• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

I'm glad you found your friend.

Similar circumstances a few days before Shelly decamped, I missed Pyewackit-usually, she comes daily and cries for a meal-lately, she's been getting friendlier, and may come in this winter.

A few streets over, I passed the carcass of a black cat, run down in the street. I said a prayer for the repose of her spirit, and went on to the supermarket. And returned home.

Yes, Pyewackit was by the window, mewing piteously!

And the black cat carcase was gone.

Now that black cat, a classic Halloween kitty with coal black fur and yellow eyes, is getting friendlier.

Animals are a great mystery.

Of the many we've kept over the years, several have decided to be 'outside' cats for a while. They stay out in alll weathers and find somewhere warm to sleep.

One lived in a shed all winter. I put her heated blanket in there so she'd be warm. She eventually moved back in. Why? I dunno, ask her!

Two of our current cats are living under the front hedge and eating and drinking on the doorstep. I feel that they'll come back in when the first frost nips.

Another often comes for his first meal an hour later than the others. We think he has another home, the two-timing monster. ;)

Cats can often have complex living arrangements.

When I first came to Baltimore, my upstairs neighbors had a Russian Blue who would vanish all day, then come home to dine, be petted and go to bed.

One day, to sharpen my detective skills, I followed him and observed his behavior.

He had seven bowls of handouts in a four block range. After this, he'd take a nap, then go hunting. He ate what he killed, too.

Then it was supper, and his comfy basket for the night.

Once, his 'mommy' adopted a kitten, and in high snit, the cat moved in with me for three years. The kitten died of stupidity at the age of three(went to sleep and never woke up) and the cat returned to his original home.

He managed to unite a block of standoffish people into a friendly neighborhood where everybody talked to each other.

He died, old and full of years at about the age of 25. He is missed.

Our cats were housecats until they were four, when we moved from urban Brighton to knitted-jumpers-and-flip-flops Lewes and they suddenly became mighty hunters of the night.

You never forget your first headless mouse.

Or the first dead mouse that 'pops' under your bare feet in the dark.

Now they're eight and one of them stays indoors on a bed pretty much all day, while her brother has a like-clockwork schedule - although today I found him lying fast asleep in a muddy border outside, oblivious to the torrential downpour.

Of course, I got a cuddle then.

You never forget your first headless mouse.

Or the first dead mouse that 'pops' under your bare feet in the dark.

:lol:

While living in Dar-es-Salaam many years ago, a friend of mine was awoken in the middle of the night by one of her cats. She turned on the light to discover the carcass of a dead rat lying on the floor next to the bed and her cat sitting proudly beside it. Two more rat carcasses appeared over the course of the next few days. My friend said after this massacre the building had no further problems with rats. Word must have spread via the rodent bush telegraph that the building was no longer safe.

Southwest Airlines Loses Passenger Alice Vaticano

Airlines misplace luggage all the time, but Southwest Airlines is coming under fire for losing a passenger.

After visiting her daughter, Alice Vaticano, 85, was flying home to Denver from Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey.

A skycap working on behalf of Southwest Airlines promised to take Vaticano in her wheelchair directly to her gate, but actually abandoned her along the way. Vaticano missed her flight and was stuck in Newark for 11 hours.

“She pushed me there and left me,” Vaticano told CBS Denver. “I was just sitting all day in a wheelchair.”

Vaticano, who has diabetes was confined to her wheelchair without food or a chance to use the restrooms, before she was finally noticed by airline employees, according to her daughter, Donna Vaticano. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... 25698.html

This is a Lost and Found story, but it's also much more - a mini-biography of a remarkable woman.

Exmoor writer Hope Bourne's lost Withypool manuscript rediscovered
By Tammy McAllister, BBC News, Somerset

A little-known manuscript by a writer and naturalist, who became famous in the 1970s for her self-sufficient lifestyle on Exmoor, has been discovered after being "lost" for 45 years.

Hope Bourne's remote, rural lifestyle was at odds with the 20th Century. For more than two decades she shot game for food, grew her own vegetables and lived alone in a leaky caravan without electricity on the open moorlands of Exmoor - all solely due to her sheer willpower, resilience and love of the countryside.
She was a well-known figure in Exmoor whose views and knowledge on farming, hunting and wildlife became well-known locally through her popular newspaper column and books.
But her colourful character is how she was brought to national attention in the late 70s in the first of two TV documentaries about her life.

Now a fresh insight into her life has been unearthed, in the form of a manuscript previously thought of as lost.
"A Village of the Moor" was found in the Exmoor Society's old storeroom during a move to its new premises and has been described as an eloquent insight into village life in the late 1960s.
It reveals a world that was in the midst of changing from the traditional to the modern.
"Farming, hunting, gossip - such as a wedding or funeral - these make the pattern of life here," she writes.
"The radio and the telly, it is true, bring the wider world into almost every home, but here a hold-up in London or war in the Middle East is of far less importance than yesterday's rain or to-morrow's sheep sale."

"I found a box labelled Village Survey and it was just sitting there in these little orange folders," said Dr Helen Blackman, the society's senior archivist.
"To be honest I didn't quite register its significance because I was a few weeks into a new job."

It was turned down by Bourne's former publisher, Victor Bonham-Carter when she first wrote it
The work dates from the time Bourne had temporarily abandoned her self-sufficient lifestyle and moved to Withypool, a village in the heart of Exmoor, to recover from a broken heart.
At the time, Bourne would have been in her late 40s, early 50s while the man she had fallen in love with was two decades younger.

In the preface, she wrote: "Just about three years ago from this time of writing I sustained a complete breakdown due to some very great personal unhappiness and upon recovering found myself, for the time being at least, unable to continue the same way of life."

Book publisher Steven Pugsley, who knew Bourne from when he was a child living on Exmoor, said he was was "very excited" about the discovery.
"What it is, is Hope's understanding of the place where she lived, peopled by those who she knew and loved and her journey of discovering what her home village was all about," he said.
Bourne died aged 91 in August 2010 having never married or had children.

"In a way Withypool was her husband and children rolled into one and it's almost like a love letter to her surroundings, her environment," said Mr Pugsley.
"I think as a part of her oeuvres, it's very important. It's an extremely good example of her writing, a very enjoyable piece of writing of Hope at her best."

The manuscript is about 60,000 words long with evocative scenes of country life. Of Withypool Hill she wrote: "I see it streaked with snow, black and sodden with winter rain, tawny-gold with the bleaching winds of spring and heather-crowned with the purple glory of high summer."

There are also affectionate memories of people who she knew and who died in the village.
Of her friend May Common, who died in 1960 she described May's dogs as being the "chief mourners" at her funeral.
She added: "They followed the coffin into the church and up the aisle to the chancel steps and then sat with May's sisters in the front pew, just as though they understood everything."

Normally Bourne, who was also a gifted painter, wrote only using a pencil, storing her mouse-nibbled notes in old tins.
The manuscript for a Village on the Moor was typed up by her publisher Victor Bonham Carter but was later rejected as being too contemporaneous.
But now - some 45 years later - the manuscript has acquired new value as a piece of social history and is set to be published early next year.

"She was quite a mass of contradictions in many respects," added Mr Pugsley. "She was a very small lady but she was extraordinarily tough. She was a very private woman but she had an awful lot of friends.
"She had no family but she did have a very wide circle of friends who I think I would say she was mother and sister and sometimes daughter to them."

----------------------------------------------

Bourne was born in 1918 and lived with her widowed mother until her 30s. When her mother died, the house was sold off
She lived in her caravan for 24 years, from 1970 until 1994 when, to her great distress, she had to leave due to her age and asthma

In the 1970s Bourne's way of life attracted widespread media coverage in the national papers and two television documentaries; About Britain: Hope Bourne Alone on Exmoor (1978) and Hope Bourne - Woman of Exmoor (1981)
She had five books published: Living on Exmoor, A Little History of Exmoor, Wild Harvest, Hope Bourne's Exmoor: Eloquence in Art and her only novel Jael, which was published after her death
According to her publisher, Steven Pugsley, "her work sums up better than any, deep rural life in the late 20th Century when technology, mass media and the tentacles of urban living had made inevitable inroads"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-28064139

CAR COMEBACK

USA: Forty-six years after the first really nice car Ivan Schneider ever owned disappeared from in front of his New York City building, the Jaguar convertible is coming home.

Running a routine check at the Port of Long Beach, California Highway Patrol identified the 1967 Jaguar XKE as stolen. The problem: It was already on a cargo ship, headed for Europe. More than two months later, the car is back in southern California.

After a lifetime of owning luxury cars, 82-year-old Schneider said he always remembered the Jag as the “prettiest” he had bought. Decades later, it is far from pristine. His plan is to refurbish it for Sunday drives.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 87499.html

An unusual one:

Kent songwriter's search for record lasts four decades

A songwriter has finally managed to listen to the only known vinyl copy of a song he composed 40 years ago. 8)
Simon Block wrote "He's The Guy" in 1974, when he was living in Edenbridge, Kent, and it became the B-side of a single by a band called 100% Proof.

However, the distributor went bust and Mr Block's search for it was fruitless, along with dreams of it becoming a hit.
His son Robin managed to find the record on eBay and bought it for £5.
"It's something that I've waited to hear for 40 years," his father said.
"I've only ever had three songs signed to a publisher, and only one of them has ever been released.

"Any songwriter/composer wants to hear an artist sing his song.
"For the first time in 40 years I've suddenly got a chance to hear my song, which I'd written, sung by a proper professional artist and released on a record."
Robin added: "It was the best £5 I've ever spent." :)

Simon, who now lives in France, came back to the UK to receive the record from his son last Friday, and to play it to family and friends at a special gathering.

Mark Arthurworrey, former producer on the Seven Sun label, was behind the record's release in June 1975.
He said it was still "a great song".
"I think a good song never dates... and I think that it could be re-recorded or it could be re-released," he said.
"With the right distribution and the right promotion it could be a hit."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29332542

This happy little tale was on local TV this evening:

Wildlife camera found by beach clean youngsters

A valuable camera lost by a diver from the Cornwall Wildlife Trust team has been returned thanks to children from St Mary's School in Penzance.
The youngsters were doing a beach clean when they discovered the underwater camera and used social media to reunite it with its owner, Cat Wilding.

The camera, worth £500, is used to capture life underwater for surveys.
Ms Wilding said she was "amazed" the camera had been found and said it was "key" to the trust's work.
She had been carrying out a sea-search survey near Mounts Bay in west Cornwall when the equipment went missing.
Ms Wilding said: "I thought I had secured it with the Velcro lid on my pocket but, by the time I reached the surface, the camera was lost.
"I had no expectation of ever seeing it again."

St Mary's teacher Daniel King said: "The children had picked up quite a few bags of rubbish by that time and one of the children picked up the camera.
"To switch it on and see the amazing wildlife was incredible."

The school put out a message on social media saying it had found the camera and within three hours Ms Wilding was in touch with the school.

She said: "I was just amazed. I couldn't believe it. But also this was while youngsters were doing a beach clean for marine conservation. It's just fantastic." :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-29408979

Win win win! :D

(The youngsters are primary school children.)

Archaeologists have found a burial vault beneath a floor they were preparing for restoration in a church in east Cork. The vault — believed to date from the 1700s — was discovered in the 900-year-old St Mary’s Collegiate Church in Youghal. During excavations, the archaeologists also found evidence of centuries-old heating systems.

The vault, 30cm beneath the surface, was unearthed by Daniel Noonan, who runs an archaeological consultancy agency, working with John Kelly of David Kelly Partnership. They were investigating the floor’s subsidence in a €60,000 restoration project funded by the Heritage Council of Ireland. The stone vault was crisscrossed by protective pine beams between it and the floor.

There was reportedly no obvious indication as to who was interred but such burial chambers “would be considered high standard monuments and so would suggest an individual or family of high status, such as the merchant class, was buried there”, Mr Noonan said. “The crypt will be unopened and remain in situ,” he added. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bu ... 89334.html

Crime writer Agatha Christies's lost diamonds to be auctioned

An Agatha Christie fan who bought a trunk from the novelist's estate only to discover it contained family jewels, is selling the diamonds at auction.
Jennifer Grant bought the case, with a strongbox inside, in 2006 at a sale at the writer's former home in Devon.
It was not until four years later she forced open the box and found a diamond brooch and ring inside.
Now Mrs Grant, of Nutley, East Sussex, is auctioning the jewels at Bonhams which could fetch up to £13,000.

The travelling trunk, which belonged to Agatha Christie's mother, was part of a contents sale at the novelist's former estate, Greenway.
Mrs Grant bought it for £100 and when it arrived, she discovered a sealed metal strongbox inside which was bolted to the base of the trunk.
She said: "The strongbox made the trunk a great heavy thing, so it sat at the bottom of the stairs for years.
"I almost did not want to open it because then the mystery would be over.
"When friends came round we would tip the trunk from one side to the other and listen to hear if anything rattled
"If you were very quiet you could just about hear something sliding inside."

Four years after buying the trunk, Mrs Grant had builders in and wrenched open the box with a crowbar.
Inside she found a purse of gold coins, a diamond brooch and a three-stone diamond ring, items that are mentioned in Agatha Christie's biography as pieces earmarked for her and her sister Madge.
Mrs Grant said: "I had read Agatha Christie's biography and so I knew exactly what I was looking at.
"They matched the description exactly, I was nearly hyperventilating."

Now the jewels are to go under the hammer at Bonhams in Knightsbridge with the brooch offered at between £6,000 and £8,000 and the ring offered at between £3,000 and £5,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29508573

rynner2 said:
Crime writer Agatha Christies's lost diamonds to be auctioned

An Agatha Christie fan who bought a trunk from the novelist's estate only to discover it contained family jewels, is selling the diamonds at auction.
Jennifer Grant bought the case, with a strongbox inside, in 2006 at a sale at the writer's former home in Devon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29508573
Agatha Christie jewels found in trunk fetch £49k

Jewels belonging to crime writer Agatha Christie, which were discovered locked in a trunk bought for £100, have fetched £49,375 at auction.
The diamond brooch and ring were found in a strongbox in the trunk in 2006 after it was bought at a contents sale at the writer's former estate in Devon.
Jennifer Grant, of Nutley, East Sussex, wrenched open the box - bolted inside the trunk, four years after buying it.

They were expected to fetch £15,000 at Bonhams but went for £49,375.
The buckle brooch went for £27,500 and the ring £21,875.

Inside the box was a purse containing gold coins as well as the diamond brooch and ring Julian Roup, from Bonhams, said: "The client is delighted as the results are four times over the pre-sale estimate.
"No mystery here - the Agatha Christie name still has great interest for many people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29537814

Jack Russell finds widow's 50-year-old engagement ring
By North Devon Journal | Posted: October 15, 2014

A JACK Russell has sniffed out a 50-year-old engagement ring after the owner lost it in her Devon home.
Russell the dog found Daisy Parker’s engagement ring in her living room after it had been missing for several months.

Daisy, 84, from Stoke was devastated when she lost the ring her late husband had bought her.
She offered a £50 reward for anyone who could help her find the semi-precious peridot August birthstone ring.

Two months later Russell and his owner visited Daisy when the pet pooch started causing trouble.
Daisy said: “We were sat there having a chat and Russell started scrabbling about in the corner.
“He knocked over a plant and a pile of music but kept sniffing around.
“When we went over to sort it out – there was the ring. :D

“I’ve turned the house upside down looking for the ring and my son and daughter-in-law had turned that corner out looking for it. I think we’ve got a little treasure hunter here.”
Daisy made sure that Russell got a reward for his hard work.
She said: “I gave him the £50 award like I said I would – I’ve said he has to have steak every night.”

The ring was given to Daisy by her late husband Derek Parker who died earlier this year.
The ring was used as a belated engagement ring 16 years after the couple’s wedding, because when Derek proposed he could not afford to buy one. The couple would have been married for 66 years in November.

The pair have three children, seven grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Jack ... story.html

My much-missed Jack Russell, Fred, came from North Devon. In fact the breed was developed by the North Devon parson, Reverend John ("Jack") Russell. All JRTs are thus related, but North Devon ones even more so! 8)

Missing dog Jasper found
Border collie who went missing on England's highest peak on Sunday has been reunited with its owner, following internet campaign
By Telegraph reporter
9:31AM GMT 06 Nov 2014

Jasper, the border collie who sparked a huge internet campaign after he went missing on England's highest peak, has been found safe and well.

The dog, who was last seen by owner Adam Nolan as he climbed Cam Spout Crag below Scafell Pike in the Lake District on Sunday, was discovered by a search party on Thursday morning, according to the 'Find Jasper' Twitter feed.
It said: "We can confirm Jasper has been found and now on his way home with Adam Thank You everyone, such fantastic news pls #RT".

Mr Nolan, 31, posted on Facebook a picture of the moment he was reunited with Jasper by Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, who found him on Cam Spout.
He posted a statement, which said: "I'm over the moon to announce the safe return of my best friend Jasper.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... found.html

Poet Dylan Thomas lost notebook set for £100k auction sale

A previously unknown notebook by Dylan Thomas containing 49 hand written poems is expected to sell for more than £100,000 at auction next month.
The book was left at the Hampshire home of his mother-in-law Yvonne Macnamara in the 1930s.
It is by luck it survived as a member of her household staff, Louie King, was apparently asked to burn it - but he kept it safe.
The book stayed in the King family and was forgotten until decades later.
It is due to be auctioned by Sotheby's London in December with a price tag of between £100,000-£150,000.

Doctor Gabriel Heaton, a specialist in English manuscripts at Sotheby's said the hand-written revisions made to the poems give a "unique insight" into how the poet worked.
He said: "This is the most significant Dylan Thomas manuscript to appear since the poet's death.
"It is a tremendously significant addition to the Thomas' manuscripts we have. It's a very important discovery.

"This is a unique opportunity to acquire something that is a physical manifestation of Dylan's poetic imagination.
"You can see him changing his mind, rethinking and refining his imagery.
"There's never been anything like it on the market and it's unlikely there will ever again."

The auction will also include a letter written by Thomas to a friend while staying at the home of his mother-in-law in which he explains his feelings towards her.
He writes: "...This flat English country levels the intelligence, planes down the imagination, narrows the a's, my ears belch up old wax and misremembered passages of misunderstood music,
"I sit and hate my mother-in-law, glowering at her from corners and grumbling about her in the sad, sticky, quiet of the lavatory..." 8)

Yvonne Macnamara is said to have given Thomas's exercise book to Mr King, who died about 40 years ago, with instructions to incinerate it in the kitchen boiler.
However, a note attached to the cover says: "This Book of Poetry by Dylan Thomas was with a lot of papers given to me to burn in the kitchen boiler.
"I saved it and forgot all about it until I read of his death..."

It is thought the notebook was started before 20 July 1934 and completed by August 1935 when the Swansea-born poet had established himself in the literary world .
It also marked the period of his move to London.

The auctioneers said notable poems from the book include the only known manuscripts for Thomas's sonnet sequence, Altarwise by Owl-Light, complete with revisions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30039135

RING IN

A former director at a Tennessee credit union has his wedding ring back, 25 years after he lost it. The Chattanooga Times Free Press reports Bowater Employees Credit Union executive Ginger Carter found the ring when she was jokingly rummaging between chair cushions in one of the offices.

Because the band bore two sets of initials and a wedding date, she determined the ring likely belonged to Bob Lee. Lee said he thought he had lost the band at a mill where he worked. He had gotten a replacement band years ago.

Lee joked that the credit union in Calhoun needs a new cleaning person.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 98250.html

A cat lover has been reunited with his pet after he went missing 10 years ago.

David Allinson, from Henlow, Bedfordshire, ‘discovered that Percy was missing in June 2003. He set about looking for his furry friend, distributing thousands of leaflets and putting an advert in the local paper.

Percy, a shorthaired cat now aged 15, had moved 24km down the road to Cockayne Hatley, where he found another home with an elderly lady and was later taken in by her neighbour after her death. Unbeknown to them both, Percy’s new owner was one of David’s colleagues, Ruth Hart, who revealed the mystery after having Percy scanned for a microchip.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 98904.html

French authorities have found a mysterious stone sculpture at the bottom of the River Seine, which may have been there for centuries. Water police pulled the 60cm by 90cm sculpture of a human figure with wavy hair from the depths of the river beneath Paris’s oldest standing bridge, the Pont Neuf.

Experts have not yet identified its age or origin, but believe it could be a stone relief that fell from the original bridge.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo ... 99464.html

A man has been reunited with a boat that got swept away in the 2011 tsunami and found three years later on an atoll 1,200km southwest of Hawaii. Tomomune Matsunaga, of Fukushima, lost his home and boat to the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami that killed 16,000 people.

Hawaii volunteer Danielle Lampe was conducting a survey for the US fish and wildlife service on Johnston Atoll when she found Matsunaga’s boat in May, said the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

A student training vessel carried the watercraft from Honolulu to Japan, and Matsunaga got it back on November 10, his birthday. Matsunaga said the vessel brings back memories of working on it and of his children playing on it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/mast ... 99561.html

A 1920 wedding ring which got dropped down a church toilet in southern Oregon has finally been found by sewer workers.

Pat Hanson said the ring, which belonged to her mother, fell off her finger as she has lost weight recently due to a fall.

Rogue Valley Sewer Services sent out four workers and used CCTV cameras to inspect the pipes and eventually one of them spotted the ring. It has now been cleaned, repaired — and resized.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 99784.html

Maybe this should go in the conwo/men thread.

Aer Lingus is being sued in the US for $1 million by a passenger who says her invaluable engagement ring and priceless photographs were stolen from her baggage.

Sade Coppens was a passenger on a New York to Dublin flight in July of this year when her carry-on bag was considered too big to bring on board and was taken from her at the gate.

Her final destination was Amsterdam and when she arrived there her bag and a baby buggy were missing.

Ten days later both were returned, but her engagement ring, a two-carat diamond white-gold one had been stolen as well as over $10,000 in photographic equipment and a Chanel bag was also missing.

Coppens, a mother of three and a floral designer, has filed for “emotional trauma and distress” in a New York court.She said Aer Lingus only offered her $1,682 in compensation. Coppens, a Brooklyn resident, told the Irish Independent the items stolen were invaluable to her.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 99963.html

A false leg, a set of mountain bikes, and a giant crab are among items left behind on buses.

The 10-legged crab was taken on board by a Chinese couple who could not speak English, the UK’s National Express said. They had bought a child’s ticket for the crab which was found on a Coventry to Inverness service. As there were no seaside stops on the route, a special coach was chartered to drop the crab off at the end of Blackpool Pier on the advice of marine biologists.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 00268.html

The University of Texas at Austin has lost 100+ preserved human brains, and god luck getting them back.

The brains included that of mass murderer Charles Whitman(Texas Tower sniper)

It seems the brains were abstracted sometime in the past 30 years.

Or maybe, misplaced?

Hmmmmm, you say this one is Abbey Normal?

Report from Yahoo News.

A cat which was missing for more than a decade has been reunited with its owner. Jemma Lough's pet Toby vanished from her former home in Braintree, Essex, in 2002. He was found less than two miles from the property in September.

He was thought to be a stray, but when a vet scanned his microchip his owner's contact details were revealed.

"It was a bit of a shock, I couldn't believe the phone call. I've never had anything like it," said Mrs Lough. ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30307098

Rotisserie chicken, bacon, dog toys, more than a dozen volunteers, and even a psychic have not been enough to find Murphy, an elusive golden retriever whose owner’s five-month search for her beloved pet has captivated one mountainous area of Vermont. Neighbours have pulled together to try to find three-year-old Murphy since he was spooked by a car crash and ran off onJune 29, going door-to-door with posters, looking for tracks, and setting out food and traps.

He’s been spotted numerous times, in backyards and on trail cameras in Waterbury Center, about 13km from the crash. But any time someone gets close, the cagey canine darts off. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/...s-to-conjure-up-elusive-retriever-302175.html

Members of punk band Stereo Fire Empire have found and returned a $250,000 (£166,000) painting hours after it was stolen from a New Orleans gallery.

Bassist Elliot Newkirk and his bandmates had just finished a show at the House of Blues when they saw the artwork propped up against a wall.

"Our guitar player was actually talking about how he saw on Facebook that a painting was stolen," Newkirk said. "Literally five minutes later" he found the canvas and "his jaw dropped".

The painting, entitled Wendy and Me, was by beloved New Orleans artist George Rodrigue.

It was stolen in broad daylight from New Orleans' George Rodrigue Studios at 15:00 on Tuesday, 6 January. A thief walked into the gallery, lifted the picture from the wall and left. The entire incident lasted less than a minute, and was captured on security cameras. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30726270

16 January 2015 Last updated at 17:00
Rifle from 1882 found leaning on tree in Nevada park

_80323072_80323071.jpg

Archaeologists have found a 132-year-old rifle propped against a tree in Nevada's Great Basin National Park.
It is unclear exactly how long the Winchester rifle had been left there, but it was long enough to leave the stock cracked and buried in dirt.
"It really is a mystery," said Nichole Andler, a spokeswoman for the park.

The Winchester rifle was common at the turn of the 20th century in the US West during a time when the now parklands were used for mining and ranching.
More than 700,000 rifles were made by the firm between 1873 and 1916.
Records for the gun show it was manufactured and shipped in 1882, but park experts have not yet been able to track its use since then.

"It probably has a very good and interesting story," Ms Andler told the Washington Post.
"But it probably is a story that could have happened to almost anyone living this sort of extraordinary existence out here in the Great Basin Desert".

The park is located in the eastern part of Nevada, and and is known for its caves and 5,000-year-old pine trees.
Ms Andler said the gun might have been overlooked in the past because the grey stock of the wood blended in with the tree.
The gun will be preserved in its current state and put on display at the park.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30855782

Extraordinary! It looks like an old stick, so could easily be missed.

Back