• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost Book On Time Slips Or Road Ghosts

Newt

Devoted Cultist
Hi, Im looking for a book from years ago!

Many years ago, sometime in the 80s, I believe, I got a book from a local library in the uk with two stories that stuck in my mind. I would like to refind them.

Its possible there were two books. It/they were typical library books with collections of ghost type stories. Perhaps by peter underwood, or a similar writer.

The first story is about a man, in the 40s or earlier. He is riding a bike down a road in wiltshire at night. He sees a group of people in strange clothes alongside the road. He is terrified, doesnt look and keeps on walking.
I remember this because I got out a map and located the road to see how far it was from Avebury. Id like to do this again, because in retrospect it sounds like travellers.

I believe the title of the book refered either to time slips, or road ghosts.

the second story is that peter green from Fleetwood Mac picked up a phantom hitch hiker.

I associate the two stories with each other, as though they were in the same volume. However, it was long ago and I read many of that kind of book at that time.

Does anyone recognise the book?

Thanks for any help!

...the second story is that peter green from Fleetwood Mac picked up a phantom hitch hiker....

Never heard this one, so I did a bit of digging.

Not a phantom hitch-hiker, as such, but this site relates a tale whereby Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood, in pre Fleetwood Mac days, had an unnerving roadside encounter.

That source mentions the affected members being interviewed by parapsychologist George Owen - so I looked to see if he published anything. A little more digging reveals this site which I think quotes directly from the book Science and the Spook, by George Owen and Victor Sims.

Could that be the story - slightly misremembered - and the book you're thinking of?

Omg!!! Thank you! Your google fu is incredible!
I had not been able to find a trace of that story.

I do not think it was that book that I read. But without doubt its the same story. In far more detail than I recall.

I believe that the story must have been taken from that primary source, and included in a truncated version in one of those 'supernatural stories' book that were so common in the libraries back then.

Now I can prove to my husband that I didn't just invent or imagine that particular story, I just misremembered it a little bit.

Thank you!

Many years ago, sometime in the 80s, I believe, I got a book from a local library in the uk with two stories that stuck in my mind. I would like to refind them.

Its possible there were two books. It/they were typical library books with collections of ghost type stories. Perhaps by peter underwood, or a similar writer.

The first story is about a man, in the 40s or earlier. He is riding a bike down a road in wiltshire at night. He sees a group of people in strange clothes alongside the road. He is terrified, doesnt look and keeps on walking.
I remember this because I got out a map and located the road to see how far it was from Avebury. Id like to do this again, because in retrospect it sounds like travellers.

the second story is that peter green from Fleetwood Mac picked up a phantom hitch hiker.

I associate the two stories with each other, as though they were in the same volume. However, it was long ago and I read many of that kind of book at that time.

Thanks for any help!
I'm pretty sure this isn't the book you're referring to, as this is set in Suffolk, but the only one that springs to mind is 'The Devil On The Road' by Robert Westall, published in 1978. A great story for children around 10-14 and one I read many times as a youngster. In fact, with hindsight it's probably what got me interested in time-slips in the first place. (The reason I mention it is because the main protagonist is a biker and there is the 'Road' connection in the title).

Thanks for any help!
https://allaboutheaven.org/observat...early-experience-of-an-apparition-on-the-road

" the second story is that peter green from Fleetwood Mac picked up a phantom hitch hiker."

I think this might be the book by Dennis Bardens. When he gave a talk to the Ghost Club about 2001, he mentioned this case and played a lengthy extract of a taped interview with the guy in question. Sad to say, the interview went on for so long it bored us all to tears.

Thank you. That book looks very likely, except for the date. 1997 seems to be far too late for my memories.

I was considering Andrew MacKenzie's Adventures in Time for the first story, but again, the date is too late.

I was married by 97, and I would have just shown them to my husband when I read them.
Unless there is a really weird Mandela effect happening to me.

I'm sorry to hear your talk was boring. I hope you all went to the pub afterwards and had a laugh about it.

Well, Ghosts and Hauntings was published in 1965 so it could be that one.

The talk was actually held in an old pub, very close to the Old Bailey, so we didn't have far to go for liquid anaesthesia.

65!
Omg... Amazon says 97...
If I cant trust amazon on these things, who can I trust!

Ok! That is one to seek out. Thank you!

Oooh!!!! I should have looked at the editions! I have unfairly slurred amazon...

Back