• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

New Zealand: Couple trace ring lost in waves six years ago
By News from Elsewhere...
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from ... e-26920809

...media reports from around the world, found by BBC Monitoring

Engagement ring
'
Baby accused of 'planning murder'
A couple in New Zealand are hoping to claim back a unique engagement ring, which has reportedly been found six years after it was lost in the sea.

Vivienne and Jeff Ninnes say that 15 years ago, they designed the ring together, carefully choosing the main stone. But six years ago, on a beach holiday in Northland, the ring was lost in the waves while Vivienne was splashing in the water with her husband and children.

"I didn't realise I lost both the engagement ring and wedding ring until we got back to the house," she says, according to the New Zealand Herald. "We went straight back to the beach and looked. It was a heart-stopping moment when I realised they were gone."

It eventually surfaced, when 83-year-old Bernard Patterson, an experienced beachcomber, was out testing his latest metal detector. He had the ring valued, and gave it to police, who traced the ring back to the jeweller who made it. He recognised it immediately.

Today, the Ninnes family are trying to get their ring back from the insurance company - to whom ownership of the ring was transferred after the claim was paid out. It may already have been sold.

Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.

New Zealand: Couple trace ring lost in waves six years ago
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from ... e-26920809

...media reports from around the world, found by BBC Monitoring

Engagement ring
'
Baby accused of 'planning murder'
A couple in New Zealand are hoping to claim back a unique engagement ring, which has reportedly been found six years after it was lost in the sea.

Vivienne and Jeff Ninnes say that 15 years ago, they designed the ring together, carefully choosing the main stone. But six years ago, on a beach holiday in Northland, the ring was lost in the waves while Vivienne was splashing in the water with her husband and children.

"I didn't realise I lost both the engagement ring and wedding ring until we got back to the house," she says, according to the New Zealand Herald. "We went straight back to the beach and looked. It was a heart-stopping moment when I realised they were gone."

It eventually surfaced, when 83-year-old Bernard Patterson, an experienced beachcomber, was out testing his latest metal detector. He had the ring valued, and gave it to police, who traced the ring back to the jeweller who made it. He recognised it immediately.

Today, the Ninnes family are trying to get their ring back from the insurance company - to whom ownership of the ring was transferred after the claim was paid out. It may already have been sold.

Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.

How did that find it's way into the story? It's not in the BBC report. Do you know something we don't?

ramonmercado said:
Its a link to another story!
Which should have been edited out! Along with any ads, etc...

(Just copy the story, not the whole page.)

rynner2 said:
ramonmercado said:
Its a link to another story!
Which should have been edited out! Along with any ads, etc...

(Just copy the story, not the whole page.)

I edited out the rest, i just missed that one ye grumpy ould git!

ramonmercado said:
I edited out the rest, i just missed that one ye grumpy ould git!
Gnarly old git, actually! ;)

Biker Looking For False Teeth Brings Traffic To A Halt

MADRID (AP) — A motorcyclist brought traffic to a standstill on one of Madrid's busiest highways after he pulled over to look for his false teeth, which flew out of his mouth when he sneezed, according to local media reports.

Two municipal police officers approached the motorcyclist Saturday and ordered him to resume his journey for his own safety and that of other drivers on the capital's M-30 highway, Europa Press reported. It wasn't known if the man found his dentures.

City police weren't immediately available to confirm the report and provide more details.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/2 ... 25807.html

Camera pictures saved from the deep
...as found by BBC Monitoring
14:42 UK time, Friday, 23 May 2014

A camera that was lost two years ago in a shipwreck off the west coast of Canada has been found with its memory card and pictures intact - and is due to be returned to its original owner.

The camera - encrusted in sea organisms - was brought up from the sea bed by a group of students on a diving trip near Vancouver Island in British Columbia, the Vancouver Sun reports. When they brought the camera back to the Bamfield Marine Sciences Center, they discovered the memory card was still working, and saw one photo in particular - a group shot - that they thought might help them find the owner.

After about a week, a water taxi driver responded to a sign on a local notice board, saying he thought he recognised one of the men in the photo. And a coast guard member said he had actually taken part in the man's rescue.

"That just shocked me," the camera owner, Paul Burgoyne, tells CBC News. "Getting the camera, or the photos back, that's really quite wonderful." Burgoyne, an artist, was sailing 500km (310 miles) from Vancouver to his summer home in Tahsis, British Columbia, when the boat sank in an accident during the night. He says the discovery has given him a newfound respect for technology. "You throw most of it away every two years, but that little card is an amazing bit of technology." 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/news_from_elsewhere/

Stolen pedal car finds its way back to Wiltshire from Wales

A family from Wiltshire have been reunited with a rare, collectable pedal car after it was found during a drugs raid in south Wales.
The shiny red Austin J40 car was seized by officers in Aberdare after it was stolen in a burglary last year.
PC Myfanwy Beaumont set about trying to find the rightful owners and after two months she was successful.

The car is 5ft 3 inches (1.6m) long and weighs just under 50kg and has been in the same family for 50 years.
Owner Kate Marment drove 145 miles (230km) from her home in Heytesbury to Merthyr Tydfil police station on Wednesday to collect the family heirloom.

PC Beaumont, said: "When we came across the car we'd never seen anything like it - we knew straight away it was cherished by somebody somewhere, and we suspected it had been stolen.
"I was desperate to find the owner, and am delighted to be the one to hand it back to the family where it will be so well looked after."

Ms Marmant said she thought she would never see the car again.
"It is our pride and joy, a family heirloom which has been passed down through and enjoyed by generations," she added.
"I'd like to thank PC Beaumont for her tenacity and determination to find us. She understood what it means to us and we are very grateful."

An investigation into how the car ended up in the Cynon Valley is ongoing.
A 36-year-old man from Aberdare is on police bail pending further inquiries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-27744544

A Wisconsin woman who lost her diamond wedding ring five years ago had given up all hope of finding it after searching high and low.

It turns out her mischievous dog may have had it all along.

Lois Matykowski, of Stevens Point, was eating an icecream two weeks ago when she noticed her granddaughter’s own one was gone. Her dog, Tucker, was to blame. The 10-year-old mutt the family calls the “food burglar” had struck again, swallowing it whole.

The snatched food soon came back up. Two days later, Tucker threw up again. Matykowski said that this time when she went to clean up the mess, she found her missing ring.

Her veterinarian says the Popsicle icecream may have dislodged the ring from inside his belly.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 73969.html

Video

Lost mobile phone's amazing journey
A US farmer who lost his mobile phone in a grain pit has had it returned - nine months later from a different continent.

Kevin Whitney thought the phone was lost for good when he dropped it in the giant store at his farm in Oklahoma.
But nine months later he received a call from Japan.

Emily Thomas reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28240939

Missing climber's body found in Alps after 32 years

Mountain climbers have discovered the frozen body of a young climber who disappeared 32 years ago in the French Alps, French media reports say.
Patrice Hyvert was last seen alive on 1 March 1982, when he took a solitary climb in the Mont Blanc mountain range on the French-Italian border.
The 23-year-old did not return after the weather took a bad turn.

Rescue officials say the mountaineer's frozen body was found with his ID and all of his ski equipment still on him.
His body was found by two climbers on 3 July on the Talefre glacier at an altitude of 2,687 metres, local newspaper Dauphine Libere reported.

His father, Gerard, told RTL radio that he had given up hope of finding his son's body.
"I'm a mountain man, and I would have preferred him to stay up there...He was better on a mountain than in a coffin. He was in his element," he said.

Thousands of climbers risk their lives on the dangerous terrain and inclement weather of the Mont Blanc range, with dozens killed each year.
Nine climbers died in the French Alps when they were swept away by an avalanche in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28245339

rynner2 said:
Vivian Maier: lost art of an urban photographer
By Jill Nicholls, Director, BBC One imagine

She's been called 'the greatest photographer you've never heard of'... the mysterious Vivian Maier, a nanny based in Chicago who took about 150,000 photographs in her lifetime and stashed them away, not showing them to anyone.
She left thousands not even developed, and most as negatives from which she never made prints. :shock:

It was sheer accident that her life's work was discovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/0/23007897
The beeb reports on another look at this enigmatic nanny:

The nanny who took thousands of photos of daily life

Publicly, she was a children's nanny. Privately, she was an avid photographer who captured more than 100,000 images. But Vivian Maier's decades of work remained hidden - until her negatives, prints and 8mm films were sold at a thrift auction in Chicago in 2007.

Now, a documentary film - Finding Vivian Maier - looks at her intriguing and remarkable legacy.
One of its directors, Charlie Siskel, spoke to BBC Radio 4's Today programme about the woman - the street spy - who captured fascinating moments of daily life from the 1950s to the 1990s.

[Video: 3m 41s: Finding Vivian Maier is released in the UK on 18 July 2014.]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28123706

I wonder, if she'd ever got into the internet (she died in 2008, aged 83), whether she'd have put her photos on a website or three, perhaps anonymously.

(Did I tell you about my photo websites? Oh, I did... :oops: )

Landlord finds lost watch INSIDE DOG when alarm sounds as reminder to call last orders
Jul 27, 2014 18:14
By Adam Aspinall

PUB landlord Terry Morgan finally found his lost beloved wristwatch – when its alarm went off INSIDE his dog.
Terry had searched high and low for the £500 timepiece without success.
Little did he know his dopey Newfoundland Charlie had decided it was chime for a snack, and had swallowed it whole.
But his suspicions that the mutt had something to do with the untimely disappearance were confirmed when heard its familiar ring.

Terry, 66, said: “At first I thought he was lying on it. Only when I rolled him over did I realise it was inside him.
"The watch was set to go off at 10:55pm to remind me to call last orders. I rushed him to the vet for an emergency operation and was a bit ticked off because that would have cost me about £1,000.
“But when Charlie saw the anaesthetic needle he howled with fright and coughed the watch up.”

Terry, who lives next door to his Anchor pub at Cockwood, near Exeter, Devon, added: “It still cost over £200 because they had to do X-rays to see if he had anything else in his stomach. I’ve also had to put up with the endless ‘Time’ jokes from the regulars. :D
“But I’ve forgiven him. He’s always hiding my socks and anything else left lying around.”

A spokesman for the St Davids Veterinary group in Exeter said: “It was the talk of the surgery.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... de-3922792

I may well have visited that pub in my student days on the way to the beach at Dawlish Warren. But that would have been long before Charlie was born! (This story was on the local news tonight.)

It's now a watchdog. :D

Mythopoeika: awesome! :lol:

SKELETONS IN CLOSET?

USA: An archaeology museum in Philadelphia has made an extraordinary find — in its own storage rooms.

The Penn Museum has rediscovered a 6,500-year-old human skeleton. The remains were originally excavated from southern Iraq around 1930.

Officials said the rare specimen was identified during efforts to digitise the museum’s collection. They believe it is a man of at least 50, who stood about 5ft 9in tall.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 78594.html

Son reunited with father's WW1 medal found in a shed
Two friends who found a First World War medal while knocking down a shed have traced the owner after their search was highlighted in The Telegraph
By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent
8:29PM BST 08 Aug 2014

A man has been reunited with his father’s First World War medal after two friends found it in a derelict shed and appealed for help to trace the recipient.
Graham Banks and Jennifer Ette found the British Victory Medal belonging to a mysterious ‘E.W. Follows’ when knocking down the shed in Rugby, but were unable to trace any of his relatives.

They have now been able to find his son after their hunt was reported in The Telegraph.
The soldier has been revealed as Edward White Follows, who served in France with the Worcestershire Regiment.

His son, John, was alerted to the lost medal by his employer, David Smith-Ryland, who saw the report and asked him if he knew the owner.
Mr Follows, a farming contractor from Hatton in Warwickshire, said his father had spoken little of the war, other than revealing he was in charge of mule teams in France.

He said: “You see what’s on television and you can well understand why they didn’t talk about it. Anyone who had been though that would want to cut it off.”

He said: “He never mentioned a word of it. The only thing he said to me was once, when the sun was shining, he said: ‘When the sun shone in the trenches, we used to pick ticks off each other.’” :?

Edward Follows was one of four brothers and had left his native Worcestershire as a young man to go to America, but returned to enlist at the outbreak of war. After the war, he and one brother, Tom, farmed together in Worcestershire, but sold up during the 1930s. Tom moved to Rugby to work as a butcher and Mr Follows believes that is how the medal ended up in the town.
He said: “The only thing I can think of is they gave up farming in the depression and sold up. When they packed the house up, it must have gone to Uncle Tom.”
Edward Follows married late and was in his 60s when his son was born.

Mr Banks said he was delighted his search was complete.
He said: “We wanted to return it to a family member and it’s even better if it’s actually his son.” :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/1102 ... -shed.html

"Too Much Johnson," is an innuendo for most of us but for Orson Welles enthusiasts, it means a long-lost film, predating Citizen Kane by three years. A couple of years ago, the work-print (it was never assembled, true to Wellesian form!) turned up and now it has been put online by the National Film Preservation Foundation.

Get your Johnson out here!

The 66 minute workprint is about 1 Gb in size. :)

I might try it myself when my lousy BT Broadband is feeling more cooperative! :twisted:

My cat was lost, but now is found.

My Maine Coon cat, Shelly pushed out of my house last Sunday. I searched and called, but no Shelly.

After looking for a few days, I gave her up for lost. I was very sad.

Then, walking down the alley behind my house, I heard a meow-funny, how we get to know the voices of our furry friends-and looking through a crack in the fence, saw Shelly, who tried to come to me, but couldn't get through the opening. OK, so my cat is really fat, sue me?

I tried to lure her with food, but she was unable to pass the opening.....then I fetched a can of her favorite food(any kind that can't eat back). Then, I noted that if she came at a shallow angle, there was room.

The poor beast was emitting strangled cries of frustration and hunger as I flattened myself against the fence and waved the can. Cats are not inscrutable, you can easily tell what they're thinking, and this one was thinking, "GIMMIE DAT FOOD!". A look that said, "Oh, yeah, like dat?" came over her face and she easily slid through the opening.

She ran to the basement door, stopping only to hiss at Pyewackit, the outside cat, and I let her in to ingest the can of Friskie's, run up the steps(pausing briefly to hiss at the dog)and curl up in her padded bed, where she slept the clock 'round.

Three days in the wild seem to have dampened her curiosity.

Not much of a mystery, but boy, am I glad to have her back.

Isn't it strange how we get to know the voices of our four-legged friends?

Geometry is not their forte, and they are not quite as smart as we(and they) think.

I guess the Ceiling Cat was looking out for her and that God answered this prayer with a 'yes'.

:D Great news that you've been reunited with your feline friend! Maine Coons are adorable.

I don't think she'll be wanting any more outdoor adventures soon.

I often have night terrors, but an animal or a person sharing the bed with me lets me sleep the night through, peacefully.

That was a close one!

Absolutely BRILLIANT news there. :D

I expect you heard about my own *lost* cat? :oops:

I hope it was as happy a story as mine.

Sometimes they hide to vex us, sometimes just to get some peace and quiet. At the house in Baltimore, where my friends lived, there was a hoard of 11 cats-shameful, really-and several of them escaped.

We could never find one of them-turrns out the poor thing had crawled into the bed and suffocated. There was no smell, and the critter was mummified.

Let this be a warning, three cats is the upper limit!

I have my Staffordshire terrier, Shelly the Maine coon cat(inside cat) and Pyewackit, the black cat that haunts my back yard and cries for cat food. She has a standing offer to be a housecat, but she seems to prefer being outdoors.

The small scrum of ferals and strays seem to keep the rats at bay. This winter, some of the neighbors and I are going to mount a massive poisoning offensive.

It may work-wish us luck!

We could never find one of them-turrns out the poor thing had crawled into the bed and suffocated. There was no smell, and the critter was mummified.

:shock:

Let this be a warning, three cats is the upper limit!

That is indeed sensible advice. I've heard veterinarians state that cat dynamics change for the worse when there are more than three felines in one household. Apparently cats can become very insecure about their territory and food when they live with multiple other felines. I've never had any more than three at any given time so I can't comment.

A friend told me a relation of hers lives with nine Maine Coons in a small house. Given the size of the breed, tripping over cats must be a daily event, not to mention other difficulties.

I've owned lots of cats, always strays or unwanted ones that I've taken in, and they tend to pal up in twos or threes if there're more than four. I've never had one that didn't get on with at least one of the others eventually.

We currently have four, all rehomed at different times, and they hang out in two pairs. The two pairs don't interact much. They all seem content though.

Anyway…
We lost Tim the cat. It was all very sad. :(

Then someone found him run over in the road, and I recovered him and had him cremated, and a few days later he came back… :shock:

Aarghh! It's the Cats Thread, sneaking in by the back door - and not for the first time either!

:evil:

MODS! This stray must be put down!

(I thought I'd nailed up that cat-flap in the back door...)

That's the thing about cats. They go where they want.

Back