• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Post #296 above concerns a Swedish woman's lost ring found on a carrot that had grown through it:

Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years
A Swedish woman has discovered her wedding ring on a carrot growing in her garden, 16 years after she lost it, says a newspaper.
... It was not until 16 years later when Mrs Paahlsson was pulling up carrots in her garden that she noticed one with the gold band fastened tightly around it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

... And now it's happened again in Alberta (Canada):

Woman finds long-lost diamond ring on carrot in garden
A Canadian woman got an extra carrot with her diamond ring when it was found in her vegetable patch 13 years after she lost it.
Mary Grams, 84, was devastated when she lost the ring while weeding on the family farm in Alberta in 2004.
But she had kept the ring's loss a secret from all but her son for more than a decade.
On Monday, her daughter-in-law discovered the secret - and the ring - when she pulled up a lumpy carrot.
The carrot had grown straight through the ring, enabling it to be plucked out after many years hiding in the dirt. ...

FULL STORY (WITH PHOTO): http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40956139

Lost WW2 warship USS Indianapolis found after 72 years

The warship was discovered 18,000 feet (5.5km) beneath the surface.

The Indianapolis was destroyed returning from its secret mission to deliver parts for the atomic bomb which was later used on Hiroshima.

Of the 1,196 men on board, just 316 were rescued - the largest loss of life at sea in the history of the US Navy.

I read about this in the Times today. The truly scary bit was when the shipwrecked survivors, trying to stay afloat amidst the wreckage, saw sharks circling and picking off first the dead and then the living sailors. The witness says the sharks would 'bump' men as they swam past. How absolutely horrific.

At least this was no Foss Lake scenario (i.e., no corpse(s) found in the sunken car) ...

BACK FROM WATERY GRAVE: CAR STOLEN IN 1979 IN FRANCE
It's the car coming back from a watery grave.

A blue Peugeot 104 stolen in the heart of France's Champagne country in 1979 is being reunited with its owner - 38 years later - after French police pulled it, in surprisingly good shape but crawling with crayfish, from a murky swamp. ...

FULL STORY: hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_SWAMP_CAR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-09-01-11-53-40
Link is dead. The UPI version of the 2017 news article can be accessed at:
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/0...ered-from-swamp-38-years-later/8881504619844/

Last edited:
A great cultural loss. Sadly we know why some of the paintings disappeared: After her father's death in 1964, her mother decided to clear out the shed at the family's Bethnal Green flat. Most of her father's paintings from the 1920s, 30s and 40s were burnt.

The famed painters who vanished into obscurity
  • _97985216_f639e729-3f99-4ef4-be35-4b25c9249aba.jpg
    Image copyrightARTISTS' ESTATE
Image captionElwin Hawthorne, Phyllis Bray, John Cooper, Brynhild Pavler had no formal art school training but were encouraged by an inspirational teacher
Two exhibitions open this month devoted to a group of working class artists from the East End of London who became art world celebrities in the late 1920s and 1930s - only to be forgotten after World War Two.

They were known as the East London Group, and among their ranks were humble office clerks, a navvy, a window cleaner, a shop assistant, a printer, a basket-weaver and an errand boy.

Now they're being rediscovered, with one exhibition devoted to their work in Southampton, and another, curated by the children's author Michael Rosen, on their home turf of Bow in East London.

_97985217_104c9f6f-36c2-4017-a993-39d2871af9f0.jpg
Image copyrightARTIST'S ESTATE
Image captionElwin Hawthorne was able to depict the North Foreland Lighthouse for Shell once he and the Steggle brothers began to travel around the country
Though they had no formal art school training, the paintings they produced were highly sophisticated.

Encouraged by an inspirational teacher, John Cooper, at evening classes in Mile End and Bow, they painted what they saw around them in London's industrial, poverty-stricken East End, finding the extraordinary in the everyday ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41308226

Stolen wallet - what stolen wallet? - is found after nearly 50 years

A thief stole Dennis Helmer’s wallet almost half a century ago.

But he didn’t discover it was even missing until Friday – when someone gave it back.

In one of those only-in-South Jersey tales, Helmer, 78, a former Marine Corps reservist retired from a marketing job at GlaxoSmithKline, got a call from a guy who said he’d found Helmer’s wallet.
“What wallet?” Helmer, who lives in Westmont, asked the fellow, Don Williams of Bellmawr.

Nothing was missing from Helmer’s life. Mary Ann, 77, his wife of 54 years, was fine, as were the couple’s three grown kids. All was well.

Ever the wise Marine, Helmer grew suspicious, thinking Williams was a scam artist. He was about to hang up when Williams began listing what he’d found in the wallet, which turned out to be a remarkably well-preserved, brown leather time capsule of Helmer’s life so many years ago.

In it, there were:

• His 1957 Selective Service card.

• A St. Christopher medal.

• A receipt for payment for his first semester at Drexel University in 1956 (a mere $168, by the way — maybe the craziest single fact in this story).

• Several photographs of girls, as well as a snapshot of Helmer at his Camden Catholic High School prom with his date – not Mary Ann, as it happens.

Helmer realized the whole thing was on the level, and Williams drove the four or so miles to Helmer’s house along with his wife, Stacey, to present the wallet.

So, how did all this happen?

It turns out the Williamses had had a fire, and in refurbishing their house, a contractor had found the wallet in a ceiling, along with some books and a newspaper from 1945, Helmer said.

Don Williams saw Helmer’s name in the wallet, looked him up on the web, and made contact.

But when had the wallet gone missing to begin with?

The Helmers did some noodling and finally figured it out.

In May 1970, when Helmer was 31, he and Mary Ann had attended an anniversary party for Helmer’s parents at his sister’s house in Westmont. During the fete, a burglar had broken into the parents’ house — Helmer’s childhood home — a mile away and snatched some jewelry. Evidently, the sneak then scuttled into Helmer’s room and grabbed his old wallet from high school.

Mary Ann Helmer was left with two unanswered questions: “Why would the thief stick the wallet into the ceiling of a house?” And, she added with a laugh: “Why were there so many pictures of girls in my husband’s wallet?”

Helmer fessed up. “These were girls I dated before I met my wife,” he said. “It brought back a lot of pleasant memories.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/stolen-wallet-westmont-helmer-20170930.html

"“Fred Trump[f] opened a brothel in Whitehorse, the Arctic Hotel and Restaurant.
This was the origins of Donald Trump’s Family Fortune.”

"Dawson City: Frozen Time
also tells the story of the town’s movie theaters, which remained busy even after the rush died down — never was there a more captive audience. But the nitrate film ignited so easily that theaters burned down even more frequently than other buildings. The amazing story of the silent nitrate treasure trove came about through a strange series of events. In the ‘teens and ‘twenties, Dawson was the end of the line for the film distribution network. Film prints arrived there long after they’d played out elsewhere, often two or three years after release. No longer considered of value, and too expensive to ship back, they were usually ordered destroyed. But tons of films in their shipping cans were instead stored in a library building abandoned because of a partial fire. Later on in the 1920s, an ice skating rink was rebuilt to remove a swimming pool underneath, which had caused a bulge in the ice surface. The locals solved two problems at the same time — they filled in much of the pool excavation by carting the tons of abandoned films across the street and throwing them in the hole. There they stayed, eventually forgotten, until the backhoe unearthed them in 1978."

From a review of the film by Cine-Savant Glenn Erickson. :wide:

Good luck
The best thing you can find is a poe shop with exalted orbs for sale. I found such a shop, I'm happy with it, I found there what I was looking for. Basically they are the only cheap exalted orbs, with such fast delivery. Exalted Orbs? You have not seen such pretty exalted orbs yet
https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile

Last edited:
Somebody misplaced their big tuna in New England ... :fish:

Fishy story: Headless 400-pound tuna found in woods
Spotting a 400-pound tuna in the Massachusetts seaport of Gloucester, known as America’s oldest seaport, is not unusual. But finding a headless tuna in the woods is a bit odd.

State Environmental Police and federal fisheries regulators are trying to figure out who dumped the headless fish, which had to be hauled out of the trees by a tow truck.

Authorities won’t say exactly when the tuna was found or who tipped them off. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/1db1e3b059854ae0...story:-Headless-400-pound-tuna-found-in-woods

Non smokers will rightly consider this more of a curse than a blessing but I've just found half a packet of rolling tobacco .. so nearly ten quids worth!, it was on the floor outside the primary school so I wasn't keen on going through the security gates etc to start wandering around asking if anyone had lost it lest I get on someone's nonce radar or something .. Brucey Bonus ! :)

I once dropped a tin of tobacco on the carpet at a biker friend’s house, so I swept it up as best as I could and never mentioned it to him.
But I had to chuck it out because it now had toenail clippings and pubes mixed in with it.

So pubes and toenail clippings were less savoury than pure tobacco? :rollingw:

At least ya hope that's what is in the packet

Last year I found a pack of ciggies at work, well, a box of 10 with about 6 left. I took it home as I know a few smokers and it ended up rattling round in my car's glove box for a couple of weeks.

Eventually someone spotted it and I handed it over and forgot about it.

A while later the person told me that he'd shared the pack with a friend, who'd found a lump of weed in it!

They'd had a nice smoke together and toasted my good name in pungent fumes.

I once dropped a tin of tobacco on the carpet at a biker friend’s house, so I swept it up as best as I could and never mentioned it to him.
But I had to chuck it out because it now had toenail clippings and pubes mixed in with it.

Back when I smoked and went to parties there was of course the morning after - when rollies were made out of whatever you could find unsmoked in ashtrays. That woke you up in time to get to the pub for lunchtime...

And then there was the time the coke got spilled on the carpet.

The fun we had :)

Back