• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

M. Night Shyamalan Films

^^^^Definately don't read that post if you plan on seeing this. ^^^^

That'll undoubtedly spoil it for you.

I believe the film plot to question religion and faith issues more than the paranormal. However, the film is fantastic. Excellently acted, great dialogue, and the feeling of eerieness is maximum throughout. Very well shot IMO.

Go see it.

Unless you demand far too much from your films.

Wastrel said:
Interviewed for the paper he states his belief that human beings are not from Earth and gives the fact that we are the only animals that have to squint as proof.

I dont have to squint, I choose to squint.

Cats squint all the frickin' time! They're squint-tastic!

Clint Eastwood actually fell into a cauldron of grit when he was a baby and thus developed his famous facial expression as a constant reminder of the tiny particles that went in his eyes and made him squeal.

The movie was fine as another dark and moody M. Night Shamalamadingdong character study, but holy hell, that ending really, really sucked ass.

It would have been one thing to make the invaders a lot less tangible, so one could get the impression that whatever was happening were the hallucinations of a stressed and paranoid father. But this movie leaves no such out.

Not to mention it features the most ill-equipped alien invaders in cinema history. Just asinine.

I liked it.

I did, however wonder how they would cope if it rained during their invasion.

The fact that the story focussed on the one family's emotions, opinions and fears without cross referencing with too many 'outsiders' gave the whole film an eerie realness.

More than one time I thought "This is exactly how it would be, if it happened".

I would call it a psychological sf thriller rather than a horror, but worth watching IMO.

I agree, Quicksilver. I loved this film, and especially liked the way the first real view of one of the aliens was handled, with the news footage of the kids party. Great stuff, it made me jump! :)

Yeah, Spooks the kid's party scene was well scary - the screaming kids as the grey walks across the passageway was so real, it was as if you were watching a piece of news footage for real.

The part where the alien is on the roof skittering around is creepy too.

In all, it's the only recent film that has given me the heebeegeebees and made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

They're coming, i tell ee :cool:

There were some good parts to the film, the kid's party, the corn field, everyone glued to the tv. The acting was good, especially the kids. There were some entertaining moments, but overall I think it was quite poor and almost getting into the realm of spielberg cheesiness [blech]. I though it progressed onto the whole Aliens are invading way to quickly when it had such potential to explore more psychological leads. The ending was complete and utter tosh.

3.5/10

Quicksilver said:
In all, it's the only recent film that has given me the heebeegeebees and made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

You haven't seen The Ring, have you? :eek!!!!: OMG Now that is scary! One of the few films that kept me awake at night wishing there was someone there with me apart from my hot water bottle that I could hug! :eek!!!!:

A good film, paced well, but a little too sentimental in parts for my liking. If M Night had laid off the sugar, then it would have been a much better film.

And the alien -- unfortunately -- sucked a big fat one.

Ive just watched the film signs.
Is it just me or is it a crass atempt at propaganda, are all aliens invading bodysnatchers.
Why did they create crop circles as some kind of map?
I would have thought this would be a waste of time local land marks are just as good as they seemed to want to remain invivible why create someting so obvious.
Why is it they didnt have the ability to brake down locked doors?
Come on REALLY!

Technology to take them across the Galaxy, but no crowbars...

It was the tinfoil hats that got me . . .

Carole

No Signs, no.

Signs was a hideous movie. End of story.

nowt really

the only sign showen was a total lack of imagination.
sad really

Wasn't Signs the one where the aliens are allergic to water? The most common compound molecule in the universe? (Or one of them at any rate.)

Now I'm all for aliens with weird body chemistry, but what the hell are they doing here if they can't afford to get wet?

I have to jump in here and post in defense of Signs. Ignoring the lack of realism, etc I thought it was a very tense, edge of your seat movie. There are not many films that actually make me jump but this one did on several occasions and in fact it's one of my favourite films (along with Dog Soldiers)! :)

Come on the plot line to this film had bigger holes than the titanic.
Seemed more like an alien version of jaws.

anome said:
Wasn't Signs the one where the aliens are allergic to water? The most common compound molecule in the universe? (Or one of them at any rate.)

You are kidding? What a stupid idea! Our atmosphere- in places where crops grow, anyway- is full of the stuff. Didn't they wear spacesuits?

The aliens etc. were a mere "literary" or plot device. The movie was about faith, fate and predestiny. Excellent movie, but not to everyone's taste I'm sure. I mean, if you were ardently anticipating a movie about aliens and crop circles, yes, it would have sucked.

hospitaller said:
The aliens etc. were a mere "literary" or plot device. The movie was about faith, fate and predestiny.

The Greeks dealt with those things with far more success than Hollywood is capable of.

Erm taking a look at the case the dvd came in shows you a picture of........................
And on the back,not one mention of faith.

Fortean source material-some not so obvious ones anyway

Really wanted to like Signs as it had all the hallmarks for me to warrant a truly good movie. However it was a major disappointment and some of the acting was a total abomination. I could see what the director was trying to get at. There were some brave attempts to do something interesting but it failed in my eyes badly. Saw the making of it and was surprised at the amount of referance to fortean stuff i.e the news scene were the alien is first filmed a the kids birthday party in South America is based on the Patterson Bigfoot movie and the Varginhia UFOnaut case.
Kinda liked Unbreakable his previous movie, Signs did very well at the Box office but no sign of sequal-excuse the pun.

Tin Finger said:
Erm taking a look at the case the dvd came in shows you a picture of........................

Don't judge a DVD by its cover ;)

The Greeks dealt with those things with far more success than Hollywood is capable of.

Most definitely, the Greeks dealt with most things with far more success than Hollywood is capable of. I think it was Tony Benn who pointed out that the target audience for most Hollywood movies was "some 13 year old in a drive-in in Texas" :D

First I thought you hadn't seen the movie, but you have. Have another viewing and see (1) what is it that Mel Gibson's character has plainly lost as a preacher/minister? (2) What is it that he has restored at the end of the movie?
I'd love to know what an extreme Calvinist would think of it...

This reminds me of the time I almost had the pleasure of the plot of Vanilla Sky spoiled before I saw it by overhearing a guy loudly discussing it on the train. He, however, was of the opinion that the movie was about a frozen dog, with the result that my susbsequent viewing pleasure was not only unsullied but given a quirky boost! :D

Plotline

Yes i agree in the film Mel Gibson/faith/car crash/etc.
This is a sub plot to add some kind of emotional element to the film although very crudley.
The whole faith vs demonic aliens thing, where at the last moment he decides ( as a ex man of the cloth) to advise his brother to atempt to clobber to death another being.
This is laughable at best.

This suposedly advanced race of beings only weapon against us was somehow poking a straw up our noses and gassing us!

Im sure his faith in god was restored.

Back