• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

M. Night Shyamalan Films

A

Anonymous

Coming Soon - Crop Circles: The Movie

Starring Mel Gibson as Reg Presley?!

Check this out for details.

They advertised this movie during the Superbowl yesterday.

And it's not even coming out until August.

I saw the trailer 3 weeks ago when I went to see"The Mothman Prophecies".I don't believe they're hyping the thing now when it doesn't even come out until August!

I don't know if it'll be any good or not,it was written by the guy who wrote"The Sixth Sense",which I liked.

Signs looks absolutely stunning. I was pissing my pants after watching the trailers, so I'm not sure how good for my mental health it's going to be to see this film, but I will anyway.

What about Braveheart? Lethal Weapon I II III?

Bruce Willis was convincing in Unbreakable N'est pas? Night isn't scared of the Alpha male film star it seems. And Joaquin Phoenix is a very good actor as well.

He also has short legs in proportion to the rest of his body.

Carole

Who cares about the size of his legs?
When you look like that, no one gets past looking at your face. ;)
I loved him in Conspiracy Theory.

I also saw the trailer, and thought the movie could be very good, I hope they go for a more subtle suspense generating film rather than an alien gore fest :blah:

"SIGNS"

Hey guys (and ladies),

Anybody get a chance to see this movie yet? It is actually pretty good! I enjyoed it a lot. I highly recommend this movie to everyone reading this post. And for those of you who have seen the movie I would like to hear your comments onj the movie (fav. part etc.) and try not to spoil a lot of material. We do not want to ruin it for those who have not seen it yet.
:D

Sorry...I saw it last night and was severely let down. :(

Maybe my hopes were too high, I dunno.

I have been pretty impressed with M. Knight Shaymalan (sp.?) so far, so maybe I was putting too much pressure on him to come through on this Fortean subject.

I'd give it a 4 out of ten.

-Sudi
disappointed

I liked it and my husband didn't. I do agree with the cinema reviewers who said that the last 10 minutes were bogus.

Signs isn't for everyone...

I saw Signs last weekend and I was stunned by it all. My family lives in a area similiar to the family in the movie, I have two dogs, and my faith has been tested...this movie is all my nightmares rolled into one film! I loved it.
That being said, if your only interested in the mystery of the crop circles, I think your missing the point the director is trying to make.
This movie is about faith - loss, hate, rebirth. To make this movie entertaining he made the tests unbearable and added fear, but in the end, it's back to faith. And yes there are some plot holes, but I got over them pretty quickly. See it and judge for yourself, just make sure you see it with and open mind. It's not your typical popcorn film....

Taike the film at its face value.
It's not an exploration of esoteric phenomena, it's the story of a family.
Judge it on that criterion, not on your (our) own criteria of what we thought it might have been (based on the trailers).
It's effectively spooky.
Well anyway, it spooked me.

I thought the film was awesome until we learned what the signs were for. Then it took a big turn to the goofy. Liked the use of tin foil hats.

All my dreams, er...nightmares

garrick92 said:
No, no, no! Or at least, partially 'no, no, no!'

'Signs' has a plot twist that makes 'Sixth Sense' look like a Janet and John book. If you take it at face value, you're missing a fuckin' freaky and audacious film-making experiment.

Shyamalan is a very clever director. Do you really think he'd turn out a film that looks as simple as 'Signs' does at first viewing, if there wasn't more to it than met the eye ..?

I didn't even realize this was a Shyamalan film until I got to the theatre. I loved this movie. And I also noted a lot of thing that made me walk out of the theatre saying to myself "I gotta get this movie on DVD"

Plus, even the "slasher flick" action was well done and unlike many true slasher flicks, the timing was perfection and it was never ever over-the-top gore, just frightening enough to add that needed element, like a sprinkle of cocoa on a latte.

Did anyone besides me pick up that Bo kept getting "feelings" that had obvious validity to her family. i.e. they had proof before that Bo's "feelings" had a real basis and might come true?

Noticed a lttle article in today's Daily Express (10.09.02 p32). Reg Presley, ex-frontman for The Troggs (remember them?), was hired as a consultant for Signs. Interviewed for the paper he states his belief that human beings are not from Earth and gives the fact that we are the only animals that have to squint as proof.

That's that settled, then.

I can confirm that Signs is absolutely storming, and Mel puts nary a foot wrong.

Saw it on a pretty crappy pakistani pirate DVD, and can confirm that at stages i was cacking my pants.

Not into movie spoilers, but the scrapbook scene is superb.

Really looking forward to seeing it as Shyamalananam(or whatever) intended at the Kino.

Laters people

Yeh, I saw it last week.
Interesting, spooky in parts and no it wasn't an 'alien gore-fest'.
***I give it a thumbs up, 3.5 stars out of 5.***
:)

Saw 'Signs' last night and it comes across as a low-key remake of War Of The Worlds, Independence Day, Mars Attacks, etc. concentrating on one family's experiences while the rest of the world is only seen through TV news footage. I enjoyed it but not as much as I had hoped I would ***½ or 7/10

In comparison :
'The Sixth Sense' **** 8/10
'Unbreakable' ****½ 9/10
IMHO

I'm with P. Younger on the lack of accuracy: Mel Gibson's cavalier disregard for historical accuracy in Braveheart and The Patriot was appalling.

In my opinion the only Mel Gibson films worth watching are:

Mad Max (1979) ****
Gallipoli (1981) ****½
Mad Max II (1981) ****½
The Year Of Living Dangerously (1982) ****
The Bounty (1984) ****
Braveheart (1995) **** who cares about historical accuracy when the battle scenes are this good!
Ransom (1996) ***½
Chicken Run (2000) ****
and now…
Signs (2002) ***½

Don’t think I’ve forgotten any?
Oh yeah. Fairy-Tale : A True Story was a good little picture **** that Mel appears in for about 2 seconds, but a very important 2 seconds.

signs is ***** until about 3/4 of the way through then it has a sloppy * ending. Badly thought through and badly excecuted

worth seeing but was left with that bitter taste of disappointment

Spoliers ahoy! If you've not seen it and think you might like to DO NOT READ ON!

It's an enjoyable film, but the end ruins it! For a few reasons...

a) The alien looks like summat from Babylon Chuffin' Five

b) If the aliens are alergic to water surely they'll be scuppered AS SOON AS IT RAINS! And notice one of the crop circles is in good old Wakefield, spiritual home of miserable downpours?

c) Would the aliens really scream "Retreat, lads! These Monkeymen have big sticks and hosepipes! We never thought of that! LEG IT!"?

Good film otherwise though. I think it would have been better if the aliens would only have been glimpsed, ie the invasion from the viewpoint of people watching it unfold on their screens, rather than anyone actually involved, focusing purely with the emotional aspects. It ALMOST gets there, but the end is silly.

Back