• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
the countries that MH370 is claimed to have flown over or close to — Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Australia
I see the writer's point, but I'm not sure this is very accurate.
IIRC, Thailand was the only airspace crossed, so maybe theirs is relevant. The plane certainly came nowhere near Oz.

We're used to googlemapping for flat geography, and maps generally give extremely poor ideas about the dimensions of airspace. Even less so that picture of south Asia with a red tracking line we're so used to using for flight direction reference in this case. The puzzle is a lot more complex from the ground.

So to sum it all up. no one has a clue, they don't even (or won't say) say that the Malaysian Radar was 100% accurate or even if it had picked up the plane, strange how that information came out a couple of days after the flight was reported missing, regardless of known (and pretty rare) faults to some Iphones, some people were ringing and the call was not going straight to voicemail as it would if the phone was off or out of range, however most people turn airplane mode on or the phone off on flights

It seems to me that to use a political metaphor the zone has been flooded with contrary information, and quite deliberately in my opinion it's a good way of hiding the truth, but what would the reason be for hiding the truth who benefits? Unless the truth if far too shocking for the world to hear about

It seems to me that to use a political metaphor the zone has been flooded with contrary information, and quite deliberately in my opinion it's a good way of hiding the truth, but what would the reason be for hiding the truth who benefits? Unless the truth if far too shocking for the world to hear about
Welcome to The Age Of Lies. Obfuscation is one of the children of Greed.

I see the writer's point, but I'm not sure this is very accurate.
IIRC, Thailand was the only airspace crossed, so maybe theirs is relevant. The plane certainly came nowhere near Oz.
Personally, I agree, even after reading the article I posted. One of the few things we know for sure is that wreckage has definitely washed up in Africa and has been positively ID'd. At the time or the incident there was an article saying, unsensationally, that the whole scenario was completely consistent with pilot suicide/murder and the incident itself was almost certainly that, with the passengers and other crew killed swiftly by depressurization. Mundane, but simplest fit.

That said, I'd hate this to be another one of those things that has the waters so muddied, it's a trial to even get to the known facts. The pipeline sabotage in the Baltic is rapidly heading that way.

MH370: The Plane That Disappeared: Still confused myself. Maybe the passengers and crew are still held captive in Kazakhstan by some Bond style Super Villain. Hmmm.

Or maybe it was shot down y US fighter jets after AWACs failed to get it to divert to one of their bases. Apparently it was carrying Western spy equipment that China wanted. A bit unlikely. Then there was the guy who kept finding pieces of wreckage of the plane. No matter where he went he woukd swiftly find a new piece. Heh!

Did the pilot commit suicide/mass murder? At the very least that deserves a Not Proven verdict.I still feel we're not getting the full story though,the official reports are wanting in detail.

It was an informative series and I'm glad they kept it to three episodes instead of spinning it out. Directed by Louise Malkinson On Netflix. 7/10.

It still is one of the greatest mysteries, but like I have said it's been made all the more mysterious by all the misinformation, for all we know it might have been taken by aliens or swallowed up by a time vortex (whatever one of those is) it's all about as likely as the other theories

Sadly I don't think we will ever know the truth and probably only a handful of people do

Bad taste jokes?

A US comedian who offended Malaysian authorities with a joke about missing flight MH370 says the reaction from officials has been "overblown".

Jocelyn Chia told the BBC she was "not making fun of tragedy" and victims, but was trying to find humour in tragedy.

Malaysian police said they would ask Interpol to locate Ms Chia, as they investigate her for incitement and offensive online content.
Ms Chia - who grew up in Singapore - called involving Interpol "ridiculous".

Interpol has not responded to questions from the BBC on whether it would act on the request for assistance from Malaysian police. Ms Chia had joked in a viral video that Malaysian jets "cannot fly", referring to the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared in 2014 - a sensitive topic in the country.

She said her joke had been "taken out of context when consumed on social media".

"I have [performed this routine] hundreds of times and even did a shorter version of it in Singapore. It always cracks the audience up. I wouldn't have used it again if it didn't work," she said.

Ms Chia said "roasting" or poking fun at the audience is part of comedy club culture in New York, where she is now based. She said American comics have in the past used the September 11 terror attacks as fodder for their jokes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65900089

Bad taste jokes?

A US comedian who offended Malaysian authorities with a joke about missing flight MH370 says the reaction from officials has been "overblown".

Jocelyn Chia told the BBC she was "not making fun of tragedy" and victims, but was trying to find humour in tragedy.

Malaysian police said they would ask Interpol to locate Ms Chia, as they investigate her for incitement and offensive online content.
Ms Chia - who grew up in Singapore - called involving Interpol "ridiculous".

Interpol has not responded to questions from the BBC on whether it would act on the request for assistance from Malaysian police. Ms Chia had joked in a viral video that Malaysian jets "cannot fly", referring to the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared in 2014 - a sensitive topic in the country.

She said her joke had been "taken out of context when consumed on social media".

"I have [performed this routine] hundreds of times and even did a shorter version of it in Singapore. It always cracks the audience up. I wouldn't have used it again if it didn't work," she said.

Ms Chia said "roasting" or poking fun at the audience is part of comedy club culture in New York, where she is now based. She said American comics have in the past used the September 11 terror attacks as fodder for their jokes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65900089
Bad taste? Yes, clearly.

Illegal? I'd like to think not and that the BBC tells Interpol to take a hike. That said, Interpol should have told the Malaysian Police to take a hike - that's surely not Interpol's raison d'être.

Doing the rounds on Twitter today:

Unverified (could be complete bullshit or cgi) footage, both thermal & satellite, which shows three orbs surrounding an aircraft (which may be MH370) which them vanishes in mid air.

Incidentally, due to problems with Qantas last week, my wife and I took 2 flights on Malaysia Airlines (Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Kuala Lumpur - Sydney) and survived. No aliens, UFOs sights and no anal probings took place.

Unverified (could be complete bullshit or cgi) footage, both thermal & satellite, which shows three orbs surrounding an aircraft (which may be MH370) which them vanishes in mid air.

I saw this shared by Uri Geller today. One valid question someone asked him in response was how a US spy satellite managed to get side-on footage of a plane.

Doing the rounds on Twitter today:

Incidentally, due to problems with Qantas last week, my wife and I took 2 flights on Malaysia Airlines (Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Kuala Lumpur - Sydney) and survived. No aliens, UFOs sights and no anal probings took place.

USA-184 (from the video caption) is a signals intelligence satellite, not an optical platform.

maximus otter

Malaysia Airlines is not having a good day. Flight MH122 from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur today was turned back after an unruly passenger caused concern for the crew.

AFP (Australian Federal Police) officers attend Sydney Airport as emergency incident unfolds​

A man who forced a Malaysia Airlines plane to make a dramatic turn back to Sydney International Airport after he became unruly and made references to Islam has been arrested.
The MH122 Airbus-a330 flight to Kuala Lumpur was diverted back to Sydney and was isolated on the tarmac with AFP officers called to the emergency just before 4pm on Monday.

A video of a man on-board the flight showed him talking to a member of the flight crew.

The man, who had a black backpack close by, was heard in the video saying: “My name is Mohammed, slave of Allah.”

“Are you a slave of Allah? Are you? Say it. Say it! Are you a slave of Allah?” the man continued, seemingly asking a flight attendant.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...s/news-story/902c5e6afc59758c2c5020dc7f06575c

Clue could finally reveal location of doomed flight MH370

Scientists have hailed a “breakthrough” theory – based on barnacles clinging to plane debris – to solve one of aviation’s biggest mysteries.

A new study suggests the small crustaceans’ shells can be analysed to show where they first got attached to the wrecked aircraft.

The new study has been led by University of South Florida evolutionary biology professor Gregory Herbert.

Professor Herbert explained how the daily-grown shells produce internal layers like tree rings, which indicate what the surrounding water temperature was like when formed.

The team worked with experts from Ireland’s University of Galway to compare the shells with analysis of where the debris drifted.

Professor Herbert says some of the earliest barnacles have helped them “reconstruct a complete drift path back to the crash origin”.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...0/news-story/ccd2153a1af1e062d8b5ba562f30b796

maximus otter

Clue could finally reveal location of doomed flight MH370

Scientists have hailed a “breakthrough” theory – based on barnacles clinging to plane debris – to solve one of aviation’s biggest mysteries.

A new study suggests the small crustaceans’ shells can be analysed to show where they first got attached to the wrecked aircraft.

The new study has been led by University of South Florida evolutionary biology professor Gregory Herbert.

Professor Herbert explained how the daily-grown shells produce internal layers like tree rings, which indicate what the surrounding water temperature was like when formed.

The team worked with experts from Ireland’s University of Galway to compare the shells with analysis of where the debris drifted.

Professor Herbert says some of the earliest barnacles have helped them “reconstruct a complete drift path back to the crash origin”.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...0/news-story/ccd2153a1af1e062d8b5ba562f30b796

maximus otter
Are they 100% sure that the debris found is from MH370?

Three pieces of aircraft have been found in the Indian Ocean which have been confirmed to be from the flight by their serial numbers; twenty-four (24) other pieces have been found which are not numbered, but which are either highly likely or likely to come from this flight.
Here are some of them.
170308125546-gfx-mh370-debris-found.jpg

Three pieces of aircraft have been found in the Indian Ocean which have been confirmed to be from the flight by their serial numbers; twenty-four (24) other pieces have been found which are not numbered, but which are either highly likely or likely to come from this flight.
Here are some of them.
170308125546-gfx-mh370-debris-found.jpg
You can't imagine there are too many Boeing 777 flap track fairings, engine cowlings and horizontal stabilizers kicking around the Indian ocean. I'm guessing they don't fall off too often...

I do hope that the professor's work bears dividends, but even then I'm guessing the search area will be pretty substantial - even if much smaller than the entire Indian Ocean...

It would be good for everybody to have answers.

From today's Australian news headlines:

Aviation expert ‘confident’ researchers closing in on MH370 crash site​

An aviation expert believes new research into the disappearance of flight MH370 will finally shed light on the years-long mystery.
One of aviation's greatest mysteries might soon be solved after researchers revealed what could be the final resting place of flight MH370.
The Malaysia Airlines aeroplane disappeared about 38 minutes after leaving Kuala Lumpur airport en route to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

Despite a frantic search by governments and private companies, the plane was never found and the fate of its 237 passengers remains unknown.

A 229-page report released on Wednesday now suggests the missing wreckage could be located about 1560km west of Perth.

MH370 THEORIES & CONSPIRACIES​

THEORIES
1. Flight MH370 was crashed into the Southern Indian Ocean in a mass murder suicide plot orchestrated by 53-year-old pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, who rehearsed the ditching on his home flight simulator. The suspected final flight mirrored what was found on his simulator, including the flight passed his hometown Penang. Theory is he either consciously controlled the ditching or set controls to autopilot with the aircraft running out of fuel and crashing.
2. The so-called “Ghost plane” theory has the aircraft suddenly depressurising by accident while captain is on a break, leading a panicked co-pilot in charge, the crisis killing all in 15 minutes in a mass hypoxia event.
3. Hijacking by a passenger in a terrorist act takes over aircraft and orders it to fly to another destination.
4. A deadly cargo combination of fruit and batteries turned the aircraft into a flying bomb. MH370 carried 5 tons of mangosteens along with 221kg of lithium-ion batteries although investigators specifically dismissed the theory.
5. The captain wanted to create the world’s greatest mystery. Egypt Air flight MS804 vanished over Mediterranean in 2016, MH370 vanished exactly 804 days later

CONSPIRACIES
1. A northern landing to an unknown location to take all passengers hostage
2. Aircraft was cyber hacked and piloted remotely by a country fearing vital information was being delivered to China on that flight. Theory based on 20 passengers being from a company that worked with the US intelligence National Security Agency
3. The aircraft can be seen by Google lying in a remote Cambodian jungle
4. The emergence of a second Bermuda Triangle with the loss of MH370 being on the exact global opposite side of the fabled Northern Atlantic site
5. Five per cent of Americans surveyed believed the aircraft was taken by Aliens
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...e/news-story/b8e70d0f569362fdd6accccfb806c8f7

MH370 breakthrough as fisherman claims to have pulled up wing of plane

A new lead on the whereabouts of the missing flight MH370 could have come from a fisherman who claims he found the wing of the plane years ago.

Last year, fisherman Kit Olver [said] that, in 2014, he was working off the south coast of Australia when his net struggled to pull something out of the water.

The now 77-year-old said he fished 'a bloody great wing of a big jet airliner' out of the sea and is certain it wasn't from a smaller vessel - explaining that he had a pilot's licence for small aircraft in his younger days.

Unable to get the plane wing out of their nets and without the space to bring it on board, Currie said Olver gave the order to cut the net free.

Olver claimed he'd tried to alert the authorities as to his find but alleged that he either received no reply or was told he'd found a piece of a sunken shipping container.

Underwater surveyor Peter Waring said if they could get accurate coordinates from Olver then a search could be carried out within days, and said that a plane wing could have drifted differently to other pieces of debris.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/world...children-mh370-flight-tracked-487006-20230902

maximus otter

There was a doc on UK's Channel 5 last night, doing a roundup 10 years on.

And the beeb showed their '10 years on' programme tonight, on iplayer here: Why Planes Vanish: The Hunt for MH370
Some 'new evidence' they offer is the WSPR radio signals tracking announced by Richard Godfrey over two years ago. They do say that his method is being investigated by team at Liverpool University which sounded like an ongoing thing.

From yesterdays Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) News:

It's been a decade since a Malaysia Airlines flight disappeared with 239 people on board, six of them Australians.An Australian-led underwater search found no trace of MH370. We hear from a senior member of that team who believes the outcome could have been different if another agency had been in charge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...an-airlines-flight-mh370-boeing-b2513071.html

Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall but Slashdot has provided a summary:

This week the Independent also reported a new theory from a British pilot:
Simon Hardy believes that the Malaysian Airlines flight plan and technical log reveal last-minute changes to the cargo including an additional 3,000kg of fuel and extra oxygen that indicate Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah directed the plane "to oblivion... It's a strange coincidence that the last engineering task that was done before it headed off to oblivion was topping up crew oxygen which is only for the cockpit, not for the cabin crew...."

Hardy also said that the flaperon found on Reunion Island indicates there was an active pilot until the end of the flight: "If the flaps were down, there is a liquid fuel, then someone is moving a lever and it's someone who knows what they are doing. It all points to the same scenario."

Back