• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Love Spells & Charms

A

Anonymous

Do people really use them? Have you? If yes, did it work? If not do you think it would work?

I would imagine that people all over the world and all throughout history have used magic for love, sex, fidelity etc.
It being probably the number one human drive I would think it would be the number one use of magic.

Why to this day people have 'lucky pulling pants' and such talismans of sexual prowess. :D

It seems to be frowned upon by your modern European/western practitioners .... by ritual magicians because it is low 'hedge-witchery' and a lot of them think that kind of practical magic is mere superstition and the rest wouldn't want to be seen to stoop to such material matters, and by pagans because it is 'bad karma' to coerce another.

Medieval mages and practicioners of hoodoo etc seem to have no such qualms : many of the grimoires and so on contain workings for such purposes e.g. http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/bcm/bcm72.htm and if you disect the lyrics of many blues songs you will find references to the mojo charms, nation sacks etc used in hoodoo to attract partners and to stop them straying - http://www.luckymojo.com/mojo.html

Personal experience?
Yes.
Telling the world about it on web message board?
Nope ;)

Didn't want a play by play of any results just a general yes/no answer is sufficient. I have seen love spells on different sites and have always wondered about them. I wouldn't think that they could be used for any long term results. Just curious. Not a practitioner of magic myself but always interested in talking to people who are. Where I used to live there was quite a community of various pagan groups. I have always found the whole thing fascinating.

Well, you know, as Robert Anton Wilson likes to say the whole dual state Aristotlian logic of yes or no frequently breaks down, and I think that is especially true when dealing in matters of magic(k). Or indeed love.

Suffice it to say a beneficial outcome has been obtained on the few occasions I have ventured into this kind of area, but not necessarily exactly the result that was originally desired.

The problem with just about all 'spells', be they instructions on the internet or kits you can buy or the most ancient and worthy of lore from the most respected sources etc etc is that the actual performance of a magic(k)al working, no matter what the system/tradition/school/paradigm you are working with etc, is really only the tip of the iceberg. It seems to be learning the system: becoming familiar with and learning to manipulate the dieties or spirits or archetypes or energies, the correspondances and symbolism, understanding the structure of ritual, endless repetitions of often rather dull exercises, enforcing changes in consciousness, developing various 'psychic' skills, recognising, overcoming and harnessing personal strengths and weaknesses etc etc etc that is the essence of magic(k), not reading the words out and burning the incense and writing on the candle or whatever.

Of course all that studying and discipline and messing around with states of mind *does things* to a person, and there are many who would argue that that, along with perhaps a sort of placebo effect, is all there is to magic(k).

On the other hand there are those who believe it genuinely enables one to manipulate external reality, other people and all sorts of non-corporeal entities using the tools of ritual aka 'spells' .....

....... but that's a very yes / no way of looking at it ;)

I guess there always yes/no answers in matters of faith no matter what they are. I personally don't want to manipulate the world around me who knows what i might mess up? As far as the placebo affect I guess you could say the same thing with prayer, but if it works for you whose to say it is stupid or wrong. Just curious about the love spell thing. Personally if you have to cast a spell to keep a mate faithful... maybe you should find a new mate.

At 12 or 13 I found a book in the library on witchcraft. I can't remember if I tried a curse or love spell, they recommended and explained both. All I know is that I wrote a person's name on a piece of paper and burned it.... I don't think it worked either way.

Someone I know recently did a love spell as a lark for a guy she's interested in. She said he was extra attentive at their gathering, but she didn't know if it was because of the spell or the "I know something you don't know" looks she was giving him all night.

One more... I wish I could find it now or knew who i heard it from. Someone was going on about a love spell amulet he borrowed from a friend. It was so powerful for it's intended purpose that it frightened him and brought on a great feeling of guilt. The person he borrowed it from became weak and sick. It was quite a tale. I think the moral of his story was "don't borrow and lend amulets".

Well, I would not really have thought of that as magic, but if your co-worker was that bad it might well be. Of course, I agree with your philosophy it is like the old saying goes "you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar". Though why you would want to attract flies is beyond me. LOL

*considers bringing up the 'terracotta maiden'....envisages some impressionable fellow poster sitting in accident & emergency, waiting to have it removed...thinks better of it*

;)

Allright,if I really wanted a woman & I though she was too good for me & I did try a magic spell or something & it turns out she had nothing better going & So,pursured me..I'd assume it was the spell that made it happen!!But..it really wasn't..So,I would conclude it doesn't work..Full stop!

I know people who believe the Anton Lavey love spell works. I think its just a matter of confidence and good luck/timing.

waitew said:
Allright,if I really wanted a woman & I though she was too good for me & I did try a magic spell or something & it turns out she had nothing better going & So,pursured me..I'd assume it was the spell that made it happen!!But..it really wasn't..So,I would conclude it doesn't work..Full stop!

Love spells should never be directed at a specific person just in general i.e. I want someone to love me. All spells should be used with caution anyway as they can backfire threefold, so be warned.

Mind you none of mine have ever worked, well maybe if I didn't look like the back end of a bus......:D

My favourite recipe for attracting the opposite sex is as follows.
10 drachms of spirit of malted barley are mixed with a fermented root of ginger, the concotion is chilled and then imbibed. This ritual is repeated untill the participant feels invincible, interesting and extremely actractive to the opposite sex. Works well for both men and women.

Fenris said:
My favourite recipe for attracting the opposite sex is as follows.
10 drachms of spirit of malted barley are mixed with a fermented root of ginger, the concotion is chilled and then imbibed. This ritual is repeated untill the participant feels invincible, interesting and extremely actractive to the opposite sex. Works well for both men and women.

Ahh yes the good old whiskey mac. :D

I think these love spells are most beneficial for those people who have someone they like and know and the girl in question knows them back and they just lack the bollocks or the gusto to take it a step further. :hmm:

Kind of like a 'placebo' that gives the person courage to go and do something about their desire and then they think it is the spell that has worked.

Elffriend said:
Kind of like a 'placebo' that gives the person courage to go and do something about their desire and then they think it is the spell that has worked.
more or less. hey these crutches help everyone, present company included ;)

There's a good article on this topic here:

Ancient spells and charms for the hapless in love
Adam Parker, The Open University
February 14, 2020 1.55pm GMT

Valentine’s Days is not all love hearts and roses for everyone. For the hapless in love, the day can be a yearly reminder of failed romances, unrequited love and the seemingly unending search for the illusive “one”.

Such problems of the heart span cultures and history. The inhabitants of the Graeco-Roman world suffered the same heartaches and the same emotional highs and lows as we do today. While we are left with apps to swipe on, a greater belief in magic in this period provided interesting opportunities to find love.

Hope was placed on spells, mysterious words and magical objects to grant the gift of love on their users or to take it away from rivals.

Ticks and fish blood

The Greek Magical Papyri are a series of ancient spell books from Egypt from between the 2nd century BC and the 5th century AD. They are a sort of do-it-yourself guide to magical rituals that offers solutions to problems like finding a thief, keeping calm, curing fevers and demonic possession. Unsurprisingly, love charms feature prominently.

Full Article With Much Detail:
https://theconversation.com/amp/anc...less-in-love-130567?__twitter_impression=true

I once had a friend ask me for help with a love spell, so I looked it up and told him what to do, and to all intents and purposes it worked, as they were a couple 2 days later. Did it merely boost his confidence? Probably, but there was no guarantee his crush even liked him prior to that. I've never tried a love spell myself; it seems a little rapey, and I only did it for my friend because I didn't think it would actually work.

Back