Lovecraft & Hermetics

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Any professional biography of HP will explain that he had no personal emotional interest whatsoever in the creatures he created or in magic or in spiritualism. He just liked writing short stories that someone might print and he liked writing in this genre. As for "HP and his friends" I'm not sure that he had any. His true personal devotion was for 18th century poetry, and he wrote passable imitations, but there aren't any sales in that genre. He was very intelligent and very well-read and knew a lot about a lot of things. Few of them paid.
Edit - and it goes without saying that for all his intelligence and reading his judgment with regard to social issues was terrible. Just think I cant leave the post without noting this.

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Noeth Ac Anoeth
Reaction score
Any professional biography of HP will explain that he had no personal emotional interest whatsoever in the creatures he created or in magic or in spiritualism. He just liked writing short stories that someone might print and he liked writing in this genre. As for "HP and his friends" I'm not sure that he had any. His true personal devotion was for 18th century poetry, and he wrote passable imitations, but there aren't any sales in that genre. He was very intelligent and very well-read and knew a lot about a lot of things. Few of them paid.
Edit - and it goes without saying that for all his intelligence and reading his judgment with regard to social issues was terrible. Just think I cant leave the post without noting this.
He had many friends, mostly through correspondence but some he met in person. ST Joshi estimates he wrote 100,000+ letters, some tens of pages long.

C.O.T.

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Sorry, but this post will be quite long, cause i found some material between the 100.000 letters. It,s a narration that think that maybe have not been published, is because is the transcription of a dream, a quite strangelly long and very detailed dream.

Post a file with the whole narration, that is really quite good, post here a brief, triying not to do spoiler. Anyway is far better to read the full narration that is atached to this post, is a 10 pages tale, quite good, must say.

" As far back as 450 A. D. my retrospective sense adheres altogether to Britain; but behind that point...my memory becomes Roman-The Dream... subject was one of nameless, hovering horror,· and our respective us, near the little town of Pompelo at the foot of the Pyrenees, a monstrous doom was brewing in the hills. the Strange Dark Folk (in the dream the frequently repeated phrase was Miri Nigri) who held the monstrous Sabbaths on the Kalends of Maius and November. ... authorized me to company the cohort"

As it was predictable on a HPL narration, it all finitshes in a very bad way, the narration is too much detailed to a dream.

"It was the most vivid dream I have had in a decade, and involved subconscious use of odd scraps of boyhood reading long forgotten by my waking mind. Calagurris and Pompelo are real towns of Roman Spain, now known as Calabarra and Pamplona, respectively ! ."

This narration is not a tale, he tells to a friend that is simply the transcription of a dream, explains it on a explicit way on other letter days after:Then explains ideas to turn the dream into a tipical mistery pulp narration of the 20s, ( have to say that the planed aded ideas, that dont apear on this version, were very far on narrative power from the dream itself, and maybe decreased "the vividness and significance" there is a noticeable difference of style between the dream and the planed arrangements, as if were thinked for other person.)

"As to my Roman dream-well, young man, I hate to be naive, but the fact is that most of it really was a dream, just as Ramdolph Carter and certain parts of Celephais were ! And I certainly do intend to surround it with a motivating framework and sequel (which I have already described in an epistle to Dwyer) calculated to increase its vividness and significance .. ."

Can say that the Spanish data are consistent; the small towns still exist, the geographic data involving the close presence of Pirenaic mountains is true, and even the times of travel on horse ride are correct for the distance between Pamplona and the mountains.

So, putting all toguether, I would say that this dream was not a dream at all, and that by the action of the shamans of the mountain the spirit of the questor was sent 24 centuries ago, and that magic operations let Hp with a magic capability that was reached trough some dreams, but he, even suspecting it, dont completelly realized.

(Narration and explanation data can be found in the 2nd tome of the " HPL Selected letters, 1925-1929" edited by Arkham house on 1968, narration on page 188, explanations on page 202)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He had many friends, mostly through correspondence but some he met in person. ST Joshi estimates he wrote 100,000+ letters, some tens of pages long.
He was an old-fashioned correspondent but I do believe was almost entirely solitary. Didn't go out bowling or drinking with the guys, most of whom were nowhere near Providence or briefly NYC I was responding to the post above about practicing hermetics with his friends. He was also I think I remember a knowledgeable amateur astronomer so the story of him correcting a group staring at the sky rings true. But not apparently a member of a club.

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
According to sources I found, including his own points in letters to others, he was much more than that. But I can't share them with you because the moderators won't allow it, so you'll have to find them for yourself.

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
He was an old-fashioned correspondent but I do believe was almost entirely solitary. Didn't go out bowling or drinking with the guys, most of whom were nowhere near Providence or briefly NYC I was responding to the post above about practicing hermetics with his friends. He was also I think I remember a knowledgeable amateur astronomer so the story of him correcting a group staring at the sky rings true. But not apparently a member of a club.
From what I gathered, he was much more than that, but I can't provide you with evidence because anything involving politics or that can be connected to it (which, unfortunately, can mean anything), can't be shared in this forum because it will lead to fighting.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
But I can't share them with you because the moderators won't allow it, so you'll have to find them for yourself.
From what I gathered, he was much more than that, but I can't provide you with evidence because anything involving politics or that can be connected to it (which, unfortunately, can mean anything), can't be shared in this forum because it will lead to fighting.
To be specific, the material you cited - whilst very interesting - was also almost entirely and specifically political, which Enola Gaia explained to you is disallowed on this forum. It's not an arbitrary thing: if it's political it goes.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It's a thread about the master of weird fiction, so it's only fitting that it should have so many weird posts in it. :D

I do not believe HPL was "into" magic or the occult other than using it as interesting source material for stories. I think if he HAD been more spiritual he would have been a happier person. I've read some biographies about him (along with all his stories, obviously, and plenty of Cthulhu mythos fan fiction) and I think he was a pretty gloomy guy in general.

Alchymist

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Any professional biography of HP will explain that he had no personal emotional interest whatsoever in the creatures he created or in magic or in spiritualism.
Probably true, but he did say that much of his material came to him through dreams. And dreams, as any Freudian will tell you, are often communications from the deep subconscious, so one might wonder - or at least I do - where, exactly, those images of supernatural terror came from . . . .

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Probably true, but he did say that much of his material came to him through dreams. And dreams, as any Freudian will tell you, are often communications from the deep subconscious, so one might wonder - or at least I do - where, exactly, those images of supernatural terror came from . . . .
My first line of argument - and it's always chancy to try to analyse people who are dead and left no personal notes - is that he was obviously a pretty scared and uncomfortable kid. I would go there way before dreamworld perceptions of other universes.

Last edited:

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I'm not so sure he was always in a gloomy mood - he certainly seems to be in good spirits in some of his letters. He was very uncomfortable with unfamiliar surroundings and people who were different from him, which explains both his love of horror stories and his racial prejudices.

Speaking of his prejudices, I tend to think he was less a racist per se, and more a believer in things and people staying in their proper place. He did believe that those of English extraction were superior to, say, Africans or continental Europeans, but he would probably say those people in their homelands were justified in thinking him inferior. That out-of-place sense, I think, is the root of much of his fiction.