• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Well if they want a fight, they can bring it on ..

Pick the hills you're prepared to die on...

back-to-school-funny-red-knives.jpg

maximus otter

The Willard Asylum was closed down in 1995, patients/inmates could bring a suitcase of belongings and these ended up in the loft of the building. Four hundred suitcases were found by an ex member of staff paid amongst others to clear the buildings out, many with the contents in near mint condition, the earliest cases date from 1910 ..

The Willard Asylum was closed down in 1995, patients/inmates could bring a suitcase of belongings and these ended up in the loft of the building. Four hundred suitcases were found by an ex member of staff paid amongst others to clear the buildings out, many with the contents in near mint condition, the earliest cases date from 1910 ..

What a terrible breach of their rights and dignity.

Reminds me of the massive displays of property stolen from arrivals at Auschwitz. Until I saw those, I hadn't quite grasped that people were sent there to be robbed and murdered. Taking their belongings (and clothes and even hair and teeth) dehumanised them and made it easier for them to be disposed of.

Locking up people with mental health problems and removing their last few, probably treasured possessions has the same effect. This is proved by the unmarked graves they were buried in.

What a terrible breach of their rights and dignity.

Reminds me of the massive displays of property stolen from arrivals at Auschwitz. Until I saw those, I hadn't quite grasped that people were sent there to be robbed and murdered. Taking their belongings (and clothes and even hair and teeth) dehumanised them and made it easier for them to be disposed of.

Locking up people with mental health problems and removing their last few, probably treasured possessions has the same effect. This is proved by the unmarked graves they were buried in.
Precisely, you can tell watching these vids that a lot of these people put their dreams and aspirations in their suitcases .. the woman who had her glamorous best silver coloured heels that were clearly never going to be used again for what she still wanted them for, the dashing GI who packed his service uniform and his picture and the picture of the woman he loved, all of these people's dreams crushed ... opening these cases is quite a voyeuristic thing to do although I don't judge the people who've re opened them, I definitely judge the people who 'stuffed them out of the way somewhere more convenient' .. bastards .. I think Auschwitz is a fair comparison on this level depressingly, yes.

“When I started working on it, a lot of people told me that the book was cursed and that people who start working on it die,” Palacios said.

“I laughed it off but I was a bit apprehensive at the same time. It’s taken a while because the people who have worked on it have died – one from a strange disease, one in a car accident and another of something else.”

Cursed Novel of Spain's Imperial Age Published 400 Years Late!

Well it's a nice selling-point. :btime:

Darby & Joan, a lost Tod Slaughter film sold for £207 on Ebay?

The OP on that linked thread says, "Not only this Tod Slaughter movie was "lost", but in sixty years of intensive research I never found anything on this MGM-British release. Not a single still, not any poster or even movie ad . . . don't think it was a hoax, as the seller reproduced some captions from his offer, so for the first time in sixty years I was able to see how Tod looked like in this movie."

The seasoned collectors on Nitrateville do not know who snagged this rare film and are kicking themselves for not spotting it. Still Lost, then, officially, until we know more! :dunno:

It'd be nice if someone could find Mr Slaughter's Desert Island Discs episode as well.

Reconstructed Donizetti Opera to be Heard, 180 Years after Composition.

L'ange de Nisida, 1830s, reconstructed from scattered pages, thanks to the survival of the libretto.

Given the self-cannibalism of Italian composers of the period, the suspicion arises that we will know the music already in other contexts but Mark Elder, director of Opera Rara, assures us that “Over half of [L’Ange] has never ever been heard, which is terribly exciting.”

The promise, in the same article, that this score will “rewrite how we think about [Donizetti] as a composer, in particular about the breadth of his musical inspiration." sounds confident enough, though I wonder how many ears, these days, are familiar with the rest of his nearly-70 operas! :hapdan:

After I brought my daughter back from the station this week I found a pair of sunglasses beside the path leading to the front door. The path leads off the driveway to the garage.
I was only gone a few minutes and none of the local children were out, not that they wear sunglasses anyway.
I left them sitting on the bit at the bottom of the drainpipe for a couple of days but no one came to get them. They have shiny blue lenses and are polaroid.
I was wondering if perhaps a bird had been attracted by their shininess and then dropped them.

The chap who does the garden came today. Turns out they were his sunglasses but he lost them a month ago and couldn't remember where.
I wonder where they were all that time as we would have noticed them beside the path. Maybe he put them on top of the metre box and the high winds we have had blew them off.

Cult Junky has been found!

A giant inflatable duck could be heading home after blowing away from a beach in Western Australia last week.

Daphne the duck, set to play a part in an annual ocean swimming competition, went missing on 11 March off Coogee Beach in Perth.

After a week-long search, and reported sightings hundreds of miles away, Daphne has popped up not far from where she blew away.

Local Toby Gibb found her on a fishing trip the day she disappeared.

Mr Gibb told the BBC he found the duck at around 06:30 - only an hour or so after Daphne went missing.

He is meeting Cockburn Masters Swimming Club chairman Peter Marr on Wednesday about returning the duck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43457112

I found a MUL-T-LOCK key cycling back from work today near one of the coastal caravan parks (I can't remember which park) .. it's also called an Integrator (both descriptions followed by a circled R registered trademark R) .. I'm imagining it's an updated old school skeleton key ? .. I'll take it to the local locksmith the next day off I can get and if it's dodgy, if so, I'll hand it in to the nearest rozzer .. if it isn't that dodgy, I'll nail it to the inside of our work's shed smoke room for a laugh along with other weird shit I've been nailing there (any further info from forum members will be gratefully grabbed) :

https://www.mul-t-lock.com/en/site/...atforms/mechanical-key-platforms/integratorr/

There are multiple lost items being found in this Minneapolis building - including a monkey with a weird but plausible back story ...

'Mummified monkey' found in Minneapolis department store
The "mummified" remains of a monkey have been discovered by workers redeveloping a former department store in the US state of Minnesota.

The dead creature was found in the ceiling of the old Dayton Department Store building in Minneapolis.

A spokeswoman for the building project said they were working with local museums to trace the origins of the spider monkey, as theories fly.

A nearby town's mayor suspects his dad stole the critter in the 1960s. ...

The "'perished primate' revealed itself in a ceiling" ...

Some ... suggested the monkey may have come from a pet store which was on the eighth floor of the 116-year-old building.

Regan Murphy, the mayor of Robbinsdale, Minnesota, believes his late father was to blame for the animal's disappearance.

The suburban Minneapolis mayor says that in the 1960s his dad Larry Murphy and a friend stole the simian from the pet shop. ...

Both men have since died, but the widow of the elder Murphy says he was known for monkey shines in his youth. ...

"Monkeys are not house broken," she explained.

"The monkey was discovered by [the friend's] mom, and she said 'Absolutely not. Can't have it, can't keep it."

The two teenagers brought the monkey back to the shop and released it, according to Murphy family lore.

Other curious items have been found in air ducts and in ceilings during the building's renovation, including papier mache Easter eggs and a stolen wallet that was recently returned to its owner.

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43730803

Now this is an interesting find, I hope to get to the screening.

Dawson City: Frozen Time + Intro

• Saturday, June 9 at 4 PM - 7 PM
    Irish Film Institute (IFI)
    6 Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2,

This Screening will take place on International Archives Day, and will be introduced by Kasandra O’ Connell, Head of IFI Irish Film Archive.

Bill Morrison’s extraordinary documentary pieces together the true history of a collection of 533 films dating from the 1910s to the 1920s, lost for over fifty years until being discovered buried in a sub-arctic swimming pool in Dawson city, deep in the Yukon Territory.

Using these permafrost protected silent films and newsreels, archive footage, interviews and historical photographs to tell the story, and accompanied by an enigmatic score by Sigur Ros collaborator Alex Somers, Dawson City: Frozen Time depicts a unique history of a Canadian gold rush town by chronicling the life cycle of a singular film collection from its exile, burial, rediscovery and restoration.

Abandoned and Ruinous, Underground or Lost & Found?
WW2 bunker found under Middlesbrough back garden.

A hidden World War Two bunker has been discovered under the back garden of a house in Middlesbrough.
Chris Scott was having his Marton Avenue home renovated when he decided to investigate what he thought was a drain cover.

But it turned out to be the entrance to a concrete-lined, two-room bunker, big enough for more than 50 people.
The married father-of-one, 40, said he plans to turn the bunker into a wine cellar or an office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-44226852

'Hero' diver finds Kate Sunley's stolen prosthetic leg

Sounds like she left in on the bank whilst swimming & found it missing on her return.

Diver Neil Richmond travelled 100 miles from Berwick-upon-Tweed to look for Kate Sunley's leg in the River Tees. She said she loves swimming because she doesn't need her leg and can "be like everybody else".

It was found underwater about 10ft away from where she left it in Preston Park, Stockton-on-Tees.

Why you'd want to go swimming in the Tees I don't know. Mr Richmond said he could only see a couple of inches in front of his mask, so "did it all by touch".

"It's probably the worst dive I've done in the Tees in the last 12 months. It was like diving in cold coffee"

This strikes me as more Lost & Found than Medical Mysteries ...

This Woman Lost Her Contact Lens. Doctors Found It in Her Eyelid 28 Years Later.
Nearly three decades ago, a 14-year-old in the United Kingdom got hit in the eye during a game of badminton and lost her contact lens. No big deal, right? Well, 28 years later, doctors found the missing contact … embedded in a cyst in her left eyelid.

It's not like the woman was looking for it the entire time, though. Instead, at age 42, she visited an ophthalmologist for what she thought was an unrelated problem: Her left eyelid had been swollen and drooping for about six months, and doctors could feel a small lump under the skin, according to a report of her case, published Aug. 10 in the journal BMJ Case Reports.

An MRI revealed a "well-defined" cyst, measuring 8 by 4 by 6 millimeters (0.31 by 0.16 by 0.24 inches), just above her left eye. The doctors then surgically removed the cyst.

Once the cyst was removed, however, it broke open, revealing an extremely fragile hard contact lens inside. ...

FULL STORY (with photos): https://www.livescience.com/63333-contact-lens-eyelid.html

Only took 18 years!

A woman has got her stolen wallet back 18 years later after it was handed to police with her driving licence along with a prized picture of Eric Cantona, still inside.

It disappeared when Joanne Beaven's handbag was pinched from a hotel in St Ives in Cambridgeshire.

A police officer said the wet and muddy item was posted through the station's letterbox on Sunday.

He traced her through the address on her then provisional driving licence.

Unsurprisingly, cash that had been inside was missing, but the dog-eared photo of retired footballer Cantona could still be seen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-45219485

Back