• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

M. R. James

Spookdaddy said:
I hope this is going to make someone's day.

Over the last couple of years I've been regularly sifting the internet on the offchance that I might find the one Argo/Hordern/M R James collection that I still don't have a copy of.

Anyway, finally this page has appeared.

Unfortunately - for me - it only contains one of the stories that I don't already have. Fortunately - for you - it contains several of these very hard to find Hordern recordings.

You're a star - a pity that I already have all of those (and a few more on the original audio tapes) but great for those who have been looking for them. :)

Apparently there is a fourth tape set containing the following:

"Stories I Have Tried to Write", "The Uncommon Prayer-Book", "A Warning
to the Curious", "A Neighbour's Landmark" and "The Rose Garden."

We have 'A Warning ... ' but would love to find the rest. :)

Hmmm, links not working any more (except for No. 13 and Rats). The site they link to appears to be down.

Hogarth999 said:
Hmmm, links not working any more (except for No. 13 and Rats). The site they link to appears to be down.

Keep trying. The site and/or the links appear to have been up and down since I found it at the end of last year. Yesterday morning, first thing, none of the links worked - but, as a test, I managed to download everything later on in the morning before I posted.

colpepper1 said:
...The BBC Oh Whistle worked brilliantly but it wasn't OWAICTYML of the book. Watching it again this Christmas I realised how much wide angle lenses and deep focus were used and distorted sound, it was basically Film Noir UK style. Deep focus is very difficult to cut around and they did a pretty good job. Edward Dmytryk meets Edwardian scholar.

Miller's Whistle and I'll Come To You is kind of in a class of it's own, I think - reaching, at times, almost poetic dimensions. I don't think many other films have ever managed to squeeze so much fear out of so little - a sheet and some sticks, in effect.

I once heard a radio interview in which Miller spoke quite disparagingly of M R James stories, and seemed almost to disown the film - which is a shame, because, as far as I'm concerned, it's a high point in the career of someone who otherwise appears to have made a living out of stating the bleeding obvious in such sonorous and portentious tones that it seems to have convinced those around him that he's a staggering genius.

Spookdaddy said:
I once heard a radio interview in which Miller spoke quite disparagingly of M R James stories...

I also heard that. Jonathan Millar, like John Cleese, succumbed to a tendency to critically deconstruct what they did until it didn't work anymore. James was probably the fallout in some intellectual battle he was having with himself.

I've just re-read Charles Palliser's The Unburied, which I thought I'd already recommended (and possibly I have, on another thread).

I'm veering off-thread, I know; this isn't James or even, primarily, a ghost story. However the setting, props and atmosphere are so Jamesian that I've always thought that Palliser must be a fan. Lonely academics, creaky tumbledown houses in foggy cathedral closes full of bitchy ecclesiastics, lost manuscripts - all very reminiscent. Thoroughly satisfying read, and one I suspect any fan of MR James will enjoy.

I have very nice readings from Librivox. Some on that last site are the same ones.

Some time ago I finally managed to track down the hardest to find set of Michael Hordern readings - I now have the full Argo collection, and the satisfaction that gives me leads me to suspect that I am a complete nerd.

But do you listen to one every night to help you sleep? ;)

As I may have mentioned, one night last year I fell asleep to Casting The Runes, possibly only hearing as far as the Final Magic Lantern Slide, and was suddenly woken by the cat's cold wet nose against mine… :shock:

Spookdaddy said:
Some time ago I finally managed to track down the hardest to find set of Michael Hordern readings - I now have the full Argo collection, and the satisfaction that gives me leads me to suspect that I am a complete nerd.

Not a nerd, just somebody with great taste. :D

Do you have a complete listing of the Argo collection? I thought I had one and I DO have many of the recordings, but I still think I may be missing one or two.

Wherd did you manage to source yours from?

Thanks

Spookdaddy said:

He has an wonderful voice.

Hogarth999 said:
...Do you have a complete listing of the Argo collection? I thought I had one and I DO have many of the recordings, but I still think I may be missing one or two.

Wherd did you manage to source yours from?

Thanks

The collection I found hardest to track down was, A Warning to the Curious and other Ghost Stories - from, I think, 1985. This compilation includes: Stories I Have Tried to Write; The Uncommon Prayer-Book; A Warning to the Curious; A Neighbour's Landmark; The Rose Garden.

Unfortunately, an online source for this no longer exists - it also seems that some of the Argo recordings have dropped off the list of those available at the link's I have previously provided.

If you're desperate I'm sure I can help you out with finding a source somewhere - PM me.

Mark Gatiss is great, in fact were I an advocate of the love which dare not mumble its name into the pillow, I think I would probably stalk him and send tokens of mawkish affection.

As it is I am content to say 'Solid chap , would enjoy a beer and a long chat with him' and leave it at that.

I once stood behind Mark Gatiss in a till-queue in Debenhams in Manchester; he was buying underwear, so was I - spooky, or what?

Anyway, looking forward to it. (I’d love to see Gatiss do The Story of a Disappearance and an Appearance – I think the Punch and Judy element would suit his style of the macabre admirably.)

On a tangent – a couple of years back I recorded another of the League doing an interesting radio documentary on the stories of Robert Aickman, called The Unsettled Dust (I think it was Jeremy Dyson - I'll have to hunt around the PC for it). Well worth seeing if you can track a source on the net.

Yay, it's Spookdaddy! :yeay: In the M.R. James thread! That's the best combination ever! :blissed:

(Erm...sorry for the outburst. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.)

Crikey - no-one’s been that pleased to see me since I smuggled a bottle of vodka on a school trip to York Minster; I knew that wearing Lynx deodorant at my age was a bad idea.

A while back a friend of mine sent me a copy of an LRB review of the Oxford edition of the stories. It's okay, but it repeats some of the clichés I think appear too often, and with too little justification, in reviews of James work. (Sorry, the review doesn't seem to be available online - you'll have to take my word for it.)

For instance:

But the ghosts themselves are so often women, spurned or murdered or guilt-ridden: Mrs Mothersole in ‘The Ash Tree’, Ann Clark in ‘Martin’s Close’, Theodosia Bryan in ‘A Neighbour’s Landmark’ and the terrible figure in ‘a shapeless sort of blackened sun-bonnet’ in ‘Wailing Well’.

Well, actually no. Of the thirty-one stories in my battered old Penguin edition, a grand total of six revolve around female ghosts. (Another one, Lost Hearts, has one of each sex - and the Haunted Dolls House has a mix.) So 'so often women' is not just pushing it, it's more or less nonsense.

The author of the review then rather hedges his bets:

And even when the ghosts and their victims are both male, the erotic overtones still hum. How horrified James would have been to find ‘Lost Hearts’ or ‘The Residence at Whitminster’ included in an anthology of gay ghost stories, but both would certainly deserve their place, especially the latter.

Really? I have to say that neither actually jumps out at me as particularly homo-erotic. (The author of the review misses the one story which I actually do think contains elements which might conceivably be read this way - An Evening's Entertainment.)

I'm not one of those people who is averse to the idea of subtexts, both conscious and unconscious (the opposite idea, that it's always just about the story, seems ridiculous) - but I can't help feeling that sometimes people are telling you much more about their own subtext than they are about the thing they are reviewing.

And on that note, did anyone ever read Hugh Walpole's Mrs Lunt, which I posted a link to some while back? I'd be really interested to know if the tensions I sensed were apparent to anyone else. I first heard this story in a very good reading by Andrew Sachs on a Penguin audio collection of ghost stories and I did wonder if it may have been that his nuancing over-emphasised the relevant elements - and sometimes once you’ve got the idea in your head it's very difficult to get over first impressions.

That said, Walpole was gay and kind of preoccupied with the search for what he called the 'ideal friend' (and there's a fair bit of play on this idea in Mrs Lunt, albeit without any mention of sexuality). However, I didn’t know any of that when I first came to the story - which maybe means that it's a very good story with which an author told me something indirectly which he wasn't actually able to put directly on paper.

I think it's probably a good example of sexuality being an element of the ghost story. The works of M R James, I think, are not.

Edit: Actually, my apologies - looks like I didn't post a link to the story before, and I can now only find a partial version on the internet. Bugger!

BFI to release "Classic Ghost Stories, the 1986 collection of MR James tales read by Robert Powell"... and that's not all!

THE BFI GOES GOTHIC THIS AUTUMN

As part of their current Gothic: The Dark Heart of Film project, the BFI has a whole bunch of rarely seen, much sought-after (mostly) British television horror lined up between September and October for DVD release.

In September, three ghostly tales from the Children's Film Foundation – The Man from Nowhere (1976), Haunter of the Deep (1984) and Out of the Darkness (1985) - will be released as Scary Stories. That same month also sees a three disc dual format edition of Lon Chaney's 1925 Phantom of the Opera and a remastered version of the 1940 chiller Gaslight.

In October, there's Play for Today episode Robin Redbreast, a 1970 tale of 'folk horror' (said to be an influnec on The Wicker Man); the surviving three episodes of 1972 series Dead of Night (including the much acclaimed episode The Exorcism); and Classic Ghost Stories, the 1986 collection of MR James tales read by Robert Powell. There's also an expanded six disc version of last year's fantastic series of BBC horror Ghost Stories for Christmas.

Most excitingly, November sees the 1979 Everyman episode Schalcken the Painter, based on the Le Fanu story and unseen since its original broadcast, and the even rarer 1977 anthology series Supernatural.

After the success of Ghost Stories for Christmas last year, it's great to see more long lost British TV horror being revived by the BFI. These releases promise to be the essential titles of the Autumn and Winter.
http://www.strangethingsarehappening.co ... othic.html

I wish that SOMEBODY would re-release all of the excellent narrations by Sir Michael Hordern - are they stuck in some kind of rights limbo?

Heckler20 said:
Mark Gatiss is great, in fact were I an advocate of the love which dare not mumble its name into the pillow, I think I would probably stalk him and send tokens of mawkish affection.

As it is I am content to say 'Solid chap , would enjoy a beer and a long chat with him' and leave it at that.

Pfft, at my gym I've seen big muscular bodybuilders point to a photo of David Beckham, sigh and say 'I'd f*ckin' turn for'im!' :lol:

Details of the new BFI DVD:

Classic Ghost Stories of MR James
Release date 28 Oct 2013

The BFI presents another volume of classic BBC ghost stories adapted from the pen of M.R.James. These partially-dramatized readings by actor Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, Mahler, Tommy) were originally broadcast to terrified audiences over the Christmas of 1986. Made available here for the very first time since then, these blood-curdling tales include The Mezzotint, The Ash Tree, Wailing Well, The Rose Garden and Oh, Whistle and Ill Come to You, My Lad.

Also included as an extensive bonus on this release are the three M.R. James episodes - The Mezzotint, A School Story and The Diary of Mr Poynter - from the 1980 BBC TV series Spine Chillers, read by celebrated actor Michael Bryant (star of the 1974 BBC Ghost Story for Christmas episode The Treasure of Abbot Thomas)

Extras
* First time on DVD for these BBC TV adaptations of classic M.R.James stories
* All five episodes of the rare BBC TV series Classic Ghost Stories (1986)
* Three episodes of Spine Chillers (1980), produced by the BBC's Jackanory team
* Illustrated booklet with new writing and full credits
http://filmstore.bfi.org.uk/acatalog/info_26503.html

It's £12.04 (with free Super Saver delivery if you can wait a day or two ;) ) at Amazon.

I have pre-ordered and will be ambushing the postman every day of the last week of October. :D

Oh yeah, and last night we went to a special one-off big-screen showing of Night Of The Demon. 8)

What a lot of lovely detail shows up on the full-sized screen. I particularly enjoyed the paintings and prints on Karswell's walls. Would love to see them close up. Some were quite gruesome. :shock:

The Tractate Middoth: Christmas TV preview

THE Christmas ghost story is a great British tradition, and one Mark Gatiss was only too happy to continue with one of spook-writer MR James's most atmospheric tales, The Tractate Middoth.

In a quiet academic library, John Eldred seeks the assistance of young Mr Garrett in his search for a seemingly obscure Hebrew text.

But there's something unusual about this book - and something not entirely scholarly about Eldred's intentions.

Soon, Garrett's hunt for the Tractate Middoth provokes terrifying apparitions in the library and a vengeful menace from beyond the grave.

"The wonderful adaptations of Mr James's tales that I saw on TV as a child have been a lasting inspiration to me," admits Gatiss.

"I'm delighted to restore the tradition of a ghost story for Christmas by bringing to life a personal favourite, one of James's most atmospheric, thrilling, and downright scary tales."

The drama is complemented by MR James: Ghost Writer (Christmas Day, 10.05pm, BBC2) in which Gatiss steps into the mind of the enigmatic English master of the supernatural story.

A long-time admirer, Gatiss explores how this donnish Victorian bachelor, conservative by nature, and a devout Anglican, created tales that continue to chill more than a century on.

We join him on an atmospheric journey from James's childhood home in Suffolk to Eton and King's College, Cambridge, the two institutions where he spent most of his life, venturing into ancient churches, dark cloisters, and echoing libraries along the way.

By following in James's footsteps, Gatiss attempts to uncover the secrets of his inspiration.
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Tractate ... story.html

PREVIEW Mark Gatiss On The Tractate Middoth

Mark Gatiss is resurrecting an old Christmas tradition this year by bringing a spooky MR James tale to TV. The Tractate Middoth marks the Sherlock and Doctor Who writer’s debut as a director (he’s also written the adaptation), and he says he won’t be playing around too much with the story of an arcane Hebrew text, a disputed will and the horror prowling through a library

“I’ve been quite faithful,” the increasingly multi-hyphenate Mark Gatiss tells SFX on the set of the BBC Two adaptation. “There’s no reason to mess around with it. If you’re trying to do MR James then he happily wrote an essay which was essentially ‘How I do it’, so you’d be foolish not to honour that. It’s the slow accumulation of detail, humour – a lot of humour – and then a kind of punch in the guts. It’s a lot like the set-up of a joke: it’s set-up, set-up, punchline. And it’s really beguiling, to be lured in, in a very Christmassy way, by a sort of fireside story.”

As for how Gatiss is going to bring the story’s sense of unseen dread to TV…

“I’m going to make a decision in the edit about how much we see of the ghost, but the interesting thing is that although James had a reputation for reticence, he really goes for it. There are really very horrible descriptions, and it’s beautiful, beautiful prose, because it’s so spare. You have to choose your moments and not overdo it.”

The Tractate Middoth airs on BBC Two over Christmas Day at 9.30pm. Read more in the new issue of SFX, on sale Wednesday 11 December.
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/12/10/sfx-243 ... e-middoth/

I once stood behind Mark Gatiss in a till-queue in Debenhams in Manchester; he was buying underwear, so was I - spooky, or what?

Maybe it's your av pic plus the time of year, only I'm now thinking out you meeting in similar circumstances to what happens in a certain Christmas episode of Father Ted, in the underwear department. :lol:

Which is the MR James story where a guy gets haunted by a furry draft excluder?

I enjoyed the Mark Gatiss programmes tonight, the drama wasn't that spooky but it was nicely done, though the documentary was excellent and complemented it really well, made you understand the stories that bit better.

Back