• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

A turnip for the books.

A gold ring that was lost in a vegetable garden 12 years ago has been found on a carrot dug up for dinner.

Lin Keitch, 69, from Monkton Heathfield near Taunton, Somerset, noticed it while washing her home-grown vegetables.

It had been a 40th birthday present from her husband Dave, and was lost by their daughter.

The couple believe the carrot grew through the ring. Ms Keitch said it was a "chance in a million" discovery.

"Dave dug up the carrots and left them outside the back door," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-45220825#

Block of Berlin Wall emerges from central city undergrowth

A previously hidden section of the Berlin Wall has been discovered in the heart of the German capital.

The 20-metre piece lay undisturbed for almost 30 years, obscured by vines and graffiti in a quiet side street in the Mitte district.

This June the unremarkable block of concrete was spotted by a keen-eyed group of locals who suspected it for what it really was: a piece of the Berlin Wall, the barrier that divided the city for 28 years.

“It’s odd to think you can still find a bit of undiscovered Wall in the middle of Berlin,” said the city councillor for urban development Ephraim Gothe, who found the section while leading a monthly neighbourhood walk.

3369.jpg

Lost WWII plane finally due in UK
An American fighter plane will be arriving in Britain from the United States next week - 65 years after taking off.
The P38 Lightning was one of eight aircraft forced to land in Greenland after encountering bad weather while en route to the UK in July 1942.

The planes became buried under 300ft of ice but 15 years ago the remains of one, renamed Glacier Girl, were dug up.

"Sixty five years ago this July, six American P38 fighter planes and two B17 bombers took off from the east coast of the United States to make the long journey to Britain and so on to Germany.

"These aircraft made up one small part of Operation Bolero, the historically important build-up of allied aircraft in Britain championed by President Roosevelt.

"Already well into their journey, the eight aircraft encountered atrocious weather conditions over Greenland and, with fuel running low, the crews had no choice but to attempt a difficult landing directly on to the snow and ice of Greenland's glaciers.

"Miraculously, all 25 crew members survived the landings and, after a few cold days awaiting rescue, were returned safely back to the States." ...

The search project continues ...

A second P-38 from the 'Lost Squadron' has been located - this time in a more expeditious manner involving a drone ...

'Lost Squadron' WWII Warplane Discovered Deep Beneath a Greenland Glacier
Searchers have located the wreck of a P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft buried deep within a glacier in Greenland, more than 70 years after a lost squadron of U.S. warplanes crash-landed on the ice there during World War II.

The search team plans to dig and melt the rediscovered warplane out of the glacier next summer — and the searchers hope that their techniques can locate other World War II air wrecks in the region, including some that carried MIA (missing in action) U.S. airmen. ...

The rediscovered fighter has been identified from its crash site as P-38 "Echo", piloted by Army Air Corps Lt. Col. Robert Wilson.

Wilson and the other airmen from the lost squadron warplanes were rescued from the ice, but other U.S. servicemen whose planes crashed in the same area were not so fortunate.

"It's Greenland's 'Bermuda Triangle' … the weather there shifts in a matter of minutes," ... "As a pilot, you can clearly understand why there were so many difficulties in that area."

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/63423-lost-squadron-unearthed-greenland-glacier.html

The Other Side of the Wind has finally been unleashed in Venice!

Orson Welles' last feature has been dangled so many times over the last twenty years and then withheld that its public unveiling can only be an anti-climax. As this reconstruction uses only a fraction of the footage shot, the arguments may continue for some time. Will there be a Bluray with the outtakes as Extras? That might be its ideal destination!

How many screens are ever likely to show it in the present climate? :dunno:

It's been funded by Netflix, in an attempt to look more cineaste-friendly rather than the supplier of endless chewing gum for the eyeballs for bingewatchers, so that platform will be its destination. Their stuff sometimes makes it to disc, so you never know.

Stolen status of a raptor (of the dinosaur persuasion) found ...

Police find stolen raptor sculpture two years later
Australian police executing a search warrant in a drug investigation ended up recovering a dinosaur statue stolen two years earlier.

The Queensland Police Service said investigators in Albany Creek searched the property and discovered marijuana, steroids, various controlled substances, drug paraphernalia and a fiverglass raptor sculpture.

The sculpture was found to have been stolen in 2016 from the Hill Veterinary Surgery in Eaton.

"The dinosaur will not face any charges and has been returned to its rightful owner," police said.

Two men were arrested during the raid.

Allan O'Grady of Hill Veterinary Surgery said the raptor was badly damaged and will need some repairs before it can be returned to its perch atop the practice's sign.

"She's in a sorry state as when they stole her they broke the feet and the toes," O'Grady told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...sculpture-two-years-later/8091537379154/?sl=8

Eight year old girl finds a 1,500 year old sword in Swedish lake by stepping on it. No tetanus shot required ...

Girl, 8, pulls a 1,500-year-old sword from a lake in Sweden
An eight-year-old found a pre-Viking-era sword while swimming in a lake in Sweden during the summer.

Saga Vanecek found the relic in the Vidöstern lake while at her family's holiday home in Jönköping County.

The sword was initially reported to be 1,000 years old, but experts at the local museum now believe it may date to around 1,500 years ago.

"It's not every day that you step on a sword in the lake!" Mikael Nordström from the museum said.

The level of the water was extremely low at the time, owing to a drought, which is probably why Saga uncovered the ancient weapon.

"I felt something in the water and lifted it up. Then there was a handle and I went to tell my dad that it looked like a sword," Saga told the Sveriges Radio broadcaster.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45753455

She's got the right name for it, though she should really have stayed underwater and waited to proffer it to a worthy knight!

Girls today! :sstorm:

She's got the right name for it, though she should really have stayed underwater and waited to proffer it to a worthy knight!

Girls today! :sstorm:
I think we'll never hear the end of this little Saga, says I sagaciously.

When she's older she can take it on holiday.

Victorian Films in Imax Recreation.

Anyone who enjoys, say, the detail in Shorpy's prints from old camera plates should not be too surprised to learn that large-format moving pictures were a thing before the triumph of 35mm as standard. Now the technology is available to scan surviving materials at 8K and project them on the Imax screen. These one-minute glimpses of a lost world boast of amazing detail and depth-of-field. :yay:

I'd find this happy ending more enjoyable if they'd bothered to explain where the missing wallet had been hidden during its 4-year MIA interval ...
Wallet lost on roller coaster turns up four years later
A Pennsylvania man said he received an unexpected call from Hersheypark saying workers found the wallet he lost on a roller coaster four years ago.

Jon Anson said his wallet became a family joke after falling out of his pocket on the Skyrush roller coaster at the theme park in Hershey. ...

"It has become our running family joke," Jen Anson told WHTM-TV. "We don't go to Hersheypark and don't mention the missing wallet."

The couple said they were shocked when park officials called them recently to say a maintenance crew had found the wallet.

The family said the wallet still had all of its contents intact, but was a bit the worse for wear. ...

Jon Anson said the wallet still contained all of his credit cards and other items, including a book store gift card with a remaining $25 balance and a Starbucks gift card with $0.87 left on it.

"It restores your faith in humanity a little bit that things will be found...that people will turn something in and someone will follow through with their job and call you," Jen Anson said. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/1...ster-turns-up-four-years-later/7791543944060/

Sometimes the missing object is finally recovered with more than it had when lost ...
Lost wallet returned with an extra $40
A South Dakota man who lost his wallet on a flight to Las Vegas said the missing object was returned to him with a note and a bonus $40.

Hunter Shamatt said his wallet had $60 cash inside it, as well as a check for about $400, when he lost it on an Omaha-Denver Frontier Airlines flight he was taking en route to ... Las Vegas.

He said the wallet's contents were boosted when it arrived in the mail about a week later with a letter.

"Hunter, found this on the Frontier flight from Omaha to Denver -- row 12 seat F, wedged between the seat and the wall," the note read. "Thought you might want it back."

"I rounded your cash up to an even $100 so you could celebrate having your wallet back. Have fun," the finder wrote.

Shamatt's mother, Jeannie, posted about the incident on Facebook, and the post eventually helped the family find ... the mystery man who returned the wallet.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/11/26/Lost-wallet-returned-with-an-extra-40/9061543246783/

Sounds like someone who felt guilty about nicking the wallet...?

When I was in junior school we had a class day out to the beach (mid 1970's).

Bear in mind that I was somewhere between six and nine so I can only give you my impression of what I saw, to the best of my recollection. I can't give any more detail other than what follows.

Amongst the rocks I found a stick with a head. Memory says it was a jester's head but - given my young age - that might be a confusion with TV series Rentaghost. I am fairly convinced it was a jester though.

The stick was black, wooden and didn't seem like a toy. It felt almost like unburnt charcoal. I guess it was maybe 18 inches long and a single piece.

I took it home and my Mother said it was grubby and made me throw it away.

If it was a jester's head, anyone any idea what it might have been?

Cute but imagine it all black, wooden a bit like charcoal and not like a toy. Along the right lines though.

(ABOVE).

Hi.

Probably badly explained. I should say charcoal-like but without the coal-dust I might expect. Can't have been burnt wood as the features were intact

Adrift for more than eight years.

Yacht spotted near Kangaroo Island off South Australian coast after being abandoned by 16-year-old sailor Abby Sunderland in 2010

Eight and a half years after it was abandoned in the middle of the Indian Ocean when 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland had to be rescued in rough seas, a yellow yacht named Wild Eyes has been found floating upside down off the coast of South Australia.

The 40-foot yacht was encrusted with barnacles, the signature eyes on the hull scratched and faded. Its mast snapped off in the wild weather that forced Sunderland’s rescue midway through her world record attempt to be the youngest solo sailor to circumnavigate the globe in 2010.

Sunderland, who said she saw the footage of the rediscovered yacht on the news, said she was “very emotional”.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__010319

It seems this cat decided to spend the winter in a warmer climate ...
Missing Michigan cat found 2 months later in Florida
A cat who went missing from suburban Detroit for two months turned up more than 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) away in Florida.

Dearborn resident Judy Sanborn was shocked when she received a call in December from BluePearl pet hospital in Tampa ... Staff told her they had her 2 1/2-year-old tabby named Bandit.

Staff told Sanborn that a local resident had found the cat, who’d been identified through his microchip. ...

It’s unclear how Bandit made the cross-country trek. Sanborn guesses he hitched a ride on a moving vehicle or was found by someone in Michigan on their way to Florida. Sanborn joked that she hopes Bandit isn’t disappointed to go from sunny Florida to Michigan’s cold.

Bandit is set to catch a return flight to Michigan this week. ...
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/4f46452386ad4b1a8ef8c27070854dc8

Then Lost Again..

Beach disappears, reappears, then disappears again.

A beach which disappeared from Achill Island, Co Mayo in a storm in 1984, then reappeared 33 years later after another storm in 2017, disappears again after repeated storms since September.

Locals had braced for the beach’s departure and were hoping for a swift return, said the tourism manager. “It was great while we had it but there was an air of inevitability about it going. The sand is just out in the bay. With the right conditions it can come back.”

pics at link.

In case you're wondering where the Tudor dynasty originated, it may well have been in this bed discarded by a UK hotel.

It was a royal pain to invest the royal amount of effort into investigating and demonstrating this bed's royalty.
Bed Used in Hotel for 15 Years Turns Out to Be Henry VII’s Marriage Bed
An ornately carved oak bed that spent 15 years in the honeymoon suite of a hotel in Chester, in the United Kingdom, had a remarkable hidden history: Experts recently found that it is likely to be a long-lost royal marriage bed dating to the 15th century.

In it, the nuptial frolics of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York celebrated the end of the Wars of the Roses (during which King Richard III died) and birthed England's famed Tudor dynasty.

The bed's former identity came to light after it was retired from the hotel and discarded in a parking lot. It was rescued by an antiques dealer who listed it as "a profusely carved Victorian four poster bed with armorial shields," according to a description from a symposium about the bed's history, held on Jan. 21 at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

When Ian Coulson, a restorer and dealer of antique beds, purchased the bed online in 2010, he discovered that the wood was far older than the seller suspected. What's more, the bed's embellishments hinted at royal origins ...

Clues in the varnished wood and in the quality and content of the carvings suggested to Coulson that this was a royal bridal bed, and that it belonged to Henry VII ... While the claim initially seemed far-fetched, Coulson spent the next nine years accumulating evidence of the bed's lofty origins; he and other experts presented their findings at the symposium. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/64718-henry-vii-marriage-bed.html

Took a while to find.

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. — A purse containing a prom invitation, photos and other items from 1950s America will be returned to its now 82-year-old owner after workers found it while demolishing part of an Indiana high school.

Martha Everett lost the black stitched purse more than six decades ago. Workers found it in January behind science classroom cabinets in the old Jeffersonville High School, where Everett was a senior in 1955.

Greater Clark County Schools spokeswoman Erin Bojorquez says the district was able to track Everett "thanks to the power of social media" after one of her relatives saw a Facebook post about the purse . The district plans to mail the purse to Everett's home in Florida.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good...he-1950s-to-be-reunited-with-owner/ar-BBTvtPO

This find may be one of the earliest US Medals of Honor, presented by Abraham Lincoln ...

Florida house flippers find possible Civil War Medal of Honor
A Florida couple clearing out a house they bought made an unexpected discovery: a suspected U.S. military Medal of Honor from the Civil War.

Erin and Michael Kara said they bought the Orlando home with the intention of flipping it and they set about clearing out the belongings from the previous owner, who had died.

The couple said they opened a box and found what they believe to be a Medal of Honor dating from Abraham Lincoln's presidency.

The medal bears the name Mark Wood, and online records indicate a man by that name was one of the first-ever Medal of Honor recipients in the 1860s. ...

The couple said they are considering donating the medal to a museum.

"Just the uniqueness of it and, you know, after researching, I saw there was only, I think, 3,500 ever awarded, and Abraham Lincoln would have been the one to give this one out, so it's kind of a big deal," Erin Kara said.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...sible-Civil-War-Medal-of-Honor/2041551202061/

Took a while to find.

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. — A purse containing a prom invitation, photos and other items from 1950s America will be returned to its now 82-year-old owner after workers found it while demolishing part of an Indiana high school.

Martha Everett lost the black stitched purse more than six decades ago. Workers found it in January behind science classroom cabinets in the old Jeffersonville High School, where Everett was a senior in 1955.

Wonder how it ended up there? Either placed on top and fell down, in which case Ms Everett would have known at the time where she'd left it, or it's been dumped there as a prank or maliciously or after being stolen.

Back