Lost & Found

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wedding ring lost at North Shields tip found in rubbish

A man has told how his "heart sank" when his wedding ring fell into a pile of rubbish at a tip on Valentine's Day.

James Ross was dropping off cardboard at North Shields recycling centre when it flew off his finger and disappeared 10ft (3m) into a container.

It was found "caked in rubbish and grime" by staff, who have been described as "life savers"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-tyne-56117907

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Taz the cat ran away and had to live semi(?)-feral for 14 years before his original owner re-discovered and recovered him.
Runaway cat reunited with family after 14 years in Britain

A British family whose cat escaped through an open bathroom window have been reunited with their beloved pet 14 years later.

Mandy Prior, 51, said her family's cat, Taz, escaped through a bathroom window 14 years ago when her family lived in Parkstone, Dorset, England. ...

Prior said the family searched for Taz, and even continued to put up posters after moving to Branksome, Dorset, but eventually they lost hope of ever seeing Taz again. ...

Prior said she was shocked when she was cruising Facebook recently and spotted a familiar feline face on a page for lost and found pets.

"I noticed he had the same markings and something just told me that it was him," Prior said.

Prior learned that Taz had been found wandering the area near her family's old home, and neighbors said they had been putting food out for the stray cat for several years.

Resident Chris Ward noticed recently that the feline looked unwell and brought the cat to Hilary Ford, who works with Cats Protection and is friends with the owner of Paula's Cat Rescue.

Taz went into the care of Paula's Cat Rescue while receiving treatment for dehydration and a mouth infection from some rotten teeth. Ford posted a photo of Taz to Facebook, where it was seen by Prior.

Taz underwent surgery for the mouth infection and went home to live with Prior and her family this month. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/02/25/britain-runaway-cat-14-years-Dorset/5241614279255/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A California man was reunited with the cat he adopted as a kitten and who went missing circa 15 years ago.
Cat that vanished 15 years ago reunited with owner

A cat that went astray about 15 years ago has been reunited, older and maybe wiser, with its owner.

Brandy, a brown tabby, was reunited Monday afternoon with Charles, who adopted her as a 2-month-old kitten in 2005.

“It’s amazing. I think it’s unbelievable,” he said Thursday.

“I saw her, I picked her up and she started to purr and it was very emotional,” Charles said. “It was nice to have her in my arms again.″ ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/los-angeles-cats-palmdale-f7124cbe659faa47b5758567d386e74f

Alchymist

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Towards the end of the last century it was - I was gifted with a 1935-built South Bend machinist's lathe, complete but all in pieces, from a friend of a friend who had just bought himself a nice new Maximat. I cleaned about 20lbs of accumulated guck out of it - I think it had seen wartime service - re-assembled it and fired her up, and she ran as sweetly as a new lathe - but the drive from the countershaft to the headstock was by old-style flat leather belt, which was held together with a few twisted bits of copper wire.

Not good, I thought to myself - I really need proper leather belt joiners, but where on Earth am I going to find an item like that? - they probably haven't been manufactured in the last fifty or sixty years, so scarcely something I might find in even a well-stocked hardware store.

I was living on a small island off the Canadian west coast at the time, and garbage disposal was very much a do-it-yourself affair. A few days after I'd re-assembled the lathe, I was at the local landfill site to drop off a consignment of garbage, so I took a look around - I'd fairly often picked up useful odds and ends there - and there, right in front of my feet was - a box of leather belt joiners. Now, what are the odds of making a find like that? - someone had disposed of a rather exotic item, right when I needed it, and at the exact time I needed it, and in a place where I was virtually certain to find it . . . . It boggled my mind, I can tell you!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Towards the end of the last century it was - I was gifted with a 1935-built South Bend machinist's lathe, complete but all in pieces, from a friend of a friend who had just bought himself a nice new Maximat. I cleaned about 20lbs of accumulated guck out of it - I think it had seen wartime service - re-assembled it and fired her up, and she ran as sweetly as a new lathe - but the drive from the countershaft to the headstock was by old-style flat leather belt, which was held together with a few twisted bits of copper wire.

Not good, I thought to myself - I really need proper leather belt joiners, but where on Earth am I going to find an item like that? - they probably haven't been manufactured in the last fifty or sixty years, so scarcely something I might find in even a well-stocked hardware store.

I was living on a small island off the Canadian west coast at the time, and garbage disposal was very much a do-it-yourself affair. A few days after I'd re-assembled the lathe, I was at the local landfill site to drop off a consignment of garbage, so I took a look around - I'd fairly often picked up useful odds and ends there - and there, right in front of my feet was - a box of leather belt joiners. Now, what are the odds of making a find like that? - someone had disposed of a rather exotic item, right when I needed it, and at the exact time I needed it, and in a place where I was virtually certain to find it . . . . It boggled my mind, I can tell you!
When my Dad was an apprentice pattern-maker just after WWII, he had to work on a massive lathe that was for turning up patterns for cannon barrels. The lathe was powered by huge leather belts that went up to the next floor. To change gear, he had to use a long pole to move the leather belt across from one spindle to another... all while it was running. He told me that on one occasion, the belt joiners gave way and the belt whipped about, narrowly missing him. They had to get in someone to fix it, as they had no spare leather onsite.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Dog found stuck down well in snow 43 days after he vanished from home 20 miles away

From Michigan.

The Springer Spaniel, named Milo, was reunited with his owners more than six weeks after he vanished in sub-zero temperatures

By the time he was found he had lost more than 2.5 stone and survived in the freezing cold for days.

At some point on his excursion the dog fell into the well at an old grain elevator, and got himself stuck.

neighbours heard him barking for several days, and eventually went to investigate.

Realising there was a trapped dog down the well, they called animal control officers from nearby Kent County Animal Shelter, who were able to fish him out.

A rope had to be looped around him by stunned rescuers to get him out.

Staff wrote: "We do know he survived frigid temps, snow storms, hunger and dehydration.

"He lost 33lbs and traveled nearly 20 miles over the past 43 days.
1614432413891.png

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
These two young ladies aren't twins, so I'll put this story here in Lost and Found. Two women working in a Connecticut restaurant bonded over their both having been adopted. They eventually suspected - and proved - they were in fact biological sisters.
Women who worked at same restaurant find out they're biological sisters

A pair of women who became close friends while working at the same restaurant discovered nine years later that they are biological sisters.

Cassandra Madison and Julia Tinetti said they met in 2013 when they were both working at the Russian Lady restaurant in New Haven. The women said they quickly became friends and bonded over both having Dominican Republic tattoos and being adopted. ...

A DNA test in February proved Madison and Tinetti were sisters. The women said they now know they have seven other siblings who were raised by their birth parents. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-restaurant-biological-sisters/5331614712576/

See Also:
https://www.fox61.com/article/featu...blic/520-94002ed6-c6f3-4b33-b23e-4508fd4fd6a0

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Louvre reunited with 'exceptional' armour stolen in 1983

The Louvre in Paris has been reunited with two long-lost pieces of Italian Renaissance armour, nearly 40 years after they were stolen.

The ornate helmet and breastplate had been recognised by a military expert in Bordeaux, who was asked to appraise a local family's collection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56277325

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A Texas man asked Goodwill if they could locate an old jacket his wife had donated. It contained an envelope with $5,000 inside. It took weeks of searching, but the thrift / charity workers finally found and returned the money.
Goodwill worker finds $5,000 left in donated jacket pocket

Employees at a Goodwill store in Texas said it took weeks of searching to find $5,000 cash that was mistakenly left in the pocket of a jacket that was donated to the store.

Goodwill Fort Worth officials said a man came into the thrift store chain's location in Hurst in early February to report that his wife had mistakenly donated an old jacket that had an envelope containing $5,000 cash in the pocket. ...

"We roughly get donated anywhere from 50 to 200 donations a day, so when the customer had come in, I explained to him that we had to go and sort through bag-per-bag," store manager Rhonda Davis said ...

Davis said workers searched through donations for several days without success. She said the search was slowed when icy weather forced the location to close for multiple days.

The manager said employee Maqayla DeLaPena finally found the envelope three weeks after the search began.

The cash was returned to the customer and DeLaPena was rewarded with a bonus and the Goodwill Medal of Integrity. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-left-in-donated-jacket-pocket/5391614808347/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another long-lost class ring story ...
Rhode Island man reunited with lost class ring after 47 years

A Rhode Island man who lost his high school class ring at the beach just two days after receiving it was reunited with the item 47 years later.

Steven Allen, of Westerly, said he was at the beach with friends in Weekapaug in 1974 when he lost the Westerly High School class ring he had received just two days earlier. ...

Todd Holtman, of Woodbury, Conn., said he and his family were visiting Westerly Town Beach about two years ago when they made a surprising discovery.

"We were walking back, and my wife actually kicked something that was shiny. We picked it up and it was an old ring," Holtman said. ...

Holtman found a Westerly High School 1974 yearbook and identified Allen as the ring's likely owner. He called school officials, who were able to put him in touch with one of Allen's relatives.

Holtman hand-delivered the ring to Allen. The men theorized the ring must have ended up in the ocean and traveled from Weekapaug to Westerly. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Westerly-High-School-47-years/2211614885874/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
We only hear about the ones that are found and returned.
In a way, the fact that lost class ring stories are so common illustrates some things about the peculiar tradition of class rings.

The folks who see them as significant (and purchase them) do so at or around the time they graduate. The ring is a symbol of a particular timepoint involving accomplishment and a major juncture in one's life. It seems a big deal during that particular period. Its significance generally fades as one moves on.

The fact that the owners soon or eventually give up on finding a lost class ring - even to the extent of forgetting it for years - is evidence for this notion that the ring's significance is mainly linked to a certain time. The fact that finders might invest the time and effort to locate the owner and return the ring also reflects the ring's decreasing importance over time. To the finder the act of locating the owner is little more than an interesting puzzle to solve. The ring has no substantial monetary value nowadays, leaving only its sentimental value to the owner (or the owner's family).

It's therefore not surprising that (a) owners forget about it and (b) finders may be motivated to return it as an interesting exercise because there's nothing more constructive to do with someone else's ring. Item (a) tends to ensure the rings stay lost, and item (b) tends to generate human interest stories.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Reports today say the long-lost second reel of Laurel and Hardy's classic short The Battle of the Century has been found! Please don't let this be a hoax, that pie fight's reputation has grown dramatically (or comedically) down the decades so let's hope it's as funny as they said back in the 1920s.
It is over five years since news of this discovery whetted the appetites of film buffs.

Let the man who found it explain the context.

I watched this at the time and was tantalised by the titles at the end, which explain how the audience then went on to see the restored movie.

It has been broadcast on the Arte Channel in Europe, since; that is evidently the source of this HD posting on Youtube.

There is no sound and there are a few burned-in French subtitles. Another version - without the subtitles? - in two segments, appears to have disappeared. The present version was posted only yesterday and may not stay up for long. Enjoy! :popc:

In this interview, another L. & H. buff explains the significance of this film in the early career of the pair as a team.

Together with Hats Off, The Battle of the Century was given a massive publicity push in 1927. Hats Off remains a lost film.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Thanks, but it says "blocked"! Appreciate the attempt, though.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It is over five years since news of this discovery whetted the appetites of film buffs.

Let the man who found it explain the context.

I watched this at the time and was tantalised by the titles at the end, which explain how the audience then went on to see the restored movie.

It has been broadcast on the Arte Channel in Europe, since; that is evidently the source of this HD posting on Youtube.

There is no sound and there are a few burned-in French subtitles. Another version - without the subtitles? - in two segments, appears to have disappeared. The present version was posted only yesterday and may not stay up for long. Enjoy! :popc:

In this interview, another L. & H. buff explains the significance of this film in the early career of the pair as a team.

Together with Hats Off, The Battle of the Century was given a massive publicity push in 1927. Hats Off remains a lost film.
Working for me in the UK on a MacBook using Safari but with no VPN. Just 24 views so far!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In a way, the fact that lost class ring stories are so common illustrates some things about the peculiar tradition of class rings.

The folks who see them as significant (and purchase them) do so at or around the time they graduate. The ring is a symbol of a particular timepoint involving accomplishment and a major juncture in one's life. It seems a big deal during that particular period. Its significance generally fades as one moves on.

The fact that the owners soon or eventually give up on finding a lost class ring - even to the extent of forgetting it for years - is evidence for this notion that the ring's significance is mainly linked to a certain time. The fact that finders might invest the time and effort to locate the owner and return the ring also reflects the ring's decreasing importance over time. To the finder the act of locating the owner is little more than an interesting puzzle to solve. The ring has no substantial monetary value nowadays, leaving only its sentimental value to the owner (or the owner's family).

It's therefore not surprising that (a) owners forget about it and (b) finders may be motivated to return it as an interesting exercise because there's nothing more constructive to do with someone else's ring. Item (a) tends to ensure the rings stay lost, and item (b) tends to generate human interest stories.
We Brits don't have a tradition of class rings. All we know about them is that a spotty jock sometimes asks a ponytailed beauty to wear his class ring as a sign they're 'going steady' (so they can have sex, possibly at the Drive-In Movies) and he then loses the ring, to be emotionally reunited with it decades later.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Florence Price: Forgotten work by pioneering composer rediscovered

A forgotten work by the pioneering composer Florence Price has been rediscovered and performed for the first time in nearly 80 years.

Price made history in 1933 when she became the first African-American woman to have a symphony performed by a major US orchestra, in Chicago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56322440

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
An Australian man's surfboard lost in 2017 turned up 1700 miles away, and it probably had to travel farther than that to get to the place where it was found.
Australian man's lost surfboard found 16 months later, 1,700 miles away

An Australian man who lost his surfboard while catching a big wave discovered the board had been found 16 months later when it was spotted drifting nearly 1,700 miles away.

Danny Griffiths, of Hobart, Tasmania, said he was surfing on the island of Pedra Branca, off the southern coast of Tasmania, in 2017 when he was separated from his board. ...

Griffiths said he learned of the board's fate nearly four years later, when two tourists from northern Queensland visited Tasmania and mentioned to some locals how their sons, who are fishermen, found a surfboard floating in the water a few years earlier. ...

The fishermen, Troy and Beau Breed, had plucked the board out of the water off the coast of Queensland's Magnetic Island in 2018.

Griffiths said the barnacle-encrusted board apparently had been in the water for 16 months before being fished out nearly 1,700 miles from where he lost it.

Edward Doddridge, a physical oceanographer with the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, said the board likely floated past New Zealand before ending up in Queensland.

"It must have gone east from Tasmania and then north up through the middle of the Pacific Ocean and then come back in toward the Australian coast," he said.

"That seems like the only possible way for it to get from Tasmania to Queensland. It's very unlikely to have gone straight up the east coast of Australia." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...nths-later1700-miles-Australia/7311615832746/

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
We Brits don't have a tradition of class rings. All we know about them is that a spotty jock sometimes asks a ponytailed beauty to wear his class ring as a sign they're 'going steady' (so they can have sex, possibly at the Drive-In Movies) and he then loses the ring, to be emotionally reunited with it decades later.
The tradition of buying a school hoodie with the names of all the Class of (Whatever your leaving year is) on the back may mean that, in years to come, people will be reporting being reunited with their School Sweatshirt after many years of it passing through mum's various houses, attics and then charity shops.