• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

Conscientious bus workers saved this woman from a major financial loss resulting from a "senior moment." Still, the owner might give more consideration to the admitted fact that others have been bugging her about her memory issues.
Makeup bag filled with cash found on public bus, returned to owner

A bus driver in Missouri was able to help reunite a makeup bag containing hundreds of dollars with the woman who accidentally left it aboard the vehicle.

Andrea Raglon, who drives a Ride KC bus for the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, said she was cleaning her vehicle when she found a makeup bag that nearly ended up being thrown into the trash. ...

"I was just going to throw it away and I said, Oh, this is heavy," Raglon told WDAF-TV. "I didn't count it at first. I saw a couple of $100 bills. I just put it back in the bag."

Raglon enlisted the help of KCATA Dispatch Supervisor Erica Porter to help return the bag to its owner. ...

An emergency medical contact card inside the bag gave them the owner's name, Faye Moss, and within hours they were able to find the woman's address. ...

Moss, 76, said she uses the bag as a wallet, and the cash inside had been intended for a mortgage payment.

"I didn't want to tell anybody because everybody's on me about my memory. I'm getting to the point where I don't remember things anymore," Moss said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...KC-bus-Faye-Moss-Andrea-Raglon/5661621451136/

Haste can indeed make waste - very big waste ...

This Massachusetts woman deliberately threw away her scratch-off lottery ticket without realizing it was a $1 million winner. The honest folks at the convenience store she frequents discovered the ticket's true value and gave it back to her.
Woman gets back $1M lottery ticket she had thrown away

A Massachusetts woman who accidentally tossed out a $1 million lottery ticket eventually collected her winnings thanks to the kindness and honesty of the owners of the store where she bought it.

Lea Rose Fiega bought the $30 Diamond Millions scratch-off ticket in March at the Lucky Stop convenience store in Southwick near were she works.

“I was in a hurry, on lunch break, and just scratched it real quick, and looked at it, and it didn’t look like a winner, so I handed it over to them to throw away,” she said Monday.

The ticket lay behind the counter for 10 days.

“One evening, I was going through the tickets from the trash and found out that she didn’t scratch the number,” Abhi Shah, the son of the store’s owners told WWLP-TV. “I scratched the number and it was $1 million underneath the ticket.”

Fiega is a regular customer, so the family knew immediately who had discarded it. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-fcb831940f4abd214232d4ff463f3597

A Tennessee man is reunited with the wedding ring he'd lost 55 years ago and had searched for during the intervening decades.
Wedding ring lost in Tennessee yard found 55 years later

A man who lost his wedding ring in his parents' Tennessee back yard was reunited with the precious item nearly 55 years later when it was found by the home's current owner.

Ransom Jones said he cleaning up after a woodworking project at his parents' Murfreesboro home more than five decades ago when the wedding ring that had been on his finger for only a short time flew off. ...

Jones said he and his family searched for the ring for years, and he and his wife, Wren Jones, often sent their kids into the yard to hunt for it.

"When the kids came along, they grew up looking for my ring. My son, who is now 51, thought it was all a spoof to keep them busy," Jones said.

Jones sold the house to Doug and Samantha Cook in 2006. During his final walk-through with Doug Cook, he told the man about the lost ring. ...

Cook said he took up treasure hunting with a metal detector when the COVID-19 pandemic left him with an abundance of spare time.

Cook said he was scanning his yard in late April when he got a "faint hit" on the metal detector and found a ring bearing the initials "W.R.J." and the date Jan. 21, 1966, under about 4 inches of dirt.

Cook said the ring was about 100 feet away from where Jones had estimated it ended up. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...nnessee-Ransom-Jones-Doug-Cook/2151621970092/

A collection of poems by Emily Brontë and works by Robert Burns that have re-emerged after nearly 100 years.

"A "lost library" of British literature, including rare handwritten poems by Emily Brontë and works by Robert Burns, is to be auctioned off at Sotheby's.

The contents of the Honresfield Library, which has re-emerged after almost 100 years in obscurity, will go up for sale at three separate auctions.

Emily's poems are expected to fetch somewhere between £800,000 and £1.2m.

A first edition of her famous novel Wuthering Heights could fetch between £200,000 and £300,000."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57242780

Here's a record album recently returned to an Ohio library from which it had been borrowed in 1973 - when the artist (Bob Dylan) was less than half as old as he is now.
Bob Dylan record returned to Ohio library was 48 years overdue

A manager at an Ohio library said a man who checked out a Bob Dylan record returned the borrowed item through the mail 48 years later.

Sara Philips, manager of the University Heights branch of Heights Libraries, said ...

"I got a package in the mail from San Francisco that was record-shaped and -- lo and behold! -- it contained a record from our collection that was due back in June 1973" ...

The record, Self Portrait by Bob Dylan, had been checked out by Howard Simon when he was an eighth-grader at Wiley Middle School in Cleveland Heights.

Simon included a note with the record that revealed he had recently discovered the album among his personal collection and decided to return it. ...

Phillips said Simon included a $175 donation with the record, as well as a copy of his own album, Western Reserve. Phillips said Simon's album might end up as part of the library's music collection. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Bob-Dylan-record-Howard-Simon/3621622224805/

A bush holds onto a Scottish man's stolen wallet for 17 years before someone notices it and has it returned to its original owner.
Scottish man reunited with stolen wallet after 17 years

A Scottish man whose wallet was stolen at a bar 17 years ago was reunited with the long-lost item after it was found inside a bush near the business.

Ryan Seymour, 37, of Lochgelly, said he was initially confused when an officer from the Dunfermline Police Station contacted him on Facebook recently to ask if he was missing a wallet. ...

"I initially said I hadn't, but they told me it was probably about 20 years ago," Seymore wrote on Twitter. "I started racking my brains, and I said 'yeah, now that you mention it, I did a long time ago.'"

Seymour said his wallet was stolen during a night out at the Elizabethan pub in Dunfermline about 17 years earlier. ...

Police told Seymour the wallet had been found in a bush near the bar and was turned in by a member of the public.

Seymour said the contents of the wallet were mostly intact, except for the $85 cash he remembered having inside it. The wallet still contains his video rental membership card and an old work ID. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-17-years-Dunfermline-Scotland/1541622664247/

This California woman was reunited with the wallet she lost 46 years ago in a theater.
Woman recovers wallet lost 46 years ago in California

A woman from Ventura was reunited with a wallet she lost 46 years ago after an employee working on remodeling Southern California’s historic Majestic Ventura Theater discovered it inside a crawl space. ...

“I would have never imagined,” said Tom Stevens after locating the wallet among old candy bar wrappers, ticket stubs and soda cans.

Stevens told the Ventura County Star he then went on social media to try to locate the owner based on clues in the wallet, including old photos, a 1973 Grateful Dead concert ticket and a California driver’s license for Colleen Distin that expired in 1976. There was no money in the wallet. ...

Distin on Friday went to pick up the red wallet, now brownish with age, and said it was like opening a “time capsule.”

Distin said she lost the wallet in 1975, when she was in her early 20s, at what was then a movie theater. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/californ...ogy-oddities-6c95d4e74df6e5a324621375ce7866ff

A Virginia woman was reunited with the digital camera (and circa 300 photos) she'd lost in a lake almost a decade ago.
Diver reunites woman with camera lost in lake for nearly 10 years

A technical rescue diver in Virginia found a camera at the bottom of a Virginia lake and was able to reunite it with the woman who lost it nearly a decade earlier.

Lilly Potts was participating in a rescue training exercise with the Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad when she found the algae-covered camera at the bottom of Claytor Lake. ...

"I happen to pass over a camera, and I decided to pick it up and open it up and the SD card was still in it," Potts told WDBJ-TV.

Potts enlisted the help of a friend who was able to recover about 300 photos from the card. ...

Potts posted photos from the SD card to Facebook in the hopes of finding the owner, and one of Potts' former teachers was able to identify the camera's owner as Brenda Dalton ...

Dalton said she thought some of the pictures had been lost forever when she dropped her camera into the lake nearly a decade earlier.

"And they are as clear as the day that I took them. You can't -- you couldn't tell that they were underwater for years. ... ," Dalton said.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...lacksburg-Virginia-Lilly-Potts/4011622751719/

"Dalton said she thought some of the pictures had been lost forever when she dropped her camera into the lake nearly a decade earlier."

Only some of the photos???

"And they are as clear as the day that I took them. You can't -- you couldn't tell that they were underwater for years. ... ," Dalton said."

It this person fot real?! Does she think the picture are on little tiny bits of photo paper in the SD card and are magically blown up into full size pictures?

It's in the blood ... When this border collie mix was ejected from the family car in a collision and went MIA he simply took up residence at a local farm - herding the sheep.
Dog missing after highway crash found herding sheep days later

A family dog that went missing after being ejected during a highway crash was found days later herding sheep at an area farm.

Linda Oswald said her family was driving on Idaho State Highway 41, south of Rathdrum, on Sunday when their GMC Yukon collided with another car, and Tilly, the family's 2 1/2-year-old border collie-red heeler mix, was ejected through a window.

Oswald and some witnesses who stopped to help started searching the area for Tilly, but there was no sign of him after 10 hours of scouring the area.

The family posted about Tilly on social media and search parties continued to look for Tilly, but the dog didn't turn up until Tuesday, when Tyler Potter and her brother, Travis Potter, noticed one of their sheep herding dogs appeared to have darker fur than usual. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...d-herding-sheep-Rathdrum-Idaho/2431623262983/

Last edited:
I was working this morning fixing my dads friends fence, whilst digging out one of the old fence posts and associated concrete i found this old padlock

20210612_132721.png

I've cleaned it up a little bit but will try to clean it up some more to try to find a makers name. The property where i found it was built in the 60's and before that the land was part of an old estate. It looks pretty old to me.

Cleaned up the old padlock as best i can, no makers mark unfortunately.

View attachment 40739
I was cycling along in town one day 30-odd years ago with a kid on the little seat on the back when a similar padlock fell off a lorry in front of me. After nearly hitting me it bounced along the road. It had the key with it!

It's still around somewhere, in working condition.

I looked through my dads big box of old keys but the shaft of the lock is a lot bigger than any key he had. I'm nor sure it it will open even with a key, its probably been buried for at least 60 years maybe a lot longer, but if i get the time and money i might give them a call, i was going to give it to my dads friend, whos garden i found it, he has mild alzheimers so he might appreciate it.

The old padlock locks by turning the key anticlockwise. This seems counter-intuitive to me! :chuckle:

A similar padlock goes for £32-odd on eBay but of course mine is old and only has one key instead of two.

This high school class ring was reunited with its owner after 63 years. He said it fits his finger better now than it did when he first got it.
Lost class ring returned to New York man after 63 years

A New York woman cleaning out her parents' home after their deaths discovered a class ring and was able to track down the man who lost it 63 years earlier.

Mary Jo Orzech of Brockport said she was cleaning out her parents' home in Lackawanna last year when she found the Lackawanna High School class of 1955 ring in a drawer in her father's dresser. ...

The ring bore the initials "ELD," Orzech's first clue toward finding the owner. ...

Orzech said it took some time, but she eventually connected with Susan Palumbo, the Lackawanna High School librarian.

Palumbo consulted a 1955 yearbook and identified the ring's likely owner as Eugene Darmstedter, who is now in his 80s and still living in Lackawanna.

Darmstedter said he always believed the ring was lost at a softball game in 1958, but it's unclear how it came to be in Orzech's father's possession.

Orzech said her father and uncles owned a pub that was located nearby the fire station where Darmstedter worked as a firefighter in the 1950s. She said firefighters from the station would frequent the business. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/06/14/class-ring-Lackawanna-High-School-63-years/9211623697893/

Frankie the cat went missing. His owners identified the badly damaged cat corpse found on a nearby highway as Frankie, had the remains cremated, and received the ashes as a keepsake. ... Then Frankie came home.
Cat returns home after family thought they had cremated him

A FAMILY had an almighty shock when their pet cat miraculously returned home after they believed he had been cremated. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.warringtonguardian.co.u...470.cat-returns-home-family-thought-cremated/

A 200 year old guide book revealing details of a Roman villa has been rediscovered.

"A 200-year-old guide book revealing details of a large and luxurious Roman villa has been rediscovered.

It details the North Leigh Roman Villa in Oxfordshire, which had a total of 60 rooms.

The fragile document was found in the Blenheim Palace archive and once belonged to the then Duke of Marlborough.

The ruins of the villa were excavated in 1813, but within a week most of its mosaic floor was pilfered by locals."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-57510142

Found in a German rest stop dumpster: Two 17th century paintings.
Police say 17th century paintings found in highway dumpster

German police appealed Friday for information about the possible owners of two 17th-century paintings discovered in a highway rest stop dumpster.

Police said a 64-year-old man found the oil paintings at the rest stop near Ohrenbach in central Germany last month.

He later handed them in to police in the western city of Cologne. ...

One is a self-portrait by Pietro Belloti showing the Italian artist smiling and dating to 1665.

The other is a portrait of a boy by the 17th-century Dutch artist Samuel van Hoogstraten, date unknown.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/europe-p...ent-oddities-9ae0516edec08d3e7989c8e523ec2436

A California library will be receiving one of their books that's been overdue for over 70 years.
Overdue book headed back to California library after 70 years

An overdue book is on its way back to a California after being found by a man whose mother failed to return it by the June 2, 1950, due date.

Tim Steele said his mother, Gail Steele, checked out the copy of Dancing Star by Gladys Malvern during a trip to the Sonoma County Library when she was only 13 years old. ...

Gail Steele, a former Hayward city councilwoman and an 18-year member of the Alameda County Board of Supervisors, died in June 2020 at the age of 83. Tim Steele said he came across the overdue library book while he and his siblings were cleaning out her home in Hayward. ...

Library officials said the facility did away with fines in 2019, and fees were previously capped at $25, but if Steele had been charged the old rate of 15 cents per day, the book would have accumulated more than $3,888 in late fees. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ears-Gail-Steele-Sonoma-County/4691624044423/

Here's a lost and found story with something of a spooky twist ...
Hard hat lost in Massachusetts washes up on Portuguese island

A Massachusetts man whose hard hat fell into the Atlantic Ocean in 2014 received word that his lost hat washed up 2,000 miles away in Portugal.

Conrad Roy Jr., of Fairhaven, said his hat fell into the water while he was working on a job site in New Bedford in 2014. ...

Roy said it came as a surprise when he learned from a Facebook post Sunday that his hat had washed up Portugal's Azores archipelago.

"I just happen to see this post and I'm like, 'Wow, it looks like my hard hat,' and I start reading it and I said, 'Oh my gosh, that is my hard hat " ...

Sandra Machado said she spotted the hat's unnatural color sticking out in the water.

"... I went to pick it up and saw a helmet, and the stickers say it was from New Bedford" ...

Roy said he believes the Father's Day discovery was a message from his son, Conrad Roy III, who died by suicide at age 18 on 2014. He said his son had been on the job site with him when he lost the hat.

"I'm happy today because it felt like he brought that to me," Roy said.

He said he is working on a plan to get his hat back to the United States. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...c-Ocean-Massachusetts-Portugal/8201624296342/

Back