• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost Story

Robbrent

Abominable Snowman
I am sure that most people on here has read every compendium of weirdness going like me

There's always a story that you can't remember the exact detail or where it came from

Here's mine if anyone can help

I can't remember where i read it, it was based in the UK during the WW11 (I think) two children climbed up a hill, to find two men in space suit type of clothing who told them not to tell anyone and gave the impression that they were from the future it intrigued me at the time (but obviously not enough to remember where it was from) and it came to mind after reading the time slip thread

Can anyone help?

This story took place in 1940 and the witness was a child, but it differs in quite a few ways to your memory. He did tell the visitors what year it was so perhaps he thought they were from the future?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/leader/9104870.alien-killed-coal-shovel/
Its a great story (I would like to hear some corroboration from the others who were there mind you) but it's not the one it was altogether more gentle there might have been a small prediction from the beings\time travellers

This story took place in 1940 and the witness was a child, but it differs in quite a few ways to your memory. He did tell the visitors what year it was so perhaps he thought they were from the future?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/leader/9104870.alien-killed-coal-shovel/

Really good documentary about this story...

https://www.richplanet.net/richp_genre.php?ref=6&part=1&gen=17

However, I thought the OP was referring to another story where two children met a strange man on a hill in the 1940s who took them to what they thought was a hut. When they got home, they found they'd been away much, much longer than they thought.

Annoyingly, I can't find this story but I'll keep looking.

Really good documentary about this story...

https://www.richplanet.net/richp_genre.php?ref=6&part=1&gen=17

However, I thought the OP was referring to another story where two children met a strange man on a hill in the 1940s who took them to what they thought was a hut. When they got home, they found they'd been away much, much longer than they thought.

Annoyingly, I can't find this story but I'll keep looking.

This is the case here, one of my favourites. Jenny Randles posted on the thread, she provided some really helpful info on the case.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-hut-can-anyone-identify-this-ce3-case.63092/

This is the case here, one of my favourites. Jenny Randles posted on the thread, she provided some really helpful info on the case.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-hut-can-anyone-identify-this-ce3-case.63092/

Hmmm. That's an interesting thread, but not the one I was thinking of. The one i had in mind was about a boy and a girl who were not related (or maybe distantly related). The boy had tried to contact the girl in later years to discuss the incident, but she refused to discuss it. I'll keep looking, as it is also an interesting case.

Hmmm. That's an interesting thread, but not the one I was thinking of. The one i had in mind was about a boy and a girl who were not related (or maybe distantly related). The boy had tried to contact the girl in later years to discuss the incident, but she refused to discuss it. I'll keep looking, as it is also an interesting case.
It sounds familiar, however I am pretty sure there was some element that the men they met were time travellers

Vaguely associating with Sir Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Bomb, in which a group of friends whose northern town has been devastated by Thatcher's Blitz are whisked back in time to the early 1940's; there's a scene where the lead character is at an observation post at the top of a hill, which has received information that a German bomber force is on the way, but which cannot send the signal to activate the sirens to get everyone to air raid shelters (or something) . so knowing the bomb is likely to kill ancestors of his friends and create an almighty paradox, Johnny then has to run a message down into town to raise the alert. Or something, not read it in years. Some of his friends have already been "investigated" as they have no ID cards, no ration books, are carrying strange coinage bearing the head of somebody who looks like a far older Princess Elizabeth - evidently really sloppy background work by German Intelligence - and this technology they are carrying... we need to know how it works... some sort of signalling device for attracting bombers? (They are told "do not speak about this to anybody...") Damn, I'll have to read this again. I know their late 1990's attitudes do not sit well with 1941...

Vaguely associating with Sir Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Bomb, in which a group of friends whose northern town has been devastated by Thatcher's Blitz are whisked back in time to the early 1940's; there's a scene where the lead character is at an observation post at the top of a hill, which has received information that a German bomber force is on the way, but which cannot send the signal to activate the sirens to get everyone to air raid shelters (or something) . so knowing the bomb is likely to kill ancestors of his friends and create an almighty paradox, Johnny then has to run a message down into town to raise the alert. Or something, not read it in years. Some of his friends have already been "investigated" as they have no ID cards, no ration books, are carrying strange coinage bearing the head of somebody who looks like a far older Princess Elizabeth - evidently really sloppy background work by German Intelligence - and this technology they are carrying... we need to know how it works... some sort of signalling device for attracting bombers? (They are told "do not speak about this to anybody...") Damn, I'll have to read this again. I know their late 1990's attitudes do not sit well with 1941...
You know that does sound familiar, I have never read anything of Pratchett I wonder if he got the idea from the account I remember reading or the other way round?

You know that does sound familiar, I have never read anything of Pratchett I wonder if he got the idea from the account I remember reading or the other way round?
There's an interesting point. Pratchett was phenomenally well read and his books - all his books - are replete with references to pop culture, obscure historical sidelines, and - yes - Forteana of all sorts. The answer to the question is - I would not be surprised at all.

Back