Lost & Found

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I once dropped a tin of tobacco on the carpet at a biker friend’s house, so I swept it up as best as I could and never mentioned it to him.
But I had to chuck it out because it now had toenail clippings and pubes mixed in with it.
So pubes and toenail clippings were less savoury than pure tobacco? :rollingw:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
At least ya hope that's what is in the packet
Last year I found a pack of ciggies at work, well, a box of 10 with about 6 left. I took it home as I know a few smokers and it ended up rattling round in my car's glove box for a couple of weeks.

Eventually someone spotted it and I handed it over and forgot about it.

A while later the person told me that he'd shared the pack with a friend, who'd found a lump of weed in it!

They'd had a nice smoke together and toasted my good name in pungent fumes.

Cochise

Antediluvian
I once dropped a tin of tobacco on the carpet at a biker friend’s house, so I swept it up as best as I could and never mentioned it to him.
But I had to chuck it out because it now had toenail clippings and pubes mixed in with it.
Back when I smoked and went to parties there was of course the morning after - when rollies were made out of whatever you could find unsmoked in ashtrays. That woke you up in time to get to the pub for lunchtime...

And then there was the time the coke got spilled on the carpet.

The fun we had :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The Willard Asylum was closed down in 1995, patients/inmates could bring a suitcase of belongings and these ended up in the loft of the building. Four hundred suitcases were found by an ex member of staff paid amongst others to clear the buildings out, many with the contents in near mint condition, the earliest cases date from 1910 ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The Willard Asylum was closed down in 1995, patients/inmates could bring a suitcase of belongings and these ended up in the loft of the building. Four hundred suitcases were found by an ex member of staff paid amongst others to clear the buildings out, many with the contents in near mint condition, the earliest cases date from 1910 ..
What a terrible breach of their rights and dignity.

Reminds me of the massive displays of property stolen from arrivals at Auschwitz. Until I saw those, I hadn't quite grasped that people were sent there to be robbed and murdered. Taking their belongings (and clothes and even hair and teeth) dehumanised them and made it easier for them to be disposed of.

Locking up people with mental health problems and removing their last few, probably treasured possessions has the same effect. This is proved by the unmarked graves they were buried in.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
What a terrible breach of their rights and dignity.

Reminds me of the massive displays of property stolen from arrivals at Auschwitz. Until I saw those, I hadn't quite grasped that people were sent there to be robbed and murdered. Taking their belongings (and clothes and even hair and teeth) dehumanised them and made it easier for them to be disposed of.

Locking up people with mental health problems and removing their last few, probably treasured possessions has the same effect. This is proved by the unmarked graves they were buried in.
Precisely, you can tell watching these vids that a lot of these people put their dreams and aspirations in their suitcases .. the woman who had her glamorous best silver coloured heels that were clearly never going to be used again for what she still wanted them for, the dashing GI who packed his service uniform and his picture and the picture of the woman he loved, all of these people's dreams crushed ... opening these cases is quite a voyeuristic thing to do although I don't judge the people who've re opened them, I definitely judge the people who 'stuffed them out of the way somewhere more convenient' .. bastards .. I think Auschwitz is a fair comparison on this level depressingly, yes.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
“When I started working on it, a lot of people told me that the book was cursed and that people who start working on it die,” Palacios said.

“I laughed it off but I was a bit apprehensive at the same time. It’s taken a while because the people who have worked on it have died – one from a strange disease, one in a car accident and another of something else.”

Cursed Novel of Spain's Imperial Age Published 400 Years Late!

Well it's a nice selling-point. :btime:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Darby & Joan, a lost Tod Slaughter film sold for £207 on Ebay?

The OP on that linked thread says, "Not only this Tod Slaughter movie was "lost", but in sixty years of intensive research I never found anything on this MGM-British release. Not a single still, not any poster or even movie ad . . . don't think it was a hoax, as the seller reproduced some captions from his offer, so for the first time in sixty years I was able to see how Tod looked like in this movie."

The seasoned collectors on Nitrateville do not know who snagged this rare film and are kicking themselves for not spotting it. Still Lost, then, officially, until we know more! :dunno:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It'd be nice if someone could find Mr Slaughter's Desert Island Discs episode as well.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reconstructed Donizetti Opera to be Heard, 180 Years after Composition.

L'ange de Nisida, 1830s, reconstructed from scattered pages, thanks to the survival of the libretto.

Given the self-cannibalism of Italian composers of the period, the suspicion arises that we will know the music already in other contexts but Mark Elder, director of Opera Rara, assures us that “Over half of [L’Ange] has never ever been heard, which is terribly exciting.”

The promise, in the same article, that this score will “rewrite how we think about [Donizetti] as a composer, in particular about the breadth of his musical inspiration." sounds confident enough, though I wonder how many ears, these days, are familiar with the rest of his nearly-70 operas! :hapdan:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
After I brought my daughter back from the station this week I found a pair of sunglasses beside the path leading to the front door. The path leads off the driveway to the garage.
I was only gone a few minutes and none of the local children were out, not that they wear sunglasses anyway.
I left them sitting on the bit at the bottom of the drainpipe for a couple of days but no one came to get them. They have shiny blue lenses and are polaroid.
I was wondering if perhaps a bird had been attracted by their shininess and then dropped them.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The chap who does the garden came today. Turns out they were his sunglasses but he lost them a month ago and couldn't remember where.
I wonder where they were all that time as we would have noticed them beside the path. Maybe he put them on top of the metre box and the high winds we have had blew them off.

Cult Junky has been found!

A giant inflatable duck could be heading home after blowing away from a beach in Western Australia last week.

Daphne the duck, set to play a part in an annual ocean swimming competition, went missing on 11 March off Coogee Beach in Perth.

After a week-long search, and reported sightings hundreds of miles away, Daphne has popped up not far from where she blew away.

Local Toby Gibb found her on a fishing trip the day she disappeared.

Mr Gibb told the BBC he found the duck at around 06:30 - only an hour or so after Daphne went missing.

He is meeting Cockburn Masters Swimming Club chairman Peter Marr on Wednesday about returning the duck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43457112