recognizes this.

I believe this took place around the 1950's/'60's. Might have been in Lake Erie.

Locals were seeing a weird massive bubbling/frothing in the lake. It happened a number of times in the same place and eventually the authorities were alerted. As I recall, the US Navy sent some divers out there. Afterwards the bubbling stopped permanently, but they never told the locals what had happened or what they found.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
This was something I read in a book I checked out from the local library (I think). I have no idea what book, as this was ages ago. Unfortunately, my Google-Fu is failing me, so I'm wondering if anyone recognizes this.

I believe this took place around the 1950's/'60's. Might have been in Lake Erie.

Locals were seeing a weird massive bubbling/frothing in the lake. It happened a number of times in the same place and eventually the authorities were alerted. As I recall, the US Navy sent some divers out there. Afterwards the bubbling stopped permanently, but they never told the locals what had happened or what they found.

Anyone have any thoughts?

That rings a bell with me, been doing a bit of googling but can't see to find anything...yet

That rings a bell with me, been doing a bit of googling but can't see to find anything...yet

I appreciate the help.

The problem was that at the time, I would check out a book about Wisconsin/Lake Michigan Fortean things from the library, check the bibliography, find out they had some of those books in The Stacks (vast basement area), have them bring some up, I'd devour them, then check *those* bibliographies and find even more. So some stories are stuck in the back of my head, but I've no idea where I've read them.

At the time, the US government was requesting the histories of books people checked out from various libraries, so I, of course, opted out of that real quick, otherwise I'd have a great list of Fortean titles to add to my bookshelf. Bastards.

Last edited:
At the time, the US government was requesting the histories of books people checked out from various libraries, so I, of course, opted out of that real quick, otherwise I'd have a great list of Fortean titles to add to my bookshelf. Bastards.
Just avoid The Catcher in the Rye, you'll stay out of trouble.

The frothing and bubbles bit sounds like the aftermath of the Shag Harbor (Nova Scotia; 1967) UFO crash(?) into the water. Boats that came to the scene reported a glow or light beneath the surface, a weird yellowish froth all around, and bubbles coming up from the depths. Canadian (not US) Navy divers (and others) conducted searches but found no trace of any object on the sea floor.

Another random tidbit ... If there's any of the Great Lakes noted for bubbles and froth it's Lake Huron rather than Lake Erie. Lake Huron is arguably the most treacherous of the lakes, and some claim it's the location of more shipwrecks than any of the others. Lake Huron is unique for having multiple notably deep sinkholes on its lakebed, some of which contain extensive microbial mats. The sinkholes are known (generally) for emitting extensive and sustained areas of bubbling, and the ones with the microbial mats are known (specifically) for emitting large amounts of methane bubbling to the surface. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Lake Huron bubbling and the sinkholes were clearly understood until sometime after the Sixties.

The frothing and bubbles bit sounds like the aftermath of the Shag Harbor (Nova Scotia; 1967) UFO crash(?) into the water. Boats that came to the scene reported a glow or light beneath the surface, a weird yellowish froth all around, and bubbles coming up from the depths. Canadian (not US) Navy divers (and others) conducted searches but found no trace of any object on the sea floor.

This is quite interesting and seems to be similar but I'm almost 100% certain this happened in the Great Lakes (it would match with what I was reading at the time. Also, since I live nearly on the shore of Lake Michigan, I feel like I would have remembered if it was, well, Not The Great Lakes). It could be, since I was reading old material at the time, that the whole "Shag Harbor Incident" was rewritten before it got its name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Locals were seeing a weird massive bubbling/frothing in the lake. It happened a number of times in the same place and eventually the authorities were alerted.
I have run a number of related searches through the newspaper.com archives and this is the only story coming up.

From December, 1957 - Any help?

Screenshot_20201017_054424_resize_56.jpg

Back