• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Gasser Of Mattoon (Illinois, 1944)

Was the Mad Gasser Real?

• No, it was just mass hysteria

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, it happened and it was the rich town eccentric

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, but the whole truth is still out there

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

MrRING

Android Futureman
I think the Mad Gasser phenomenon is pretty interesting myself, particularly the fact that it is often sited as a prime example of mass hysteria even though there have also been people who claim it actually happened.

Here is a website for the "mass hysteria" claim:

http://www.reall.org/newsletter/v07/n04/mad-gasser.html

And here is one that claims a particular individual as the culprit:

http://www.grassyknoll.homestead.com/1047MadGasser.html

It says in part:

Of all the strange entities that showed up in the Twentieth Century, none were quite as weird as the Mad Gasser of Mattoon.

This real-life "super-villain," dressed like a character out of DC's All-Star Comics, prowled the streets of Mattoon, Illinois (population 18,291), during August and September 1944, "appearing at night at the bedroom windows of houses, in most cases those of women. Sometimes he sprayed a noxious gas inside. Some people reported various ailments and a general malaise after the gassings."

But now, after nearly sixty years, author and researcher Scott Maruna has the answer to the Mad Gasser's secret. For years, Maruna researched leads, interviewed witnesses and pored over every bit of information he could dig up on the Mad Gasser of Mattoon. After countless hours of hard work and investigation, startling discoveries have been made, including secrets surrounding the case that have been buried for the last sixty years."

The real Mad Gasser was not an escaped Nazi, a crazed ape-man or a figment of the imagination, as many other publications have reported over the last several decades. Instead, the gasser was actually a well-known resident of Mattoon--someone from an influential family who had a grudge against many area residents and desired revenge against a town that would not accept him. That person was Farley Llewellyn, the son of a grocer who was considered 'a pillar of the community. Although his father was highly respected, Farley never 'fit in' to the Mattoon community.

Let me give ya'll another good few links:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/gasser.html

http://www.illinoistimes.com/gbase/Gyrosite/Content?oid=oid:1991

And ask: was it mass hysteria, or was it real? If it was real, what does that mean for other mass hysteria cases if one of the main examples of it is actually real?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mad Gasser of Mattoon

I recalled reading about TMG in one of Daniel Cohen's books (Encyclopedia of Monsters, IIRC). Anyway, I did some Googling and came up with this .

So, what is everyone's opinion of this?

This one always reminds me of Springheeled Jack for some reason.

It seems to me I read somewhere (FT maybe?) that some researchers came down to pinning the Matoon incident on two young women and maybe one more helper. I wish I could cite a resource, but my non scientific thinking leaves me empty of these kinds of facts.

Classic Forteana I say. Interesting, and mysterious.

Mad gassers were dealt with in FT 131. They don't mention any kind of resolution just that it stopped as do most cases of mass hysteria.

Emps

Emperor said:
Mad gassers were dealt with in FT 131. They don't mention any kind of resolution just that it stopped as do most cases of mass hysteria.

Emps
I've never heard of mass hysteria operating like this, though. Two very similar occurences about a decade apart, with very real physical symptoms. I could believe that there was no Mad Gasser were it not for people who had not actually been at the house at the time of the encounter smelling the gas. And that woman's footprints being found everywhere.

Mass hysteria seems too a convenient excuse for this.

rigmarole said:
I've never heard of mass hysteria operating like this, though. Two very similar occurences about a decade apart, with very real physical symptoms. I could believe that there was no Mad Gasser were it not for people who had not actually been at the house at the time of the encounter smelling the gas. And that woman's footprints being found everywhere.

Mass hysteria seems too a convenient excuse for this.

LOL - oh quite possibly. However, it does take on all sorts of different forms (the FT article also includes slashers) so the fact that it is a gassing could be coincidence. To really get to the bottom of things you'd need a modern case with good evidence collection, etc.

Of course it would be the perfect cover for a mad gasser - do a spate of gassing and then stop and people will discount it as mass hysteria ;)

Emps

I should also add that I wasn't comfortable with the penultimate paragraph in that article which attemtped to explain just about everything (UFOs, bigfoot, faeries, etc.) as mass hysteria - there may be explanations for all of them but I think it is pushing things to put them all in one bag.

Anyway there is a classic study of the Mattoon gasser and I found it online here:

Johnson, D.M. (1945) The 'Phantom Anesthetist' of Mattoon: A Field Study of Mass Hysteria. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 40 (1). 175 - 86.

Emps

A refreshing and clear example of the negative skeptics number one rule:

If something is witnessed or experienced by more than two unconnected persons, and it has no immediate rational explanation, then dismiss it as "mass hysteria" and ignore any contrary evidence, no matter how convincing.

I think somebody is going to want to merge to my earlier post here:

[emp edit: merged and link removed]

And here is a link that talks about the two sisters who were trying to cover up for their brother:

http://www.grassyknoll.homestead.com/1047MadGasser.html

And a bit of what it says:

When Farley returned to Mattoon after attending the University of llinois as a chemistry major, he became even more introverted and distant.

Spending most of the time in a full-scale cellar chemistry laboratory on his father's property, Farley began drinking heavily. Only days prior to the first Mad Gasser attack, one neighbor recalls an explosion that resulted from one of Farley's experiments in the secret lab. There is no doubt that the explosion occurred while Farley was testing the gas he would later use to terrorize local residents. I believe his true intent was to blow up the town.

The gas Farley used could have been nitromethane, a sweet-smelling, clear and highly volatile liquid that can cause nausea, burning of the mouth, swelling of the lips and minimal eye irritation. Since nitromethane evaporates quickly, little or no evidence would often be left by the time police arrived at the scene of the attacks.

Following almost all of the attacks, victims describe the gas as smelling 'sweet with one person comparing it to the smell of cheap perfume.

It was not long after the gasser attacks began during the first week of September in 1944 that Farley became a suspect. In fact, many Mattoon residents said that they knew Farley was the true Mad Gasser all along."

Farley was placed under constant police surveillance following the first several gassings. However, the attacks continued to occur, baffling police and giving the appearance that Farley was innocent.

In an attempt to clear their brother's name, Farley's two sisters, Florence and Katherine Llewellyn, assumed the role of the Mad Gasser for the final series of attacks. The later gassings became much more sloppy and were completely different from the earlier attacks. While Farley had preyed on couples and families during the earlier gassings, his sisters targeted younger victims, often single women.

The book describing the above has a homepage here:

http://www.swampgasbooks.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is very interesting, and something you'll never read by someone who thinks this is mass hysteria.

I never really did understand how UFOs and such ar explained away as mass hysteria, considering we have things like pictures of what people are saying their seeing. They might not be aliens or interdimensionals, they're obviously there.

Up Next: Film Hysteria :cool:

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
I think somebody is going to want to merge to my earlier post here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11514&highlight=Mad+Gasser

Righto I've posted a request.

Its an interesting angle on the case but its a bit difficult to tell from that description.

From what I know of the case there was very little evidence and so surely the link to this guy must be circumstantial. Also it raises more questions like how this fits in with the earlier 1934 gassings as if he returned home from University at the start of the Mattoon gassings then he wouldn't have been in his teens during the first wave - are we to assume there were two gassers?

Some good reviews over at Amazon too:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972860509/

For those interested there is also a borader Cultural Hysteria thread here (it also appears to be The Yithian's first post):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6250

Emps

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
The book describing the above has a homepage here:

http://www.swampgasbooks.com/

It now seems to be freely available online:

http://www.swampgasbooks.com/madgasser

and here is an article on the author and the case:

Former Charleston man write 'gasser' book

Monday, October 25, 2004

By Dawn Schabbing

Just more than 60 years ago newspaper headlines screamed that a prowler was in the city pumping a sweet-smelling, but paralyzing gas into homes.

It was during wartime and many women were home without their husbands and sons.

Were these bizarre incidents during the first half of September 1944 some form of local terrorism in those days, or nothing more than hysteria caused by the media?

While there are many sources available in libraries, on the Internet and in magazines about “The Mad Gasser”, in these reports one stark difference among the writers was to prove or disprove its validity.

About 11 p.m. on Sept. 1, 1944, a young housewife named Aline Kearney lay in bed reading a newspaper, with her 3-year-old daughter at her side.

She noticed an unusual, sweet smell coming from outside her bedroom window. Soon she suffered nausea, a dry throat, burning sensation to her mouth and lips and discovered her legs were losing sensation.

This was the first of about 25 reports to Mattoon police from different people in the city-mostly women. Newspaper headlines from the Daily Journal-Gazette then warned readers that an “Anesthetic Prowler On Loose.”

Eventually, other newspapers reported the “Mad Gasser” and the “Mad Anesthetist” was attacking parts of Mattoon.

In recent years, dozens of Websites, magazine articles, newspaper reports and books continue to argue the mystery of Mattoon’s Mad Gasser.

According to Bob Ladendorf who co-wrote an article in the Skeptical Inquirer magazine, July-August 2002 issue, said the hysteria of those fall nights are linked to the media.

Ladendorf authored the article, “The Mad Gasser of Mattoon: How the press created an imaginary chemical weapons attack.”

“The Daily Journal-Gazette reported the (first) incident on page one the next evening with a six-column headline,” wrote Ladendorf. “The Mattoon (newspaper) practically created the entire mad gasser scare…” his article reports.

Scott Maruna, formerly of Charleston but now living in Jacksonville, authored a book that offers a complete look at the bizarre events of September 1944--and even names the Mad Gasser.

Maruna teaches high school chemistry and physics in Jacksonville and said he was captured by this phenomenon and spent two years studying the mystery before writing his book, The Mad Gasser of Mattoon: Dispelling the Hysteria.

_ “Many in academia have called the case the finest of mass hysteria in American history,” said Maruna. “But, I see it as the finest case of chemical terrorism in American history.”

Maruna in his nearly sell-out book pinpoints a young man from Mattoon named Farley Llewellyn as the gasser.

“Farley was at one point during the gassings the police’s one and only suspect,” said Maruna. “But half way through the gassings, when they placed him on 24-hour surveillance, the gassings still continued.”

He explains in his book that knowing the police surveillance was on Farley, he had one or both of his sisters, Florence and Katherine, continue the gassings. Women’s shoe prints were found moving away from the scene of one of the last gassings.

The book tells the story of Farley Llewellyn, the homosexual son of a respected grocer, who never really “fit” in Mattoon. Farley was considered a loner and an introvert who had studied chemistry at the University of Illinois. He also had his own lab and neighbors reported explosions at it from Farley’s experiments.

Ladendorf said two of the most famous “mass hysteria” happenings of the 20th Century were the 1938 invasion of Martians panic and the 1944 Mattoon mad gasser scare.

“The mass media are often influential in creating, spreading and ironically even eventually ending mass hysteria,” said Ladendorf. Reporting public reaction to the hysteria diagnosis does this, he said in the article.

Within a week other newspapers began reporting the story of the Mad Gasser as more reports filtered into police, which could not catch the culprit of varied descriptions. Ladendorf said almost daily a major or local newspaper reported incidents.

He said reports from Chicago Tribune, Chicago Herald-American, Champaign News Gazette and (Springfield) Illinois State Journal only heightened the mad gasser’s awareness nationwide.

“No prowler was ever identified or arrested, no physical evidence presented, and there was no medical substantiation of a gas being used,” wrote Ladendorf in his article.

“In fact, none of the victims ever reported having eye problems from the alleged gas, despite the fact that if it was a poisonous gas, the eyes would certainly be affected.”

Maruna said the chemical being used was Nitromethane. It isn’t a gas, but a chemical that could be vaporized easily with something as simple as a perfume bottle. It doesn’t cause eye irritation.

“This gas is very sweet smelling, causes nausea, weakness, swollen lips and burning mouth and is not an extreme eye irritant and its results wear off quickly.”

Through his interviews and research Maruna believes that Farley Llewellyn had no intention of merely anesthetizing or scaring people with his acts.

“No, Farley was initially trying to do a lot worse - he was trying to blow them up.”

____ One thing that both writers agree on is that mysteries such as the Mad Gassers are likely to occur again.

“It is essential to understand the overall context of what happened in Mattoon within the social and historical context…at that time. People lived under the specter of massive poison gas attacks on civilian targets,” wrote Ladendorf in his article.

Maruna said it wouldn’t be difficult to “copy cat” what happened in 1944. “Similar and identical gases are not all that hard to acquire and gas is seemingly the perfect weapon. It is a frightening, real possibility.”

Maruna is scheduled to be a panel speaker on the Mad Gasser mystery at the Illinois History Symposium in Springfield on Dec. 3-4. His book, which is expected to come out in its second edition in hardback, was named one of the top books on Illinois History from 2003.

http://www.colescountyleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=128466

I'm beginning to reconsider my opinion of "mass hysteria" claims. I still say Mattoon wasn't mass hysteria and I still think it's too often the cure-all for the mundane world. However, the current political condition in the states might swing either way for a repeat "mad gasser" event.

A high terror alert combined with semi-knowledge of science and suspicion of strangers or "outsiders" may contribute to a Mattoon-type scare. But this same security awareness means that anyone prowling around with a nitromethane diffuser is likely to be shot before questioning.

What about the "anthrax powder in the post" incidents? Is this the modern version of the Mattoon Gasser?

Could it not have been both a genuine series of events and mass hysteria caused by sensational news reports? A parallel might be drawn with UFO 'flaps' - a couple of people see something genuinely inexplicable, then after they've made the local news suddenly everyone in the neighbourhood is looking up at the sky and mistaking planets and planes for flying saucers.

graylien said:
Could it not have been both a genuine series of events and mass hysteria caused by sensational news reports? A parallel might be drawn with UFO 'flaps' - a couple of people see something genuinely inexplicable, then after they've made the local news suddenly everyone in the neighbourhood is looking up at the sky and mistaking planets and planes for flying saucers.

Thats my take on it - there is often something at the core of these kinds of things to set it off. See the green underpant monster attacks thread:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13095

The panic appears to have started with a series of burglaries and things started rapidly spinning out of hand with details getting wilder in the telling, dragging in a mixed bag of the opportunistic, people with mental problems and possibly someone who had an attack of sleep paralysis.

There seem to be two types of mass hysteria:

1. Mass sociogenic illness - where everyone is in direct contact with each other and the illness spreads rapidly. It seems to hit schools particularily hard. The people seem to actually make themselves genunely ill just by believing they are ill. In the developed world they tend to get spotted quickly and dealt with but elsewhere they tend to take on more "demonic" overtones although the illnesses are similar.

2. "Societal panic" - where people are usuall only indirectly connected and the rumours spread via Chinese whispers through the populace and tend to last longer and grow wilder. People making reports tend to have a vareity of motivations.

See:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6250

Mattoon

Sociological writings on the Mattoon Gasser tend to take a common track - how can anyone take these reports seriously? Most of the informants were WOMEN (shiff!). Besides that, they were UNDEREDUCATED women (sniff! sniff!) and POOR women (sniff! sniff! sniff!) to boot!

If that's supposed to be "social SCIENCE" I'm a big green grasshopper.

Looks like there wil be a Mad Gasser article in the next FT which should be good. As we have had a sceptical take on it already I suspect this will be along the lines outlined in the book mentioned above (and by Jon Downes at UnCon) - that there really was a Mad Gasser.

Assuming that young Mr. Farley was in fact the Mattoon Gasser, might it yet be possible to establish whether:

1. An even younger Mr. Farley had been in Botetourt County, Virginia, in late 1933?

2. In Coatesville, Pennsylvania, in February, 1944?

If yes can be established to either of the above two questions the case becomes a lead pipe cinch.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Looks like there wil be a Mad Gasser article in the next FT which should be good. As we have had a sceptical take on it already I suspect this will be along the lines outlined in the book mentioned above (and by Jon Downes at UnCon) - that there really was a Mad Gasser.

So did this article come to the conclusion Emps figured it would in this post?

Also - the Mad Gasser was seen with a "Flit gun" which I hadn't looked into before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flit_gun

This should bring up a pix:

http://www.silhouettes1979.com/photos610.htm

Let me repeat my unamswered question from four years ago:

Can anyone establish whether Mr. Farley was in Boutetort County, Virginia, in 1933 or in Coatesville, Pennsylvania in earlier 1944?

We are mostly Brits here OTR. If you wanted an answer, you might know an awful lot more about how to find it than we do.

Gassing, or mass hysteria?

From Illinois Times
Thursday, May 1, 2003

The Case of the Mad Gasser of Mattoon

Maddening mystery finally solved, says local science teacher
By Cinda Klickna

For several weeks in September 1944, people in the town of Mattoon, Illinois, showed the symptoms of exposure to poison gas--nausea, vomiting, weakness leading to near paralysis, light headedness, even spitting up blood. All of the victims reported a "sweet cheap perfume odor" permeating their homes prior to the onset of sickness.

Scott Maruna, a high school chemistry and physics teacher in Jacksonville, explains the terror in his book, The Mad Gasser of Mattoon: Dispelling the Hysteria (Swamp Gas Book Co., 2003).

This case has long been cited in college psychology classes as a perfect example of mass hysteria. Occurring during World War II, when so many men were off fighting and so many women were left alone, the gassings have been explained away as the product of paranoia, panic, and delirium.

But Maruna dispels this idea, giving credence to many who came forward to report a smell coming through their windows at night, and in some cases seeing a shadowy figure running into the darkness.

Within 48 hours, four homes had been hit and the newspaper headlines blared, "Anesthetic Prowler on the Loose." The evenings were sultry, forcing people to leave open their windows. On subsequent nights, several more homes were "hit."

Maruna's 100-page book presents the facts surrounding the cases, the police investigations, and similar events in other cities across the United States. He then looks at the episode as a perfect example of hysteria. When police led people to believe the reports were mistaken, suddenly calls to the station dropped, possibly, Maruna suggests, from sheer "embarrassment"--and perhaps because the police chief threatened "to arrest anyone else who reported a gassing without submitting to a medical examination." This alone, Maruna says, deterred people from admitting they'd been gassed.

Maruna then examines 11 traits common to mass hysteria, providing factual details to subvert each of these characteristics. For example, most mass hysteria cases involve women, as did the Mattoon gassings. Maruna logically explains, though, that during the height of WW II Mattoon would have naturally had more women in residence; therefore, the victims would obviously include more females.

In the end, Maruna presents his solution. He dismisses the 60-year-old claim of mass hysteria and points to a real person as the culprit. Living in Mattoon was a town genius who could be found with "his nose buried in books" at his family's grocery store. Farley Llewellyen drank too much, kept a secret laboratory, and experimented with various chemicals. Once, an explosion from his lab rocked the neighborhood. Maruna says, "Farley, the obvious chemical genius behind the gas's synthesis, was the real gasser. In a fit brought on by mental instability and years of pent-up rage against a town that would not and could not accept him, Farley tinkered and toyed with various organic solvents in an attempt to create for a suitable weapon." Maruna even goes so far as to identify Farley's chemical as tetrachlorethane, a chemical with all the properties to induce the symptoms reported in the gassings.

The Mad Gasser of Mattoon is an interesting, easy read that presents compelling arguments for Farley as the "mad gasser." Hats off to Scott Maruna for an intriguing book.

This review of that long ago Mad Gasser book points to a different chemical compound as being the culprit:
http://illinoistimes.com/article-70-the-case-of-the-mad-gasser-of-mattoon.html
Maruna even goes so far as to identify Farley's chemical as tetrachlorethane, a chemical with all the properties to induce the symptoms reported in the gassings.

The chemical in question:
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+123
-Tetrachloroethane is a volatile synthetic chemical that is used as intermediate in the synthesis of other chlorinated hydrocarbons. HUMAN EXPOSURE AND TOXICITY: Intoxications have been fatal. Central nervous system and the liver are the target tissues in acute exposures. Liver, gastro-intestinal tract and nervous system (central peripheral) are the targets in chronic exposure. Toxic effects are also reported in the hematopoietic system. Acute and chronic exposures produce jaundice, liver enlargement, fatty degeneration, hepatic necrosis, and cirrhosis. Respiratory irritation and pulmonary edema may follow inhalation exposures. Skin contact may result in dryness, scaling, and inflammation. Severe lesions may occur. Eye contact may result in burning and serious eye damage. Inhalation may cause a burning sensation, wheezing, coughing, laryngitis, and shortness of breath. Ingestion may cause diarrhea and severe mucosal injury. Numerous deaths due to its ingestion, inhalation and cutaneous absorption have been recorded. The solvent effects primarily the central nervous system and the liver and caused polyneuritis and paralysis.

The Dark Histories podcast has a nice review of the case:
https://www.darkhistories.com/the-mad-gasser-of-mattoon/
The podcast is none too kind to the Maruna book, but he comes down on the idea that there was a gasser in the first few incidents and that the rest was mass hysteria.
A local paper has an article up about it:
https://jg-tc.com/news/local/mattoo...cle_b8ca3620-f674-5377-ad38-da980cafd4b6.html
The approximately two-week long series of "Mad Gasser" incidents, which started on Aug. 31, 1944, still sparks the interest of those looking into Mattoon history, tales of the unknown, and case studies on mass hysteria. The "Mad Gasser," if there was one, was never identified or apprehended by authorities.
Mattoon Public Library's local history center maintains a "Mad Gasser" file, including local newspaper articles written when the community was gripped by fear of a cloaked figure who was reportedly injecting noxious gas into homes.

There is an online archive from Eastern Illinois University that has more exhibits and maps and the like:
https://www.eiu.edu/localite/gasserhome.php

And apparently I'm posting this on the 77th anniversary of the Mad Gasser's reign of gassings...

Back