• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Low Strangeness' Disappearances (Missing Persons; Runaways; Crime-Related)

Fascinating. :D
Never heard of this before, great story, thank you.

This has always been one of my favorite fortean mysteries. Of course after 100 years, it is unlikely to ever have a clear solution, but it's still fun to speculate as to Miss Arnold's final destination. :)

Now for something completely different. What is this about? A misperception, a strange crime, or what?

Australian man 'discovered missing wife on Antiques Roadshow' after 28 years
An Australian has claimed his missing wife has been spotted on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow in Britain, almost three decades after she mysteriously vanished.
11:00PM GMT 29 Dec 2010

Lynette Dawson, a mother-of-two, went missing from Sydney in 1982 and was presumed dead - although her body was never found.

Now her ex-husband Chris Dawson claims that an image of a woman at the Antiques Roadshow, which was filmed in Padstow, Cornwall in 2006 and recently aired on Australian TV is his former spouse.

But her Australian family dispute his claims that the woman is Lynette and have launched an appeal to help trace the identity of the woman.
They have called on residents of Padstow to identify her they hope they can finally put the matter to rest.

Mr Dawson, a former Sydney footballer, who has remarried and is living on the Golden Coast sent an email to his daughter after a friend recorded the show.

"The show was filmed in Padstow, Cornwall, in England, and the likeness to your mum is uncanny.
"It has given us a strong sense of hope that at Last her whereabouts may be known," the email read.

Since the email was published in Australia Mr Dawson has refused to talk further about the television sighting.

But Lynette's sister, Patricia Jenkins, said she believes the images are not her missing sibling.
"There is no way this is Lyn.
"Just the clothes tell me it's not her," she said.
"She would never wear anything frilly or lacy.
"I have compared the jaw line and nose.
"Lyn came from a loving family and her disappearance left her adored daughters, who were two and four at the time, to grow up never knowing their mother or their mother's love."

Lynette was last seen at Mona Vale on Sydney's Northern Beaches in January 1982.
Her family had last heard from her six days before her disappearance.

Two separate coroners' inquires in 2001 and 2003 found Mrs Dawson was murdered and recommended a known person be charged with an indictable offence, but no charges have ever been brought.

Mrs Jenkins said: "We want to put this desperate claim to rest.
"Any information would help. How long have you known her?
"Do you know her family?
"Does she have an Australian accent?
"All this would be such a help to us.
"Everyone in the family believes she is dead, it's just a horrible reality."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... years.html

What about buildings that just disappear? This is a really strange story, and I confirmed with a friend, so I'm not turning insane.
Beside my school there was a small building that was used as some sort of school...one year I come back after summer break, and the building is no longer there. Instead it is all crowded apartment buildings, some which were there before. There is no empty field if I remember correctly. I asked various people if they remembered this building and they were like "yeah, I do, it has to be there"...but it's not. However, I found it on google maps, directly across from our school! How fast do they build these apartment buildings, geez.

guestus said:
However, I found it on google maps, directly across from our school! How fast do they build these apartment buildings, geez.

A large construction team can assemble a building very quickly, especially if the weather is with them, or if some of the building is prefabricated.

The local high school used to have a Olympic-sized swimming pool with a pool building and all. One summer, it got filled in, and the building taken down. There's a lovely green lawn there, now. Had you been a student away for the summer, you'd probably find the lack of pool pretty mysterious come fall term.

soaringspirit said:
Yesterday was the 100 year anniversary of the disappearance of Dorothy Arnold in New York City Dec 12, 1910. She was last seen at a bookstore purchasing a book of Epigrams. At the bookstore she met a female friend, who later reported that Arnold had intended to walk home through Central Park. She was never seen again.
Her father, not wanting his daughter's disappearance in the news, refused to notify the police for six weeks, leaving a cold trail to follow. The man she had been quietly seeing without her parents permission was cleared of any wrongdoing. It's thought that Arnold either died of a botched abortion or was attacked and killed in Central Park, however there is little concrete proof for any of the explanations offered.

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1960/5/1960_5_24_print.shtml

There is a strange postscript to this disappearance... Read here:

http://blogs.forteana.org/node/89
Link is dead. The MIA article can be accessed via the Wayback Machine at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110903164242/https://blogs.forteana.org/node/89

Best,

Theo

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy missing for 11 days found at home in basement

A 12-year-old missing for 11 days was found by police in his own basement, and his father was told of the discovery live on television.

Charlie Bothuell was feared dead after disappearing in Detroit on 14 June.
On Wednesday, officers found the boy behind a barricade of boxes in his family's basement.

His father, Charles Bothuell IV, was appealing to HLN viewers for help when presenter Nancy Grace said Charlie was found alive and well.
The father appeared to be stunned and said "What?"

He told the presenter his family, Detroit police and FBI had searched the basement several times.
"God, they brought dogs, everything... Everybody has searched," Charles Bothuell IV said. "Oh god, my son."

"I've never seen anything quite like this," Detroit Police Chief James Craig told reporters. "But the outcome - I couldn't be happier."

Charlie was removed from the home and was given medical attention at a nearby hospital.
He was medically cleared and released on Thursday, with Police Sgt Mike Woody telling US media the boy was "doing fine".

Police also confirmed to local media they had searched the families basement with a cadaver dog, adding investigators were not sure Charlie had been in the basement for the full 11 days.
Mr Craig told the Detroit News Charlie "won't be put back into the home until we finish our investigation".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28041848

An interesting and ongoing mystery!

Hmm, yes, I think there's something not quite right about this story.

More on Aimee Semple McPherson:

The mysterious disappearance of a celebrity preacher
By Naomi Grimley, BBC News

Aimee Semple McPherson was one of the most glamorous women in the US in the 1920s. The evangelical preacher put on theatrical church services and used ground-breaking radio broadcasts to teach the gospel - but one mysterious episode in her life has never been fully explained.
On 18 May 1926, Aimee Semple McPherson went to Venice Beach, Los Angeles, to take a swim and write a sermon.
The female assistant who'd gone with her had to leave to make a short phone call from a nearby hotel. When she returned she couldn't see the evangelist anywhere.

As evening fell, McPherson was still missing and her followers rushed to the beach to join the search. One young man drowned as he swam out towards two dead seals which he'd mistaken for her body.
"A local newspaper even speculated that there had been a sea monster sighted off Venice Beach," says McPherson's biographer, Matthew Sutton. "They thought maybe this sea monster had swallowed McPherson whole." :shock:

Others thought that the evangelist would be miraculously resurrected. For five weeks, national newspapers carried rival theories about what had happened to McPherson.
Had she drowned? Had she staged the ultimate theatrical stunt? Had the weight of her own fame just become too much? Then one day in June she re-emerged in the small town of Agua Prieta on the Mexico-Arizona border.
McPherson claimed she'd been kidnapped - but had she?

Her story to that date had already been extraordinary. She was born Aimee Elizabeth Kennedy on a farm in Ontario, Canada, in 1890. As a teenager, she'd gone to hear an Irish Pentecostal preacher, Robert Semple, speak in her local town.
Before long she'd married him and joined his life on the road. But a trip they took to Hong Kong as missionaries ended in disaster. Both she and her husband fell ill with malaria. He died but she survived, pregnant with her first child.

When McPherson returned to America she felt the call to travel and preach. "She was a spellbinding speaker," says Sutton.
"She knew how to use dramatic tricks to draw audiences, and so she turned out to be enormously popular. What made her most popular was her seeming ability to lay hands on the sick and to heal them."

Soon McPherson, known as Sister Aimee to her followers, had become a preaching sensation touring across the US during the early 1920s.
It was an unusual choice of career for a single mother - and before long she was also a divorcee. Her second marriage to Harold McPherson, with whom she had another child, ended partly because he found it so difficult to walk in her shadow as her fame grew.

In 1923, she built a permanent base for her religious movement - a white-domed church called Angelus Temple in the Echo Park neighbourhood of Los Angeles. She put on elaborate services for the public and bought a radio station to broadcast to listeners at home.
These were no ordinary sermons - they were more like music hall performances. "She had the best actors, the best set designers, the best costumes, the best make-up artists and professional lighting," says Sutton. "She would create these stories, these dramas in which biblical stories would come to life."
The crowds were so large, people had to queue around the block to get a seat. At Angelus Temple today you can still see the theatre-like layout - complete with a stage at the centre.

"It was quite simply the best show in town" says the temple's archivist Steve Zeleny. "She would call the construction crew and say 'I need you to build me a 20ft Trojan horse that's hollow on the inside' or 'I need you to build me a huge ship, the bow needs to stick out 20ft. It needs to have guns on it with smoke coming out.'"
Often her crew would only have a week to finish these lavish sets. Charlie Chaplin used to advise McPherson on which of her productions worked best. In fact, over the years the Hollywood actor struck up an unlikely friendship with this conservative Pentecostal preacher.

As a retreat from her superstar lifestyle, McPherson built a house, perched on a rock above Lake Elsinore, a 90-minute car ride from Los Angeles. It is a castle influenced by her travels in the Middle East - it looks a bit out of place in the Californian landscape with a white exterior, crenellated roof and mosaic-encrusted dome.

"She was constantly being followed," explains my guide Erin Funk, a preacher in the Pentecostal church founded by McPherson.
"To give people an understanding about how popular she was and how much people followed her, it would be the equivalent of Princess Diana," she says as she shows me around the exquisite Art Deco rooms with beautiful murals and tiled walls. There's even a subterranean passage from the garage into the house so that McPherson could avoid reporters.

But McPherson's mysterious disappearance in 1926 and her reappearance in Agua Prieta gave reporters exactly what they wanted.
When she turned up in the dusty border town "she came to a family's home and she knocked on the door," says 1920s enthusiast Kim Cooper.
"She tells them that she's been walking for hours and hours having escaped from a weird little hut where she was held captive by three people."

McPherson claimed she'd been persuaded by the three strangers to leave the beach on that fateful afternoon back in May to pray for a sick child lying in the back of a car. "As she bent into this car, she was shoved inside and chloroformed and the next thing she knew she was imprisoned," says Cooper.

Not everyone, though, subscribes to this theory. Biographer Matthew Sutton believes she had run away with her sound engineer - a married man called Kenneth Ormiston, who also disappeared at the same time. "I'm 99% confident that she had an affair," he says.
"I suspect she ran away with Ormiston then ultimately after a month reading the newspapers and seeing what was happening she decided to make this dramatic return. The kidnapping story was the best means she came up with for doing it."

To this day, there is a great deal of debate about what exactly happened. When McPherson returned to Los Angeles she faced a grand jury investigation into her kidnapping story - but it ended up more preoccupied with her private life.
That's why McPherson's story attracts such attention and why she's been parodied in various plays and books. Cole Porter, for example, turned her into the "sensuous sermonizer" Reno Sweeney in the musical Anything Goes.

Today, her followers say the scandalous accounts of her life overlook all the good work she did on the streets of Los Angeles, especially during the Depression. When government agencies failed to clothe and feed the poor, Angelus Temple stepped in helping 1.5 million people get back on their feet.

But according to Jane Shaw, professor of religious studies at Stanford University, McPherson's biggest legacy is the way she combined "a conservative form of religion with the media of modernity". In many ways her radio station laid the way for America's modern televangelists.

On 27 September 1944 Aimee Semple McPherson was found dead in a hotel room in Oakland, California. A lifelong insomniac, the 53-year-old had taken too many sedatives - but her followers insist it wasn't suicide.
Her body was flown back to Los Angeles where she lay in state for three days and three nights at the temple she had built for her ground-breaking movement.

Her Foursquare Church still exists to this day and claims a membership of 8 million worldwide. You can still visit Angelus Temple on a Sunday for a service but it's a very different congregation to the one that listened to McPherson. Nowadays the worshippers are mainly Hispanic - a sign of the changing demographics of both Los Angeles and modern-day Pentecostalism in America

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30148022

(More stuff on page.)

Can't say I recall hearing about her before, but she was truly a larger-than-life character.

Missing RAF airman Corrie Mckeague alive, mum believes

The mother of an RAF airman who went missing more than three weeks ago has said she "absolutely" believes her son is still alive.

Corrie Mckeague, 23, a gunner based at RAF Honington in Suffolk, vanished after a night out in Bury St Edmunds early in the morning of 24 September.
His mother Nicola Urquhart told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "Nobody can just disappear."
She said it would be in character for Mr Mckeague to enter a stranger's car.

Mr Mckeague was last spotted on CCTV walking alone and eating takeaway food in Bury St Edmunds at 03:20 BST.
A trace on his mobile phone showed it was in Bury St Edmunds early on 24 September but then moved to the Barton Mills area.
Ms Urquhart said the phone data suggests this journey took 28 minutes, which is "how long it would take to drive [between the two places]".

It is not known whether the phone was in Mr Mckeague's possession at the time of the journey, but Ms Urquhart said that entering a stranger's car was "genuinely something Corrie would do".
She said he was the type of person that, "if he saw someone walking down the road and he was in a car, he would stop and give that complete stranger a lift".

Police have found neither Mr Mckeague nor his phone.
But Ms Urquhart said there were "many possibilities" as to why the phone's signal was no longer being picked up - that it could have run out of battery or been damaged.

She said that police - who are continuing to search for the missing airman - "have got so much CCTV they've still not been able to watch it all".
She added: "They've widened the parameter to look further out. They've got [access to] private CCTV. But not a single [new] image of Corrie [has been discovered]."

Ms Urquhart said she believes "somebody does know something" about the events surrounding her son's disappearance, but added that the public have been "desperate to help".
"But nothing, not one person [has been able to] give us anything - and that just doesn't make sense," she added.
She is appealing for people with information to contact police.

The Victoria Derbyshire programme is broadcast on weekdays between 09:00 and 11:00 on BBC Two and the BBC News Channel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-37705067

Missing RAF airman Corrie Mckeague alive, mum believes

The mother of an RAF airman who went missing more than three weeks ago has said she "absolutely" believes her son is still alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-37705067

Missing RAF airman Corrie Mckeague: New possible sighting
24 October 2016

A new possible sighting of missing RAF airman Corrie Mckeague has been reported to police.

The 23 year old, a gunner based at RAF Honington in Suffolk, vanished after a night out in Bury St Edmunds early in the morning of 24 September.

Police said they had received a possible sighting of Mr Mckeague heading towards Honington.
At 04:20 BST a driver saw a man walking near the Hollow Road industrial estate, at the back of the sugar beet factory.

Following an appeal on Friday, police now have leads to identify another man seen in Pizza Mama Mia in St Andrews Street North at between 01:15-01:30.
A woman who also got in touch to say she was in the takeaway and will be interviewed by police.

Over the past few weeks officers have been carrying out extensive work to locate Mr Mckeague, originally from Dunfermline in Fife.

Dozens of people have been spoken to and hundreds of lines of inquiry followed up, and police continue to urge anyone with information to come forward.
Officers have viewed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in the town centre and are continuing to view images from further out of the town in a bid to get further information that may take the inquiry forward.
Mr Mckeague was spotted on CCTV walking alone and eating takeaway food in Bury St Edmunds at 03:20.

A trace on his mobile phone, which has not been found, showed it was in Bury St Edmunds early on 24 September but then moved to the Barton Mills area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-37755811

A long and detailed account of the disappearance of RAF man Corrie Mckeague, last seen in Bury St Edmunds at about 03:20 BST on 24 September.
Corrie Mckeague and his mysterious disappearance
By Kate Scotter BBC News

Seconds after this CCTV picture was taken, airman Corrie Mckeague turned to the right and disappeared into the shadows. Who is he and how did he vanish without trace?
..he decided to join the Royal Air Force and was posted to RAF Honington in October 2013.
He spent three months training before passing out - something his grandmother Mary Mckeague described as his family's "proudest day".
Mr Mckeague is a gunner in No 2 Sqn, RAF Regiment.
He is white, 5ft 10ins (1.78m) tall, of medium build, with short light brown hair.
His mother has described him as "gregarious", "funny" and someone who "loves to be the centre of attention".
RAF Honington reported Mr Mckeague's disappearance to police on Monday, 26 September when he did not turn up to parade at 11:30 BST.
The base would ordinarily report a serviceman AWOL but Mrs Urquhart said he was treated as a missing person straight away.
She said this was partly because of heightened security after the attempted abduction of a serviceman close to RAF Marham in Norfolk in July, and also because Mr Mckeague's disappearance was "so out of character".

Police first informed the media of his disappearance on Tuesday, 27 September and released CCTV footage of him in Brentgovel Street the next day.
Here's what has happened since:
  • 4 October: It is revealed that his mobile phone had been tracked moving 12 miles (19km) away to Barton Mills hours after he was last seen.
  • 21 October: Further footage is released, showing his last confirmed sighting.
  • 24 October: A driver reports seeing a man walking near the Hollow Road industrial estate on the day Mr Mckeague disappeared.
  • 15 November: Part of the A14 near Bury St Edmunds is closed while police carry out a roadside search.
  • 5 December: His grandparents Mary and Oliver Mckeague offer a "five-figure" reward for information leading to his discovery.
  • 8 December: A crowdfunding campaign to hire a private investigator to search for Mr Mckeague raises £20,000 within two days and police release CCTV footage of 10 people they want to speak to.
  • 9 December: Mrs Urquhart says she has "lost faith" in police over their search for her son.
  • 16 December: Outgoing RAF Honington commander Gp Capt Mick Smeath speaks of Mr Mckeague's friends' hopes that he will be found.
  • 17 December: A search organised by Mrs Urquhart takes place at an area of forest near RAF Honington.
  • 20 December: Mr Mckeague's uncle Tony Wringe expresses anger over a seemingly bogus fundraising website set up in his nephew's name.
More than 6,000 hours have been spent searching for Mr Mckeague and thousands of frames of CCTV footage trawled through.
The Find Corrie Facebook page quickly gained more than 80,000 followers and there has been a huge campaign on Twitter to locate him.

Suffolk Police has maintained officers are using an "inordinate" amount of resources and are exploring "every possibility".
The force said it was treating the case as a missing person investigation, not a murder investigation.
Nevertheless, police have said the level of resources deployed is similar to that of a murder investigation, with extensive searches by police dogs and forensic officers.

More then £26,000 has gone towards the investigation so far, according to figures from a Freedom of Information request.
Yet, three months on, Mr Mckeague's whereabouts are as big a mystery as the night he disappeared.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38267086

I've cut a lot of info out of the article, yet some small part of it may yet prove the key to solve the mystery. People local to that area of Suffolk may pick up on something, but it seems the Police and Corrie's mother have already covered most of the ground. A real puzzle...

Reading that detailed report reveals some odd stuff.
Mr Mckeague turned right into a loading bay area, known as the "Horseshoe", behind Greggs, at 03:25 BST.
The area is closed off by buildings and the rooftops have been searched and analysed by police.
It has been proven that an individual cannot leave the area on foot without being seen on CCTV, but Mr Mckeague was not caught on camera again.
I'm guessing he walked in there to have a quiet pee without being observed. It's like an enclosed courtyard, with only one way in and out (if you don't count the doorways to the buildings).
Really very weird that the CCTV did not pick him up when he left.
There are 3 possibilities:
(1) He somehow dodged the CCTV when he left.
(2) He stumbled across someone in the middle of a nefarious activity and was dragged into one of the doorways in that area, his body being disposed of later.
(3) A Fortean event occurred...alien abduction, or disappearance through an interdimensional portal.

he didnt have a lot of time to get drunk if he drove in at 10pm, sat in his car on the phone for an hour and then met his pals in a bar, another bar, then to a nightclub where he was ejected for being wasted by a bouncer ... young forces guy like he was, sounds like either recreational drugs or he was spiked ... then sleeping it off in a doorway ? where were his pals ?

he didnt have a lot of time to get drunk if he drove in at 10pm, sat in his car on the phone for an hour and then met his pals in a bar, another bar, then to a nightclub where he was ejected for being wasted by a bouncer ... young forces guy like he was, sounds like either recreational drugs or he was spiked ... then sleeping it off in a doorway ? where were his pals ?
Yeah, not very good pals.
He probably drank shots. Drunk in a very short time.

Corrie Mckeague: Missing airman a 'social hand grenade'
  • 43 minutes ago
  • From the sectionSuffolk
_92858174_de35-1.jpg

Image captionCorrie Mckeague's mother Nicola Urquhart hosted a question and answer session on Facebook
Missing airman Corrie Mckeague is a "social hand grenade" who would get into a stranger's car and put himself at risk, his mother has said.

Nicola Urquhart's question and answer session on Facebook Live was viewed by more than 33,000 people.

Her son has been missing since disappearing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, on 24 September.

Mrs Urquhart said she wanted a man seen walking along Cornhill Walk in the town at 03:35 BST to be identified.

What do we know about Corrie Mckeague's disappearance?

Live: Corrie Mckeague Facebook chat watched by 33k people

During the 90-minute live broadcast, Mrs Urquhart answered questions about her 23-year-old son and the police investigation.

She explained how four vehicles had entered the "horseshoe" area where Mr Mckeague was last seen and that she believes one of them did not have a legitimate reason for being there.

_91454570_corrie_mckeague.jpg
Image copyrightSUFFOLK CONSTABULARY
Image captionCorrie Mckeague, 23, went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds
Mrs Urquhart, who was speaking from her home in Dunfermline, Scotland, also said three men had set fire to a vehicle not far from the site the next day, which she thought was "highly suspicious".

She said it was "imperative" for six more people who have been spotted on CCTV to be identified.

The mother-of-three, who is a serving police officer, also raised questions about the police investigation, saying "basic door-to-door inquiries" were not made and the opposite side from where Mr Mckeague was last seen had still not been searched.

Mr Mckeague, a gunner at RAF Honington, was last seen on security camera walking alone at about 03:25 BST.

Murder inquiry resources
Describing her son, who is one of three brothers, Mrs Urquhart said: "He's not so much a social butterfly, more a social hand grenade who absolutely lives for the moment.

"He will make choices and decisions that are sometimes reckless that other people might not.

"Would he get into a stranger's car? Yes. Would he go to a stranger's house that he's never met before that he's met on a social dating site? Yes.

"He would put himself at risk because Corrie believed he could handle himself."

Suffolk Police have said they are treating the case as a missing person inquiry but the level of resources has been on par with a murder investigation.

_93165732_corriecctv_facebook.jpg
Image copyrightFACEBOOK
Image captionMrs Urquhart said she "particularly" wanted this gentleman spotted on CCTV identified

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38457221

Is there a biggish river or stretch of open water nearby? He might have done that thing that drunk men sometimes do where they feel the urge to pee in water and fall in and drown. I'm sure this has already been thought of though.

Is there a biggish river or stretch of open water nearby? He might have done that thing that drunk men sometimes do where they feel the urge to pee in water and fall in and drown. I'm sure this has already been thought of though.

Had a quick look on googlemaps and the River Lark is about half a mile away.

Had a quick look on googlemaps and the River Lark is about half a mile away.

Yup, I had a gander's too and it looks easy to get to. Surely it'd've been investigated already?

Corrie Mckeague: Mother 'couldn't cope' without support

The mother of an airman who disappeared on a night out has said she "could not have coped" without the support she has had.
Corrie Mckeague, 23, vanished from Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, on 24 September.
Since he went missing, almost 80,000 have joined a Facebook page to help find him and almost £50,000 has been raised to fund a private investigator.

Nicola Urquhart said: "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for everybody wanting to help."
Her son, a gunner at RAF Honington, was last seen at about 03:25 BST walking alone in the Suffolk market town.
He was captured walking into a dead-end loading bay area known as the "horseshoe" but never seen coming out again.

In response to Mrs Urquhart's frustrations with the police investigation, a crowdfunding site to hire a private investigator was set up on December 6.
More than £48,000 has been raised.

Mrs Urquhart, from Dunfermline, said she had not yet selected a private investigator to help find Mr Mckeague.
She said if she did not hire one, the money would go to Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue which has been assisting the search effort.
"Should Corrie be found and need medical treatment then the money will go towards that, otherwise it will go to the charity," she said.

Mrs Urquhart said she had halted her search for a private investigator after Suffolk Police agreed to investigate three men attempting to set fire to a vehicle on 25 September.
Police said the incident had been investigated and there was nothing to link it to Mr Mckeague's disappearance.

A second public search for Mr Mckeague will take place on 22 January. More than 60 volunteers joined in the first on 17 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38471826

The more I read about this case, the more I'm convinced that he got into someone's car - possibly unwillingly.
I'm also thinking that 'the other people' threw his mobile phone into one of the bins nearby and the phone ended up at the local tip before the battery died.

The more I read about this case, the more I'm convinced that he got into someone's car - possibly unwillingly.
I'm also thinking that 'the other people' threw his mobile phone into one of the bins nearby and the phone ended up at the local tip before the battery died.

I have been following this case on Websleuths, it is currently on Thread #12 and no further forward than it was at the beginning. The consensus seems to favour either hook-up gone wrong or random accident en route from Bury St Edmunds to RAF Honington.

I can't decide whether the police mishandled/didn't take it seriously initially or whether there is something else in play, there has been mention by the family of a D-notice.

there has been mention by the family of a D-notice.

Oh dear, if that's the case, then there may be plenty more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps something along the lines of where the powers-that-be fear he's going to be the star of one of those bread-knife videos and are desperately trying to find him before the world Premiere?

I sincerely hope he turns up OK, or even is found to have had a "normal" fatal alcohol-fuelled misadventure, rather than fallen victim to some ISIS-inspired crackpots.

seems to be a likely theory his phone was dashed in a bin waggon, and wound up in a landfill that morning according to geolocation, but the waste site hasnt been searched apparently, which is strange as it suggests his phone/activity would not be useful to the investigation ... lets hope he didnt, for whatever reason, wind up in a dumpster

would almost certainly have surfaced by now if this was the motive ... would have been within first few hours

If they've done the deed already. Out in the sticks, you can keep someone trussed up and fresh for a long time. (Erm, I imagine.) Perhaps if a vulnerable serviceman presented himself so easily, the temptation might be too much to resist, even if it didn't fit in with any up-coming promo dates.

With today's production values to some of those promo/propaganda loops, along with the need to scrupulously edit out all clues to the location and participants, they may be going to town with the fx and soundtrack to make it an Oscar-winner, before getting the sharp tools out.

Corrie Mckeague: Private investigators begin airman search
  • 4 hours ago
  • From the sectionSuffolk
_91454570_corrie_mckeague.jpg
Image copyrightSUFFOLK CONSTABULARY
Image captionCorrie Mckeague went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds
A team of crowdfunded private investigators has been hired to assist in the search for serviceman Corrie Mckeague.

The 23-year-old RAF gunner disappeared from Bury St Edmunds on 24 September after a night out.

More than £51,000 was raised within weeks on an online crowdfunding page.

Mr Mckeague's uncle, Tony Wringe, said experts from McKenzie Intelligence Services (MIS) would start to work on the case from Friday.

What do we know about Corrie Mckeague's disappearance?

Live updates on this story and other Suffolk news

He said: "The team will be working hard to provide the best possible assistance to the Suffolk Police major investigation team."

About 5,000 people had pledged support to the crowdfunding page after the family of Mr Mckeague, from Dunfermline, Fife, expressed concerns about the police investigation.

Mr Wringe, who has a background in counter terrorism, said MIS provides intelligence services to government agencies and Fortune 500 clients.

_92858174_de35-1.jpg

Image captionNicola Urquhart said she "will not stop believing" her son is alive
Mr Mckeague, a gunner at RAF Honington, was last seen at about 03:25 BST walking alone in Bury St Edmunds.

He was seen walking into a dead-end loading bay area known at the "horseshoe" but not seen coming out again.

His mother Nicola Urquhart told ITV's This Morning on Thursday that she "will not stop believing" her son is alive until there is evidence to prove otherwise.

A second public search for Mr Mckeague will take place on 22 January. More than 60 volunteers joined in the first on 17 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38519456

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Honington
ref the Mckeague dissappearance. RAF Honington appears to be a depot for the RAF Regiment - basically the RAF's own infantry and presumably run and trained along Army lines. The very first mental association it provoked was "Deepcut" - the Army base where mysterious deaths happened, which has a history of bullying, abuse of recruits, weak officering and endemic corruption at all levels. Is it just possible this is the RAF's equivalent scandal-in-the-making, RAF management knows it, and this is the reason for things not being as straightforward as they might be - and the suspicion of a cover-up going on? Is this the Air Force answer to Deepcut, I wonder? Interested. Digging.

Back