• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

M. Night Shyamalan Films

Mel was in Signs, which isn't part of the Unbreakable "universe". Anyway, the trailer looks pretty much as you'd expect, c'mon Nightie, you must have some surprises up your sleeve that people can say they saw a mile off.

Mel was in Signs, which isn't part of the Unbreakable "universe". Anyway, the trailer looks pretty much as you'd expect, c'mon Nightie, you must have some surprises up your sleeve that people can say they saw a mile off.
The surprise is Mel Gibson's character turns up, making Signs part of the "universe", and I saw it a mile off ;)

The only M Night film I've seen is The Village which I thought was OK but I guessed that creatures were people in costumes from the trailer and I guessed the other twist halfway through. I also guessed the twist in The Sixth Sense from a combination of the trailer and being told there was a twist.

Glass sounds dreadful:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a...eakable-split-m-night-shyamalan-bruce-willis/

in fairness most of his films sound pretty awful to me.

The only M Night film I've seen is The Village which I thought was OK but I guessed that creatures were people in costumes from the trailer and I guessed the other twist halfway through. I also guessed the twist in The Sixth Sense from a combination of the trailer and being told there was a twist.

Glass sounds dreadful:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a...eakable-split-m-night-shyamalan-bruce-willis/

in fairness most of his films sound pretty awful to me.

I liked Glass, review to follow.

I liked Glass, review to follow.

I'm interested in your take, it sounds "interesting", I can't not put that in quotes. A friend saw it and liked it with many caveats, he also thought what he liked about it would put most people off.

I'm interested in your take, it sounds "interesting", I can't not put that in quotes. A friend saw it and liked it with many caveats, he also thought what he liked about it would put most people off.

I can empathise with your friend.

This is one where it's important to hide even early developments in the film.

Oooohh, how mysterious! I like his films and will watch this on TV if I can't force Techy to take me to t'picatures tonight.

good to see a spoiler-free approach to this breaking film

Glass: The third in a trilogy which began with Unbreakable, continued in Split and now reaches it's conclusion(?) in Glass. This film constructs a new narrative of Superheroes and Supervillains only to simultaneously anatomize that chronicle. David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is happy to be a low-rent Superhero, beating up petty crooks but when out on one of his "walks" he literally bumps into Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy). Crumb has abducted four cheerleaders and Dunn fights him to save them. Far from being pleased with Dunn the authorities consign him to a psychiatric hospital along with Crumb. The special asylum wing has a third occupant, Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson), the brittle boned super-intelligent villain who has brooded there for years. Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson), believes that the trio are suffering from Superhero Syndrome and wants to break them from this delusion, she believes that their supposed enhanced powers can be explained away by the use of sleight of hand and people seeing what they wanted to see. She is determined to cure them

So the game commences, Price believes that people with super powers have always existed and that narrative has been related through fairytales and folklore and in modern day comics. Indeed Dunn's son Joseph (Spencer Treat Clark) has an epiphany in a comic book store which allows him to finally understand what is really happening. Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy), kidnapped by Crumb in Split, undergoes a similar experience and shows that she is no longer a victim. Shyamalan exploits the public's fascination with comic book characters to suggest that their powers are a creation of the awe and acclamation of those very multitudes.

Shyamalan can't seem to make up his mind whether he is being light hearted or serious, do you laugh or shiver at how Price introduces himself? Can Dunn's raincape which results in him being called The Green Guardian or The Overseer be anything other than a joke? This film is a strange mixture of The X-Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest with touches of Dan Brown and even a homage to King Kong. While the battles in Glass may pale in comparison to those in The Avengers they are powerful nonetheless as they involve the clash of Archetypes. Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan this film will delight, annoy and confound. 8/10.

Last edited:
Glass: The third in a trilogy which began with Unbreakable, continued in Split and now reaches it's conclusion(?) in Glass. This film constructs a new narrative of Superheroes and Supervillains only to simultaneously anatomize that chronicle. David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is happy to be a low-rent Superhero, beating up petty crooks but when out on one of his "walks" he literally bumps into Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy). Crumb has abducted four cheerleaders and Dunn fights him to save them. Far from being pleased with Dunn the authorities consign him to a psychiatric hospital along with Crumb. The special asylum wing has a third occupant, Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson), the brittle boned super-intelligent villain who has brooded there for years. Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson), believes that the trio are suffering from Superhero Syndrome and wants to break them from this delusion, she believes that their supposed enhanced powers can be explained away by the use of sleight of hand and people seeing what they wanted to see. She is determined to cure them

So the game commences, Price believes that people with super powers have always existed and that narrative has been related through fairytales and folklore and in modern day comics. Indeed Dunn's son Joseph (Spencer Treat Clark) has an epiphany in a comic book store which allows him to finally understand what is really happening. Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy), kidnapped by Crumb in Split, undergoes a similar experience and shows that she is no longer a victim. Shyamalan exploits the public's fascination with comic book characters to suggest that their powers are a creation of the awe and acclamation of those very multitudes.

Shyamalan can't seem to make up his mind whether he is being light hearted or serious, do you laugh or shiver at how Price introduces himself? Can Dunn's raincape which results in him being called The Green Guardian or The Overseer be anything other than a joke? This film is a strange mixture of The X-Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest with touches of Dan Brown and even a homage to King Kong. While the battles in Glass may pale in comparison to those in The Avengers they are powerful nonetheless as they involve the clash of Archetypes. Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan this film will delight, annoy and confound. 8/10.

Sorry Rammon, still sounds like glASS to me.

HURR.

David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is happy to be a low-rent Superhero, beating up petty crooks ...
that was what i most liked about unbreakable, willis as half-assed dad, half-assed husband and half-assed super-hero ... he nailed the role of a fairly unintelligent man who stumbles upon his gift to as much amazement as everyone else ... its a pretty unique piece

saw glass tonight, havent seen split as cant abide smackavoy ... pretty poorly written stuff, hardly any good jackson/willis in it ... ah well

ps. i did notice mr glass' x-rays shown early on seemed to be labelled FORTEAN but couldnt make out the rest, split-second shot ...

Last edited:
Back