• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

I was sad to read Max Aspin, the stuntman who brought so much to the series, died a couple of months ago, though not from careening over a cliff or something. Nevertheless, exactly the great kind of madman the films needed.

Watched Fury Road recently and thought it was absolute drivel.

It's like a 2 hour long Duran Duran video only without Duran Duran or any pop music, well apart from the 5 seconds where they sing "War Boys" so it sounds like "Wild Boys", which just makes it even worse.

Total non-plot where they drive up a road and then drive back the other way.

Maybe they could have just done a fifteen minute version and got Duran Duran back for it. :rofl:

Outstanding. That's the Max I remember ~ the Road Warrior ~ the Man With No Name. To understand him, you have to go back to a different time ~ a time of chaos....

Outstanding. That's the Max I remember ~ the Road Warrior ~ the Man With No Name. To understand him, you have to go back to a different time ~ a time of chaos....

When warriors roamed the wasteland?

Trailer for Mad Shelia is the Chinese Mad Max ripoff you never knew you wanted

While we wait for that rumored Imperator Furiosa (played by Charlize Theron) Mad Max: Fury Road movie prequel to hit the road (pun intended), we may have the next best thing — a Chinese movie that totally rips off George Miller’s Mad Max.

Titled Mad Shelia, the movie takes us to a post-apocalyptic dune-covered wasteland that looks an awful lot like the world of Max Rockatansky. Complete with the movie’s heroes being attacked by a convoy of armored vehicles, motorcycles and 4X4s, and villains plucked from Miller's world.
http://www.blastr.com/2016-11-23/trailer-mad-shelia-chinese-mad-max-ripoff-you-never-knew-you-wanted

We got through the 80s with a million Italian and Filipino Mad Max rip-offs, one more won't make a difference.

Mad Max enthusiasts converge on Silverton in celebration of epic Australian franchise
ABC Broken Hill
By Declan Gooch
Posted about 3 hours ago

Photo: Mad Max fans Kylie and Phil Montgomery at the Mundi Mundi lookout near Silverton. (ABC News: Declan Gooch)
Related Story: Family devastated by death of Mad Max bike fan
Map: Silverton 2880
Dozens of committed fans from two enthusiast groups of the Mad Max film franchise have converged on far west New South Wales, setting foot on the location of its desolate second turn The Road Warrior.

The Silverton Collective and the Wanted Dead or Alive tour made their annual pilgrimages to the region simultaneously this week.

Members of both groups are committed devotees of the post-apocalyptic Australian-made franchise which began with Mad Max, starring Mel Gibson and directed by George Miller, in 1979.

Mad Max 2, known in the US as The Road Warrior, was filmed on location near Silverton, about 20 minutes away from Broken Hill against the stark and sweeping Mundi Mundi plains.

It was on the edge of the plains that a large group of fans gathered at sunset on Monday.

"It's harsh, it's cruel, it's arid," Mad Max enthusiast Nikola Hughes said, dressed in a Mad Max-style costume.

"If you don't know how to survive out here you won't. Not in a post-apocalyptic setting."

Photo: Michael and Nikola Hughes, with their children Willow and Deyonne Reiss. (Supplied: Adrian and Linda Bennett/Mad Max Museum)

The series has inspired intense fandom around the world with overseas travellers and locals alike making the journey to Silverton.

"It was the first movie of its kind," said Californian enthusiast Phil Montgomery, dressed in mustard long-johns, a purple scarf and RAAF goggles.

"There were some movies that were milestones that create a look, and then that's repeated and copied, and I think Mad Max was one of them," Mr Montgomery said.

Photo: A scene from the original Mad Max movie starring Mel Gibson. (Supplied: Roadshow Entertainment)

"The combination of the cars and the costumes and just the fight for survival. I think that's what made it a great film."

Jim Dorsey described himself as one of the world's biggest Mad Max fans and said he travels the world, performs weddings and DJs in character as Lord Humungus from Mad Max 2.

"This was stuff that really just stirred the imagination," the New Jersey native said.

"As a young male coming into his formative macho years, this was it, man, this embodied all of that.

"So it's on the fringe, but it's not so on the fringe like a science-fiction sort of thing, that it's attainable. We can recreate this in a somewhat realistic vein."

Photo: A Mad Max enthusiast's car parked at the Mundi Mundi lookout. (ABC News: Declan Gooch)

Mr Dorsey said the distinctive Australian character of the film was not only appealing but helped to extend the country's cultural influence.

"It made Australia seem like a really cool place to be," he said.

"When I was a kid I remember doing a book report on Australia. I was into kangaroos because of that movie.

"It brought the whole 'good on you mate', it made that a cool thing. It did a lot more for Australia than you realise."

Two years since fatal accident
The gathering was bittersweet for some of the enthusiasts.

Photo: Lance Moore, 27, was a member of a fan group that re-enacted scenes from the movie Mad Max. (Source: Facebook.)

This week marked two years since the death of Lance Moore, a 27-year-old Mad Max fan from the United States who died in a motorcycle accident during a gathering of the Silverton Collective.

Mr Moore was killed when his motorcycle collided with a prime mover near Silverton.

Ms Hughes said she only met Mr Moore the day he was killed, but witnessed his last moments.

"It leaves a scar," she said.

"Honestly, everybody that was here at that event, we have become so close.

"Here we are together tonight, being a family."
Fandom knows no bounds. Is it a sickness?

great series of films, second one being the high water mark for me (desolate, raw, spare, visceral) ... its a rare and perfect piece of cinema, even if it is low budget exploitation

It's cool, but I won't be buying the DVD of a film that I've already got in colour.

what, it has a further cinema run in black and white ??? id be down for that if it was playing in the atlantic northwest

caught it tonight in one of the lesser metropolitan regions ... it stood up, particularly the storm scene

Link for the fans of the original. A list of the entire cast of Mad Max with images of the characters they played. I recognise some names I never knew had been associated with the franchise.
http://www.aveleyman.com/FilmCredit.aspx?FilmID=11779
cbe198c978972313f63eabcf3cc0592b--fury-road-mad-max.jpg

Guessing many of you Outlanders will only have seen the original with the rudely dubbed American voiceovers. Taste the real Australian vernacular as Dr M intended it to be.
1/12

Guessing many of you Outlanders will only have seen the original with the rudely dubbed American voiceovers. Taste the real Australian vernacular as Dr M intended it to be.
1/12

My Blu-ray set has a choice of Aussie and American soundtracks. I have never listened to the American one.

Guessing many of you Outlanders will only have seen the original with the rudely dubbed American voiceovers.

The first I knew of there being any alternative to the Australian soundtrack was a note appended to the 'scope VHS tape that it featured the original version. I have a fragment of the film from an old broadcast which, I am pretty sure, was not the redubbed version. The DVD, like the BluRay mentioned above, gives viewers the choice.

I think the UK film The Long Good Friday underwent similar redubbing for the American market, as did Performance, though that one was destined for the shelf. In other cases, I believe subtitles have been used where strong, regional accents were involved.

It's a rule that did not apply in reverse; I can remember sitting through many a seventies Hollywood picture, catching barely one sentence in three. It all seemed part of the experience! :conf2:

Gregory's Girl was famously dubbed into milder accents for the Americans, as was Bill Forsyth's first comedy, That Sinking Feeling. Fans were not happy when it was the dubbed version of TSF released on DVD in the UK.

Back