• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Love Pongs: The Role Of Smell & Smells In Human Sexual Attraction

Surely "pheromone spray" would attract insects?

No, not necessarily - not even likely. The chemical compositions and effects of pheromones are species-specific. There's no reason to suspect human pheromones would even 'register' with insects. Maybe so; maybe no ...

The term 'pheromone' is loosely applied to any biochemical secretion that affects behavior in other organisms. The mode of signaling is chemical, and the primary receiver sensory modality is olfaction (smell) or direct chemical interfacing.

Notice I referred to 'organism' rather than 'animal'. Pheromones are attributed to biochemical signals among plants, too.

Under this relatively loose definition, pheromones have been identified in a range of organisms ranging from bacteria to mammals. So it's not just insects ...

In mammals pheromone signaling is strongly (but not uniquely) associated with sexual / mating functions.

It's never been conclusively demonstrated that humans rely upon pheromone cues for sexual / mating orientation or coordination. There have been some studies that have produced suggestive results, but even in the best cases the results are no more than equivocal.

Still, there are two cases in which inter-human pheromone signaling has been reasonably demonstrated - coordination of menstrual cycles among females and babies' orientation / navigation to their mothers' breasts.

Anyway ...

Agreed ...
I stand corrected!

Haven't a clue about the science. But women smell different (and I don't mean perfume, which actually hides the effect) and its a turn on.

Truth! I'm Bi and there are two-plus sorts of smells - all wonderful!

No, not necessarily - not even likely. The chemical compositions and effects of pheromones are species-specific. There's no reason to suspect human pheromones would even 'register' with insects. Maybe so; maybe no ...

I was being facetious. And also hoped people buying those "perfumes" would get covered in bugs.

I have never seen this thread before.

It reminds me of the boy’s high school gym locker room, and the smells that would almost knock one over.

The girls would say their gym was just as bad with used sanitary products everywhere in the locker room.

Whether human or animal, the female can identify her family with odors.

My wife claims she always would know me and my kids by our smells even in a dark room, and she would be uncomfortable with another man’s smells.

Newly published cross-cultural survey research indicates a strong linkage between smell and sexual desire.
What A Tendency For Sniffing Body Odor Might Say About You

A person's nose could play an important role in their sex life, according to a new international study.

In China, India, and the United States, researchers found young individuals who tend to sniff out the scent of others are more sexually motivated.

In surveys, participants who placed more importance on their sense of smell were also more likely to report stronger sexual desires.

These findings were consistent across both sexes and all three cultures.

Of course, this doesn't mean there weren't sexual and cultural differences identified in the surveys.

Women, for instance, tended to put more of an emphasis on smell than men. They also reported less sexual desire overall.

In India, meanwhile, participants reported a significantly higher sex drive than America. They also put a higher premium on their sense of smell than participants in the US.

"Despite sex and cultural differences, correlational analyses and hierarchical multiple linear regression analyses indicated that subjective importance of olfaction and body odor sniffing was consistently related to sexual desire across countries," the authors conclude. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/what-a-tendency-for-sniffing-body-odor-might-say-about-you

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the published research report.

Li, Zl., Hummel, T. & Zou, Lq.
Sniffing of Body Odors and Individual Significance of Olfaction Are Associated with Sexual Desire: A Cross-Cultural Study in China, India, and the USA.
Arch Sex Behav (2022).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-022-02398-1

Abstract
Olfactory sensations contribute to sexual desire and sexual behavior. However, the degree to which individual importance of olfactory function and body odors relate to sexual desire is not known. This study was conducted to preliminarily examine these relationships among Chinese college students (N = 1903) via the Importance of Olfaction Questionnaire, the Body Odor Sniffing Questionnaire, and the Sexual Desire Inventory, which were used to measure subjective significance of olfaction, frequency of sniffing self or others, and sexual desire, respectively. Individuals who assigned higher importance to olfaction or engaged more in body odor sniffing showed stronger sexual desire. We further explored these associations in different cultures to determine whether cultural consistency existed. We conducted a second study to make cross-cultural comparisons between Indian (N = 313) and US (N = 249) populations. For both countries, a higher importance placed on olfaction and a higher prevalence of body odor sniffing were consistently associated with stronger sexual desire. In conclusion, our study confirmed that people who placed more value on olfactory function or engaged more in body odor sniffing showed stronger sexual desire. These correlations were consistent for both sexes and across different cultures, further indicating the importance of olfaction in sexuality.

SOURCE: https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-022-02398-1

Experiments Show Women Can Sniff Out Single And Married Men

The eyes are often said to be the window to someone's soul, but the nose could be a backdoor to their bedroom. Experiments have found heterosexual women can actually smell which suitors are available and which are taken.

In recent years, the science of human scent has been sniffing up a storm in the lab, and recent results suggest that people who like to take deep whiffs of another's natural fragrance are likely to be more sexually motivated overall.

Straight men also seem to be more attracted to a woman's scent when their crush is at the most fertile point in her menstrual cycle, or when a woman is sexually aroused. Exposure to these pheromones can even trigger men to drink more on a night out.

Conversely, when women are ovulating, studies have found they are more attracted to masculine-looking males. Experiments also suggest that men's testosterone levels can subtly fluctuate depending on whether men they're single or in a committed relationship.

A 2019 Australian study asked 82 heterosexual women between the ages of 18 and 35 to rate the body odors and faces of heterosexual men. Half of the women were single while the other half were partnered. When smelling the anonymous bottled male odors, female participants were asked questions like "How much do you like/dislike this smell?" and "How sexy does this odor smell?".

The faces of these scents were then presented randomly to women. When looking at portraits, female participants rated the men on their attractiveness, sexiness, intelligence, loyalty, kindness, trustworthiness, masculinity, and whether they looked like a good partner.

Ultimately, researchers found that single men's body odor smelled stronger to all women than the natural scent of partnered men.

The more likable the male scent, the more likely women were to rate their looks as favorable.

A study in 2010, for instance, found that single males have higher testosterone levels than partnered males. Not only could this make them more competitive in the dating arena, but the natural scent of their high-testosterone bodies could also signal fitness, viability, and sexual availability to others in an inexplicit way.

"From an evolutionary perspective, it may be advantageous for women to be able to detect the chemosignals that connote coupledom and ultimately avoid courting partnered males (especially with offspring) due to the relatively reduced resources they can offer," the authors write.

But there is another explanation, and it's far less appealing: It's been suggested that married men have better health and hygiene than single men.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experiments-show-women-can-sniff-out-single-and-married-men

maximus otter

The girls would say their gym was just as bad with used sanitary products everywhere in the locker room.
When I worked in gyms I never once saw or smelled used sanitary products in the locker room. You must have known some skanky girls.

About smells, re female/male experiences: I thought we'd been over this elsewhere.

During pregnancy I was sensitive to male odours. It was no doubt hormonal. I could smell male urine from some distance off, e.g. in a house where a man was still using the bathroom.

One time, on holiday in a caravan, the then husband left his used socks on the bedroom floor. I found the stench overpoweringly disgusting and kicked off so hard he resignedly threw them out of the window.

His father, on holiday with us, popped out for a paper early next morning and found the socks. He assumed they'd blown off a line so he washed them and pegged them up to dry. Ex gleefully reclaimed them.

Have to say that Ex's socks didn't bother me when I wasn't pregnant.

In the early 1960s our area schools were so overcrowded and in gym class the girls had half of the basketball court and the boys the other half.

We had to dress out to shorts and tennis shoes, and the small locker rooms for both boys and girls were a total disaster.

All the students were upset by it all.

Back