• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost Paths & Roads

I'm wondering if you're remembering the stretch north of Caesarea where the railway swings back towards the coast. That area was (and still looks like it is) quite undeveloped too, from Nasholim up to Haifa.

Also there was a short stretch just south of Acre that used to run very close to the beach and over the Na'aman river (the line has since been straightened and moved inland here now as the old bridge needed replacing). Maybe that bit stuck in your mind too.

Edit to say: The reason I mentioned the bit just south of Acre was in case you had maybe once carried on up to Nahariya.
I definitely remember the coast between Nahariya and Rosh Hanikra.

I guess it is from a car window.

I agree, north of Caesarea is quite underdeveloped.

Anyone live near Hadrian's Wall or have it on their property??

I used to live on another large earthwork.

A family member claimed to have had some interesting responses, visions, whatever, at a place where a lane cut through it. It did have a sort of grim feel to it, though that might just be memories of walking that way on dark winter evenings.

Last edited:
I was out walking with the dog today and took a photo which reminded me of this thread. It's not a lost road, it's just a forest bridleway, but I found myself quoting the poem at the start of the thread as soon as I saw it.
thewaythroughthewoods.jpg

I went to Hell Lane today, near Colmer’s Hill in Dorset. It’s supposed to be one of the best examples of a Dorset holloway, or sunken road; at some points it’s 10m below the surrounding land. Lots of carvings into the ancient walls, it was a beautiful walk. Despite the enticing name I think it refers to the sandstone it’s cut into rather than anything more sinister….
B6911D4F-7ABB-4CDE-87E8-DFE274125B1A.jpeg
8E1BACF7-D6CE-4981-8963-DF750FB47304.jpeg

I went to Hell Lane today, near Colmer’s Hill in Dorset. It’s supposed to be one of the best examples of a Dorset holloway, or sunken road; at some points it’s 10m below the surrounding land. Lots of carvings into the ancient walls, it was a beautiful walk. Despite the enticing name I think it refers to the sandstone it’s cut into rather than anything more sinister….View attachment 56029View attachment 56031
Now THAT is a holloway!

I went to Hell Lane today, near Colmer’s Hill in Dorset. It’s supposed to be one of the best examples of a Dorset holloway, or sunken road; at some points it’s 10m below the surrounding land. Lots of carvings into the ancient walls, it was a beautiful walk. Despite the enticing name I think it refers to the sandstone it’s cut into rather than anything more sinister….View attachment 56029View attachment 56031
An ideal setting for a horror film.

Back