• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Yeah, the L&H shorts did seem to have a part one and two. I recall finding the first half of County Hospital absolutely hilarious, but the second half when they're heading home was just OK, for instance. PAL speed up for a twenty minute film would only shave off about 45 seconds, though, so not that significant.

Sorry, I wrote PAL when I meant the whole silent vs. talkie speed thing. The VHS tape timing included a 1 minute crawl of the history of the film, so I think it was running a lot faster than the Universal DVD version, which contained less stuff, if you get my drift. Anyway my guess of five or six minutes should guard against disappointment if we get more. :)

Well, the silent movies I've seen over recent years haven't looked like Benny Hill inspirations speedwise, so I suppose they must slow the rate to accommodate that issue? Watching clips on the world of Harold Lloyd on BBC 2 at teatimes is a far cry from the restorations they did later.

The Cylinder Preservation folk at Santa Barbara have put up a library of some 600 cylinders of vernacular recordings. That is to say random home and personal records made by people who invested in the phonograph in those early days when it was sold as a recording and replay toy. If you remember the first drivel you uttered when faced with a microphone, you will know the score. With expectations properly lowered, let's take that trip back and hear some of the random stuff recorded by folk about the turn of the century. The nineteenth into twentieth that is:

Home recordings on wax cylinders.

Not the easiest of listening, even for old hands, I grant you. Here and there, however, a voice will leap out and engage you with the sense of a real character and personality communicating across more than a century.

I think it beats EVP! :p

I did come across a rusty looking car exhaust last week on my travels. It was laying by the roadside in a infamous area approx 9 miles from my home. The locals took no notice of it even though it was on a road that led to a nearby school. So if anyone reading this lives in a place that starts with a "K" and ends with a "Y" and is wondering why their car wont start up properly- dont worry, I bet your missing item is still there. Unless of course, the scrap-man found it.

And a further morsel of information from the bloke that found reel two of Battle of the Century:

"Serge Bromberg already has the print and has done a 2K scan. He has been promised all of R1 in 35mm from an archive I can't announce yet. So I believe the entire film will be restored."

Earler, erroneously, I stated that the whole of reel one was already known. Part of it was, in fact, missing from all video and DVD versions. The announcement above promises a complete restoration of the two-reeler; there are, however, complex rights issues to be resolved before we can see it:

Nitrateville thread here.

A man has been reunited with a wallet he lost more than 30 years ago after it was found stuffed down the back of a train seat.

Owner Derek Gamble was traced after the item - which still contained its original contents - was found inside a railway carriage being restored.

Train driver Michael Massey told the Eastern Daily Press he discovered the wallet on the North Norfolk Railway.

Mr Gamble said the contents "brought back memories of 30 years ago".

An old £1 note and a handful of coins, as well as documents bearing the name Derek B Gamble and his former address in Rugby, Warwickshire, were inside the wallet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33861567

Gold bar found by teenage girl in German lake

A 16-year-old holidaymaker has found a 500g (1lb) gold bar worth €16,000 (£11,500) while swimming in a lake in Germany, police say.
The teenager discovered the precious metal at a depth of about 2m (6.5ft) near the shore of Bavaria's Koenigssee lake on Friday.
She handed it into police who are now investigating where it came from and who owned it.

Police divers checked the area for more gold on Tuesday but found nothing.
The find revived rumours of Nazi gold supposedly lost in the lake, near Germany's southern border with Austria, but reports said the find was not connected to the Nazi era.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33880350

This was worth finding again:
Stunning footage from edge of space recovered after two-year search – video

In 2013, Bryan Chan and a group of fellow university students in Arizona launched a weather balloon near the Grand Canyon. In a Reddit post, Chan explains their onboard GPS tracker lost its signal as it came in to land. It took two years for the team to recover the footage, after a woman spotted the balloon and its payload while out on a hike in the desert

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...-year-search-balloon-gopro-grand-canyon-video

This is a Lost and Found story, but, even more than most such, it is a Happy News story too...

The stranger and the ring
By Tim Butcher Cape Town

When my father died he left me a ring which had once belonged to his father. But before long I was thrown into a panic - I had lost it. Racked with guilt, I tuned to a stranger for help.

Gold drew many to South Africa and it was gold that has just reaffirmed my faith in this muddled, mosaic nation.

[The ring] must have been on the beach, an area stretching 200m from the car park - the ring, a very small needle in a very large and tidally wet haystack.
I was out at first light the next day but with no luck, spirits dimming. My only hope was this - the wind had been so strong the ring could have been buried. It might just still be there, somewhere.

I contacted local metal detector users. Two came to help, one even lending me his gear. "Take as long as you need," he said. Days of searching passed forlornly. I found an old mobile phone, circa 2001, a 50 cent coin and a lot of bottle tops.

Eight days later, a third metal detector user, Alan, arrived to help...

Alan surveyed the search area. He talked about the wind, the tide, the currents and then he got to work. Up and down he ploughed, earphones on, criss-crossing dry sand, wet sand and even the approaching surf.
His gear was so good, he was picking up something every three or four paces, ring pulls and other metallic junk so I rather gave up watching closely every time he started to dig.

And then, a miracle. From a hole 40cm down, Alan had heaped wet sand and his eye, tempered by years of peering into briny swill, had seen something. Calling out for me to come over, calmly he said the best of words: "There's your ring, Tim."

This could not be happening. My eyes, prickly with tears and blurry with expectation, couldn't see straight to begin with. And then there it was, dad's ring, his dad's ring, 90 years of accompanying the Butcher boys on life's journey and lost by me on a beach in Africa after a few weeks' custody.
Alan grinned, the kids capered, the dog joined in and for a moment all was madness. I hugged this big, bearded stranger.

And private though this miracle was, there was a greater miracle at work. My saviour refused all reward. He was firm, he was insistent. No he would not accept a fee, no he did not want petrol money, no he did not want a celebratory drink nor fish and chips to drive home with. He wanted nothing more than to give something back.

I went down to that beach that day to find a ring. What I actually found was more valuable still - that there remain some decent souls out there. Now, at last, I can call mum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34360805

Alan must be a saint to refuse fish and chips! :D

Evelyn Dunbar: the genius in the attic
One day, Ro Dunbar was watching Antiques Roadshow when she saw a painting by her aunt Evelyn being hailed as a masterpiece. A quick search revealed 500 more like it bundled up in her loft

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ost-paintings-antiques-roadshow-pallant-house

One Sunday night two years ago, Ro Dunbar was watching Antiques Roadshow when she noticed something shocking. One of the people queuing in the rain to have their antiques valued had just produced a painting by her long-dead relative Evelyn Dunbar.

“This is a masterpiece,” said painting expert Rupert Maas. “It is such an extraordinary picture.” Maas was worried about how to value a work by “what is perhaps an unknown artist”. In the end, he estimated £40,000-£60,000.

Autumn and the Poet was one of the last works ever painted by Evelyn, before her death in 1960 at the age of 53. It was a gift to her husband, the second world war airman and leading horticultural economist Roger Folley, and its whereabouts had been unknown for half a century. Evelyn, however, was not quite unknown. She was celebrated as the only salaried woman war artist, commissioned to record the work of land girls on the home front. Her war paintings hang in Tate Britain and theImperial War Museum.

It is quite rare for printed books to disappear without a trace but that appears to have been the case with Shelley's
"Political Essay on the Existing State of Things." which was published in 1811.

It resurfaced in 2006 but the text was not made known until the Bodleian chose this week to celebrate it as its twelve millionth acquisition - or something. The links from various newspaper sites and the bbc did not seem to be working yesterday but you should now be able to download and save a pdf here!

Scholars are considering the teenage poet's protesting lines to be strikingly appropriate to the present day.

Such is the prophetic voice! :cooll:

So far, I have glanced at it, merely, but it has given me a word of the day:

In the errata, Shelley, or the printer, writes:
"Page 15, line 10, for frightful read frigorific."

frigorific = causing or producing cold.

Who would have thought it! :)

Last edited:
Two old paintings have been discovered under another painting by a russian artist named Kazimir Malevich. That is in itself not so unusual. What intrigues me is that while the old paintings are colourful cubist paintings, the painting above them is one called Black Square. As the name suggest, it is just one big black square. I can't help but wonder if he didn't simply paint it black so he could begin something new but didn't when he realized people mistook the black coverage for art.

That's just fascinating. One assumes that the art died out when printing took over from hand-writing.
I wonder how many other such crafts have died out? I bet there're ones we've never even heard or thought of.

I bet my own ancestors were highly skilled pure-collectors and gong farmers.

Historic Brough motorcycles discovered in Cornwall barn
14 December 2015

A collection of rare motorcycles has been discovered in Cornwall after being kept in barns for decades.
The Brough Superiors had been stored in barns for more than 50 years, according to auctioneers Bonhams.
The eight motorcycles, which date from between 1926-1939, were collected by Frank Vague who died earlier in 2015.

Bonhams said the motorcycles were the "last known collection" of unrestored Broughs and the most expensive would have a guide price of £80-£120,000.
Brough Superior motorcycles were built in Nottingham, at founder George Brough's factory in Haydn Road.
Built in the 1920s and 1930s, they were known as the Rolls Royce of motorcycles and used by celebrated riders such as Lawrence of Arabia.

Ben Walker, from Bonhams, described the collection as "one of the greatest motorcycle discoveries of recent times".
He said: "A lot of mystery surrounds these motorcycles, as very few people knew that they still existed, many believing them to be an urban myth."
The motorcycles were found in a barn on Bodmin Moor "submerged under decades of dust, old machinery parts and household clutter".

Among the collection is a four-cylinder Brough Superior. Mr Walker said only eight such machines were built, and the example found in the collection was the final one to be re-discovered.

British Army officer TE Lawrence, also known as Lawrence of Arabia, owned eight Brough Superior bikes.
He was killed in 1935 riding an SS100 he had named George VII.

The motorcycles will be sold at auction in Stafford in April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-35091164

With photos.
Coincidentally, TE Lawrence is also mentioned today, here:

Lawrence of Arabia's Dorset retreat has listing upgraded
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-35092647

Beatrix Potter story Kitty-in-Boots discovered after 100 years

A new story written by Beatrix Potter more than 100 years ago, featuring Peter Rabbit, is to be published for the first time.
The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots was rediscovered by publisher Jo Hanks after she found a reference to it in an out-of-print Potter biography.
Quentin Blake, best known for his work with Roald Dahl, has illustrated the story, to be published in September.
Potter had only completed a single drawing to go with the manuscript.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35407846

'Lost' map of Cornwall found in collection

An important map which was lost for generations has been found more than 300 years after it was drawn.
The map of Cornwall was discovered in the private collection of a historian who died in June.

Mapmaker George Withiell created it in 1690 to keep track of the new town of Falmouth, which was rapidly expanding.
It was last on public display in the 1880s and will be made available to the public by the county's record office.
David Thomas, archivist at Cornwall Record Office, said: "It is one of the most significant early Cornish maps to emerge into the public domain in recent years and we are delighted to have it in our collections, where it will help researchers further understand the growth and development of Falmouth."

The map was discovered in the private collection of Alan Pearson who bought it from a manuscript dealer in Bristol about 10 years ago.
His widow, Mollie, said he was "extremely excited" when he discovered the map, but did not tell her how much he paid for it.
She said: "Alan was so passionate about the history of Falmouth, and of course Cornwall in general.
"It's a lovely legacy that the map is now safely stored in its rightful place; somewhere safe where its long-term security is assured and other people can make the most of the information it contains.
"I know Alan would be delighted by this result."

The map, titled A True Map of all Sir Peter Killigrew's Lands in the Parish of Mylor and part of Budock Lands, was last on display in the 1880s when it was kept in Arwenack House - the oldest building in Falmouth.
The map was commissioned by the Killigrew family to record the land they owned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-35443760

Actually, Arwenack House is not the oldest building in Falmouth - see

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/forgotten-history.37271/page-38#post-1320100

(and following post.)

I notice it's includes an early pic of you Rynner ;)

Rynnermap.jpg

Back