• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Right, I'm ninety-five years old and never had fun in my life. Prepare for a proper mocking of Christ until the $6.5 million runs out!

That would be ten minutes, then. :thought:

Christ wins, again! :doh:

This lost doggie averaged 100 miles a year (headed away from home) before being discovered and returned to its owner.
Lost dog found 400 miles away four years after disappearance

A dog that went missing from a Northern California home was found four years later -- and more than 400 miles away.

The Riverside County Department of Animal Services said an 8-year-old German shepherd named Kimber was found wandering loose by a member of the public in Fontana.

Kimber's owner was identified as a man from Grass Valley, more than 400 miles away.

The man, who drove down to Fontana to pick up Kimber from the shelter, said he does not know how the dog managed to travel so far or where it has been for the past four years.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...years-after-disappearance/3181570641648/?sl=1

Here's another incredibly overdue library book item.

It was returned the year after the library stopped charging late fees. Luck? Coincidence? You decide!
California woman returns library book 74 years overdue

A California woman who was cleaning out her study found a library book her mother had checked out 74 years earlier -- and she returned it.

Berkeley Library workers said they were surprised Friday when Jean Durham brought in a copy of Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake that her mother had checked out in 1945.

"My mother did buy some books but mostly she came to the Berkeley Public Library. We were always surrounded by books," Durham told Berkeleyside.

Library officials said there was no fine, as the facility did away with late fees in 2018.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...ary-book-74-years-overdue/3141571688399/?sl=1

This painting's discovery is going to be a huge windfall for the elderly woman who'd had it hanging in her kitchen. ...

Update ...

The painting has been auctioned, and it brought circa 4 times as much as estimated ...
Masterpiece found in French woman’s kitchen sells for $26.6M

An old painting found in the kitchen of an elderly French woman, who considered it an icon of little importance, has made her a multimillionaire.

The work, a masterpiece attributed to the 13th-century Italian painter Cimabue that was discovered earlier this year, sold for 24 million euros ($26.6 million) Sunday.

Dominique Le Coent of Acteon Auction House, who sold the masterpiece to an anonymous buyer near Chantilly, north of Paris, said the sale represented a “world record for a primitive, or a pre-1500 work.”

“It’s a painting that was unique, splendid and monumental. Cimabue was the father of the Renaissance. But this sale goes beyond all our dreams,” Le Coent told The Associated Press.

An auctioneer spotted the painting in June while inspecting a woman’s house in Compiegne in northern France and suggested she bring it to experts for an evaluation. It hung on a wall between the kitchen and dining room.

The woman will now receive “the majority” of the sale money, the auction house said.

The expected sale price had been 4 million to 6 million euros ($4.4 million to $6.6 million).

Le Coent said experts were off the mark because it was the first time a Cimabue had ever gone under the hammer. “There’s never been a Cimabue painting on sale so there was no reference previously on how much it could make,” he explained. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/385dd0d2451c4cc897169d8723aff514

The Shaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre.

1965 technology which enabled the buyer to record 46 hours of radio etc. on a 4" wide tape. We get to gaze in wonder at the gubbins inside and Mr Techmoan speculates about the radio treasures which may be lurking inside these machines and otherwise unpreserved. :cooll:

That's quite a machine for 1965. I wonder what Peggy was up to in the Archers..

In the video he says the tape is 20 something minutes long but is 4" wide & has a lot of separate tracks - that's how it manages to record 46 hours. It didn't have fast forward so you'd have to listen from the start to locate your recording. If it got to the end of the tape while you were recording, it'd rewind to the start automatically so you'd miss a bit during the process. So all in all a bit clunky.

It didn't have fast forward so you'd have to listen from the start to locate your recording

You could listen from the start of each track and it used electronic markers to locate items - a feature I thought was new(ish) on my Aiwa machine from three decades later! The clunkiest aspect seems to have been the odd decision to make the tracks the length of an LP-side, instead of the 30-minutes required by a radio show. :buck:

This cat's mystery foray lasted 5 years and brought it 1200 miles away from home ...

Missing Oregon cat found 5 years later in New Mexico

An Oregon family's cat was found more than 1,200 miles away in New Mexico after disappearing five years earlier.

The Santa Fe Animal Shelter said black cat Sasha was identified via microchip after being found recently wandering the streets of the city.

The microchip revealed Sasha's family lived more than 1,200 miles away in Portland.

Viktor Usov, 31, said he was shocked to receive a call from the shelter telling him Sasha had been found.

"I couldn't believe it," Usov said. "We thought the worst, but when we received the call, we were so thankful Sasha was alive and well."

Usov said Sasha must have hitched a ride at some point after disappearing from the family's home five years earlier. ...

The shelter said the case highlights the importance of microchipping pets.

"A simple microchip, which is the size of a grain of rice and is implanted under the pet's skin, helped us find the guardian of this missing cat," said Murad Kirdar, the shelter's public relations manager.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...years-later-in-New-Mexico/1521574182308/?sl=3

NASA has finally located the final resting place of India's Vikram lunar lander, which "went dark" after separating from the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter to attempt a moon landing.
NASA Finally Discovers The Shattered Remnants of India's Lost Moon Lander

NASA announced Monday that it had finally found the crash site of India's lost lunar lander, Vikram. Images taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera show the lander's crash site about 600 km (372 miles) from the Moon's south pole, shown below, including an impact point and field of debris surrounding it. ...

Vikram was part of India's Chandrayaan-2 mission to send an orbiter, lander, and rover to the Moon's surface. Those ambitions were cut short when the Indian Space Research Organization lost touch with the lander as it was approaching the lunar surface on September 7 after being released by the orbiter.

Two and a half months after the agency lost contact, the ISRO finally admitted the lander crashed - a week before NASA discovered the lander's crash site.

The lander, with an orbiter and a rover called Pragyaan in tow, launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on July 15. The orbiter is currently in full operation.

The lander was set to make India only the fourth country after the US, the USSR, and China to softly land a manmade object on the Moon. ...
SOURCE (With Photos of the Crash Site): https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-finds-shattered-remnants-of-india-s-lost-moon-rover

Council chiefs are searching for the owner of a wedding ring that was left in a ballot box during the General Election in the UK.

The ring, described on the Trafford Council Twitter account as having “distinctive features”, was discovered in a ballot box from a local primary school.

“It was found in the Cloverlea Primary School ballot box, Hale Barns. If it’s yours please call Access Trafford on 0161 912 2000 so we can reunite you with it! There are distinctive features to the ring that the owner should be able to describe, so if you think it could be yours please #ring”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...f-wedding-ring-left-in-ballot-box-970267.html

Another high school class ring that went MIA for over four decades ...
Oregon woman's lost class ring returned 44 years later

A class ring lost by an Oregon woman in 1975 turned up more than 40 years later in a pile of dirt at a woman's home 34 miles away.

Lori Gregory said she had taken her ring off to wash her hands at Forest Grove High School when she was a senior in 1975 and she realized a short time later that she had left the item in the bathroom. She said it was gone by the time she returned for it.

That was the last time the ring's whereabouts were accounted for until fall 2018, when KC Curiel found it in the dirt while working in her garden in Newberg, 34 miles away from Forest Grove.

It wasn't until November 2019 that Curiel was able to match the name inscribed inside the ring, Lori Hitt, to the Forest Grove resident who changed her last name when she married in 1989. She was able to track down Gregory with help from Ancestry.com and The Oregonian newspaper. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...g-returned-44-years-later/5051576793323/?sl=1

I don't know if it's because I've been distracted but last week a small present and Christmas card for one of the Probus ladies who hasn't been well went missing. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it and had to do another lot.
Yesterday I wrote out 2 birthday cards for my oldest daughter and granddaughter and a congratulations card for good VCE marks for the younger granddaughter.
They all had money inside and the one for the younger has disappeared.
I have turned things upside down looking for it
I asked the fairies, St. Jude etc but no luck so had to just give her cash today.
Guess I was lucky as the perfume for my daughter appeared back on the chair that I had pulled everything off earlier when I was looking for it.

Update ...
The painting has been auctioned, and it brought circa 4 times as much as estimated ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/385dd0d2451c4cc897169d8723aff514

There's a new twist in this story. The French government is blocking delivery of the painting to the auction winner, claiming it's a "national treasure."
France blocks export of nearly $27M Cimabue masterpiece

France has blocked the export of a Renaissance masterpiece by Italian painter Cimabue found in an elderly woman's kitchen that sold for almost $27 million at auction earlier this year. ...

U.S.-based private collectors bought the work for $26.8 million at an auction in Paris in October, but this week the French state classified the painting as a "national treasure," and refused to give the artwork an export certificate.

With the designation, the French state has 30 months to attempt to find funding to acquire the picture itself. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...-27M-Cimabue-masterpiece/9201577219795/?sl=15

We recently changed our front door lock to a super-duper high-security model, for which new keys are expensive. So we only have the original three, of which I have two. I managed to lose them both over xmas and this morning at 05:30 had to go out through the back door/gate to retrieve my bike helmet and work coat from t'banger so I could cycle to work...

Anyway, I worried about the keys at work all day and ransacked the joint on my return. Eventually I confessed to Techy that I'd lost them and he said 'There's one right beside you on there!' - the sofa-end unit. Durrr.

So I went off to clip the key back on the ring with the others and walked past the hall table where the other key sat, mocking me.

Assuming it continues eastward to finally be reunited with its original owner, this high school class ring will have traveled around the world.
Wisconsin man's class ring turns up 40 years later in Australia

A Wisconsin man who lost his class ring while studying in Europe in 1977 said he was shocked to discover the ring was in the possession of an Australian woman more than 40 years later.

Kevin Kinney of Fox Point said he was traveling across Europe by train in 1977 when he noticed his Hayward High School class ring was missing.

"I left the compartment I was sitting in, was walking down the train and looked down at my hand. Oh my gosh, my ring's gone" ...

There was no sign of the lost ring until late November 2019, when he received an email from a woman in Australia.

The woman had posted a photo of Kinney's ring in a Class Rings Lost and Found group on Facebook, and an amateur sleuth had tracked down a Hayward High yearbook and suspected the "KK" inscription stood for Kevin Kinney.

The woman said her grandfather found the ring inside a pair of gloves he bought from a flea market in Athens, Greece, in the 1980s. ...

"Pretty big world, but it's pretty small too, isn't it?" Kinney said.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...-years-later-in-Australia/3911578339240/?sl=2

But watch out: A common cord-hoarder refrain is that there is a principle like Murphy’s Law governing their disposal. Immediately upon getting rid of cords, it goes, you are guaranteed to need one of them.

Admit It: You Have a Box of Cords You’ll Never, Ever Use Again
What’s this one for? Who knows! Electronic gadgets fade away but their cables live on forever at home.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/admit-...ull-never-ever-use-again-11578590154?mod=e2tw

what is a class ring?

It's a traditional commemorative ring available to graduates of high schools, service academies and universities, customized to depict the alma mater and the graduation year. Class rings are popular but optional (they're purchased rather than issued).

Most traditional class rings are bulky objects, but there's been an increasing amount of variation in styles and formats as time goes on.

They seem to have maintained their popularity. In 20th century American teen culture they were fairly important items. Only seniors had class rings. Exchanging and wearing / carrying each other's class rings was a popular way of representing "going steady" status among teen couples.

More often than not they end up in the back of a drawer as a memento.

We recently changed our front door lock to a super-duper high-security model, for which new keys are expensive. So we only have the original three, of which I have two. I managed to lose them both over xmas and this morning at 05:30 had to go out through the back door/gate to retrieve my bike helmet and work coat from t'banger so I could cycle to work...

Anyway, I worried about the keys at work all day and ransacked the joint on my return. Eventually I confessed to Techy that I'd lost them and he said 'There's one right beside you on there!' - the sofa-end unit. Durrr.

So I went off to clip the key back on the ring with the others and walked past the hall table where the other key sat, mocking me.
So, you don't keep a spare set of keys at the back of the pantry/bread box like some people do?

So, you don't keep a spare set of keys at the back of the pantry/bread box like some people do?
Nope, because the lock is the aforementioned super-duper high-security model so you only get three keys. We each keep one with our car keys and the third is a spare.

As I bike to work I use the back door and gate so I use those keys, and I leave them secure in my locker while I'm off doing my job.
However, I'd been taking the spare front door key to work because of the Situation and keeping it on me. If I needed to make a fast getaway I could leave the bike at work and run to the taxi rank for a cab home.

Keys, they're the bane of my life. I have a job today where I have to collect and replace one and I dread forgetting to take it back.

Nope, because the lock is the aforementioned super-duper high-security model so you only get three keys. We each keep one with our car keys and the third is a spare.

As I bike to work I use the back door and gate so I use those keys, and I leave them secure in my locker while I'm off doing my job.
However, I'd been taking the spare front door key to work because of the Situation and keeping it on me. If I needed to make a fast getaway I could leave the bike at work and run to the taxi rank for a cab home.

Keys, they're the bane of my life. I have a job today where I have to collect and replace one and I dread forgetting to take it back.
Almost better to lose your teeth/marbles than your keys!

Cremated human remains were lost when they were stolen along with a van, then further lost when apparently discarded by the van thieves.
Cremated human remains found in California after theft

A Southern California coastal cleanup crew ended nine months of anguish for a grieving family with the discovery of cremated remains of loved ones that had been in a van that was stolen before a funeral service.

The crew from the Los Cerritos Wetlands Stewards was rappelling down bluffs to pick up trash tossed over a sidewalk railing when they decided to look more closely at a weathered cardboard box.

“We could see a plastic bag inside, and ashes, and we knew they were remains,” John McGaffin told KNBC-TV for a story Thursday.

The box had the label of a Houston mortuary and a name, Anthony Sanchez. The crew found another container of ashes with the same label and another name, Damadis Sanchez.

Damadis Sanchez was 34 when she was killed along with her 8-year-old son, Anthony, in a traffic accident in Texas last year.

Her brother, Gerson Lopes, had the cremated remains returned to the family in El Monte, near Los Angeles. Last April, the family prepared for a memorial service, placing the two urns in a van they would be driving.

The van was stolen and the family had to hold the funerals without the remains of the deceased. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/16ecb0c09b889e8495a970cd53b59ca0

It's claimed the wreckage of Korean Air Flight 858 - downed by a terrorist bomb in 1987 - has been found in the ocean.
Report: Wreckage found likely bombed Korean Air flight

A South Korean television network says the wreckage of Korean Air Flight 858, which exploded midair on Nov. 29, 1987, may have been found in the Andaman Sea near Myanmar following a yearlong investigation.

MBC reported Thursday the plane carrying 115 passengers and crew, bombed by North Korean spy Kim Hyon-hui, was never recovered following the attack.

The wreckage was detected using a 3D sonar. The South Korean television crew focused on an area after local fishermen spoke of a "large object" located about 164 feet beneath the water's surface.

The crew was able to identify a 33 foot-long wing-shaped object in the shadows of the seabed. An object that appeared to be an engine was also found, according to the report.

The fuselage of a plane, measuring about 90 feet long, was nearby as well, MBC reported. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...-bombed-Korean-Air-flight/7141579792035/?sl=1

I'm not sure I've ever seen e weirder chain of events leading to recovering a lost dog ...
Woman sees missing dog on beer cans promoting shelter dogs

A Florida brewery that recently began placing shelter dogs’ faces on beer cans helped reunite a Minnesota woman with her dog, Hazel, who went missing three years ago.

Earlier this month, Motorworks Brewing in Bradenton teamed up with the Manatee County Animal Shelter to turn beer cans into adoption flyers for shelter dogs. Monica Mathis of St. Paul, Minnesota, told KSTP that she couldn’t believe it when she spotted Hazel’s face on a beer can that had been photographed and posted on social media. ...

Mathis saw the post and something about one dog’s eyes caught her attention.

“Oh my gosh that looks like my dog, I think that’s my dog,’” Mathis said. But the featured dog’s name was Day Day.

Mathis contacted the shelter, which needed proof that Day Day was in fact Hazel.

“I sent everything I could find — all the pictures so I could stop an adoption process from happening because I could’ve lost her again,” Mathis said.

Mathis said she was living in Iowa when Hazel disappeared in 2017.

“She was on a leash outside and I went to get her and she was gone from our yard,” Mathis said. She searched, called shelters, but never found the dog.

She said she has no idea how the dog got to Florida.

Then, a new job took her to Minnesota. Several years went by until she saw the beer can campaign on Jan. 24.

The shelter confirmed that Day Day is Hazel.

“I was amazed, I was crying. An emotional wreck,” Mathis said.

Mathis said animal services couldn’t immediately find her because the contact information on Hazel’s microchip was out of date. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/f48b9643614a219f1f26fce7aa053f21

Piece of missing sculpture resurfaces in antiques store 50 years later

Update ...

The Los Angeles library that originally hosted the Well of Scribes sculptures has now offered a $10,000 reward for information on the whereabouts of the two pieces still missing.
Los Angeles library offering $10,000 reward for long-lost sculpture pieces

A California library is offering a $10,000 reward for information about the whereabouts of two long-lost sections of a sculpture.

The Well of Scribes sculpture was installed in front of the Los Angeles Central Library in 1926, and went missing in 1969 when a parking lot was installed in its former home.

A piece of the sculpture turned up in 2019 in an Arizona antique store, but two sections of the sculpture remain missing.

The library said the pieces may have been melted down for their bronze, but the recovery of the piece in Arizona gave fresh hope that the other two might still be intact.

The library is partnering with Alta Magazine to offer the $10,000 reward for information about the current whereabouts of the lost pieces.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ong-lost-sculpture-pieces/4651580928062/?sl=6

More information (including rules and conditions for claiming the reward) can be found at the Alta magazine website:

https://altaonline.com/10000-reward-for-lost-well-of-the-scribes-sculpture/

Boy diving at a hot spring in Idaho finds a wedding ring lost almost half a century ago, and which is now reunited with its original owner ...
Boy, 7, diving at hot spring finds wedding ring lost in 1970s

The operators of a hot spring in Idaho said a 7-year-old boy diving for treasure found a wedding ring that was lost in the late 1970s.

The Trinity Hot Springs in Paradise said in a Facebook post that a 7-year-old guest named Theo was diving for hidden treasures at the bottom of the water when he came up with a diamond ring. ...

Trinity posted about the find on its official Facebook page, saying there were no wedding rings recently reported lost at the resort.

Sherrie McClure Lowery replied to the post, saying she had lost her wedding ring at Trinity in the late 1970s. She included a photo of the ring, which the resort confirmed was the same item found by Theo.

"That treasure was buried for over 40 years! So amazing!" Lowery wrote.

Trinity told Rebecca Bloom, Theo's mother, that the boy would be rewarded with a 1 Year Annual Membership for him and an adult.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...edding-ring-lost-in-1970s/8251581526741/?sl=6

Back