• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things Left (Or Found) In A Hotel Room

CygnusRex

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Following on from an earlier thread entitled "Strangest thing you've ever woken up with"

I recently had to stay in a hotel room (boring conference) and was delighted to find that the previous occupant had appeared to have been attempting to create a toasted cheese sandwich using two slices of bread, some processed cheese, and the trouser press, he had also gone through the Gidians Bible and hi-lited all the references to sex

How the 2 things are related, I have no idea

So what are the strangest things you've found?

When I was little (around 7) I was really into the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I had one figure from a car boot sale and it didnt have any of the bits to go with it. I really wanted the shield to go with it. I remember telling my parents to look out in case they found one in the streets :rolleyes: Then after a holiday staying in a chalet in West Wales I was checking the room before we left for anything I might have left behind and there, under the bed was the exact shield to go with my figure!

I was well chuffed at the time :D

Bisto, that reminds me of when I went to the Isle of Wite when I was about 7 or 8. At the time, I collected novelty pencil erasers (I had over 100). Under the bed, in my chalet, I found another one to add to my collection. Nothing amazing, but just thought I'd share that with you, as been as we're on the subject:D

From artificial legs to pythons, bizarre things left behind in public places

Sunday, September 12, 2004 By JENNIFER MASTROIANNI

... Personal items frequently are forgotten in hotel rooms. Philip Dumot, general manager of Belden Village Holiday Inn, discovered a shocker a few years ago when he was the manager of a Sandusky hotel.

“Housekeeping called me and said, ‘Mr. Dumot, we have an issue. A guest left something behind. Maybe you want to come down and have a look.’”

“I went in to look, pulled back the sheets and guess what it was. A 9-foot white python.”

No one claimed the snake.

“We looked at the registration card and (the name) was erroneous,” Dumot said. “My chef took it home for a pet.” ...
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobiles top hotel lost items list

Artificial legs and the keys to a £250,000 Ferrari car were among the more unusual items left behind in hotel rooms in the UK last year.
An inventory of the lost property offices of the 290 hotels of one chain suggests mobile phones and chargers are the items forgotten most often.

Clothing, false teeth, laptop computers and gadgets like MP3 players were also high on the list from Travelodge.

About six million people stayed at the group's properties in 2005.

TOP 10 FORGOTTEN ITEMS
Mobile phone and chargers
Clothing items
Toiletries
False teeth
Laptops
Electrical gadgets
Cash/credit card
Jewellery/watches
Hen/stag night accessories
Keys
Source: Travelodge

"We are more baffled than ever by this year's assortment of items left in our rooms," said Travelodge chief operating officer Guy Parsons.

Travelodge said "Bridget Jones-style knickers", a last will and testament and 30 dolls of TV's Power Ranger characters were among the other "bizarre" items found.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4595402.stm

Worker returns €50,000 to forgetful hotel guest

ROB CRILLY in Islamabad

Mon, Jul 12, 2010

A HOUSEKEEPER at a hotel in Pakistan has returned $50,000 to an absent-minded development worker who left the cash bundled in a bag in his room.

Politicians have proclaimed Essa Khan a “national hero” for his honesty and are planning to honour the hotel worker.

They hope his deeds will prove a shot in the arm for the country’s tourism industry after years in the doldrums, reminding overseas visitors of Pakistan’s traditional hospitality.

Mr Khan, who earns only 25,000 rupees (£200) a year, said he found the money when he inspected the room before another guest moved in.

It had been forgotten in the room’s safe deposit box.

“He had checked out and it was my job to check the room,” he said by telephone. “It was just there so I immediately reported it.”

Mr Khan (50) has worked for the past 20 years at the Gilgit Serena Hotel, which stands at the foot of the Karakoram mountains in northern Pakistan. He said that he was never tempted to keep the cash.

Hotel staff managed to track down the guest, who works for the Japan International Co-operation Agency, at another hotel.

Rashid Uddin, the hotel’s general manager, said the Japanese man came in the next day, and it was easy to see from the look on his face just how relieved he was.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/0712/1224274513671.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 13671.html

Gold teeth at Bridgend Travelodge among odd finds

Gold dentures worth £6,500 are among the oddest items left behind by guests at a hotel chain.
Travelodge said the false teeth, found at its Bridgend hotel, rank alongside a life-size Dalek and an antique rocking horse also found in rooms in the UK.

Other items included a £50,000 diamond-encrusted Rolex watch and £10,000 in cash left in a dustbin.
"Our lost and found departments provide plenty of revelations," a spokesperson for the hotel said.

Also on the hotel chain's list of the most mysterious objects left behind during 2010 were keys to a Rolls-Royce Phantom car in Chester, Cheshire, a Hermes handbag worth £8,000 in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, and a 4ft (1.2m) tall yam (vegetable) in Cambridge.

A suitcase of royal memorabilia dating back to Victorian times was found at the hotel's Gatwick Airport branch and a Bengal kitten called Tiger at London Docklands.

The firm said it found over 20,000 books in its vacated hotel rooms, and said the books most commonly left behind were autobiographies of X Factor mogul Simon Cowell and TV presenters Ant and Dec. :twisted:

In addition, in the last 12 months hotel staff had reunited 75,000 forgotten cuddly bears with their owners, said the chain.

Jon Hendry-Pickup, Travelodge operations director, said: "Our customers' left behinds demonstrate what a broad cross-section of people stay in our hotels.
"The 2010 left-behind inventory report also demonstrated that we are truly living in a digital world."

Mr Hendry-Pickup said there had been a huge rise in left-behind portable computer and communication devices and accessories.

From this month, all items left behind at its hotels that have not been claimed within three months will be donated to Cancer Research UK charity shops across the UK, said the chain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12123119

Here's a sample of some odd items guests left behind at UK Travelodges in 2021.
Tesla car, golf trolley and drone are some of the bizarre items left behind at Kent's Travelodge hotels

A Tesla car that ran out of charge, a set of kaleidoscopes and a golf trolley are just a few of the bizarre items found by Travelodge staff after they were forgotten by guests across Kent. ...

With 12 hotels across the county, some of the unusual treasures that were left behind included a box of wedding cards which was left in a room in Sandwich.

A set of kaleidoscopes was forgotten at the Maidstone Central hotel and a DJI Phantom 4 Drone was found at the Medway M2 hotel.

A Stewart golf trolley was left in Tunbridge Wells. ...

A family tree album managed to get left behind in Sittingbourne, a set of large lights saying 'John' was forgotten at the Rochester Travelodge and a large balloon arch was left at the Chatham Maritime hotel. ...

A suitcase of business receipts was forgotten in Ashford and astonishingly, a Tesla car that ran out of charge was left in Sandwich and six bottles of jeroboam’s Bollinger champagne were found by staff at in the Ashford Town Centre's Travelodge.

A Vera Wang wedding dress was left behind at the Canterbury Chaucer Central Travelodge as well as Holy water from Lourdes.

A cake in the shape of Canterbury Cathedral was forgotten at the Canterbury Dunkirk Central Travelodge along with a large collection of snow globes. ...

A set of diamond cufflinks, a crystal nativity and a large 6ft cuddly giraffe was left at the Canterbury Whitstable Central hotel.

An important marriage certificate was left at the Ashford Travelodge and a business plan for a new product launch, along with a designer sketch book, was left in Sandwich. ...

With the Staycation being a top holiday choice in 2021, Travelodge hotel staff reported a significant rise in items being left behind in their hotels. ...

"This year’s lost and found audit includes a rise in holiday themed items, wedding props, precious sentimental items, smart gadgets and beloved pets." ...

All items left behind in hotel rooms that are not been claimed within three months are donated to the British Heart Foundation Charity Shops, Travelodge’s nominated charity partner.
FULL STORY: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/travelodge-guest-leaves-behind-tesla-car-260474/

Here's a sample of some odd items guests left behind at UK Travelodges in 2021.

FULL STORY: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/travelodge-guest-leaves-behind-tesla-car-260474/

Who - if anyone - proofread that article, Mr. Magoo?

“A family tree album managed to get left behind…”

How cunning of it!

“…six bottles of jeroboam’s Bollinger champagne…”

A Jeroboam is a large bottle of champagne.

“…a large 6ft cuddly giraffe…”

Instead of a small six-foot giraffe?

“An important marriage certificate…”

As opposed to a trivial marriage certificate?

Jules: “English, [mammypumper]: Do you speak it?”

maximus otter

cake in the shape of Canterbury Cathedral was forgotten at the Canterbury Dunkirk Central Travelodge along with a large collection of snow globes. ...

Obviously Left by Russian agents.

We found a cat in a cat carrier left behind in a cloakroom after a matinee. Major discussions with the cloakroom attendant and with the owners, who called THE NEXT DAY, by which time the cat had been completely outfitted, been taken home for the night , and was being fought over for adoption. I was the one who voted not to give it back.

Cathedrals seem to be a common theme:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/strange-items-left-behind-at-norwich-travelodges-8612706

Strange items left at Norfolk Travelodge hotels in 2021​

A magic wand, top hat, and box of magic tricks
A panto script
A bottle of holy water from Lourdes
A pair of 6ft blossom trees
Deeds to a new house
A tiffany bangle
A large canary bird toy
A brief case containing programmes from Norwich City FC games
Model of Norwich Cathedral
An oil painting of a spaniel dog

Back