Madrid & Gunboat Diplomacy

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
After ignoring the referendum result and brutally suppressing the Catalan independence movement, not to mention holding show trials for 'rebellion", the Madrid regime has now sent a gunboat to order British ships out of the British waters around Gibraltar.
Don't know if the Madrid regime is chancing its arm because of the Brexit factor, but it almost seems as if Franco's jackboots can still be heard clumping up and down the corridors of the Palacio Real de Madrid.

This won't end well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rders-gibraltar-boats-to-leave-british-waters

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It will end well. For Madrid.

Once again the invertebrates of Westminster will huff and puff, yet nothing will be done.

I love that the Royal Navy deployed "...a launch and a rigid inflatable boat..." against the Spanish warship. I bet Johnny Foreigner was shitting himself.

(Memo to self: Isn't that the entire Royal Navy after years of cuts?).

maximus otter

I suspect there's not much to see here. There doesn’t seem to be any actual suggestion in the article that Madrid has sent a gunboat specifically to engineer this event; there are always Spanish naval vessels in that area, which you’d kind of expect, and is fair enough, in a territorial nexus – especially one with major smuggling routes. This sounds more like some localised sabre rattling from a chronically bored crew, rather than a ramping up of official policy. I wouldn't mind betting such stuff happens on a fairly regular basis.

Besides, I wouldn't worry - Spain is about to not have a government anymore...again. They’d have a job invading themselves just now.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
It will end well. For Madrid.
Once again the invertebrates of Westminster will huff and puff, yet nothing will be done.
I love that the Royal Navy deployed "...a launch and a rigid inflatable boat..." against the Spanish warship. I bet Johnny Foreigner was shitting himself.
(Memo to self: Isn't that the entire Royal Navy after years of cuts?).
maximus otter
However bad the RN is at the moment, the Spanish Navy has way more troubles. Spain has been all but bankrupt for the last decade.

Once again the invertebrates of Westminster will huff and puff, yet nothing will be done...
For the reasons I posted above I suspect doing not very much is exactly the right thing. Sabre rattling is normally engaged in precisely in order to get a response; in which case, Yeah...And? seems a quite sensible one to me.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Don't know if the Madrid regime is chancing its arm because of the Brexit factor...
I don’t believe so. A few years ago I visited my oldest mate in Spain, and he drove us over to Gib (my place of birth - aww!) for the day.

It took us - IIRC - four hours to get off, queuing in the blazing sun. This is routine, and due solely to Spanish petulance over sovereignty.

maximus otter

They should of told Spain piss off out of British waters.
It being on a strait, international waters impinge on what would normally be territorial waters. It may well have been just the ship's captain acting up, knowing that he could easily claim that he sailed into Gib's area in error.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I don’t believe so. A few years ago I visited my oldest mate in Spain, and he drove us over to Gib (my place of birth - aww!) for the day.

It took us - IIRC - four hours to get off, queuing in the blazing sun. This is routine, and due solely to Spanish petulance over sovereignty.

maximus otter
I was last in Gib around 4 years ago, having taken a coach excursion from the Algarve. We arrived around 10.00a.m. and were pretty well waved straight in with only a cursory passport check. We did see long queues of Spanish citizens waiting to get in, presumably to work or to stock up on cheap petrol and fags.

I almost lost my rucksack to one of the famous apes, when I took it off to retrieve something!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...the ship's captain...could easily claim that he sailed into Gib's area in error.
I’ve got GPS on my ‘phone.

Let El Capitan try that in the territorial waters of a country whose leaders have something that serves them as a spine, e.g. Russia. That sparkly little destroyer would be an adventure playground for bream in about twelve seconds flat.

maximus otter

I’ve got GPS on my ‘phone.

Let El Capitan try that in the territorial waters of a country whose leaders have something that serves them as a spine, e.g. Russia. That sparkly little destroyer would be an adventure playground for bream in about twelve seconds flat.

maximus otter
Fellow members of NATO don't fire on each others ships just because they stray into territorial waters.

If the Russians were to start playing games in the Straits of Gibraltar then the UK and Spanish navies would act in unison.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
All depends on what happens within Spain.
Catalonia is the more liberal part, which opposed Franco's fascists during the civil war and the Madrid regime seems never quite to have forgiven them. Catalonia has a more benign attitude towards Gibraltar and, if Barcelona succeeds in gaining independence, then I expect Gib will feel more secure. If, on the other hand, Madrid goes all-out fascist, then all bets are off.