• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost BBC Documentary On Bigfoot Reappears On eBay

If he does, the BBC will cite copyright violation and come down on him like a ton of bricks. However, he could just stick it on YouTube and hope the BBC doesn't care - and they probably won't.

#Enolagaia, looks like someone will be able to get answers for some of the second reel questions we asked last year.

#Enolagaia, looks like someone will be able to get answers for some of the second reel questions we asked last year.

I'd like that. I'd like it even better if whoever it is shares the basic data (images).

Second reel questions? Tell me more....

Last year Enolagaia, myself, and others put about 10 pages on the PG Film thread. Adressing the holes in the backstory. Part of the concerns, as I remember, required a look at the casting sequences on the missing second reel. I can't remember specifics now, but this film might clear it up.

From the description on Ebay (nb the Buy-it-now is $1,000USD)

^^The beyond-rare BBC's Bigfoot: America's Abominable Snowman has been found! This movie had thought to have been lost after its last distribution to theaters in the early 1970s. According to David Coleman's The Bigfoot Filmography, this documentary came out in 1968 and it is notable in part for having given the public its first exposure to the Patterson-Gimlin film. This auction is for the 16mm film on three reels - two larger reels that would have been used to exhibit the film in theaters (during an intermission the reels would have been swapped) and the smaller reel contains the Patterson Gimlin segment. Along with the physical 16mm film on three reels is a memory stick containing the entire film as an MP4 file. The transfer from 16mm to MP4 was done out of order of the film, but everything on the 16mm film is all there on electrons, just out of linear sequence.​
The pics provided show scenes from the film including the film's title card, the actual 16mm film itself on three reels, a photo from the iconic Patterson Gimlin film, a pic of John Napier and Roger Patterson (the pic in which Roger wears the sweater with horse's heads on it), a pic of Al DeAtley (holding a snap from the Patterson Gimlin film) during the intro to the film, Roger Patterson and, I believe, Bob Gimlin conferring, Roger Patterson interviewing a logger, Roger with pointer in front of life-size portrait of Bigfoot, a snap from one of Roger's expeditions showing several men on horses, a map depicting various sightings, picture-art of a man discovering large prints by his car, and John Napier and Ivan T. Sanderson discussing the possibility of Bigfoot's existence. This film is just over 1 hour, 9 minutes in viewing length.​
Ivan T. Sanderson wrote about the BBC's effort to make this documentary in the June, 1968 edition of Pursuit: "While here the BBC filmed Roger Patterson at HQ, and then shot several hours of a discussion between Dr. John Napier and the writer [Ivan T. Sanderson], with visuals in the form of plaster casts of the footprints of Bigfeet. Later, they ran an hour on Dr. Joe Wraight in Washington, D.C., then flew to Denver to interview Prof. George A. Agogino; then on to Dr. Montagna, Head of the Oregon Primate Center; and ended up with interviews with several persons, of all ages and walks of life, on the Coast who had told Roger that they had encountered Bigfeet at close range. it will take two to three months to edit this film..."​
The Patterson-Gimlin film, and its iconic star "Patty," is shown for just over 40 seconds, followed by filming of Patterson making plaster casts, presumably at Bluff Creek. Along with the segment of the Patterson-Gimlin film, another very cool feature of this film is the first time audiences heard the iconic mournful wail that was subsequently featured in other films like Bigfoot: Man or Beast (1972) and Sasquatch, The Legend of Bigfoot(1977). Patterson tells about a strange sound he and a partner heard in 1963: "We had stayed up late, making plans for the next day. About three o'clock in the morning we were both awakened by the strangest sound I have ever hear. The moon was full and I jumped up and looked out the open window but I couldn't see anything. When I got back to my ranch in Yakima, I was able to reproduce fairly close what I had heard. This is that sound..."​
From David Coleman's (recommended) The Bigfoot Filmography: "Some films in the Cinédu Sasquatch genre are so rare as to be (at the time of this book's publication) non-existent. These rare movies are the Holy Grail of the genre... As far as documentaries go, however, none can top Bigfoot: America's Abominable Snowman for complete and utter obscurity."​
Thanks for looking, and if this film interest you, I hope you win and become the owner of this historically important Bigfoot film.​

On Feb-21-19 at 02:30:38 PST, seller added the following information:

In response to a received question, there is no copyright shown on the film. The end credits, as they are, are comprised of one card announcing 'Ronald Webster' as producer and showing the old BBC TV icon^^​

Well, someone paid $1000 for it!

According to Kaleidoscope, who work in recovering and retrieving lost TV and radio shows, it never was lost - but there is a question mark about its duration. The BBC say the documentary was 50 minutes long but the EBay listing says 1 hr 10.

The BBC say the documentary was 50 minutes long but the EBay listing says 1 hr 10.
Yes, The BBC's own Genome site gives the date as 27th July, 1968 for its single outing on BBC2.

It is not unusual for documentaries to exist at different lengths in different territories. Many are/were acquired overseas and trimmed to fit named series, such a Storyville, Horizon etc. The "rediscovered" 16mm reels were found in America and may have been an alternative cut or work-in-progress. :dunno:

Back