• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost In Space

One episode to go... really racing through this, not like me at all. I read a couple of lukewarm reviews, and I'd agree it's no classic, but it is better than many a gritty reboot and obviously has a lot of cash behind it, good enough for a movie. I'm liking the twists, though they are a bit convenient to keep the plot rumbling along.

There might be a DVD or Blu-ray at some point, keep an eye on Amazon. The Marvel stuff and Kimmy Schmidt got the disc treatment, though I doubt Stranger Things ever will.

I'm halfway through the remake TV series, and I'm quite enjoying it. Nice to see intelligence valued in a science fiction series, and Parker is a lot more subtle than I expected but still acting everyone else off the screen. Nice to see Bill Mumy as the real Doctor Smith (!). While the Robot in the original never said "Danger, Will Robinson!" here it's the only thing it can say. The design reminded me of Hector from Saturn 3 (but that's the only reason - no naked Kirk Douglases here). I'm liking it better than Stranger Things or The Punisher. The redo of the John Williams theme tune is great, truly stirring. Give it a go, it's not bad. The Robinsons are incredibly accident-prone, mind you.

I binged the whole series at the weekend. I'd also agree that it's no classic; not brilliant but not awful either. The kids could have been irritating, but aren't, despite their seemingly smartarse scientific knowledge. Parker Posey does a nice take on the Dr Smith character. Robot's rather good. And yes, the Robinsons are seemingly dogged by ill fortune. If I was still on the Resolute, I'd be kind of glad to see the back of them.

PS - the Robot in the original did, however, say "Danger, Will Robinson, danger!"

I binged the whole series at the weekend. I'd also agree that it's no classic; not brilliant but not awful either. The kids could have been irritating, but aren't, despite their seemingly smartarse scientific knowledge. Parker Posey does a nice take on the Dr Smith character. Robot's rather good. And yes, the Robinsons are seemingly dogged by ill fortune. If I was still on the Resolute, I'd be kind of glad to see the back of them.

PS - the Robot in the original did, however, say "Danger, Will Robinson, danger!"
Indeed.

I think the writing was nicely handled, every set-up getting a satisfying payoff, which must be something they teach in writer's school but is not always applied. Plus it looked very good, and they're obviously hoping for a second season.

I always thought the Robot said "Warning! Warning!"

For those that didn't know (or care), Billy Mumy (original Will) was one half of duo Barnes and Barnes who released the delightfully surreal late-70s hit Fish Heads.

Below is the equally surreal accompanying video, directed by and starring aspiring film-maker of the time, Bill Paxton:

For those that didn't know (or care), Billy Mumy (original Will) was one half of duo Barnes and Barnes who released the delightfully surreal late-70s hit Fish Heads.

Below is the equally surreal accompanying video, directed by and starring aspiring film-maker of the time, Bill Paxton:

I remember that!

Annie Nightingale Request Show classic!

There's gonna be a season 2. Let's hope it gets more psychedelic. This series holds the record for the fastest time of me watching a Netflix show, so they must have been doing something right.

I thought all in all it was pretty good. Struck a good balance. As much about a community as it is a family, but obviously the Robinsons are front and centre of it all.

For the videogames minded among you, the robot looks very reminiscent of The Geth from Mass Effect.

Geth.jpg

In fact, in all honesty, anybody who played through Mass Effect Andromeda last year will feel very clear vibes of that throughout this series. Only this series gets space exploration right. Andromeda fell short (in my opinion).

It's not a must see. It's not brilliant. But it's a solidly good series, and has the potential to get much better from here. Just like GNC I gt through this one really quickly. It was compelling and enjoyable. I look forward to seeing where thy go with it.

Attachments

• Geth_only_-_synthesis.png
    Geth_only_-_synthesis.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 13

He also wrote an obscure Marvel comic series called Comet Man in the mid-late 80s. If I remember correctly, Marvel promoted it by saying it was a comic about space written by someone who'd actually been there!

Just when we thought that was the last we'd hear from the Robinsons, they've only gone and done season 2:

Anyone else willing Wonderful World to turn into the theme tune while watching that trailer? Anyway, it's Netflix's Christmas present this year (along with their Santa cartoon, I suppose).

Started on s2 tonight. Beginning to wonder if I'm watching it because I really like the arrangement of the theme tune. Will see if I can bingewatch this season like the last one.

Finished s2. Enjoyed it more than many seem to, it has been swamped by The Witcher, though. Not sure I'd relish another season if it's about
a bunch of little kids on the Jupiter 2. But maybe Dr Smith is there too?
Parker Posey is a great villain, even if they did try to make her a goodie. Overall, nothing classic, but maybe demonstrates throwing enough money at something will make up for other... deficiencies.

Finished s2. Enjoyed it more than many seem to, it has been swamped by The Witcher, though. Not sure I'd relish another season if it's about
a bunch of little kids on the Jupiter 2. But maybe Dr Smith is there too?
Parker Posey is a great villain, even if they did try to make her a goodie. Overall, nothing classic, but maybe demonstrates throwing enough money at something will make up for other... deficiencies.

I'm finding it a bit so so but I'll see it through. Great special effects though.

I'm finding it a bit so so but I'll see it through. Great special effects though.

Yeah, it's as slick as you like, but I wish it was a bit more wacky, like the original. Or was the original more tacky?

I generally found it a little too formulaic, this season. But it's hard to put into specifics why it didn't quite connect with me in the way that it did in the first season. I do suspect that the advent of The Witcher so shortly before it may have played a part in it, though.

Season 3 arrives this Wednesday:

I'm a little surprised they committed to more, but I guess content is content. Seems to be a year late, too. They have stipulated it's the last, no more after this.

Back