• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lough Fadda Monster

Not just an intriguing (and fun) crowdfunder, but you get the chance to be involved directly!

If you're in the Connemara region of Ireland and willing to pitch in, please get in touch at [email protected] and we'll reach out a couple of weeks before we arrive this summer.

Intersting. If they were smart, they'd hire a good eel fisherman to advise them.

DesertedExcitableCassowary-size_restricted.gif

maximus otter

A place to write home about....

Yep, I'm most hopeful there is such.
IF I'm suddenly widowed AND my premium bonds come up, I'm going to track the buggers down. I'll settle for neither mind.

Yonder is the castle of my Faddah.
I think outsized eels are behind most freshwater lake monsters, along with swimming moose / deer, boat wakes and seals straying into fresh water. That said, a common eels can bite like hell so a scaled up one would be formidable.

If the populations are isolated, would a tendency to be "oversized" entrench itself after a few generations?

That said, a common eels can bite like hell so a scaled up one would be formidable.
They reputedly can sever wire traces, although I suspect it's more of a fraying, than a bite. Even a 4lb eel is a handful and I was attached to one in the 10lb range for 15 minutes and the trace broke at the net. I was absolutely gutted.

They're also very fast, although not generally thought of as such. When you hook a large UK eel, nothing is faster off the mark, but such battles generally end up as tests of attrition and stamina. An outsize anguilla would be quite formidable.

@Coal what sort of bait do you use? i'm only (vaguely) familiar with trapping them or netting across an area and coralling them.

Even a 4lb eel is a handful and I was attached to one in the 10lb range for 15 minutes and the trace broke at the net. I was absolutely gutted.
Yes, a wire breaking at high tension can do that. Nasty. Glad you're OK.

@Coal what sort of bait do you use? i'm only (vaguely) familiar with trapping them or netting across an area and coralling them.
Eels will take worms, maggots, cockles, mussels, but if you want to avoid catching other stuff either a small dead fish (rudd, roach and even sprats can work) or a small live fish fished near the surface.

But...if the waters have pike, they'll take live or dead-bait and if there is carp they take dead fish baits as well. So, depends a bit on the venue and it's fauna.

My great-grandmama used to like pike a couple of times a year. It was kept in a holding tank of fresh water for a few days before being killed.

Reactions: Jim
My great-grandmama used to like pike a couple of times a year. It was kept in a holding tank of fresh water for a few days before being killed.
I've ate a couple, a year or too back that lived in spring fed old cress beds. We baked one in the fire when we were clearing the scrub up one spring and it was really very good.

and one pike feeds a lot ofpeople!

Eels will take worms, maggots, cockles, mussels, but if you want to avoid catching other stuff either a small dead fish (rudd, roach and even sprats can work) or a small live fish fished near the surface.

But...if the waters have pike, they'll take live or dead-bait and if there is carp they take dead fish baits as well. So, depends a bit on the venue and it's fauna.
We get lots of other type of fish with worms or crabs but the pike seem to desire the taste of fish.

I had no idea. I was told many years ago not to bother with pike as it tasted horrible.
Guess I was told a porky!

It's quite mild and on the sweet side, with nice firm meat. Good for Baking, grilling or pan frying if the fillets are cut down in size.
Perhaps we should start a pike eating and catching tread? Lov the critters but up a strong fight and can get to a large size if lucky. Given the choice I'd eat pike over most trout or salmon. A simple article on pike.
https://www.untamedscience.com/biodiversity/northern-pike/

Back