• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

I think it's a 10mm.
I was thinking it was a laser pistol... since Fallout does have those and it doesn't seem to have a round barrel.

the connection between Mad Max and Fallout does make sense. Many of the fantastical elements and plots in the modern Fallout games... kinda weren't in the originals. OG Fallout had fantastical sci-fi elements to be sure, but was more focused on the effects of the collapse of society.

the missing element that you don't see in most post-apocalyptic fiction is HOW the "raiders" make a living. Some fiction would have you believe they're roving marauders who don't really have any infrastructure and live off of stealing from others. Which... only works when raiders are a minority. Otherwise you have a society with less production than consumption, and a dwindling production base. At least some of the "raiders" in Fallout have some sort of base of operations. there's one rather famous case in Fallout 4 where you see what might have been a group of raiders claiming an old fish packing plant as a base.... then actually using it to process fish? I say "might" because Mahkra is weird.... in ways players don't understand. Why do Synths care about the place? Why is every aspect of the "raiders" randomized, except that they all have the same face/body? Yes really, the raiders look like clones of each other. Is that a bug or part of the story? I don't know.

Heh, environmental story telling is tricky when you mix vague plot with what might be coding glitches, and things that are weird to start with.

6767.jpg

Furiosa returns: Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth cast in Mad Max prequel
The long-awaited George Miller film, which was written before Fury Road finished filming, tells the backstory of Charlize Theron’s character
Full article:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...y-and-chris-hemsworth-cast-in-mad-max-prequel

That photo is truly repellent. She could be ideal as a wasteland vuvallini.

6767.jpg

The long-awaited George Miller film, which was written before Fury Road finished filming, tells the backstory of Charlize Theron’s character
Full article:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...y-and-chris-hemsworth-cast-in-mad-max-prequel

Well, you're no oil painting yourself. I like her looks, she's really striking. Not sure about her accent(s), mind you.

Repellant?? Are you out of your mind?? While not my cup of tea she is very striking and looks much better with her hair down and in a more natural look.
If Id met her in that second pic at 17 I would have died and gone to heaven mind.

anya-taylor-joy-thought-1459181797.jpg

anya-taylor-joy-main.jpg

anya_taylor-joy_split_interview.jpg

original

Last edited:
Such reactions are lost to the majority who have never heard of the first three movies in the franchise, especially if they are part of international audiences and were born after the older movies were made. And the same might even apply to other franchises, from Star Wars to Star Trek to Alien, which is why producers have been able to come up with not only sequels and prequels but even the same based on reboots and changes of the originals. The goal is to maximize profits from sales to new audiences.

6767.jpg

Full article:

Maybe one of the pale skinned mutants? :D
Such reactions are lost to the majority who have never heard of the first three movies in the franchise, especially if they are part of international audiences and were born after the older movies were made. And the same might even apply to other franchises, from Star Wars to Star Trek to Alien, which is why producers have been able to come up with not only sequels and prequels but even the same based on reboots and changes of the originals. The goal is to maximize profits from sales to new audiences.
New audiences are the bigger market. It's just math.

Is this a platoon or a knitting circle?!

Anyway, I had heard Jodie Comer (who doesn't look that dissimilar) was going to take the lead, but I guess she's tied up with the Ridley Scott shoot. But I'm sure Anya will be fine, she has a steely side that should serve her well.

New audiences are the bigger market. It's just math.

I read somewhere (I think it was about a discussion with Lucas and Spielberg) that these factors explain the characteristics of movies in various franchises for the last two decades or so. That is, because they are marketed to an international aucience that involves many cultures and languages, film content has to be action-oriented and easy to follow. At the same time, a significant chuck of expenses have to go to marketing, thus making the breakeven cost (especially when theater owners and distributors also get a cut) a lot higher. Because ticket prices are very high, then films have to use a lot of spectacle packed into more than two hours to make them look expensive and thus worth paying to see. They also have to preferably hit the PG "sweet spot" in order to attract enough members of different age groups to maximize viewership, although there are exceptions, like the recent Mad Max movie. In order to maintain revenue streams, they have to be made quickly (which means development time has to be lessened by focusing on sequels, prequels, reboots, rehashes, etc.), with additional revenue expected from spinoffs and merchandising. Finally, they are often part of groups of tent-pole flicks that may make or break producers or even groups of producers who have to pool resources together.

Meanwhile, one gets this feeling that audiences are beginning to grow tried of being shown many movies that look alike, and might now be tending to just wait for most to come out on streaming (where they pay less) or wait for them to show up in bargain bins (as there are many other movies to choose from, anyway). Perhaps similar is also taking place for TV shows and even video games.

Yeah the bigger the budget the less likely a production team is to want to "take risks". They know they need massive sales just to break even.

An interesting article on profit and loss in Hollywood.

“...we can already draw a few loose rules of thumb…

• Across all these [279] movies, half made money and half lost money.
  • Half of the money lost on unprofitable movies was lost on the worst performing 6% of movies.
  • Half of the money earned from profitable films came from the highest paying 6% of movies.”
maximus otter

I'm reminded of this page, which among others refers to returns on investment:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets

Apparently, it's estimated that the first Mad Max movie is the most profitable for total profits for all sales vs. budget, with an ROI of almost 25,000 pct.

I am going to the Last Drive In in Australia tonight to watch a documentary about the fan mania. Looks a lot of fun. I haven’t been to the drive in for about 30 years.

Faarkenell!!

Charlize Theron ‘felt so threatened’ by Tom Hardy making Mad Max she required on-set protection​

Article

Well, there's another movie retrospectively ruined. I know you can't get along with everyone at work, but "on-set protection"?! How mad was he?

Charlize Theron ‘felt so threatened’ by Tom Hardy making Mad Max she required on-set protection​

Article

Well, there's another movie retrospectively ruined. I know you can't get along with everyone at work, but "on-set protection"?! How mad was he?

You automatically accept that she's telling the truth and therefore cancel (in your mind) Fury Road/Hardy?

How can that report ruin the artistry and astonishing techincal prowess of Fury Road?

Does the fact Harrison Ford hated Sean Young ruin Blade Runner or Kubrick's bullying of Shelly Duval ruin The Shining?

You automatically accept that she's telling the truth and therefore cancel (in your mind) Fury Road/Hardy?
It's hardly the first time Hardy has been accused of being difficult, though, is it?

A wider point is that indefensible behaviour is too often excused by the alleged genius of the actor - there's a long and reprehensible line of "difficult" actors whose performances are alleged to outweigh the off-camera behaviour. Bollocks to that. You can be a nice person, and still create great work. Nobody has a bad word to say about Neil Innes, whereas there are plenty willing to badmouth his Rutles collaborator Eric Idle.

To bring it back to Hardy, even if astonishing performances were a valid defence - which they aren't - is he even that good? He is, I grant, astonishing in Bronson. But he's, well, mediocre in Fury Road, and I say that as a huge fan of the franchise. He's forgettable in Inception. Plain baffling in whichever of the Batman movies it was he played Bane.

It's hardly the first time Hardy has been accused of being difficult, though, is it?

A wider point is that indefensible behaviour is too often excused by the alleged genius of the actor - there's a long and reprehensible line of "difficult" actors whose performances are alleged to outweigh the off-camera behaviour. Bollocks to that. You can be a nice person, and still create great work. Nobody has a bad word to say about Neil Innes, whereas there are plenty willing to badmouth his Rutles collaborator Eric Idle.

To bring it back to Hardy, even if astonishing performances were a valid defence - which they aren't - is he even that good? He is, I grant, astonishing in Bronson. But he's, well, mediocre in Fury Road, and I say that as a huge fan of the franchise. He's forgettable in Inception. Plain baffling in whichever of the Batman movies it was he played Bane.

I'm just a bit cynical of it coming out now, 8 years after the film was made.

I think Hardy is good, very good. I wouldn't share your views on Fury Road or the Batman movies.

I also think Theron is a great actor, I admired her for years before Fury Road, even if films like Aeon Flux and Prometheus, which are panned by many here.

That doesn't mean that she is egoless though. I am skeptical about her needing protection from Hardy after a verbal run in.

Article

Difficult to judge, when you factor in that actors and actresses make their living by “telling lies”. What might be regarded as banter or playfulness in the real world, might be seen as lethal threats by someone who perceives their value as being what they’re paid per film (£10M per, in Theron’s case.)

Is there a new cut/edition of the film due out?

maximus otter

And in the book, both parties admit they despised each other. Though their hatred began to thaw as the shoot reached its end.

Back