• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

I'm trying to figure out how this Illinois fair-goer managed to lose his / her dentures in the conservation exhibition. Was he / she chewing on an endangered species?
Police reunite Illinois State Fair visitor with lost dentures

The Illinois State Police said a visitor to the Illinois State Fair was reunited with an unusual piece of lost property -- their dentures.

The ISP said in a Facebook post that a fair-goer flagged down troopers to turn over a set of "abandoned chompers" found in the Conservation World area of the fair. ...

The post was later updated to say the owner had been found.

"The owner has been in contact with the lost and found and should be reunited with their previously misplaced pearly whites very soon. Thank you to all that made this reunion a reality," the post said.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/09/10/Illinois-State-Fair-lost-dentures/2331631298652/

A social media appeal has begun, looking for the owner of a box of 6 WWII medals that were found on a golf course.

"A woman has launched an online appeal to try to track down the owner of a box of six World War Two medals, which was found on a golf course.

Kimberley Farnsworth said the box was discovered by a friend who was retrieving his ball at Ramsdale Park Golf Centre in Nottinghamshire.

After struggling to find the veteran's family, Ms Farnsworth has turned to social media to widen the search.

The golf centre's management described the find as "fantastic" and "rare"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-58503872

This is an old story that's been spun and re-spun to add lots of woo factor for years.

The owner of the property was a car dealer who'd stored excess inventory and sealed the warehouse. The photographer didn't stumble onto this - the owner hired him to document the collection. It is true the photographer was sworn to secrecy about the collection's location.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/portugal-barn-find/
Here’s a similar story, albeit with less desirable cars.

Mystery car enthusiast selling off his £1million dust-covered collection of classics

The classic cars, which date back to the 1940s, has grown gradually in a business park in Tottenham and is auctioned off in a sale with individual guide prices of up to £25,000

The 174 cars have been hidden in a London warehouse for more than 10 years.

Each vehicle was put on for sale individually and had been languishing in the warehouse for years covered in dust and bird droppings

The cars are a ramshackle collection of classic models and some do not have number plates or identifying documents

All of the cars are said to run properly and were driven to the warehouse under their own power but some have not been taxed for 30 years.

The spokesman said that they were "sifting through 15 boxes of old receipts, old tax disks, photos of better years, service history, MOTs, V5s and more" and wanted to "share as much as possible" with interested parties.

1631616439096.png

individual guide prices of up to £25,000

I would venture that (from looking at the pic) there are going to be quite a few of those vehicles that fetch considerably more than the 'guide price'. Particularly the VW minibuses of both the Type 1 and T2 varieties, the convertible Mercs, the MGBs, and I think I can see a series III Landy in the corner too.

A cat escaped its transport carrier at JFK and spent 3 weeks wandering around the airport before being detected and recaptured.
Escaped cat found after three weeks wandering around JFK airport

A cat that escaped from a carrier while being loaded onto an Italy-bound flight was captured safely after three weeks of wandering around the tarmac at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

John Debacker, vice president of nonprofit animal rescue group Long Island Cat Kitten Solution, said Salvatore Fazio, a man who lives part-time in Mastic Beach, arrived in Italy to find his cat, Ettore, had escaped from his carrier before being loaded into the plane. ...

Debacker said it was difficult to get permission to search for Ettore on the runway area.

"It was quite difficult to get clearance. My friend Teddy Henn and I were hanging flyers in the terminal when a Port Authority worker noticed a collar found near the runway's edge by the water matched the flyer description," Debacker told Patch.

Fazio appealed to the Port Authority, and Debecker was given supervised access to the tarmac to find Ettore.

Debecker said he set up an overnight camera that managed to capture a glimpse of the wandering feline on the first night, allowing him to set a humane trap that managed to ensnare Ettore about 1 a.m. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ong-Island-Kitten-Cat-Solution/6021632242595/

I've just lost my glasses and then found them in our house. Or did they find me?.

Anyone who knows me in none internet land will tell you I'm extremely methodical, even the objects I put in the pockets of my jeans are never mixed up (I never for example use my back left pocket for anything other than for the Mrs's money or other peoples). I always put stuff both at work and at home in the same place every time, people even comment on it so when I lost my glasses this morning, I went to the relevant place in each room but they'd seemed to have entered the Twilight Zone. Even the Mrs was shocked so she helped me look. I found a cigarette in the top of a shirt in the washing machine that hasn't been switched on yet which was lucky and the Mrs found a belt I'd lost ages ago down the back cushion in my chair. She handed to me, we both looked at it then I tossed it onto the floor because we were both on a mission.

I found my spare pair and fixed those with super glue so I could actually see to find the buggers. We both did another sweep of the house, re tracing my steps ... nothing ..

I was supposed to be meeting my mate so I called her to say I might be a bit late, sat in my chair from my laptop then got up, had another look around, got as far as the door then for some reason turned back to look into the room and my glasses were in plain sight on the floor next to the belt? ... I called the Mrs to come and have a look, I swore that I wasn't pranking her and we were both a little bit freaked out.

Her theory is that my glasses had become hooked onto the belt ... and on rare occasions, on top of my chair is where I sometimes put them ... but how come neither of us saw them attached to the belt when we both looked at it as I was holding it up to try and work out if it was her belt or mine. And how come we hadn't spotted the glasses earlier on our light coloured carpet?. At least it's made me get off my arse and fix my other pair, I've regained my good belt and I didn't fill our clothes washing machine with Tabaco.

I've just lost my glasses and then found them in our house. Or did they find me?.

Anyone who knows me in none internet land will tell you I'm extremely methodical, even the objects I put in the pockets of my jeans are never mixed up (I never for example use my back left pocket for anything other than for the Mrs's money or other peoples). I always put stuff both at work and at home in the same place every time, people even comment on it so when I lost my glasses this morning, I went to the relevant place in each room but they'd seemed to have entered the Twilight Zone. Even the Mrs was shocked so she helped me look. I found a cigarette in the top of a shirt in the washing machine that hasn't been switched on yet which was lucky and the Mrs found a belt I'd lost ages ago down the back cushion in my chair. She handed to me, we both looked at it then I tossed it onto the floor because we were both on a mission.

I found my spare pair and fixed those with super glue so I could actually see to find the buggers. We both did another sweep of the house, re tracing my steps ... nothing ..

I was supposed to be meeting my mate so I called her to say I might be a bit late, sat in my chair from my laptop then got up, had another look around, got as far as the door then for some reason turned back to look into the room and my glasses were in plain sight on the floor next to the belt? ... I called the Mrs to come and have a look, I swore that I wasn't pranking her and we were both a little bit freaked out.

Her theory is that my glasses had become hooked onto the belt ... and on rare occasions, on top of my chair is where I sometimes put them ... but how come neither of us saw them attached to the belt when we both looked at it as I was holding it up to try and work out if it was her belt or mine. And how come we hadn't spotted the glasses earlier on our light coloured carpet?. At least it's made me get off my arse and fix my other pair, I've regained my good belt and I didn't fill our clothes washing machine with Tabaco.
Welcome to the old buffer's club!

Want to find lost gold in the sea? Follow a squid! ...
Caiman Islands snorkeler follows squid to man's lost wedding ring

A woman snorkeling in the Cayman Islands said a squid led her to a wedding ring that she was later able to reunite with its owner.

James Ross said he had only been wearing his wedding ring for about six months when he lost it while scuba diving with his wife, Kirsty McMillan, at Eden Rock. ...

Three weeks passed with no sign of the ring, until Raquel Tobian, who recently moved to the Cayman Islands from Ohio, chanced upon the lost item while snorkeling in the Eden Rock area.

Tobian said she was following a squid in the water when she noticed something glittering in the sand nearby. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...squid-James-Ross-Raquel-Tobian/1021632513113/

So next time I'm on t'blower to Harry the Dip and he's planning a weekend in Cromer I'll mention your pocket arrangement. Save some of his valuable time. :wink2:

So next time I'm on t'blower to Harry the Dip and he's planning a weekend in Cromer I'll mention your pocket arrangement. Save some of his valuable time. :wink2:
Me and Harry the Dip were inside together so that slag won't come near me darlin' ..

A Florida man discovers one of the plaques he'd purchased at a garage sale solely for its nice hardwood contained one of Louisiana's long-lost moon rocks from the Seventies.
Florida gun collector solves mystery of Louisiana's long-lost moon rock

A long-lost moon rock presented to the state of Louisiana by NASA after the Apollo 17 mission in 1972 has been returned to the state by a Florida man who purchased the plaque to use the wood for gun repairs.

The Florida man, who chose to remain anonymous, said he frequently buys plaques at garage sales and thrift stores to use the wood for gun stock repairs, and he was recently going through one of his boxes of plaques when an unusual item caught his eye. ...

The plaque contained an odd stone, and the inscription on the metal plate told its story: "This fragment is a portion of a rock from Taurus Littrow Valley of the Moon. It was part of a larger rock composed of many particles of different shapes and sizes, a symbol of the unity of human endeavor and mankind's hope for a future of peace and harmony."

The rock had been collected by astronauts on the Apollo 17 mission in 1972 and was presented to the state of Louisiana by NASA once it was brought down to earth.

The Florida man said he likely purchased the item at a garage sale at some point in the past 15 years. ...

The rock was the second and final lunar sample presented to the state of Louisiana. The first, from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission, was also considered lost for decades, but was rediscovered in 2018 in the collection of the Louisiana Art and Science Museum in Baton Rouge. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...rida-gun-collector-garage-sale/3341632852203/

A Florida man discovers one of the plaques he'd purchased at a garage sale solely for its nice hardwood contained one of Louisiana's long-lost moon rocks from the Seventies.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...rida-gun-collector-garage-sale/3341632852203/
This I think.is one of the issues with big museums/collections, they have so much stuff that they dont even know 2hat they have got, it is a great shame that so much interesting stuff is hidden away in boxes and drawers and is unlikely to ever see the light of day again, when it should be cherished and displayed with pride.

A Toronto library has received a book of children's poetry checked out 43 years ago.
Overdue book returned to Toronto library after 43 years

A Toronto library said a children's poetry book is back in circulation after being returned 43 years after its due date.

Toronto Public Library officials said Nicholas Knock and Other People, a book of poetry by Dennis Lee, was returned to the Danforth-Coxwell branch this month after being checked out in October 1978. ...

Leung said the borrower will not face overdue fines.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Coxwell-overdue-book-43-years/2281632939360/

Severed finger found outside block of flats

A hunt has been launched to find a man whose finger was found outside a block of flats in Southampton.
The man’s finger was severed off as he scaled a fence after getting trapped in a courtyard area, according to locals.

It’s believed he had been drinking and could have lost a lot of blood in the gory incident on Lower Bannister Street.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: ‘Officers are concerned for his welfare due to the trauma of what happened and as he appears to have lost a lot of blood.

A metal detectorist searching for a lost diamond ring discovered a lost locket containing its owner's father's ashes.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ach-Massachusetts-Rich-Bonanno/5191630435712/
One of the ways metal detectorists can enhance their chances of obtaining new permissions on private land as well as improving the Public perception of their activity, is to offer a (free) lost item searching service. A poster on my detectoring Forum was recently approached by a farmer who'd lost a Rolex watch in a field 4-5 years earlier. The watch was small, the field was HUGE (don't know if it had been ploughed) and the poster was asking for advice - he wondered if it was a good idea to invite other detectorists on social media to help search, maybe offer a small reward ? Consensus was that if he gave the exact location of a field with something on it valuable enough to attract a reward, the field would overnight become a cratered lunar surface and the next time anyone see the Rolex would be on Ebay. Sad but true in the UK.

A social media appeal has begun, looking for the owner of a box of 6 WWII medals that were found on a golf course.

"A woman has launched an online appeal to try to track down the owner of a box of six World War Two medals, which was found on a golf course.

Kimberley Farnsworth said the box was discovered by a friend who was retrieving his ball at Ramsdale Park Golf Centre in Nottinghamshire.

After struggling to find the veteran's family, Ms Farnsworth has turned to social media to widen the search.

The golf centre's management described the find as "fantastic" and "rare"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-58503872
Sounds like someone's discarded that after a burglary.

A Kansas man was reunited with a wallet he'd made - and lost - almost a half-century ago.
Wallet lost in early 1970s returned to Kansas owner

... The Great Bend Police Department said in a Facebook post that a wallet recently was turned in to the department by a member of the public, and officers found several items including a Social Security card and a driver's license inside -- although the license had expired in 1974. ...

The department said officers were able to get into contact with the wallet's owner, who now lives in Lawrence, Kan. The owner told police he had lost the wallet in the early 1970s.

"He ... shared with us that he made the wallet himself," the post said.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...tment-Kansas-lost-wallet-1970s/2011633727465/

A Massachusetts children's hospital finally received a kidney destined for a transplant operation after contacting the State Police and learning the medical transport driver had been stopped and the unmarked transport vehicle had been impounded.

I've got a funny feeling we may never get a full explanation for this incident. The transport company, the driver, and the State Police probably don't want to discuss it, and the hospital is prohibited from discussing it.
I-Team: State Police Traffic Stop Delays Kidney Delivery To Boston Children’s Hospital Transplant Patient

Massachusetts State Police are looking into a traffic stop that delayed the transport of a lifesaving organ to a patient waiting in Boston.

Sources tell WBZ-TV’s I-Team it happened Sunday afternoon on the Massachusetts Turnpike in the Charlton area. A State Police trooper pulled over an unmarked medical transport vehicle coming from outside New England. ...

The driver of the vehicle was unlicensed. The trooper called to have the car towed by Interstate Towing in Sturbridge.

Inside the vehicle was a kidney needed for a patient at Boston Children’s Hospital. Sources say troopers went looking for the kidney after an operating room nurse at the hospital contacted the State Police. ...

Kidneys can only last between 24-to-36 hours outside the body. Troopers sent to the tow lot found the vehicle and the kidney and brought it to the hospital.

WBZ-TV contacted Boston Children’s to find out about the viability of the kidney and the transplant. In a statement the hospital said given the strict rules around organ transplant privacy, it was not able to comment. ...

The State Police is looking into the matter and says the kidney was delivered within a half hour of getting the call.
SOURCE: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/10...hildrens-hospital-massachusetts-state-police/

A drawing by an 'old master', has been found in a attic.

"A drawing by a great Italian artist of the 18th Century is to go under the hammer after it was found in a loft.

The work by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo was uncovered at Weston Hall, near Towcester, Northamptonshire, ahead of the manor house being put up for sale.

Henrietta Sitwell, whose family owned Weston for 300 years, said it was one of many "exciting discoveries".

Auctioneers Dreweatts said it was "probably the most important find" at the house and could fetch £250,000."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58873868

This Glasgow man found his lost bicycle before he even knew it had been stolen.
Glasgow Good Samaritan helps man fix broken bike… before realising it was his own and had been swiped from shed

John Devlin, 64, stopped to repair the handlebars of the bicycle that Paul Hartey, 46, had earlier taken from his shed in Glasgow's Drumchapel on June 18.

Mr Devlin was able to identify the bike as his own mid-repair due to distinctive stickers and helmet attached to it.

He then remarked: "That's mine" before chasing the thief down the street.

Hartey pled guilty today at Glasgow Sheriff Court to forcing open a lockfast shed. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/7841550/glasgow-stolen-bike-good-samaritan/

Back