• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Macabre Place Names

It was a meticulously mapped out journey dreamed up over six years - and certainly not for any prudish travellers.

Beginning in Edinburgh’s Bellenden Gardens, two mischievous brothers drove 2,000 miles on an epic ‘Rude Trip’ of Britain - visiting every place with a naughty name.

The places the brothers visited: Bellenden Gardens, Cumwhinton, Cocklakes Cotehill, Cockermouth, Clithero, Fanny Street, Slack Bottom Road, Upperthong, Penistone, Butthole Lane, Willey, Titty Ho, Bell End, The Knob, Lower Swell, Old Sodbury, Butcombe, Shaftesbury, Shitterton, Sandyballs, Pound Bottom landfill, Cocking, Lickfold, S. Harting, Wilsford Cum Lake, Fingringhoe, Slutshole Lane, Feltwell, Fanny Hands Lane, Scunthorpe, Rimswell, Wetwang, Coxhoe and back to Bellenden Gardens.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....lenden-gardens-to-slack-bottom-road-1-4918342

Thank goodness, l thought I’d lost my sweary mojo.

maximus otter

Found it--back of the sofa.

Mojo_jojo_aparincia2.png

In Blackburn they used to brew Thwaites' beer. Unfortunately in Blackburn it was often pronounced "twats".

It was a meticulously mapped out journey dreamed up over six years - and certainly not for any prudish travellers.

Beginning in Edinburgh’s Bellenden Gardens, two mischievous brothers drove 2,000 miles on an epic ‘Rude Trip’ of Britain - visiting every place with a naughty name.

The places the brothers visited: Bellenden Gardens, Cumwhinton, Cocklakes Cotehill, Cockermouth, Clithero, Fanny Street, Slack Bottom Road, Upperthong, Penistone, Butthole Lane, Willey, Titty Ho, Bell End, The Knob, Lower Swell, Old Sodbury, Butcombe, Shaftesbury, Shitterton, Sandyballs, Pound Bottom landfill, Cocking, Lickfold, S. Harting, Wilsford Cum Lake, Fingringhoe, Slutshole Lane, Feltwell, Fanny Hands Lane, Scunthorpe, Rimswell, Wetwang, Coxhoe and back to Bellenden Gardens.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....lenden-gardens-to-slack-bottom-road-1-4918342
Missed out Twatt in Orkney
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twatt,_Orkney

Here's good one, I think.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump (Wiki)

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is a buffalo jump located where the foothills of the Rocky Mountains begin to rise from the prairie 18 km (11.2 mi) west of Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada on highway 785. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home of the museum of Blackfoot culture. Joe Crowshoe Sr. OC (1903 - 1999) – Aapohsoy’yiis (Weasel Tail) – a ceremonial Elder of the Piikani Nation in southern Alberta, was instrumental in the development of the site. The Joe Crow Shoe Sr. Lodge is dedicated to his memory. He dedicated his life to preserving Aboriginal culture and promoting the relationship between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people and in 1998 was awarded the National Aboriginal Achievement Award for "saving the knowledge and practices of the Blackfoot people."[1]

In Blackfoot, the name for the site is Estipah-skikikini-kots. According to legend, a young Blackfoot wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.[2]

Here's good one, I think.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump (Wiki)

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is a buffalo jump located where the foothills of the Rocky Mountains begin to rise from the prairie 18 km (11.2 mi) west of Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada on highway 785. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home of the museum of Blackfoot culture. Joe Crowshoe Sr. OC (1903 - 1999) – Aapohsoy’yiis (Weasel Tail) – a ceremonial Elder of the Piikani Nation in southern Alberta, was instrumental in the development of the site. The Joe Crow Shoe Sr. Lodge is dedicated to his memory. He dedicated his life to preserving Aboriginal culture and promoting the relationship between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people and in 1998 was awarded the National Aboriginal Achievement Award for "saving the knowledge and practices of the Blackfoot people."[1]

In Blackfoot, the name for the site is Estipah-skikikini-kots. According to legend, a young Blackfoot wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.[2]
Native American names are descriptive.

I am disappoint at their omission of Grope Lane in Shrewsbury, especially as it carries an historical 'double whammy'.

I get a laugh from Drakes Bottom (The Two Ronnies also included Upper Drakes Bottom, if you recall), but the nearby villages of World's End and Hoe Gate are also pretty funny. Google Maps link

I am also pleased to report that there are 3x Looneyvilles in the USA. They are in Texas, West Virginia, and somehow Florida was tipped out in favor of New York state.

I am also amused by the Massachussets towns of Satans Kingdom (srsly?), and Braintree (eugh!).

I get a laugh from Drakes Bottom (The Two Ronnies also included Upper Drakes Bottom, if you recall), but the nearby villages of World's End and Hoe Gate are also pretty funny. Google Maps link

I am also pleased to report that there are 3x Looneyvilles in the USA. They are in Texas, West Virginia, and somehow Florida was tipped out in favor of New York state.

I am also amused by the Massachussets towns of Satans Kingdom (srsly?), and Braintree (eugh!).
There’s a Braintree in Essex

There's a Druid's Bottom in the classic book Carrie's War, which should be funny but isn't because it's the location of a screaming skull.

We had neighbors whose surname was Looney. When we had to phone them about some yard problem they answered with such "heard it all" prank resignation

There's a Druid's Bottom in the classic book Carrie's War, which should be funny but isn't because it's the location of a screaming skull.

The presence of the screaming skull trumps the humour.

.....Beginning in Edinburgh’s Bellenden Gardens, two mischievous brothers drove 2,000 miles on an epic ‘Rude Trip’ of Britain - visiting every place with a naughty name.

(My bold)

I live not so far from the village of Shitterton. They had their village signs nicked so many times they replaced them with gurt lumps of stone carved with the village name.

300px-The_Shitterton_Sign.jpg

(photo: From Wikimedia Commons )

There's definitely a 'toilet theme' to some Dorset village names, from memory there's also Puddletown, Piddlehinton, Affpuddle, Piddletrenthide and Tincleton!

Back