• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

Looking at those mad characters painted white with black eye sockets reminds me of the 'Scrooloose' character - one of the kids who helped Max in Beyond the Thunderdome.

Mooks, mooks?!

Here's a nice retrospective on the old franchise. By a pommie. Really like his take on Brian May's scores for MM1 & 2.

Last edited:
Mel's Summer Vacation movie that was supposed to be his comeback (which apparently hardly anyone wanted) was surprisingly good. After all the horrible stories about him (I think he has a thread devoted to his prehistoric religious beliefs on here somewhere) I'm not sure how I feel about him aside from acknowledging he was a charismatic screen presence, as they say. Mad Max is about all I can tolerate him in unironically.
Holywood took his soul away and ate it. Completely. I think he found his mojo as a director in Apocalypto, which was magnificent.

Try these films he made before he reintegrated into the American industry.

Gallipoli
The Year Of Living Dangerously
The Bounty

Apocalypto was most excellent.
Mel should do more directing.

There were at least a couple of Mad Max board games that came out in the 80's ... I've been trying to find the one I used to play but I've just found this one instead ...

Holywood took his soul away and ate it. Completely. I think he found his mojo as a director in Apocalypto, which was magnificent.

Try these films he made before he reintegrated into the American industry.

Gallipoli
The Year Of Living Dangerously
The Bounty

Another vote for The Bounty, sir! Yes, sir! You sir, yes sir!

Shame about Mel ... I remember reading an article in an 80's magazine called Sky, I think it was detailing one of the Lethal Weapon films and Patsy Kensit was saying how much fun he was to be around and how they used to have farting contests ..

I don't have much time for The Year of Living Dangerously (one of those "never mind the slaughtered locals, what about the white folks?!" movies) or The Bounty (because nothing beats Charles Laughton) but Gallipoli has that Peter Weir goodness about it, more than any Mel goodness really.

Apocalypto I saw too close to his Christian gorefest and I could discern too many similarities - but it was his best film as director. I wonder if he'll ever direct again? He can't stick with campy bad guy roles (because ha ha he says horrible things) from now to his retirement, can he?

I don't have much time for The Year of Living Dangerously (one of those "never mind the slaughtered locals, what about the white folks?!" movies) or The Bounty (because nothing beats Charles Laughton) but Gallipoli has that Peter Weir goodness about it, more than any Mel goodness really.

Apocalypto I saw too close to his Christian gorefest and I could discern too many similarities - but it was his best film as director. I wonder if he'll ever direct again? He can't stick with campy bad guy roles (because ha ha he says horrible things) from now to his retirement, can he?

Was it Mel that made an offbeat film fairly recently that involved his character having a breakdown with his glove puppet?.

edit: yep .. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321860/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6

Yeah, that was The Beaver, directed by Jodie Foster (she's always stood by Gibson), but made just before and released just after his career-destroying controversy, so it did nothing. Mind you, I'm not sure it would have done much anyway, it's a hard film to get on with.

I hated being called a pom

Felid, the number of times I got thumped for being one , and all because of a Geordie accent as a 9 year old bairn, I wear 'fucken' pommie bastard' with pride and grace - No skip going, can take that away now. Haway the lads!!

MMFR straight review by Rob Ager. Good eye for detail. I watched the film again three nights ago and agree with most of what Rob says here. In particular, those family flashbacks are a bit weird. His wife seems to have morphed into an unknown child daughter for those. Something's yet to be revealed there.

The Economics of Mad Max and Star Trek by Tom Streithorst

WE HAVE TWO OPPOSING VISIONS of the future. In one, technology has advanced so far it seems almost magic. We blithely teleport ourselves around the planet and explore distant galaxies. We manufacture iPhones and steak dinners out of thin air, just from their component molecules. Scientific knowledge has unraveled the structure of the universe, technology allows all our needs and desires to be met with a minimum of effort.

The second is more dramatic and less idyllic. Desperate and hungry gangs of thugs roam a post apocalyptic landscape littered with the detritus of our decadent civilization, battling over the last tanker load of gasoline. In the aftermath of ecological disaster, all legitimate authority collapses and anarchy reigns. The dream we can call Star Trek, the nightmare Mad Max.

Although opposites, each story resonates because both extrapolate from current trends. Star Trek notes our remarkable technological advances and recognizes we are hurtling towards a post-scarcity economy. Mad Max reminds us our depredations of the planet may prove untenable and the Earth might just bite back.

http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/the-economics-of-mad-max-and-star-trek

I really enjoyed it. Best reboot of an 80s franchise since Tron Legacy.

Every character felt like they could have slotted into the original Mad Max movies.

Not a fan of reboots though so would have liked there to be some way that this was just a new road warrior character in the spirit of Mad Max, needn't have a name and the Mad Max franchise name just refer to the world created in the originals.

Video has been removed.

Here's the NSFW mash-up of the trailer and Mel's real-life rants...

Is Mel at it again? Not according to his publicist.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...and-spitting-at-female-photographer-in-sydney

Mel Gibson denies pushing and spitting at female photographer in Sydney
Actor and director allegedly verbally abused female News Corp photographer outside cinema, but his publicist calls account a ‘fabrication’

Mel Gibson is in Sydney to start filming Hacksaw Ridge. Photograph: Peter Parks/AFP/Getty Images
Monday 24 August 2015 13.00 AEST Last modified on Monday 24 August 2015 18.49 AEST

Save for later
Mel Gibson did not push a female photographer outside a Sydney cinema on Sunday night, his US publicist has said, calling the story “a complete fabrication”.

On Monday morning, Australian media outlets reported that the Oscar-winning actor and director had allegedly shoved, spat and shouted at News Corp Australia photographer Kristi Miller as she photographed him leaving the Palace Verona cinema in Paddington with his girlfriend, the US equestrian vaulter Rosalind Ross.

Miller told the Daily Telegraph, for whom she works: “I took a photo of Mel and his girlfriend and when I turned around he shoved my back really hard ... It shocked me because I wasn’t expecting it. I don’t know if it was his hands or elbow.”

But Gibson’s publicist Alan Nierob denied there had been any physical contact.

“Basically Mr Gibson and his friend were being harrassed by this photographer and he asked her repeatedly to stop, which she did not,” he told Guardian Australia. “There was never any physical contact whatsoever and the story being told by her is a complete fabrication of the truth.”

Nierob did not comment on Miller’s account that Gibson verbally abused her.

“He was spitting in my face as he was yelling at me, calling me a dog, saying I’m not even a human being and I will go to hell,” she told the Daily Telegraph. According to Miller, Ross calmed her partner and apologised to Miller for the outburst.

The couple had been watching David Oelhoffen’s 2014 film Far From Men, scored by Bad Seeds Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, and mingled afterwards with crowds attending a screening for the Australian Israeli film festival at the same cinema.

Surry Hills police confirmed they were investigating reports that a man “became involved in an altercation with a photographer outside a cinema on Oxford Street” at 6.20pm on Sunday.

Mel Gibson war drama Hacksaw Ridge to begin filming in NSW in September
Read more
Gibson is in Australia to start work on Hacksaw Ridge, his fifth directorial outing, which will star Andrew Garfield as Desmond Doss, a Christian conscientious objector during the second world war. Filming begins in New South Wales in September.

On Thursday night, the actor attended the Australian premiere of Matilda the Musical with Ross. Lucia, his five-year-old daughter from a brief relationship with Russian singer Oksana Grigorieva, is also in Sydney on her first trip to Australia since her father was granted joint custody.

Gibson and Grigorieva split before Lucia’s birth in 2010 but when she was eight months old, a tape emerged of Gibson’s sexist and racist rant at her mother.

In 2006, during an arrest for drink driving in Los Angeles, Gibson issued an antisemitic tirade against his arresting officer. He subsequently apologised for his “despicable” comments and pleaded guilty to the drink-driving charge, for which he was sentenced to three years probation and a series of self-help meetings.

Wouldn't blame him for pushing a paparazzi, just as long as he didn't didn't hurl anti-Semitic abuse at her.

Back