Lost & Found

SummerLightning

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I recall there was a case when the staff alerted the authorities to a set of bathtime pics by parents, on the grounds that they were potential abusers or providing fuel for perverts. It seemed to mark the onset of a new attitude to depictions of children*.

*Fewer the better, in my view! :puke2:
Maybe you're thinking of former BBC and ITN newsreader Julia Somerville, who in 1995 was arrested, together with her husband Sir Jeremy Dixon, after photos they sent to Boots for processing were found to include one of her daughter naked in a bathtub.

It was an innocent bathtime photo: allegations against the couple were dropped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Somerville

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Microchip tagging allowed this cat to be reunited with its owner after having been MIA for a decade ...
Utah woman reunited with missing cat after 10 years

A Utah animal shelter said a cat that went missing 10 years ago was reunited with her owner after being brought in as a stray.

The Tooele City Animal Shelter said a stray cat was recently brought into the shelter by a person who said they had been feeding the stray feline, but they were preparing to move and were concerned about leaving the cat without a consistent source of food. ...

The shelter scanned the cat for a microchip and found the contact information for a man who identified the cat as Mocha, his daughter's cat. The man said Mocha had gone missing from the family's home 10 years earlier, when his daughter was a teenager.

The man's daughter, now an adult, came into the shelter and was reunited with her long-lost pet.

The shelter said the story should serve as a reminder of how important it is to bring stray animals in to be scanned for microchips. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ith-missing-cat-after-10-years/7481595362624/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
An observant farmer found the prosthetic leg this skydiver lost without running over it with a farm machine.
Farmer returns prosthetic leg that skydiver lost during jump

A Vermont skydiver who lost his prosthetic leg during a jump has it back, thanks to a farmer who kept an eye out for it and spotted it in a soybean field.

Double amputee Chris Marckres, of Hyde Park, went for a jump Saturday at Vermont Skydiving Adventures in West Addison and lost one of his prosthetic legs after leaping from the plane. ...

He then put out the word on social media that he’d lost his leg. Farmer Joe Marszalkowski saw the post before finding the prosthetic on Sunday in a soybean field. Beyond a few scratches, it was undamaged.

“You’ve always got to keep an eye out,” said Marszalkowski, who compared the discovery to a needle in a haystack. He said he was grateful he found the leg without running it over with a machine during the fall harvest. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo):
https://apnews.com/ae157cb5a2248c5af1f7beade9a32edc

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another prosthetic leg lost and found story ...
Missouri police diving team locates rafter's prosthetic leg

A Missouri man who lost his prosthetic leg during a rafting trip was reunited with his lost limb thanks to a Missouri State Highway Patrol diving team.

Mike Evans of Woodson Terrace said he and some friends were rafting on the Meramec River on Saturday when he and a friend decided to walk in the water for a while. ...

Evans said they came upon some deeper water and had to swim back to the raft, where he noticed his prosthetic leg was missing.

"When I pulled myself onto the raft, I noticed immediately that my leg felt lighter," Evans told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Then I realized it was gone."

Evans said he and his friends searched the river, but were unable to locate any sign of his lost limb. He said the leg would cost $27,000 to replace ...

A Missouri state trooper heard about Evans' situation and contacted him via Facebook on Sunday night to request more information so he could send a dive team to search for the leg.

Troopers said the dive team arrived at the river about 9:30 a.m. Monday and had located the leg by noon. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...locates-rafters-prosthetic-leg/2391596047699/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
After a long hiatus, the "lost ring found surrounding a carrot or other veggie" category receives a new entry ...
Lost ring found wrapped around garlic plant months later

A ring that slipped from a Maine girl's finger while she was planting a garden turned up nine months later -- wrapped around a piece of garlic.

Madison Cooper, 12, said she lost the ring while planting garlic at the Chewonki Foundation in Wiscasset in October.

The ring had been a gift to her grandmother, Leanita Perry, from her late grandfather in 2012, and Perry had given the ring to Cooper after the grandfather's death. ...

The family never expected to see the ring again, but nine months later Hannah Marshall, a Chewonki Foundation Outdoor Educator, was harvesting the garlic and spotted something shiny on one of the plants.

"I was sent out to harvest the garlic, and I pulled up one of the final plants and I saw something shiny around the bottom, and at first I thought, 'It must be trash' " ...

She said she was shocked to see it was a ring wrapped around the plant.

"It was a total coincidence that the garlic kind of captured the ring as it grew through the straw that they helped put down" ...

Perry said the ring's return was a good omen.

"When the call came, it was 23 months after the day that he passed away, so it was like an omen, it was meant to be, she was meant to get that ring back," Perry said.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ound-garlic-plant-months-later/4071596133971/

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had looked everywhere for a steamer machine I had last used years ago as I wanted to clean around machines in the laundry.
Although I found the attachments I couldn't find the actual machine anywhere so bought a cheaper version from KMart.
Yesterday I was looking for a small folding trolley which also hadn't been used for ages when what should I see but the yellow wheels of the steamer standing up amongst some yellow topped paint cans.
Still haven't found the trolley which I wanted to move a heavy potplant, but I live in hope.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Maybe you're thinking of former BBC and ITN newsreader Julia Somerville, who in 1995 was arrested, together with her husband Sir Jeremy Dixon, after photos they sent to Boots for processing were found to include one of her daughter naked in a bathtub.

Blimey was that really 1995?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

My ex once took photos of our kids, aged 4-6, cavorting naked on a beach. I didn't know until I collected the holiday snaps.

I went, as the saying goes, fucking ballistic.

This was back in the '80s but I was surprised nothing had been said when I picked them up.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My ex once took photos of our kids, aged 4-6, cavorting naked on a beach. I didn't know until I collected the holiday snaps.

I went, as the saying goes, fucking ballistic.

This was back in the '80s but I was surprised nothing had been said when I picked them up.
It really was a more innocent time in the early '80's (maybe not for mothers and parents). Geoffrey Dickens accusing bigwigs in Westminster of being 'paedophiles' in 1981 was met with snorts and rolling of eyes across the nation. I remember there was an advert for Outspan oranges on TV with nine year old girls prancing about on a stage. It was my mate's younger sister who pointed out that perhaps they shouldn't be wearing T shirts with the slogan 'Small ones are more juicy'. Just didn't click at the time.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Birkbeck launches hunt for lost memorial that commemorates students who died in World War II

Birkbeck, University of London, had a sculpture commissioned in 1956 and seemed to have misplaced it at some unknown date. It 'depicts a woman sitting in a sorrowful pose, her limbs and body are disproportionally larger than her head, which is thought to suggest grief and mourning for her mother'. Anyway, they're offering a £20 Amazon voucher for the first person who can find the sculpture or tell them where it is - competition ends 23rd August, let's hope it's found.

Birkbeck sculpture.jpeg

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/news/birkbeck-...ommemorates-students-who-died-in-world-war-ii

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It really was a more innocent time in the early '80's (maybe not for mothers and parents). Geoffrey Dickens accusing bigwigs in Westminster of being 'paedophiles' in 1981 was met with snorts and rolling of eyes across the nation. I remember there was an advert for Outspan oranges on TV with nine year old girls prancing about on a stage. It was my mate's younger sister who pointed out that perhaps they shouldn't be wearing T shirts with the slogan 'Small ones are more juicy'. Just didn't click at the time.
My eldest daughter as a young child was given a gift of a pack of pants printed with My Little Pony characters. The pictures were on the front, as you'd imagine, and one was called Lickety-Split. Seemed a bit dodgy to me! but back then, as you say, children were supposed to be innocent. People who detected innuendo around them, as with the 'juicy' tee-shirts and the 'Lickety-Split' pants, were told they had dirty minds.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Birkbeck launches hunt for lost memorial that commemorates students who died in World War II

Birkbeck, University of London, had a sculpture commissioned in 1956 and seemed to have misplaced it at some unknown date. It 'depicts a woman sitting in a sorrowful pose, her limbs and body are disproportionally larger than her head, which is thought to suggest grief and mourning for her mother'. Anyway, they're offering a £20 Amazon voucher for the first person who can find the sculpture or tell them where it is - competition ends 23rd August, let's hope it's found.

View attachment 28513

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/news/birkbeck-...ommemorates-students-who-died-in-world-war-ii
Typical of a University to offer bobbins to the finder, when it'll cost a fortune to move it and possibly buy it off the current owner.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Birkbeck defence of a £20 Amazon voucher offer was "Big cash “no questions asked” rewards for lost or stolen artworks need to go through official channels, due to global concerns among law enforcement agencies that this would increase the incentive for theft". I think it could still be on campus somewhere.
I have three very large mortar and pestles cast from bell metal on a shelf in Stores, one inscribed with a dedication 1572. These came out of the Dean's old office years back and it took some searching through the School Committee minutes to track them down to a donation made in 1955. Three mortars had gone to the Ashmolean (Oxford) and three came to my domain - and I seem to be the only one left to know about them.