Looking For Haunted Skies Volumes 4, 5 + 6

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score
Annoyingly I got as far as having volumes 1, 2, 3 and 7, 8, 9 of Hanson & Holloway's "Haunted Skies" series before they issued the 'updated' editions which now span different periods.

Also, I want all the spines to match on my shelf, which, let's face it, is the most important thing.

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) - if anyone has them and wants to sell them, let me know! Specifically:

- Haunted Skies vol 4 1968-1971
- Haunted Skies vol 5 1972-1974
- Haunted Skies vol 6 1975-1977

Thanks!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Annoyingly I got as far as having volumes 1, 2, 3 and 7, 8, 9 of Hanson & Holloway's "Haunted Skies" series before they issued the 'updated' editions which now span different periods.
what a pain!

Also, I want all the spines to match on my shelf, which, let's face it, is the most important thing.
TRUTH!

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) -
maybe give us a picture of the binding you want?

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score
maybe give us a picture of the binding you want?
These ones.

these.jpg

Here's a comparison of the old and new versions, which might help explain why I want the old ones.

1617286480373.png

Last edited:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Afraid I can’t help but I do know they were at one point at least going for stupid money. Good luck!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

So I am looking for volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the original series (black borders on the book covers) - if anyone has them and wants to sell them, let me know! Specifically:

- Haunted Skies vol 4 1968-1971
- Haunted Skies vol 5 1972-1974
- Haunted Skies vol 6 1975-1977

Thanks!
Found this one online not sure if its the correct one

Screenshot_20210401-165748.png

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Haunted-Skies-Encyclopaedia-British-UFOs-VOLUME/30564013924/bd

There are some on Amazon but they arw $900 + :oops:

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score

packshaud

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
These ones.

View attachment 37514

Here's a comparison of the old and new versions, which might help explain why I want the old ones.

View attachment 37517
This almost beats the Portuguese (as in Portugal, not Brazilian Portuguese) translation of John Keel's Our Haunted Planet. Almost.
607296.jpg

So, this book is made of unobtainium (I wish I could find a copy), and it is needed to quote this Keel work in Portuguese (then, the academics will look for the source, and may be find it... it might be better to translate for quotes).

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score
So, this book is made of unobtainium (I wish I could find a copy), and it is needed to quote this Keel work in Portuguese (then, the academics will look for the source, and may be find it... it might be better to translate for quotes).
Oh I'm sure that is much rarer than Haunted Skies! The one I want is 'Mysteries of the Great War' by Harold Wilkins. According to Jack Womack most copies were destroyed during WW2. There is one copy at the National Library here so I am going to check it out once restrictions are lifted.

packshaud

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
[...] The one I want is 'Mysteries of the Great War' by Harold Wilkins. According to Jack Womack most copies were destroyed during WW2. [...]
Unfortunately, one of the destroyed copies was the one at the Berlin State Library. I checked its availability:
https://blog.sbb.berlin/online-geoeffnet-unsere-services/#comment-80086

I use the service provided by Subito [ https://www.subito-doc.de/?lang=en ], that allows remote borrowing (paying for shipping and the service fee, and of course returning the book). With that, I can get a by-mail borrowing of books at 40 German libraries, but sadly the book you want was only available at the Berlin State Library. I was going to recommend you to borrow it using Subito, but none of the affiliated libraries provide it (Subito is not available for Americans, because of copyright issues, but they have their own ways, with well established interlibrary loan systems).

taras

Least Haunted
Reaction score
Unfortunately, one of the destroyed copies was the one at the Berlin State Library. I checked its availability:
Thanks for checking! As I say, it is available at our National Library, which is conveniently a 20-minute walk from where I live, so I will be able to have a look once things start opening again.

packshaud

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Well, a small walk is nothing, but when you wrote "at our National Library" I thought of at least another city--and with how things are today, it could be easier to read it at the ISS, if a copy was there.

Quercus

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
It's certainly more than irritating when a run of publications decides to change not only its cover style (which has gone from functional to deeply naff, imo), but also the way volumes are divided up... quite unnecessary, for the most part.

I don't have any of these unfortunately, but I do have some contacts in the secondhand book trade so I'll put out some feelers... and with charity shops opening/opened again across the UK, there's perhaps a better chance than usual that those copies missing from your collection might surface over the coming months, if a lot of people are planning a post-lockdown clear out?

With any luck, instead of costing you an arm and a leg, you may be able to pick 'em up for only a few lesser-used digits and an earlobe...