• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

A romantic mansion beloved by poet Shelley has been revealed for the first time in decades by the recent heatwave.

Nantgwyllt House has been underwater since part of the Elan Valley was flooded to make a reservoir in 1903.
Now visible are the foundations and garden walls of the mansion where Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote during his stays and wanted to buy for his wife in 1812.
Shelley was 18 when he was first invited by his uncle to stay and chose to walk to mid Wales all the way from the family estate in Sussex.

...the large manor house was later taken over by engineers making the Caban Coch reservoir in 1903. It was one of a series to supply enough water for 500,000 people in Birmingham.
The mansion was demolished before the completion of the dams, although the garden walls, stone bridges and footprints remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62583046

More drought finds.

Dinosaur footprints revealed in drought hit river

In Dinosaur Valley state park Texas. Two sets of prints, one from a herbivore, the other a carnivore.

1662723932454.png

A British Columbia man was reunited with the wedding ring he'd lost 17 years ago.
Swimmer finds wedding ring lost in channel 17 years earlier

A swimmer in a British Columbia channel found a ring that hade been dropped into the water by a man 17 years earlier.

Penticton police released a statement seeking the owner of a ring found in the Penticton Channel by a local swimmer, and that the ring was engraved with the names Stephanie and Noel. ...

The statement came to the attention of Noel Nissen's father-in-law.

"My father-in-law reached out to me. He had seen an article on another news site and sent it my way saying, 'Is this yours?'" Nissen told CBC News.

Nissen said he had lost his wedding ring in the channel 17 years earlier. ...

Nissen said he and some friends had spent the day at the channel and he didn't realize until getting back to his car that the ring was missing.

He said the ring, which was returned to him just in time for his 20th wedding anniversary with wife Stephanie, remains in great condition.

"You wouldn't believe how good of a shape it's in after 17 years in the channel. ..." he said.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...nds-wedding-ring-lost-17-years/4001662753308/

Canadian sanitation workers had to dig through trash at a dump for more than 2 hours to locate multiple rings a woman's husband had accidentally thrown away.
Sanitation workers dig through dump to find woman's lost rings

Sanitation workers in Nova Scotia spent more than two hours digging through piles of trash at a dump to recover five rings that were accidentally thrown out with a paper towel.

Alexandra Stokal of Cape Breton said she had put her rings in a paper towel to dry after a cleaning, and her husband later threw the paper towel away without realizing there was jewelry inside it. ...

Stokal said the rings included her wedding rings and other sentimental pieces. ...

Stokal contacted the Cape Breton Regional Municipality Solid Waste transfer facility when she realized the rings had been carted away with the trash by sanitation workers.

"The odds are very slim that we could recover something that small, but we said we'd give it a shot for her," CBRM Foreman J.B. O'Brien said.

O'Brien and five other workers spent more than two hours digging through approximately a thousand bags of trash until they found the garbage from Stokal's home. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...n-Nova-Scotia-rings-found-dump/1611662660508/

This Texas woman's San Diego vacation was ruined when the airline lost the luggage containing her custom-fitted prosthetic leg on the outbound flight. After almost 2 weeks of diligent effort, she was back home and the lost luggage was returned to her after being discovered in Utah.
Airline returns woman’s lost bag containing prosthetic leg after 12 days

The stress an air traveler felt the last 12 days subsided Monday afternoon when the suitcase containing a vital item finally arrived at her Austin home.

Emily Tuite described the days leading to this moment as “traumatic,” because the bright blue bag she checked for her Sept. 1 flight from Austin to San Diego had her waterproof prosthetic leg inside it. She planned to use the costly, custom medical device to do everything from swim in the Pacific Ocean to shower. However, the critical piece of luggage never made it to her final destination, which she said ruined her trip because of all the time she spent unsuccessfully trying to find it.

“It can take over a year to have a leg made. It’s not easy with insurance to have medical devices remade for you,” Tuite said. “I was like I need to do everything in my power to get the bag back somehow, so, yeah, I did a lot to get there.” ...

The hours spent calling customer service and talking to employees from Allegiant Airlines resulted in nothing. She said a representative at one point told her the bag never made it onto her Austin flight, even though she received a slip with the tracking number when she checked it at the counter. She assumed someone must have stolen the luggage.

However, ... she finally got a phone call that the airline found her bag. Somehow, Tuite’s suitcase had another traveler’s information placed on it, so it had been sitting in baggage claim all this time at the airport in Provo, Utah. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wane.com/news/airline-returns-womans-lost-bag-containing-prosthetic-leg-after-12-days/

A very valuable painting stolen in 1985 has been recovered and returned to the New Mexico museum from which it was stolen.
Stolen $160M painting found in New Mexico returned to Arizona museum

A painting that was stolen from it’s frame nearly 40 years ago is finally getting returned back to the very same wall it was stolen from. “I know how rare this is. This does not happen often. We are incredibly lucky,” says Olivia Miller, interim director and curator of exhibitions at the University of Arizona Museum of Art.

‘Woman-Ochre,’ painted by Willem de Kooning in 1955 is considered an influential piece of American abstract impressionism. It was donated to the Museum of Art at the University of Arizona three years later, and traveled the nation and the world to be exhibited in galleries. ...

“The day after Thanksgiving in 1985, it was kind of a quiet day for the museum. It was just opening up in the morning and a couple entered the museum. The woman distracted the security guard before they could take their position in the gallery, and meanwhile, the man went upstairs and sliced ‘Woman-Ochre’ from its frame,” Miller says. ...

In 2015, the museum held a program about art crime and circulated their story on the internet in the hopes that someone, somewhere might know something. ...

“We got a call from a man named David Van Auker who lives in Silver City, New Mexico. And he had bought the painting at an estate and immediately wanted to return it to the museum,” Miller says. ...

It was held as evidence in the crime and had to undergo a very complex conservation treatment at the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles before being transported by a specialized art truck accompanied by Homeland Security back to where it all began. ...

There were never any charges brought for the theft of this artwork. The painting was found in a New Mexico couple’s home in their bedroom and sold in an estate sale for $2,000 dollars when they died. ...
SOURCE: https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/stolen-160m-painting-found-in-new-mexico-returned-to-arizona-museum/

This California woman's beloved cat disappeared 9 years ago. Last month she received a phone call advising her the lost cat had been found over 1,000 miles away in Idaho. Owing to the lapse of so many years, the original owner consented to letting an Idaho animal shelter volunteer adopt the cat.
California woman's lost cat found in Idaho nine years later

A California woman was shocked to receive a phone call from Idaho saying her lost cat had been found after nine years.

Susan Moore of Clovis said her cat, Harriet, disappeared nine years ago, and her husband, Brian Ellison, theorized the feline had been killed by a coyote. ...

Moore had adopted Harriet as a shelter kitten three years earlier.

"I was very distraught about this cat going missing," Moore told The Washington Post. "I was really bonded to this cat."

Moore said she was shocked to receive a phone call Sept. 19 from the Kootenai Humane Society in Hayden, Idaho.

The caller said Harriet had been found wandering the streets of Hayden, more than 1,000 miles from Clovis, and the feline's microchip had given shelter workers Moore's contact information.

"I wish she could talk because I'd like to know how the heck that cat got all the way to Idaho," Moore said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/10/05/lost-cat-California-Idaho-nine-years/2461665002217/

Couple find £250,000 in coins hidden under home they’ve lived in for 10 years

The hoard of 264 gold pieces were uncovered while the floor at their North Yorkshire home was being relaid.

When they lifted the floorboards of the 18th century property, they were intrigued to find an earthenware cup about the size of of Coke can.

The homeowners discovered the coins in July 2019 and as they have now been officially disclaimed, they can now go to auction.
Update - they sold for £754 grand at auction

The London auction, featuring phone and online bidders, reached a "hammer price" of £628,000 for all the lots, with the final purchase price including fees calculated at £754,000.

The coins, dating from 1610-1727, belonged to the Fernley-Maisters, a Hull family involved in Baltic trading.

The auctioneer called the final sale price "absolutely extraordinary".

The coins, whose provisional estimate of between £200,000-£250,000 was tripled after the story gained global attention, were eventually sold to dozens of buyers in individual lots by Spink & Son auctioneers in Bloomsbury, London.

The auction house, which said the collection represented approximately £100,000 in today's money, called it "one of the largest hoards of 18th Century English gold coins ever found in Britain".

Interest had come from private collectors from around the world, including in America, Europe, Australia, China and Japan, it said.

An imperfectly minted coin from 1720 fetched the highest individual price at £62,400, Spink & Son said.

Spink & Son said Joseph Fernley and Sarah Maister married in 1694 and lived in Ellerby, with Joseph dying in 1725, aged 76.

Sarah died aged 80 in 1745, with the "family line dying out soon after", the firm added.
1665234963370.png

A more than 60-year-old girl's purse was discovered in a former Texas school building's wall. The 1950s-era girl has died in the mean time, but her family was pleased to learn of the find.
Purse from the 1950s found inside walls of former Texas school

Officials in a Texas city said a small purse from the 1950s was found inside the walls at a former school building -- and they have now identified the owner.

The League City Historical Society and the Clear Creek Independent School District said the purse was recently found during renovation work at the League City Community Center, which formerly served as the League City School. ...

"The purse was full of what looked like a wallet and it turned out to be a diary. ... She wrote about her love life, who she broke up with," League City Historical Society Vice President Richard Lewis said ...

The purse contained the name "Beverly Williams" and numerous photos dating back 50-70 years.

Officials said they were able to contact the family of Williams, who attended the school in the 1950s. Williams, who was born in 1945, died in September 2016. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/10/10/League-City-Texas-purse-1950s-former-school/1921665417887/

Every time, every bl00dy time it catches me out ... Americans call what we call a 'handbag' a purse! I was wondering what size purse it had to be to contain a diary before I remembered! It happens all the time you'd think that I'd read enough American novels by now to have learnt, but no, even in them I'm frequently confused. :)

Every time, every bl00dy time it catches me out ... Americans call what we call a 'handbag' a purse! I was wondering what size purse it had to be to contain a diary before I remembered! ...

Here's the purse that was discovered beneath the floorboards of the old school's original stage ...

Purse-LeagueCityTX.jpg

The purse contained a red wallet(?) that apparently contained the photos and other small items.

Purse-LeagueCityTX-B.jpg

Help find his relatives.

An appeal has been launched to trace the surviving relatives of a police inspector after a service medal was found in a back garden.

The medal, which was found in Rufford, West Lancashire, was awarded to Sub Insp William Culshaw for good service by Liverpool City Police in 1944. Insp Culshaw worked for the force from 1919 to 1944. Merseyside Police said it was now trying to trace relatives of the officer.

_127294644_newspaper-02.jpg
IMAGE SOURCE,MERSEYSIDE POLICE Image caption, A newspaper cutting from the time was found

PC Greson Fontenell from Southport Community Policing said: "I found a few articles in the Evening Express about Insp Culshaw and it says that he was an exemplary officer. We would like to return the medal to his surviving relatives as it is a lovely piece of family history for them to have."

He added: "The person who found it is also hopes it is returned to the rightful family of Insp Culshaw."

The force asked anyone with any knowledge of the family to contact PC Fontenell by emailing [email protected] or calling 0151 777 3945.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-63351467

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimi Hendrix returns

Jimi is a cat & has been returned to his owner in Devon after disappearing 6 years ago. Traced by microchip.

View attachment 60146
That you've posted this is (slightly) weird. Had a dream in the early hours of yesterday (Sunday morning).
Jimi Hendrix was in the next room and I was frantically searching for his album 'Legend' (actually a Bob Marley album that I own), for him to sign. Couldn't find it anywhere. In a real panic. Eventually I give up and go next door to be told by someone that Jimi had left. Feeling very dejected, I returned to the room. You came by and I told you what had happened. You went over to the shelves where all the albums were and straight away found the one I was looking for. I'm thinking "how could I have not seen it there"? Then I woke up out of breath like I'd just ran a marathon.

A romantic mansion beloved by poet Shelley has been revealed for the first time in decades by the recent heatwave.

Nantgwyllt House has been underwater since part of the Elan Valley was flooded to make a reservoir in 1903.
Now visible are the foundations and garden walls of the mansion where Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote during his stays and wanted to buy for his wife in 1812.
Shelley was 18 when he was first invited by his uncle to stay and chose to walk to mid Wales all the way from the family estate in Sussex.

...the large manor house was later taken over by engineers making the Caban Coch reservoir in 1903. It was one of a series to supply enough water for 500,000 people in Birmingham.
The mansion was demolished before the completion of the dams, although the garden walls, stone bridges and footprints remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62583046
I instantly despise anyone who's only 18 years old but can afford to buy a mansion .. not only that but then also carve his initials there into a window with a diamond ring. He can fuck right off, 'famous poet' or not. And that goes for 'Lord' Byron as well, the pair of wankers. I'm glad the place was submerged if only because it annoyed Shelly.

That you've posted this is (slightly) weird. Had a dream in the early hours of yesterday (Sunday morning).
Jimi Hendrix was in the next room and I was frantically searching for his album 'Legend' (actually a Bob Marley album that I own), for him to sign. Couldn't find it anywhere. In a real panic. Eventually I give up and go next door to be told by someone that Jimi had left. Feeling very dejected, I returned to the room. You came by and I told you what had happened. You went over to the shelves where all the albums were and straight away found the one I was looking for. I'm thinking "how could I have not seen it there"? Then I woke up out of breath like I'd just ran a marathon.
Just to rub it in over your dream Floyd, I was told that the actor John Hurt kept coming into my workplace, planned ahead for when it would happen again by bringing my DVD of 'Midnight Express' in, politely presented it to him which he autographed, sold him some fish, directed him to where they sell the posh whisky then went home with my signed Midnight Express and it wasn't even a dream so suck on that one :p.

So I was in your dream?.. In the interest of precog lucid staring at goats research, did you form a picture of what I look like?

So I was in your dream?.. In the interest of precog lucid staring at goats research, did you form a picture of what I look like?
You lot turn up quite often these last few months.

No, when it happens there isn't a face - I just know who it is. Sometimes though, the avatar of the person is there in my mind as well.

Maybe one day when one of you turn up who I know what you look like, I'll picture the actual features of that person, but it's not happened yet.

I nearly posted my dream on Sunday morning but changed my mind. I wish I'd done it now.

This UK man discovered a library book that was 84 years overdue, returned it, and paid the fine (at 1938 rates).
Man returns overdue library book checked out by his grandfather 84 years ago

A British library said a book that was 84 years overdue was returned by the late patron's grandson -- and he paid the $21.14 late fee.

The Earlsdon Carnegie Community Library in Coventry, England, said a man named Paddy Riordan recently visited the library to return a copy of Red Deer by Richard Jefferies. ...

The book had been checked out 84 years earlier by Riordan's grandfather, William Harrison. Riordan told library officials he found the book among the belongings of his recently deceased mother.

The library said Riordan made a donation to the facility totaling $21.14 -- the amount of late fees the book would have accumulated at the rate used in 1938.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/1...unity-Library-84-years-overdue/2351666900707/

Here's an epic lost and found story ... It took two expeditions and some creative re-analysis of a glacier's movements, but a team of Canadian researchers finally succeeded in locating a cache of cameras and films abandoned by a 1937 Yukon expedition.
85 Years After It Was Abandoned, Explorers Find a Historic Cache of Camera Gear

In 1937, legendary aerial photographer and cartographer Bradford Washburn abandoned hundreds of pounds of camera gear, surveying equipment, and supplies when he ran into bad weather while exploring Canada's frigid Yukon region.

In August, 85 years later, a team of scientists and professional mountain explorers discovered the long-lost historic cache of gear buried in the ice on the remote Walsh Glacier.

Eight decades ago, Washburn and fellow explorer Robert Bates were attempting to climb Mount Lucania in the Saint Elias Mountains when bad weather forced them to leave the heavy camera equipment behind.

In late April 2022, professional big-mountain skier Griffin Post set out on a three-week expedition onto the glacier – located within Canada's Kluane National Park and Reserve – along with other adventurers and scientists, to hunt down the location of the cameras.

"I was hopeful, but I knew that it was akin to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack," Post said in a press release. "A lot can happen in 85 years on a glacier."

Dora Medrzycka, a University of Ottawa glaciologist, was tapped to travel to the site and map out the glacier, to determine where the gear could have moved over time.

"They essentially needed help to figure out how the glacier is moving and what's the best way of finding the cache," Medrzycka told Insider. ...

The team didn't find the cameras until a second, shorter trip out to the glacier in August.

"We were pretty much close to giving up because all our efforts were just giving us nothing," Medrzycka said.

On the penultimate day of the trip, Medrzycka came up with a new theory about where the artifacts might be located. ...

[This] allowed her to calculate a new estimate of where the items might be, which was three or four miles further down the valley and approximately 14 miles away from the spot where Washburn had left them.

Her hunch ultimately led the team to the missing gear. "It was an amazing feeling, and I felt relief that I didn't fail at finding the cache," Medrzycka said, adding, "It was an epic moment for everyone."

Weeks later, archaeologists from Parks Canada returned to the glacier with the expedition team to extract the camera from the ice. The team found a significant portion of Washburn's Fairchild F-8 aerial camera, with two motion picture cameras with film still loaded inside, hiking poles, tents, and other survival gear. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/85-yea...xplorers-find-a-historic-cache-of-camera-gear

A large section of the ill-fated Space Shuttle Challenger has been discovered and identified on the ocean floor.
Section of destroyed shuttle Challenger found on ocean floor

A large section of the destroyed space shuttle Challenger has been found buried in sand at the bottom of the Atlantic, more than three decades after the tragedy that killed a schoolteacher and six others. ...

It’s one of the biggest pieces of Challenger found in the decades since the accident ... , and the first remnant to be discovered since two fragments from the left wing washed ashore in 1996.

Divers for a TV documentary first spotted the piece in March while looking for wreckage of a World War II plane. NASA verified through video a few months ago that the piece was part of the shuttle that broke apart shortly after liftoff on Jan. 28, 1986. ...

The piece is more than 15 feet by 15 feet (4.5 meters by 4.5 meters); it’s likely bigger because part of it is covered with sand. Because there are square thermal tiles on the piece, it’s believed to be from the shuttle’s belly ...

The fragment remains on the ocean floor just off the Florida coast near Cape Canaveral as NASA determines the next step. It remains the property of the U.S. government. The families of all seven Challenger crew members have been notified. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/challenger-space-shuttle-found-in-ocean-064e47171452894d6494f142fea26126

Lost 8th century Japanese medical text by Buddhist monk has been found

The practice of herbal medicine in Japan is known as Kampo, and such treatments are often prescribed alongside Western medicines (and covered by the national health care system). The first person to teach traditional Chinese medicine in Japan was an 8th century Buddhist monk named Jianzhen (Ganjin in Japanese), who collected some 1,200 prescriptions in a book: Jianshangren (Holy Priest Jianzhen)'s Secret Prescription. The text was believed lost for centuries, but the authors of a recent paper published in the journal Compounds stumbled across a book published in 2009 that includes most of Jianzhen's original prescriptions.

monk1-800x535.jpg

Born in what is now Yangzhou, China, Jianzhen became a disciple of Dayun Temple at 14 years old, eventually becoming abbot of Daming Temple. He was also known to have medical expertise—passed down from monks to disciples for generations—and even opened a hospital within the temple. In the fall of 742, a Japanese emissary invited Jianzhen to lecture in Japan, and the monk agreed.

Jianzhen made it to Kyushu in December 748, reaching Nara the following spring, where the monk received a warm welcome from the emperor.

According to the authors, Jianzhen brought many traditional ingredients with him to Japan, including musk, agarwood, snail, rosin, dipterocarp, fragrant gall, sucrose, benzoin, incense, and dutchman's pipe root, as well as honey and sugar cane.

[Researchers] wanted to learn more about the types of medicines and formulations Jianzhen brought with him to Japan, so they undertook an extensive review of the existing literature, searching in Chinese, Japanese, and English. That's how they stumbled upon a 2009 book entitled Three Treasures Be Published. It turns out that before he left for Japan, Jianzhen gave a copy of his many prescriptions to one of his disciples, a monk named Lingyou. The text passed through 52 subsequent generations, until Lingyou's descendent, Lei Yutian, decided to organize all the prescriptions into his 2009 book.

The text is not entirely intact, containing 766 of the original 1,200 prescriptions, including recipes for soups, powders, pills, ointments, and rice wine. But it's nonetheless a treasure trove of new information.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...medical-text-by-buddhist-monk-has-been-found/

maximus otter

Someone anonymously returned a San Antonio area library's cassette of a Lennon / McCartney interview that was 44 years overdue.
Beatles cassette returned to Texas library was 44 years overdue

A library in Texas said employees recently found something unexpected in the drop box -- a Beatles cassette tape that had been checked out 44 years earlier.

The San Antonio Public Library said the tape, a recording of an interview with Beatles members John Lennon and Paul McCartney, was left anonymously in a book return drop box recently. ...

Librarians determined the cassette had been checked out from the Westfall Branch Library more than four decades earlier. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/1...texas-library-44-years-overdue/5981669240594/

Woman missing for 51 years is reunited with her family after being kidnapped as a baby

A woman who was kidnapped by her babysitter and reported missing for 51 years has finally been found by her parents.

Single-mum Alta needed help and quickly hired a woman, without ever meeting her, after she applied for the job.

The mum's roommate then handed over baby Melissa to the babysitter who allegedly kidnapped her and took her away from her family for 51 years.

Melissa's family reported Alta missing to the police but she was never found by authorities
In recent times, there was a Facebook page dedicated to finding the missing baby, which was called “Finding Melissa Highsmith.”

However, in September, the family of Melissa were given a tip-off that she was living in Charleston, South Carolina.

Despite being more than 1,00 miles away from Fort Worth the family used a 23andMe DNA test which revealed she was the young baby that was adducted from her family 51 years ago.

It is still unclear what happened to the babysitter who allegedly kidnapper Melissa - but sister Sharon says she's just thankful she has been found.

Sharon said: “My mom did the best she could with the limited resources she had – she couldn’t risk getting fired, so she trusted the person who said they’d care for her child.
1669719641818.png

Back