• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

That's fair enough - it would be a dull old world if we all agreed all the time. Mind you, I am curious - what was it that stood out for you in these two performances?

In Fury Road I think he built on and surpassed Gibson's interpretation of Mad Max, maybe it's what Gibson would have done if Thunderdome hadn't been made. He was just convincing as the Road Warrior, a flawed hero rather than an anti-hero.

As Bane he exuded menace, just with a gesture; or his voice, an inflection will intimidate. The fact that he put on so much muscle for the part, 12 kg! Maybe it's his method acting, also he was something of a social bandit (albeit crazed) rather than just a villain/terrorist, literally leading an underground movement and executing the 0.01% who ruled over Gotham . Hey, his portrayal of Bane was so compelling, I could follow him rather than a 0.01%er intent on preserving a system of law & order which favoured oligarchs.

Hardy is a fine actor, and seems affable enough in interviews, but seems to be difficult to work with if he lets his ego get away from him. You could say that about a few stars once their profile gets big enough. The Mad Max situation sounds from all the reports in the book like he started throwing his weight around and Charlize bore the brunt of it. Talent doesn't make you a nice person, sadly.

I've heard of people getting into 'character,' and not dropping it until it is either called for, or after the film is in the can...so to speak.

How would you get your head in line for a character in Fury Road - I don't have the necessary skills to turn THAT on, and then, at the end of the day, 'leave it at the Office'.

I've heard of people getting into 'character,' and not dropping it until it is either called for, or after the film is in the can...so to speak.

How would you get your head in line for a character in Fury Road - I don't have the necessary skills to turn THAT on, and then, at the end of the day, 'leave it at the Office'.

I think it was more that Hardy would have rather have been anywhere else than in "the office".

Love that avvy, Mungo. Hendrix, yeah?
Indeed - Jimi and Psychedelic Breakfast...Mobius.
moebius-and-hendrix.png

I love large throaty V8 engines on anything really. These beasts are gargantuan.
There's somebody around here (in Brighton, UK) who drives around in an old American V8 car done up like the dogs bollocks. It's not a fancy job like in Paranormal, it's just a family 60's three seater bench seat front and rear. It sounds amazing. I hear it before I see it. I think it's an Olds Mobile or how ever it's spelt. Maybe a Yank on here can confirm or correct me.

How did that term 'Yank' come about?

During the naughties, 2000 to 2010, I owned an 80's Ford Cardianal Hearse which I used for my job as a window cleaner. It was basically an extended Ford Grananda with air suspension added. That was a V6 which sounded great and even more so when I punched a few holes in the silencer with a screw driver and a hammer. When the MOT was due, I stuck exhaust sealant tape over the holes then removed it afterwards. I got a lot of work just because of the car. It wasn't a black paint job either, it was two shades of grey.

I had to insure it as a taxi with a change of use. A hearse is classed as a taxi for insurance purposes as the insurance for a taxi doesn't distinguish between the living and the dead. It had space in the back for two coffins as well. One that is seen, and one underneath that is not. I didn't crawl into the space underneath the displayed coffin which people or family see. It had two small doors for that for the second coffin for the next funeral. It's so as the one vehicle can be used for two funerals with out having to go back to the cold storage area. It didn't seem to be haunted either. In fact it seemed a happy vehicle. I did the exterior ghost busters style with 'Who you gonna call, COPS cleaners' as the business was called then.

I used to clean the windows of a funeral directors and once when cleaning the windows at the back where the bodies were stored, and no one around, I ventured in and pulled open one of the cold storage mortuary type drawers. Not looking up at me was a very white naked old lady with closed eyes and obviously no false teeth in. I was struck by the 'that was a living person recently' sensation that was a very powerful feeling at the time but now it remains just a memory. Although I just had to have a look, I felt like I had intruded somewhere I shouldn't have gone, somewhere very private and only for those who knew her who wouldn't see her, possibly, before cremation or burial.

I don't want to be buried when I die. That dug hole is so deep and looks so lonely.

Last edited:
There's somebody around here (in Brighton, UK) who drives around in an old American V8 car done up like the dogs bollocks. It's not a fancy job like in Paranormal, it's just a family 60's three seater
Yeah that’s our Henry. He hasn’t posted in a while. Anybody seen our ‘enri?!

Yeah that’s our Henry. He hasn’t posted in a while. Anybody seen our ‘enri?!
Seriously?

Sorry if I'm missing out on a joke. I'm not so good at these types of things.

Back