• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Macabre Place Names

rynner said:
PortaCelt said:
A lifelong bachelor, Charley was found, after death, to have been a woman.
:shock: :shock:
Great story - any links on that?

Here are a few:

http://tinyurl.com/jczvr
http://www.beal-net.com/hwy17/coaches.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Parkhurst

Some facts: she was five feet tall, weighed 175 pounds, wore a patch over one eye, and was more than strong enough to drive a team of six. She voted in at least one presidential election; and since she was verified to have been a woman after death, this makes her the first woman known to have voted in California (some versions say, in the entire United States).

I'm also finding that there are not one, but two "Mountain Charlies" in local history, and it's unclear which one the road was named after. The _other_ Mountain Charlie was an Irishman, a quartermaster in the British Army who came to California from Australia for the Gold Rush. He hacked out a homestead in the Santa Cruz Mountains and raised cattle and hunted deer up there, at a time when grizzly bears were common in those parts. He is famous, among other things, for surviving a face-to-face encounter with a grizzly that crushed the front of his skull. If you want to read about _him,_ try:

http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/people/mtcharl.shtml

Thanks for the links. Looks like the tobacco chewing might have caused her death. :(

Not too macabre , but my place of birth (in Glasgow) was called Rotten Row.

gerardwilkie said:
Not too macabre , but my place of birth (in Glasgow) was called Rotten Row.

It's my understanding that "Rotten Row" was originally "Rue d'Roi" - "Royal Street" or "King Street."

fnordish said:
i live approx half an hour from a nooseneck hill, which is all the more macabre when you hear about the shady goings on in that area shortly after (i think after) slavery was done in. 15 minutes away from that is Coventry which, ive been told, isnt named after the better known town of the same name, but rather by the witchy settlers after their alleged "coven-tree." that the settlers were druidic, or otherwise celticly pagan, i know to be true. whether or not they had a "coven tree" or if thats how the town got its name, i dont know, and kinda doubt.

Interestingly enough, I live in Coventry UK (I take it the Coventry you are refering to is in the US; correct me if I'm wrong!) and I've heard exactly the same story about this city; that it's derived from "Coven Tree". In this case it's almost certainly completely false. AFAIK this Coventry is derived from "Cofa's Tree", Cofa being the name of the anglo-saxon chieftain who founded the first settlement. That said I doubt there's much truth to that tale either.........................

All these macabre town names, and no one has mentioned Hell, MI? A few of my other favorites(which are at least dangerous sounding, if not macabre) are Accident in MD, and Hurricane and Nitro, both in WV.

Over Newbury way there's Combe Gibbet, a double gibbet built on Gallows Down on top of an Iron Age hill fort. You can find the story (which features the village idiot :D) here. It's quite a nice picnic spot, if you don't mind there still being a (replica) gibbet.

Embedded link is dead. Here's the MIA item:
Combe Gibbet and Walbury Hillfort
To the West of Newbury lie the villages of Kintbury and Inkpen. From here, you can follow a pleasant country road climbing the chalk downs to the south. There are a couple of viewing places near the summit of Combe down, and the scenery is fantastic for miles around.
Here you will find Combe gibbet, and the remains of the Iron Age (600 BC to 50 AD) Walbury hill fort ...
SOURCE: https://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/?s=combe+gibbet

Last edited by a moderator:
Near my university is Gallowstree Lane. It runs up a hill so I wonder what used to be at the top.

<gulp> :(

That reminds me of the place near me called Caxton Gibbet, which has a replica gibbet standing on a crossroads, where the old one would have stood. There's a great Chinese restaurant right next to the gibbet.

Can't remember if I'd posted this already, and can't be bothered to look at my old posts at the moment.

Edit: Argh, Timble - you beat me to it!

In Shelf, near Halifax, there is Burned Road, which turns off from Witchfield Hill...

Shitterton: The village that dare not speak its name

For centuries, this pretty Dorset village has enjoyed a special place in the Gazetteer of Britain. But now, there’s a stirring behind the hedgerows, and some of its residents are (whisper it) rebranding their community. Things may never be quite the same... in Shitterton. Rhodri Marsden reports
Wednesday, 21 May 2008

I think I'm in Shitterton. But I'm not sure. Satellite navigation technology, while adept at guiding me round complex urban one-way systems, is less than helpful in locating one of the rudest place names in the country; it offered me a choice of going either to Shillington in Bedfordshire, or Shutta in Cornwall. But no sign of Shitterton.

After going back to basics and consulting a map, I head into the Dorset village of Bere Regis, emerge at the other side and arrive at a cul-de-sac with a wooden signpost bereft of its nameplate. If this is indeed Shitterton, someone either loved the name so much that they felt the need to swipe a memento, or they were so concerned about its power to corrupt innocent minds that they prised it off and slung it into a nearby hedge.

I wind down the window and call out to a passer-by: "Is this place called, er...?" My enquiry feels impertinent, mainly because I was brought up never to say "shit" to strangers. But they're clearly used to timid visitors, here. "Yes, yes, this is Shitterton," comes the boisterous reply.

Goadsby's, an estate agent, currently has a wonderful four-bedroomed barn conversion in Dorset on its books. It boasts a tranquil, rural setting, hefty beams and gorgeous communal gardens. Even prospective buyers who might be worried about the state of the property market would be keen on viewing it.

But what the particulars don't mention is the exact location. Goadsby's manager coyly admits that they don't reveal this initially, before hastily adding that they "haven't found the name an issue". Oh, but it is an issue – and one, apparently, that's being batted backwards and forwards by its residents. Is it Shitterton? Or Sitterton? Dorset's civic leaders would prefer the latter, to be sure, and elements in the village are said to be all for a spot of 21st-century rebranding. But for now, Shitterton it shall remain.

This isn't the only place in Britain proudly to wear the Shit– prefix – an unholy trinity is formed with Shittlehope and Shitlington Crags, both in the North-east of England – but Shitterton is the only one of the three actually to be named after excrement. According to the mathematician Keith Briggs, who keeps an informative website on this burning topic, the name is probably derived from a river called Shiter, "a brook used as a privy".

As I pass over Shitterton Bridge, I note that the stream that bisects the village – and was once presumably a cascading torrent of shit – is in fact a picturesque little waterway. The absence of any shit in the immediate vicinity is reflected in the distinctly unshitty names of the surrounding houses: Honeycomb Cottage, Rose Cottage, Sunnyside, Merrydown.

But there has been an attempt to rewrite history. There is a row of ex-council houses on a road defiantly labelled Sitterton Close; Sitterton House has eradicated any whiff of ordure by dropping that all-important "h"; and even Wessex Water's local sewage pump, situated slap bang in the middle of the village, is labelled as being located in Sitterton. Is this really a village that dare not speak its own name?

Not according to Diana Ventham, who, with her husband, owns Shitterton Farmhouse and the internet domain name shitterton.com. Until they recently wound down the business, they rented out the cottages adjoining their home to eager hordes of tourists who came to visit Monkey World (a local ape sanctuary), explore Thomas Hardy country and send postcards back to their families wishing that they, too, could have come along on an away-break to Shitterton. "The name attracted a lot of people, there's no doubt about that," Ventham says, "and we love it. My mother, who lives with us, is in her nineties; she used to tell people that she lived in Sitterton Farmhouse, but even she has come around. She's definitely a Shitterton person now."

Ventham's half of the village contrasts markedly with the prudish Sitterton Close; numerous references to Shitterton are dotted around, and there's a house that's mischievously called Pooh Corner. "There are people who call it Sitterton," she says, "but I really don't know why it bothers them. As far as I'm concerned, the only annoying thing about it is that the Shitterton sign keeps being stolen."

I point out that it wasn't there when I arrived a few minutes earlier. "Really? That's three gone this year, already. We're trying to get planning permission for one that's engraved into a huge lump of Purbeck stone. They won't be able to get that into the boot of their car."

While there is no evidence that having an address that alludes to sewage, genitals, prostitution, bottoms, murder or masturbation makes your house any less pleasant to live in, Shitterton isn't the only place in the UK where residents have turned against their addresses, in spite of having decided to move there in the first place. Ed Hurst, who co-wrote three books (including Rude Britain) that look at the origins of rude place-names, recalls visiting a street in Lincolnshire called Fanny Hands Lane and knocking on a few doors to uncover some history. "I wasn't prepared for the sheer hostility that I encountered," he says. "They were sick of having their road sign pinched, they were sick of pizza not being delivered because the restaurant thought it was a hoax call. As it turned out, it was just named after a woman called Fanny Hands."

Campaigns by residents to effect name-changes that might give the area a bit more class are, by and large, destined to fail, according to Hurst. "There's a Slutshole Lane in Norfolk that is still called Slutshole Lane, despite residents' best efforts," he recalls. "And there's a Butthole Road, which they're trying to change to – wait for it – Buttonhole Road.

"Thing is, nearly all of these names have perfectly innocent origins. Butthole Road is just named after a borehole, a water source." Not someone's arse, then? "Well, exactly."

Shitterton probably started a slow metamorphosis towards Sitterton during the Victorian era, at the same time as towns and villages on the river Piddle were being renamed to Tolpuddle, Affpuddle and Puddletown – presumably in order not to cause embarrassment to travellers asking for directions.

John Hyde, who is 90 years old next month and has lived nearly all his life in Shitterton, certainly remembers what he called the place as a child. "Shitterton," he says, emphatically. "Definitely Shitterton."

There's something about the Dorset accent that makes the word "Shitterton" sound particularly rich and unctuous, and Hyde certainly makes the most of it. "As an infant, I went to Shitterton Girls School – that's Shitterton – before going to the boys school down the road," he says. "But when they built these houses in the 1930s for people who worked on the local watercress fields, they named the road Sitterton Close. It's strange."

As our discussion continues, Hyde starts diplomatically to refer to the village as "Shitterton-or-Sitterton" – a name that could be a compromise to suit all parties. "But the strange thing is," he continues, "that those 1930s houses aren't even in Shitterton-or-Sitterton. When I was a boy, if I was meeting someone round there, I'd say, 'See you up Podges.'" Podges? "Yes. But I've no idea why," he laughs.

Despite the notion of a vicious rivalry between residents who rejoice in living in Shitterton and those who'd rather die than admit living there, I'm having trouble finding any staunch Sitterton supporters (which is a great tongue-twister, if you're ever on the lookout for one). A couple who identify themselves as "the Butterfields" are taking the shopping out of their car; neither has the slightest problem with Shitterton. "It is what it is. We don't really take any notice of it," they say. Down the road, however, Marianne Turner displays an almost romantic fervour for the old name. "It's just so precious, isn't it?" she says. "But I am always queried about it when I give my address on the phone, and I still receive mail sent to Sitterton.

"I even ordered some notepaper from a local printer, carefully spelled out the name of the village as Shitterton – and it all came back with Sitterton on it. I'm glad the Ordnance Survey have changed it back to Shitterton on their maps, though." Maybe, after few letters to the major satnav companies, the whole cartography industry will finally be sitting on the Shitterton side of the fence.

Just when I thought I would never get to hear the other side of the story, and that this supposed crusade against Shitterton had been cooked up by Dorset Council to get people to visit Monkey World, I approached a woman walking her dog at the bottom of Sitterton Close. By this point, everyone had been so proud of their village's name that my opening gambit, I must confess, had become a little over-friendly, some might say downright rude.

"Hello – I just wanted to ask you, are you a Sitter, or a Shitter?" A cold, steely glance. "I'm walking my dog, thank you very much," came the reply. Hmm. I reckon she's a Sitter, no question.

It seemed wrong that Shitterton should be deprived of its identity by puerile thieves, so I nipped into the nearest store in Bere Regis, bought some paper, crayons and drawing pins, and sat down to create a temporary sign. According to Diana Ventham, the council's replacements have been getting flimsier and flimsier as more and more of them have disappeared into the ether; and nothing could be flimsier than the scrawled SHITT I now attached to the wooden signpost. But at least the village now proudly announced itself to anyone leaving Bere Regis.

A review of Rude Britain on amazon.co.uk ponders how different Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca might have been if it had begun: "Last night I dreamt I went to Shitterton again..." Well, at least if anyone tries to pay Shitterton a visit now, they'll have better luck finding it than I did.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 31420.html

Multimap.com doesn't find it, and offers over 20 alternatives; Streetmap.co.uk doesn't find it (no alternatives); Googlemap does find the location (on the west side of Bere Regis), although the name is not marked on the largest scale map!

A friend has taken to calling a local danger spot 'dead man's hill', because they found a dead motorcyclist in the woods - two weeks after the original crash. :shock:
There's also a 'dangerous crossing' near Truro.

My sister lives off Flesh Hovel Lane on the out skirts of Barrow upon Soar in Leicestershire....I've never been all the way to the end of the lane, so I'm not sure if there's any truth in the name :shock:

Edit - Spelling

I've just trawled through this whole thread (can't beat some comedy place names IMNSHO ;) ) and spotted the mention of Bell End on the A491 in the midlands. I actually drove down there today, but what I also like is that Bell End used to (I think there was a judicial renaming issue) lead on to the wonderfully named Mincing Lane. It kinda makes my eyes water just thinking about that ...

Macabre : McDahmers Lyrics

The Ketchup Was Blood
The Mustard Was Pus
Inside The Closet
Was Pickled Private Parts

Mcdahmers-Isn't Your Kind Of Place
Mcdahmers-It's Not A Happy Place
Mcdahmers-He'll Boil Off Your Face
Mcdahmers-You'll Never Leave His Place

The Nuggets Were Testicles
The Mayo Was Cum
The Burgers Were Biceps
That He Ate With Condiments

Mcdahmers-It's Not Your Kind Of Place
Mcdahmers-It's Not A Happy Place
Mcdahmers-He'll Boil Off Your Face
Mcdahmers-You'll Never Leave His Place

Jenny craig

Hell's Gate, British Columbia, Canada. Pretty place and pretty scary if you drive along the river.

Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump (mentioned a couple of times here) is in Alberta, Canada (not the USA). Got its name supposedly from a little Indian kid who wanted to see the buffalo driven off the cliff (the buffalo jump) to their deaths (sort of a mass hunting method). He sat at the bottom to watch the buffalo/bison driven off and got ... his head smashed in.

Some other place names, courtesy of Statistics Canada:
Axe Point, Black Cape, Black Water, Bloodvein, Bloodvein River, Bone Creek, Bone Town, Burnt Arm, Burnt Church, Burnt Head, Burnt Hill, Butchers, Coffin Cove, Dead Creek, Dead Islands, Deadman's Bay, Deadmans Cove, Dead Man's Flats, Deadmans Harbour, Deadtree Point, Deception Lake, Destruction Bay, Devil's Gate, Devils Island, Devils Kitchen, Giants Glen, Goblin, Ghost Lake, Ghost Pine Creek, Ghost River, Gore, Gore Bay, Grave Flats, Hatchet Cove, Hatchet Harbour, Hatchet Lake, Hidden Valley, Hitchcock, Isle aux Morts, L'Anse-au-Diable, La Roche-du-Diable, L'Île-aux-Fantômes, Lonely Lake, Lost River, Peekaboo Point, Phantom Beach, Pirate Harbour, Point au Mal, Point Enragée, Poison Creek, Pumpkin Point, Rapides-du-Diable, Rivière-Windigo, Ruisseau-Noir, Salem, Serpent River, Shadow Lake, Skull Creek, Sleepy Hollow, Snake River, Spirit Lake, Spirit River

Australia has Hanging Rock, of course, but it's the rock that is 'hanging'; no-one was hanged there (as far as I know, at least). The movie ('Picnic at ...') just makes the place seem more spooky when you go there. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. It's all very quiet and still; I could almost hear those damned flutes or whatever they were.

I grew up in Toronto. The scariest place name there is Temperance Street.

The UK seems to have the most mysterious and macabre names, though. You win, hands down. What's UP with you people?? Is it the room-temperature ale that does it? (I love a Smithwick's.)

We have some weirdly named roads and lanes round this part of rural Hertfordshire, lots of places with 'Hangman' in the title, and a Dagger Lane, but if you take Hog Pits Lane, you end up in the small hamlet named 'Hogpits Bottom'. That has to be the most unattractive address!

agentbuffy said:
I actually drove down there today, but what I also like is that Bell End used to (I think there was a judicial renaming issue) lead on to the wonderfully named Mincing Lane. It kinda makes my eyes water just thinking about that ...

I used to live on the junction of Queens Road and Camp Road.

BlackPeter said:
There is a small hamlet near me called Foul End what an attractive place name!

That should definitely be next to Hog Pits Bottom!

:D I just found this thread and would like to add some from here in the US.
There is Shades of Death Road in New Jersey.I'm not sure how it go it's name but check out www.weirdnj.com, their website might have information on it.

Out near San Antonio,Texas is Randolph Air Force Base. Out at the back of the base is the golf course, and some springs .These springs furnish the water and the start for Woman Hollering Creek, which eventually joins with Cibolo Creek, which means buffalo.

It's thought that perhasp a woman one day went to get water from the creek or perhasp was clothes there. While there she either saw American indians coming and started yelling a warning or was attacked and yelled for help. Another theory is she was there with her children getting water or whatever, and one of her kids fell in,again yelling for help.
When we moved back here in 1971 from Maryland, I swear I saw the creek called on a area map, "Indian Woman Hollow Creek" I don't have the map anymore, so might have to order a copy of a 1930s map of Bexar County,San Antonio being the county seat.

In Pleasanton,Tx, there is a Burnt Cabin Creek.
Near Mcqueeny,there is Deadman's Creek.
There is a Scull Crossing road near the St.Hedwig and Lavernia communities

In LLano County, north of San Antonio is the ghost town of Babyhead. It was so named because an indian raiding party carried off a baby from some settler family, and all that was found was the baby's head.
There is also towns in Texas named, Mutt and Jeff, Teacup, Telephone,
Ditto, Dingdong,TinTop,Zipperlandville, BugTussle and Gasoline as well as Turkey.

Out near the town of Garden Ridge,NE of San Antonio, is Batcave Road.
It's named that because the road leads to the world's largest colony of mexican free tail bats who live in Bracken Cave.It's been on tv on Animal Planet, National Geographic, and even made it into Ripley's Believe it Or Not.

Above the San Marcos area, in the Texas Hill Country, is a ridge of hills called the Devil's Backbone.

In San Antonio, as you drive Nacogdoches Road towards the communities of Bracken and Garden Ridge, you will pass on your left, Commanche Lookout Park. It's one of the highest hills around, and so named because in the early days, it was used as a lookout for indians or bandits.
There is a watertower that has the date of 1929 on it.A retired Colonel in the US Army bought the land, and built the watertower and house.
Way back when I was a kid, two busts of an indian cheilf sat, one on each gate post, but they long disappeared, and the house is long gone too.
There was even a little community there called Lookout named for the hill but it has vanished.

In Llano County are the ghosttowns of Blowout, and Click,Click being named for Malachi Click, a local settler, and Blowout from a cave that was blowen out when some bat guano exloped.There maybe some connection to the Lost Bowie mine, as Jim Bowie was said to have been in the area,this was before the Battle of the Alamo.
If you check out www.texasescapes.com, you can find more Texas towns, like Podo, named for a former slave, Frijoles, meaning Beans in west Texas, etc.DimeBox is so named because people would put a dime in a box at the stagestop ,to insure their letters got mailed.
The first March of Dimes campagein got started there.

I had understood that Woman Hollering Creek was a La Llorona reference, but a corruption of Indian Woman Hollow makes more sense. Most likely an Indian woman lived there, or was found dead there, or something of the sort.

I personally don't find Frijoles very macabre, but perhaps your experience of beans is different from mine. I did not know that the March of Dimes started in Dimebox!

There's a street called Big Foot in San Antonio, but don't get excited. It's named after Charles "Big Foot" Wallace, so called for his shoe size, and he's surrounded by other "historic Texan" names like Rip Ford, Lubbock, Edwards, and Baylor. It's kind of cool that the street surveyors used his and Ford's nicknames, though. Rip Ford, btw, was called that because he was responsible for tracking deaths in his ranger unit and he did so by noting "R.I.P." beside their names. So that's a little macabre.

Near here is Mabe Burnthouse, but I don't know the origin of the name.
But a few years ago there was a burnt house not far away, although I suspect that was too recent to have been the origin of the name.

macabre names

PeniG said:
I had understood that Woman Hollering Creek was a La Llorona reference, but a corruption of Indian Woman Hollow makes more sense. Most likely an Indian woman lived there, or was found dead there, or something of the sort.

I personally don't find Frijoles very macabre, but perhaps your experience of beans is different from mine. I did not know that the March of Dimes started in Dimebox!

There's a street called Big Foot in San Antonio, but don't get excited. It's named after Charles "Big Foot" Wallace, so called for his shoe size, and he's surrounded by other "historic Texan" names like Rip Ford, Lubbock, Edwards, and Baylor. It's kind of cool that the street surveyors used his and Ford's nicknames, though. Rip Ford, btw, was called that because he was responsible for tracking deaths in his ranger unit and he did so by noting "R.I.P." beside their names. So that's a little macabre.

Didn't know there was a street named Bigfoot in San Antonio.There is also the community of Bigfoot, also named for Bigfoot Wallace south of San Antonio.
When I heard about Woman Hollering Creek,it really wasn't in connection to La Llorona, but more along the lines that I mentioned.
I want to try to get a copy from TXDOT of any of the old Bexar County highway maps, so I can see what the creek was actually called back in the 1930s. I really do wish I had that map from 1971.But your right, it could be a coruption of Indian Woman Hollow. Many people in the south say Holler, when they mean Hollow, so when they came to put up new signs,the highway department may have asked the name, and someone answered Woman Holler Creek, and then it was changed to Woman Hollering Creek.

disturbing street names

This is probably mentioned somewhere else but does anyone else have streets in there town theyve walked past for years without noticing how unpleasant or disturbing the names are,I just realised we have a place called The Lynch and Cat gallows. :shock: How the hell did i miss that?

poozler said:
Hell's Gate, British Columbia, Canada. Pretty place and pretty scary if you drive along the river.

I grew up about an hour down the highway from Hell's Gate. It's a pretty place, but well named--it's not far from the start of the Fraser Canyon, which is a rather scary place to drive through. Basically, it's a narrow gorge through the mountains, with the Fraser River below, and the road is more or less on the very edge, with nothing below but scree tumbling toward the river. It also marks the passage from a very fertile green part of the province to the more arid regions of the interior. It must have been terrifying for the prospectors who went that way during the gold rush, on mules.

Ironically it's right near 'Hope.' So it's beyond Hope, but only if you're going in the right direction. (*groan*)

It's more forlorn than macabre, but I've always loved the name of Lost Lagoon in Vancouver's Stanley Park. Stanley Park also has Deadman's Island, which was apparently a burial ground and battlefield pre-European settlement, and a burial ground and smallpox quarantine zone after.

One more odd than macabre is Kicking Horse Pass in the Rocky Mountains -- home to the most lethal stretch of the Trans-Canada highway.

And if you're looking for places named after Bigfoot, there's Sasquatch Provincial Park near Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia.

Back